Did anyone else think this show was pretty good, but way over hyped...

Did anyone else think this show was pretty good, but way over hyped? I feel like the overall theme (1980s horror) and the the show's logo appearance and opening credits were the best parts, but the show itself and some elements within were pretty mid-tier.

But the fervor surrounding the show was crazy, people were going nuts like "YOU HAVE TO SEE IT OMG IT'S A SOLID 12 OUT OF 10 BEST SHOW EVER" ..... I'm starting to think smoking a bowl of weed was a prerequisite to enjoy this show at that level because I simply didn't see it being that amazing. Anyone else share these sentiments?

Anything even halfway decent gets hyped to ridiculous proportions. Now the bar is set really high, ready so that everyone can lose their collective shits when it doesn't live up to their preconceived standards.

the opening credits were god tier. the show was decent. every scene with wino made me want to claw my eyes out.

The cast made it good
Season 2 teaser looks promising

wew

Why are you keep posting this ugly kid?

Unironically only 90s kids understand. They enjoyed all the best of the 80s, before cell phones and internet ruined fun.

He's a sick fuckhead that gets off on the fact that she is underaged. That's solely what matters to him.

Winona Ryder was bloody terrible in that show

Literally born for the role desu

>ugly
You must be gay

It's been massively overhyped by both viewers that were alive during the 80's, but didn't actually have any cultural awareness of films from that time, so now they have an excuse to build their "pop-cred" by looking up all the references and citing them to their friends, and by millennials who are too stupid to know any better and are simply trying to fit themselves into an 80's style fandom that's an homage to movies that were released before they were alive.

The show itself was good, and the actors were fairly solid, but the characters themselves were awful cardboard cutouts of cliches. I also found the kids to be as annoying as fuck and the villains/antagonists to be completely uninteresting.

>Hollywood isn't full of pedophi-

WHY THE FUCK IS THIS ALLOWED

WHERE'S THE CPS

I think we're in a weird time in tv history where, because we've just past a golden era, most shows have learned to be at least half decent (creatively and production-wise), but the audacity to be experimental has run out. Therefore plebs can appreciate shows while they're still simple enough to follow and understand, causing them to overrate shit.

In this case Stranger Things has a clear influence from cool supernatural shows like Buffy and LOST, but isn't daring as those shows at all. Critics and audiences think it's amazing because it's a sci-fi horror show with good production values and a somewhat intriguing plot, but it's ultimately very tame and shallow so it's still accessible for the plebs.

never discussed it online or anything so I don't know too much about how it's been overhyped

but it was a nice comfy show that felt like a love letter to Stephen King's most enjoyable books, that was just good enough to be memorable for me.

It's very over-hyped. This is coming from someone who really enjoyed the shit out of it. I just didn't expect to stumble onto something that good on Netflix out of nowhere. I like Stephen King, and considering that this show was basically just really well-done, off-brand King, it pressed all the right buttons.

Hope they don't fuck it up by continuing it.

There were barely any 80s references

I hope you're fucking joking.

yah the kids were annoying little shit

>lol DnD weird nerd kids lmao

I waited for so long to watch it because every time I saw this friend of mine, this is all he would talk about. I liked it, but I knew there was no way it could live up to the bar my friend was setting for it.

the kids were great

everything else was super mediocre

the monster was one of the shittiest cgi abominations i've ever seen...

i don't get the hype either, the show is super meh besides the kids who do put up a show... the grown actors, i was expecting SOMETHING from them... guess they were simply expecting their salary...

>older sister would rather get plowed by Chad than stick with her best friend
>best friend ends up dying

What the fuck?

She died too soon.

I love Finn Wolfhard

SPBP

I don't know what that means.

You fucking autists with your "hype"

It was enjoyed by a mass audience, a wide variety of people, that's ok. Some media that is actually good has wide appeal.

Your cool niche secret club appeal will not be degraded in any way.

