Does anybody here root for a team that isn't the home team from their city/state? If so, which team and why?

Does anybody here root for a team that isn't the home team from their city/state? If so, which team and why?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clube_Desportivo_Sete_de_Setembro
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

jewentus.jpg for me
>jewentus.jpg

Packers fan in Minnesota because my dad is a Packers fan and fuck rooting for a shitty team like the Viqueens.

I went to college at Michigan. I have a lot of friends in the area and a sibling. When my team isn't playing them, I'll cheer for the Lions a little. Not enough to really care or buy Lions gear, but it comes up in convo with friends, so I keep on top of more than the other 30 teams (not including my home team, of course).

I'll root for any team that plays against the patriots.

test

I've been watching football for a few years and never really had a team, until last year, I just can't help myself to not root for Dak and Zeke and the 'boys!

Palmeiras fan that lives in Santos here.

For me, it’s 1917

Vancouver Canucks -- my hometown and where I live, but I didn't grow up there.

Montreal Canadiens -- my team from when I was growing up; didn't live there, lived in a small town 500KM away, but we obviously didn't have an NHL team.

Arsenal -- lived in London, didn't have a team before that though I played all my life, including as a varsity starter.
Also partial to Montpellier (France) because I lived there, too.

NY Yankees -- INY. Love the city, the people, the energy. Been going there a lot for a long time. And because there's no Montreal Expos, anymore.

Seattle Seahawks -- Seattle is kind of a bro city with Vancouver, just a lot less expensive. Vancouver has a CFL team, but there's a big difference so Seattle is my team. And the team of thousands of Vancouverites.
Always nice to see the Seahawks jerseys and banners on the mountains at Whistler through the winter -- more and more as the playoffs progress.

Lived in Dallas too, but just didn't cotton to the Cowboys. (Or the Longhorns or Aggies, but I would never support a university I didn't actually attend, that just seems weird, awkward, and kind of fake.)

>Eagles
first NFL game I watched was Eagles - Giants as a 5 year old. Eagles wear my favorite color, green, so I chose them.

>Arsenal
I watched Cesc Fabregas break into the first team as a teen and thought that was awesome. Kept watching him Arsenal play and fell in love with their playstyle.

yeah, the team with my favorite player

rooting for a team because the drive to their stadium is the shortest is dumb as fuck. that's one of those things that only made sense in the 1910s where you really only had access to one team, but does not belong in the internet age

>what is local pride and identity
>moving teams because your boicrush moved

I like rooting for the team that played in the year 550 BC in some place that no longer exists, a game with no name, a game with an ox skull and branches. They lost that match or maybe they won, hard to tell, but it doesn't matter either way because it's fun to root for them.

1942 nailed it best.

1918 is logokino

So, you live in NYC but support LA?
Live in Manchester but support Tottenham?
And during the Olympics, do you live in teh USA but support Russia, ffs?

Atlantis Angels forever, m80!
Kings of the Razor Disc League!

Giants.

I hate the Blue Jays and bandwagoned the Giants when they were good in 2010 with cool players like Lincecum, Posey, Wilson, Bumgarner, Sandoval, etc.

Pats fan because 18-1 was the first game I watched.

I grew up in a house in NY with 5 siblings...they're all Yankees/Jets/Knicks/Rangers but I was the second youngest and felt insignificant so all my teams are out of state

This might sound like a frontrunner collection considering their recent success but I promise I've been a fan of all of these teams at least since 2004:
>Broncos - they won the SB when I was in second grade in 98 and my class had to pick who we thought would win. I chose the Broncos and stuck with them since
>Penguins - grew up loving Jagr and Alexei Kovalev
>Red Sox - red is my favorite color and I picked them in 99. I actually liked the Yankees before that but Paul O'Neil was my favorite player and when he retired I was angry
>Heat - once they drafted Wade he was my favorite player and the Heat my favorite team

I also nominally like Arsenal all because of Theirry Henry but I don't follow Premier League soccer that much

I'm not a frontrunner I swear

>born in SF in 92
>started watching football at 6
>tfw Eagles fan
I was a manlet and Westbrook was my favorite player

I'm from Buenos Aires and over here clubs """represent""" neighborhoods, not cities.
so yes, I'm pretty fucking far from River Plate's surroundings

I root for any Boston team even though I live in New York

Hated the Oilers in teh 80's because it seemed unfair to have Gretzky on your team.
Hey, I was a kid.
Now I appreciate that he was a once-in-a-million years athletic genius. Back then i almost thought Edmonton was cheating just by having him. Weird.

emphasis on having local players on teams, or not?

