The OA

Was it a good show? Hard to suspend disbelief in some scenes, but more honest than Stranger Things circlejerk overall.

Yes. Good show. The ending was shit tho

didn't they keep it that way, cause they didn't know whether it will be renewed for a second season?

yeah it was good

yeah real fuckin smart move that was
let's fuck over the ending CAUSE MAYBE WE'LL GET A SEQUEL

i like it a lot but dat ending tho

I watched the first episode and didn't watch anymore. Seemed to me like it was trying too hard to be meaningful and high-concept

>honest
jeez, you fell for that meme?

explain yourself user

I bet Brit and her co-writer are so hipster that they didn't see GotG, hence the ending.

Overall I almost loved it, this and young pope are faith kino of the year (though obviously very different).

i'm criticizing the use of the honest/dishonest binary that seems to be more and more prevalent here and the criticism du jour, more so than declaring a film's pretentious, which i guess had its day. i've a feeling it's being disseminated by people who misunderstand irony.

as for The OA, the narrative was flimsy and dragged on too long. it could have been told in four episodes to greater effect. i wasn't too hot on the ending, either, but that doesn't completely blight the brighter aspects of the series. i'm a sucker for Marling and continue watching if the story continues, but i don't think it's one of her better efforts. i much prefer Another Earth, Sound of My Voice, and The East.

This is literally the worst fucking show I have ever seen. It's a bunch of pseudo deep horseshit that is incredibly poorly written. If you like this you are probably a teenager that is 3deep5me. If you like this show, may I suggest that you go out and buy something shiny to stare at, as you will probably like that just as much.

Stranger Things is dishonest in the sense that it does not really have a clear concept; it just wants to be cool, to reproduce an old aesthetics without any new ideas. On the contrary, the OA wants to say something, maybe unsuccessfully, but at least it tries.

I too take words and attach new meanings to them.

In any case, Stranger Things never tried to be deep or thought provoking. It's just a run of the mill crowd pleaser. If anything I'd call the OA full of shit and watching it was a waste of time. I mean, did you watch the same finale I did?

Smelling our own farts: the show
It's a total waste of time and I won't be baited to be strung along by Brit and Batman ever again. All they can write are scenes they think are like cool film school shorts for Brit to act as herself in (the only character she knows), not a coherent story.

It's not a question of being deep or thought provoking. i personally like when movies have something to say (deep, light, funny, it does not matter) and then say it in a coherent and pleasing way. my problem with Stranger things is that it really does not have anything to say besides " 'member E.T.?".
I agree on the OA's shortcomings though, especially as for the finale.

this makes no sense, mate. not trying to belittle you, but attributing qualities such as honesty or dishonesty to entertainment is equivocation. also proves my point of misunderstanding irony. Stranger Things has a clear concept. what it doesn't have is a teleological message. it does explore similar themes as The OA: loyalty, friendship, family, etc., but in a different manner. i dug both shows but doubt i'll rush to see them again any time soon.

what's Stranger Things concept?

>i personally like when movies have something to say (deep, light, funny, it does not matter) and then say it in a coherent and pleasing way.

Okay, but it never tried to present itself as anything more. How does that make it "dishonest"?

>doesn't get it
>tries to compensate insecurity by insulting others

I get that the show didn't move quickly enough for people with ADD/ADHD. If you need something without substance that flashes quickly from one scene to another, then go back to watching vines.

However, I thought the show was incredibly well written and executed. It challenges preconceived notions about life, death, and mental illness. Was she really who she claims to be? Is she suffering from a trauma induced psychosis? If it's all legit, was the program government funded? Were the books planted by the FBI therapist? Great concept about the afterlife without getting all religious.

Well just for reference, what was The OA's concept? How fast a girl full of shit can attract a bunch of losers who are desperate to find meaning in anything?

And if so, Brit Marling already explored that concept in at least two of her previous works. She can't seem to do anything else.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha no.

I peripherally watched it because my gf did (she watches any buzzfeed recommended shit), it was entirely badly constructed faux spiritual and emotional drama, bad acting, no realism and that faggoted dance holy shit!

Disappearances and deaths of children force people who get involved to deal with their personal crises

The show is the opposite of slow, it's just bad. It involves death and school shooters and magic afterlives, so dont pretend you're watching a high character drama. Go watch the sopranos and better call saul for that.

Also it provides nothing on notions of life death and mental illness, at best it just gives a bit of hipster mysticism and calls it a day. My fuck was it a dire show designed to get a bit of the brain dead instagram audience.

I bet donnie darko had u thinkin 4 dayz.

Since when did Sup Forums users become 16 year old girls? Fuck off back to tumblr with this crap.

it's dishonest in the sense that it talks about friendship, growing up and so on, but that seems to me just an excuse to show off a cool sound track, cool vintage clothes and so on. Or maybe you could be right and I am talking Stranger Things too seriously.

*taking, not talking

You know not every show has to have a novel point? It was a semi-interesting show about scientific research into another dimension and the horror that results when it breaks out onto a small town. Set over a nostalgic tone.

The OA doesn't even have the interesting premise, though it labors on the idea that it does which makes it unaware and plain bad. It's just main characters giving hilariously out of place monologues set over panning montages with ellie goulding soundtracks whilst fitting in as many faggot minorities as possible all coming together by the power of cat jumpers and not being normal white males.

>it's dishonest in the sense that it talks about friendship, growing up and so on, but that seems to me just an excuse to show off a cool sound track, cool vintage clothes and so on.
I think I understand what you're talking about. I think you could've articulated your criticism if you hadn't latched on to some buzzword that Sup Forums likes to meme because of some reason or other. Stranger Things does authentically feature friendship and growing up. It's certainly not a deep exploration of those themes, but they're there and they're authentic. I wouldn't call Stranger Things deep by any means, and I'm sure most people realize that. I think the series could be better if it dedicated more time to examining its characters, but as it stands it prioritizes having a brisk pace and the sci-fi thriller mumbo jumbo.

stopped reading at "semi-interesting show about scientific research"

Awfully odd stopping reading halfway through a sentence so that you dont understand any of it, surely that really wastes your time?

ok let's be clearer: the fact that you consider the sci-fi aspect of Stranger things something interesting does not encourage me to take your comment seriously

ELECTROSTATIC HEADPHONES TYPIFIES THE HIPSTER UP YOUR OWN ASSEDNESS OF BRIT MARLING

I said it was semi-interesting, which it was, a bit of a silent hill/ the mist/ spielberg mashup. It did nothing new but just combined a few things nicely.

I dont rate it as a memorable show but it was competent, which is far more praise than the OA could ever fairly receive.

>using hipster in a non-ironic way
>2017
pick one

competent or lazy?

Bad show but more importantly why were all the characters in the show such helpless cucks? There's nothing more frustrating than watching characters in a drama whose sum capabilities involve whining, crying and being incredibly dumb.

I'd say the term hipster is more accepted now more than it ever was

Both?

you're probably right

you're probably a cuck