Fuck Stranger Things! Stupid show full of all the crappy thing from the 80s. The 80s had great stuff, like Reagan, Thatcher, the end of communism, films like Blade Runner, The Terminator, Die Hard, Wall Street, Platoon, Predator, Lethal Weapon, the 4th Dirty Harry, Kiss of the Spider Woman, Eaging Bull. It had great series like Cheers, Allo Allo and the Granada Veraion of Sherlock Holmes. It had great music, like The Cure, Queen, Peter Gabriel, INXS, even Duran fucking Duran! But no, Stranger Things had to be an elogy for the 80s, BUT WITH ALL THE SHITTY THINGS FROM THE 80S! The show is basically raping a decade, man!

It was genuinely engaging and I thought it was a solid series, but definitely overhyped. The intro is pure kino though.

Good show. What stopped it from being great was half of it being filler though, but since nobody ever seems to mention this I'm going to venture a guess and say season 2 is also going to be half filler.

I can see why people think it's over hyped, and I'm probably one of the people who over hype it, but I just love the show because I think it really nails a lot of my favorite sci-fi/conspiracy themes. The season 2 trailer looked veeeery promising in that regard.

>filler
Explain

Anything that's not action or the villain or whatever, all the talking and shit, its like we get it

I think he means the subplot with "Could have been a bigger dick" and "My autism burns" fighting over "Don't call me a whore"

she doing that shit on her own is she being coached to do that?

I agree with you, but
>LOST
>cool

The villains and the monster were flat characters. So yeah, that part could have been better.

But no, it wan't overhyped. How often do you see a something as fresh as Stranger things? It's not quite disturbing enough be count as a horror show, the 80s elements were not prominent enough to take the focus away from the storyline, and the kids acting was perfect. Anyone who watched this before the hype got out of hand definitely enjoyed it.

what did i miss?

>subplots i dont like are filler
I don't really care for the subplots with the teens either, but that don't make it filler man

I find his slightly girlish mannerisms amusing

>the monster was one of the shittiest cgi abominations i've ever seen...
The budget will be higher for the second season so hopefully they'll sort that out. I think they spent a lot on the 80s themed sets in the first season.

Yup that's what I meant, the whole cliched teen drama snorefest. Having a non-cliche ending to that subplot did not justify my bored expression throughout what I estimate to be 3 full hours of that magnificence in storytelling that we totally haven't seen thousands of times before.

But it does. It had zero to do with the plot and if you completely remove them literally nothing would be missed.

>but they needed to weaken the monster
"No!"
You could have easily just said '11 is OP' and it would've been the same result, but without 3 hours of wasted time.

>Finn
>girlish
What? You must be thinking of the other kid

No I'm thinking of Finn, his face is pretty girly and he's pretty feminine when he gets stressed with his head bobbing around

I feel like Season 2 is going to try to be too political.
Guaranteeing a line about, "Ugh can you imagine if they made a girls Ghostbusters?" followed by them all looking at each other, each saying, "I'd probably see it" one at a time.

He was more girlish than the main girl.

The so-so story is elevated by the good mix of cinematography and score that sets the tone really well. The kids' acting isn't too bad either but doesn't even come close to movies like Stand By Me. I can only really judge it when I see how season 2 holds up because the integrity of the Duffer bros relies on how hard they cave into their fans or not. I thought killing off Barb was really neat. Though I do agree that the monster CGI was trash and if they were going to make a 80s horror homage anyways they might as well have spent the extra dough on either good animations or a believable suit.

too much filler

BARB IS STILL ALIVE

Everything in relation to the teens was filler. They served no purpose in the plot.

Normies don't have any frame of reference. Along comes an alright show and they think it is the second coming or some shit.
Blame it on their lack of experience with the medium.

You heard a little bit of hype and blew it out of proportion in your head, so when you finally watched it, it couldn't possibly live up to the hype you created for it.

Wtf was it?

You know they will. Gotta milk that $$$

>muh ending

Of course it's overrated. The show itself was full of cliches but I overlooked them because, conceptually, Stranger Things is a recreation of 80s film culture. I was disappointed to hear that they were going to continue the plotline of S1 and not start anew each season.

I want to _hug Barb!