Born and raised in the Bronx. Love my yanks.
Fuck you.

i have a soft spot for a lot of the perennial losers like the Browns and the Jags and the Rams

not really, no.
right now we have a couple of uruguayans, a colombian and a paraguayan in our team.

but clubs here do form a lot of their own players, I guess that's how we manage to stay in the elite internationally.

West Ham because of Green Street Hooligans, would feel like bandwagoning if i followed the more other popular "champion" teams. CF Pachuca recently because of Honda and also Cruz Azul, just started following liga mx this year.
Only team i follow that is from my state is NJ Devils.

>West Ham because of Green Street Hooligans
lol you nobhead

Real Madrid

I root for Newcastle United. I like their beer and heard their fans are great. Also soccer here is kinda boring and no MLS teams in south florida.

I wish Seattle would quit dragging their feet and get the metropolitans back.

Ps. Fuck the canucks

Pps. Fuck all these Californians too

Its going to be hard considering Seattleites don't give a fuck about hockey

That's what the pps was for. I mean the thunderbird get decent attendance. Just kidding ;_;

Yeah; I live in Chicago now but I pull for the Yankees/Giants/Knicks because I lived there when I was young.

Yes

I'm a Patsfag and Arkansasfag (for cfb) who lives in Kansas. Chiefs fans are gay as fuck and Denver fans are even worse. Texas teams are not an option.

I've just always like Brady and the Patriots. I like watching good teams. That being said Arkansas has been hot garbage for as long as I've been watching them which has been about 6 years now.

>ny red sux fan
some of those siblings of yours bullied you, didn't they, you contrarian loser? well at least you aren't a pats fan too.

Spurs. I started watching footie when Derpsey transferred and have been following them ever since. Bayol was my favorite player, but I didn’t wanna bandwagon with him over to Madrid.

I’m happy too root for the failing negro, meme chink, mouthbreather and the Danish Virgin t b h

>local pride and identity tied to a corporation/business

Macfag-tier

basically majority of cowboy, pats, pack, xhecuck, and any other team thats won a ship in the past decade or mutliple in the past 30 years

and chinks all bandwagon bay area or seattle teams

No, but it feels like it some times. Very few people I know root for the Bills. It's all Giants, Jets, or Pats.

okc

when lebron left they were the most interesting team that for some reason I gravitated to, even tho he returned I still like the cavs and thunder equally

t. clevelandfag

I'm an Eagles/76ers/Pirates fan living in New Orleans. The Saints were trash growing up and my dad brainwashed me into liking Philly sports, which he picked up after moving there from the Carolinas. Mom's side of the family moved to New Orleans from Western PA. Was raised Pirates and Phillies fan but I lost interest in the Phillies because they fucking suck. Love the Sixers, really became a fan during the Iverson era, and trusted The Process. I like the Saints and Steelers but will always root for Eagles. Pelicans are fucking gay. The end.

I would never root for a team in a different state.

Since Oklahoma only has 1 non-development professional team, I don't root for a NFL or MLB team.

Teams like Bayern Munich always must have a 50% fan ownership so the fans always feel involved. So they won't do anything retarded like move the teams location which is considered heresey in Europe

Houston Rockets

Wtf bro they got davis and cousins

It's going to be like for a while until the Thunder move.

Zero interest. They fucking suck. Dell Demps is a moron GM who should've been fired a while ago.

Wyoming user here, obviously a fan of Denver teams.

I root for the Eagles, but I lived there until I was six. I barely have any memories of the city, but the memories I do have about it are nostalgic, plus my dad roots for them.

NY here. I do support the Yankees, but my other teams are from elsewhere.

>Vegas Golden Knights

As an NHL newfag, I saw that they were the new guys, and since I had no attachment to any of the teams here, I decided to go with them.

>Denver Broncos

Their retro logo really appealed to me.

>Toronto Raptors

Both NY teams aren't very good, and the Celtics didn't interest me, either. So I went with them.

>Arsenal

Sanchez caught my eye back when I first tuned in for the Premier League. He also came off as likable. Eventually, I decided to stick with Arsenal.

I'm a massive sports fan, watch them all day but not support any team

My dad only watches individual sports (motorsports, box, etc) so I didn't grow up supporting any club, and you don't become a fan as an adult

Golden State Warriors

I love how rustled people get when I say I'm a fan.

It's a club that has to balance the books. No one makes any money out of the club I support, it's a money pit if anything.

