Letdown Thread

Lets discuss films/shows that seemed promising but didnt quite hit the mark.

Has there been a big name scifi movie in the last ten years that doesn't fit here?

Wrong picture, OP. That movie was fantastic, best sci-fi movie in recent memory.

Arrival makes Interstellar look like Lost in Space.

Speaking of sci-fi movie, I remember when I was like 9 and my moms close friend had a daughter (19-20) who worked at the local video store. My mom arranged for the schoolbus to drop me off there because my mom worked late.
It was cool. She let me play on the PS2 display cabinet. And watch movies. And during her breaks she used to make me play this game in the backroom where I had to lie down and she'd climb on top and try to tickle me, but the twist was that she "wasnt allowed to use her hands". She invented this game and basically would dry-hump me for like 10-15 minutes at a time.

She'd be there hard grinding against my confused boner and heavy breathing, making noises and the whole time I'd be smiling like an idiot because I thought I was winning.

>mfw I realized years later she was using me to get off

I'd like to interject the idea of comparing it to contact.

but it wasnt science fiction. it was language fiction

Except this wasnt a letdown at all. It genuinely engrossing and created a complex, strong female character.

Arrival
>epic visuals
>well developed characters
>lots of suspense
>somewhat educational
>good acting
>one of my favorite subgenres (first-contact/alien invasion/pending-doomsday films)

but then the whole shit about how the thing with the daughter hasnt happened yet and the only reason she can see through time is cause she was studying a language that is used by psychic aliens that rewired her brain was kind of stupid.

reminded me of contact how the movie built up to this epic climax that was immediately killed off by the protagonists dad.

fucking hivemind man. i was writing about contact in my reply to some other anons when your reply auto loaded. all that cool alien shit just for it to be about some deceased family member.

score! got any pics of her?

ITT: people too retarded to get even a mid tier-movie.
Back to capeshit you go.

Why'd you reply to? Should have used a bigger image maybe.

imo
contact's big problem was how religion was crammed into everything just so the non believer jodie foster could attain faith after the journey she couldn't prove. also the question of how some religious nutjob managed to infiltrate the most advanced and expensive installation ever built and suicide bomb it.

contact's problem was that the conflict couldn't be solved without time travel shit

when i saw the remark about a strong female character i thought user was talking about the movie i posted as the OP.

>cause you hardly see many good movies with a female lead which is why the academy split best actor category into male and female.

>contact's problem
i meant the ARRIVAL'S problem. such an unspectacular movie I forgot the title

Literally a rom com and the technical work wasnt that good either.
All this complex camera work and lighting and it detracts from the movie more than it add.
the skyline shot was unwatchable because the camera wasnt fixed

>how some religious nutjob managed to infiltrate the most advanced and expensive installation ever built and suicide bomb it

a few reasons:
> pre 911 so terrorism wasnt a big concern back when the film was made
>harder for authorities to spy on anyone since nobody used mobile phones
>internet was a niche thing that only large corporations or lowly basement dwellers used and it was less monitored and restricted

alright I buy it

>close-ups of one facial expression: the movie

...so why even post it?

I liked it.

>Lets discuss films/shows that didn't fulfill my preconceived expectations

Fixed that for you my dear friendo

Where can I meet women like this?

the movie was doing alright up until faglo ren takes his mask off and all hopes of a villain more bad assed than darth vader are dashed.

is this movie an actual musical? (characters randomly break down into song and dance like a walt disney film)

or is it a movie about music and dance? (characters are actually dancers or musicians)

in your imagination
>but if user is telling the truth the woman might be a ham planet

but OP asked for movies that let you down?

> solved without time travel shit
There is no fucking time travel. Is amazing how many times this must be repeated.

it's an actual musical

>they both learn each others languages over a montage in the middle of the movie
>we will never get to watch as they slowly start to grasp the fine details and meaning of each others languages

so time is a flat circle huh?

>trailer is generic and boring as possible
>less sensible interstellar-tier
>promising
OP is easy to tricked into watching shit. I bet he likes capeshit too.

lame... same director of whiplash so i was hoping it was actually about people who are in the music industry (they actually play songs for a legitimate reason).

it was more like interstellar with the time bending

>the movie was doing alright up until faglo ren takes his mask off and all hopes of a villain more bad assed than darth vader are dashed.
Actually that's when it got interesting, it was all the Jakku shit that was just rehashed Tatooine for me

Trailer was shit, it let everyone believe it was a movie about ayylmao's and science, but those things were just the setting where the actual narrative of Amy Adams character relationship with life/death takes place.

Preconceived expectations are bad.

There is no time bending. Is a matter of perception. Jesus fucking Christ.

Science fiction purpose (one of its purposes, at least) is to make us think about human nature. The contrast with the unknown, like the alien, is to make us think about ourselves.
You see the border to understand where a thing is.

The Martian wasn't a letdown for me

I like you.

it sucks when they use all their best scenes or shots in the trailer instead of holding some back.

thats what i meant by time bending. never denied the fact that there was no actual time travel where the character literally skips over chunks of time.

Capeshit has ruined sci fi, or people's expectations of it.

Too early.

>enders game
>the martian
>interstellar
>cloud atlas
>gravity
>pacific rim
>the maze runner
>idiocracy
>mr nobody
>elysium
>district 9