IMDB to shut down its message boards February 20th

>IMDB to shut down its message boards February 20th
theguardian.com/film/2017/feb/06/imdb-shuts-down-message-boards

Say what you will about the ads, the paid reviews, and the overall quality of the site/intelligence of the people that go there, but this actually makes me pretty sad.

If you watched an old or obscure movie and wanted to read up on it or see people talking about it, IMDB was the one place to go. Sure, you could post it here get like 3 replies from capeshit people who never saw it calling you pleb, but it's not the same. There was no other place like it on the net.

Other urls found in this thread:

hollywoodreporter.com/news/imdb-shut-down-discussion-boards-971905
ipetitions.com/petition/petition-to-keep-the-imdb-messageboards-going
change.org/p/imdb-stop-imdb-from-disabling-the-message-boards
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Sure, you could post it here get like 3 replies from capeshit people who never saw it calling you pleb, but it's not the same. There was no other place like it on the net.

Um, no what happens is one of you faggots posts one of these old movies, gets mad when no one agrees with your autistic wanna be filmspeak, get mad, deletes thread and then spams the board for 5 days until the Rustling calms down in you.

I started imdb as a lonely 7th grader Sheevposting on the RotS board until i gained a decent amount of noteriety. Grew up, started posting like a normal person and geez i've been a regular for 12 years now.

It hurts.

>IMDb says its message boards are no longer providing a positive, useful experience
Read as Amazon couldn't find a way to monetize it. IMDb will be a husk of a site designed to shill movies and hawk blu-rays by the end of March. The message boards were literally the one useful feature.

thats heartbreaking. been posting for 9 years.

there is no better place to discuss films and it was a great way to catch up with all the rumours about future seasons of a particular show.

Will they at least archive what's there now?

Doubtful. I noticed a few years ago they had started to prune old threads and slow moving boards.

Funposting boards aside, I've found a lot of good information on obscure films and animated shorts there. This is too sad.

Is this because of political correctness or an ad revenue deficit?

I don't know how you can say that with a strait face. Everytime I google an actor to see what they've been in and what they will be in, I click their IMDB page.

I'm not happy about the decision to get rid of the boards, but let's not act like it's the main reason people go to IMDB.

SHUT IT DOWN

What will happen to TheChamCham???

>giving a flying shit about a swirling turd hole like a message board let along IMDB's

I bet you post youtube comments too.

he said they were looking to find some way to put the useful information from the message boards into a permanent place on the site. no idea what he meant specifically.

Literally the ONLY place on the internet to discuss individual films

Every movie in the database has its own message board attached

Some with years worth of discussions, theories, questions

People involved in the making of them have potsed, actors, directors, extras

But nah, delete them all

Fucking Jews

One of my age old hobbies to to complain about movie propaganda. This saddens me. I guess I'll be off loading it onto Sup Forums

Who do you think curates all those pages?
Volunteers from the community. IMDb had a thriving one for a good long time and still does to a degree, although their changes throughout the years has driven a lot away.
This is the last straw though. No message boards, no community, curation goes to shit for all but the most mainstream crap.

yeah this is actually really dumb, i also think it will hurt the imdb community. was never a poster, but I grew up with my brother being an IMDB dude. I'm 22 now, he's 29. It sucks.

It was a massive shithole but still the boards for older/obscure movies could have okay discussion at times.

Is letterboxd any good for a replacement?

this is probably true. according to their statistics, only 10% of total visitors browsed their message boards, and even less posted. but those could easily the ones that used the site the most and built the pages. it's where all the contributors hung out, there was even a board for the moat active ones.

I've always held the belief that the imdb forums was the origin of many cases of cancer. This will save many lives.

RIP TheChamCham

Kill yourself

Bateman posting originated on the IMdb message board...

page-specific boards are actually pretty cool and shouldn't be removed, they're fairly harmless, might as well delete reviews

>If you watched an old or obscure movie and wanted to read up on it or see people talking about it, IMDB was the one place to go.
Are you fucking joking?
Replies were fucking NESTED.
IT WAS LIKE BEING IN 1995, FOREVER.
People go to IMDB for cast lists and trivia. NOTHING ELSE.
I pity anyone stupid enough to have spent time doing anything else on there.

>Replies were fucking NESTED.

That was only one of four options. You're clearly complaining about something you never used. Cunt.

i go for the parents guide to see if the movie contains fap material

If they don't bring it back some other website is going to profit.

The message boards were probably the biggest traffic maker.

Nigger figures movie confirmed for Best Picture Oscar Winner.

they said 90% of people who visit dont go to the boards

>Literally the ONLY place on the internet to discuss individual films
>
>Every movie in the database has its own message board attached
>
>Some with years worth of discussions, theories, questions
>
>People involved in the making of them have potsed, actors, directors, extras
>
>But nah, delete them all
>
>Fucking Jews
Pretty much. I don't understand how people don't get why this is important, it's a completely unique format that no other site has had for such a long time.

"[Amazon] know the cost of everything and the value of nothing"

It was one of Wilde's.

I didn't know the imdb forum was so popular

those fucking assholes with "signatures" with no visible separation from the message body

good riddance

>The viability of IMDb's user voting system has been called into question, as the ratings of movies by minority filmmakers receive a disproportionate amount of negative ratings
hollywoodreporter.com/news/imdb-shut-down-discussion-boards-971905

SJWs strike again. Not at all surprising from the man who owns the Washington Post

there's two petitions right now to keep the. If you are interested:

ipetitions.com/petition/petition-to-keep-the-imdb-messageboards-going
change.org/p/imdb-stop-imdb-from-disabling-the-message-boards

RIP message board though, and RIP IMDb with them

Nah, they were already killing the experience anyway. The slightest hint of political incorrectness got your post removed. Also, the fanboy syndrome on there is fucking atrocious, say one negative comment about any movie and you'll get about 35 enraged faggots telling you that you were not smart enough to understand how good it was.

nearly every board post was
>actor looks like other actor
>wtf is going on with that ending

Well, it used to be the wild west for awhile until they cracked down on moderation.
That didn't really stop people though tbqh.

pretty much

the only other two things it provides are already done better by wikipedia and rottentomatoes. the website will be shut down by the end of the year

I guess that's the problem, freedom was winning.