Doesn't count in my country. I mean, it's almost the rule if you are not from Buenos Aires or Rosario

Saints fan living in Boston. We moved when i was pretty young but it was always my favorite place to visit. Katrina was a horrible experience for friends and family. Ever since I cant stop pulling for them regardless of how bad they screw up

Botafogo because yes

+99% clubs in the world are, like the word says, clubs. In a literal way, with club members who vote amongst them for a president who makes the decisions

It may sound to you like an extraterrestrial shit when you grew up with the American sports system but in the rest of the world sport clubs are more than just a, lets say soccer, team. Clubs like Barcelona or Boca have a football team, a basketball team, a volleyball team, a hockey team, a gym, a pool, etc, etc. and they are non-profit oriented institutions. Of course they want money, but that money doesn't go to the owner's president because they don't have an owner, it gets invested in the club, like making a new stadium, new facilities for some amateur sport, or just buying players for your A football team

Not saying one is better and the other wose, but in the USA the sports are 100% different than in the rest of the world, for a reason you suck at all international sports

I dropped the Falcons a handful of years ago when I finally got tired of them being eternal chokers. Now I usually root for the teams that have players I like.

I've been a Raiders fan for the past couple of years because I like Carr and think hes gonna be the QB to beat for years to come.

Also cheering for the Chiefs on the side because I'm a Toledo fan so of course I like Kareem Hunt doing good things.

That's a no for both players form the city or the country
Form our initial 11 there's only one guy who is from Buenos Aires City, most of them are from small towns, a paraguayan and a uruguayan

Name of this angel?

No since the teams from here competing in the sports i like arent that good

Yeah, but there are lot of players who've been at River since they are 10 years old

Messi will always be a Barceona youth product even when he's a foreigner

all good reasons

mfw that's a shit reason

Calgary Flames.
Since 1986.

No real reason why it started, but it did. Odd chance that the doctor who pulled me out of my mom's womb was from Calgary.

Rams fan in PHX. Dad grew up a Rams fan before there was a team here.

Do you take american express!?

I am from Buffalo but I follow the Chicago Cubs. Two reasons: Buffalo doesn't have a MLB team, and my dad is a Cubs fan.

represent

Making my point

>Does anybody here root for a team that isn't the home team from their city/state?
Do people really get this triggered over something like this?

For college hockey I root for UND Fighting Sioux over the Minnesota Golden Gophers.
I do that because the Gophers are fucking retards who try to recruit meme manlets from the metro suburbs instead of big strong 218 area code bulls

Absolute pancreatic cancer tier human you are

I'm from Madrid but I support Barça cause catalans are just superior people

Steelers: Gramps was a fan
Bulls: Jordan

AZfag here. Baseball and Hockey are both in state.

>Independent for 8 seconds
>Catacucks
Lel

Steelers
First game I watched was Superbowl 40.

>Cata-strophics

I'm an Eagles and Flyers fan, but I root for the Barves in boreball. Their games were broadcast in my area when I was growing up since the shitty Nationals were still the shitty Expos back then.

My hometown team is improving, but still sucks.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clube_Desportivo_Sete_de_Setembro

Pats
Won money off of them when I was a kid

Barcelona fan in pajeetland. Also a Yankee fan cause much cancer

Mariners, because they are the closest to Vancouver and I go to Safeco a lot.
New York Giants cause of the 2008 superb owl run.

I live 2 hours north of LA in the shit part of California. I root for LA teams in everything besides football. The first madden game I played had Mike Vick on the cover and he was OP in that game so I thought he was badass and just stuck with the falcons since then.

Vikings
I like the team motif/logo/helmets/color scheme

Eventually the raiders but I live in Vegas so it evens out

Outside that all my teams have played or are from my city , LA.

Support Napoli. Dunno why, it just happened. My older cousins all support Milan so I guess Italian football was always there. Also Zlatan.

Fell in love with the team due to Cavani, Lavezzi, Hamsik and never looked back.

New York Yankees. my hometown is Miami. My dad's side of the family are all Cubans who came to the US in the early 60s long before the Marlins existed. So the Yankees have always been our team.

>not a frontrunner
>picked 3/4 teams because they won the championship/had picked up generational talent
Really boggin my noggin

Was born in Atlanta, Georgia but I'm a Yankees, Rangers, Giants and Knicks fan despite only having lived in NYC for three or so years as a very young child. My mom and dad are native New Yorkers, I've essentially just followed all my dads teams since childhood.

I do watch ATL Hawks games and loved the Korver, Millsap, Horford led teams

Out of US markets that don't have hockey seattle has the highest amount of hockey fans according to surveys AND has a lot of the demographics that fit hockey ($$$ and white)

If the 32nd team isn't in Seattle Bettman is braindead

I'm a pats fan in DC because I'm a history buff and lol

Wrong kind of whites though. Seattle has the type of whites who would find hockey's whiteness problematic, the type of white people who write articles titled "the unbearable whiteness of baseball" (which is only like 65% white), and so on. Portland also doesn't have a team for the same reason. I know I sound like a Sup Forums poster but culture and political leanings do seem to influence the popularity of different sports. That's why soccer is so wildly popular in Seattle and Portland.