/who/ - Doctor Who General

The Shakespeare Code edition. Truly one of the greatest episodes of all time, whoever wrote this should have been made showrunner.

Last thread PS next time make a new thread before it 404s

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SH0Fv73Ik0I
kickstarter.com/projects/2033983624/american-version-of-a-doctor-who-pilot-episode
twitter.com/RarityThatisMe/status/823080509190369281
julpuma512.wixsite.com/raritythatisme
youtube.com/watch?v=gIFstdtZ7cY
artinstitutes.edu/philadelphia/academics/animation-effects/media-arts-animation-degree-program
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

He's probably framing it as that because he's aware that the masses aren't particularly into the direction capaldi who's gone in to this point. By marketing it as a reboot/fresh start - regardless of if it actually is or not - it piques the interests of the people who have stopped watching it

But user is right that it's a dick move.

"Hey, Chris, here's the show. I just took a year off and then did a total fresh-start reboot, so you probably can't get away with doing that again for your first year. But I'm taking my actors, so you have to do it even though you can't. Good luck!"

>Truly one of the greatest episodes of all time, whoever wrote this should have been made showrunner.
Can't we get the guy who did The Lodger and most of the good SJA episodes and all those novels about the turtle people? He'd be a lot better than that Shakespeare Code hack.

>PS next time make a new thread before it 404s
You don't have a JS bookmarklet that loads the Sup Forums catalog, finds the first /who/, and goes there?

Bill's only signed on for this one series
What if capaldi's regeneration involves them both dying together? Except 12 regenerates because time lord

Would be interesting but almost definitely too dark considering they try to make regenerations bittersweet

Seriously, why don't people like Sleep No More? What's the general consensus on why it's allegedly bad? Be concise.

It's really murky POV where you can't see anything properly, a generic "monsters on a ship" plot with generic space marine characters, and the monsters themselves are just eye boogers. The twist ending is kind of spoopy but that's about it.

It's okay if he does a soft "fresh start", every new companion era sort of is naturally. But if he does something significant like introduce a new TARDIS interior or intro, that would be really rude.

>Because all SF/F shows from after 1989 have them. Because Buffy and X-Files were two of the shows RTD mentioned in his pitch, and he got the show brought back while Cornell and Gatiss and others didn't.
It makes sense as a marketing thing I guess, but its still silly. Season arcs work with shows that have a consistent cast of characters and settings. Doctor Who is like the anti-season arc, almost every single episode is in a total different location and time with a new supporting cast. It's surprising they've managed to make it work as well as they have, but it should've been dropped a long time ago.

Would be really interesting to see the others' pitches

"every speck of sleep dust is a biological camera" is incredibly contrived and unbelievably illogical as soon as you consider even the slightest detail about it

Not to mention it's cheating. I mean part of the appeal of a found footage film is that it places restraints on how the story is going to be told. A found footage story where the air is full of millions of cameras is just kind of pointless.

What are you listening to /who/?
youtube.com/watch?v=SH0Fv73Ik0I

>If you are generic to my ideas you have value in my heart

What did he mean by this?

He'll help them craft a really exciting plogicol.

He meant that john was a total drunk he did nothing in life he was a waste of life that's what his mother always said she abused him but he said that what made him what he is a crack head living on the side of the street he banged prostitution on the street almost every night no one knows how he afforded it. he had a child named Kevin he accidentally drowned at a pool when john wasn't paying attention he was only 6 john left his girl and died a consomme man until he was hit by a bus then good bye john.

>What did he mean by this?
Probably he mistook "generic" for "generous", because he's trying to write at a fourth-grade reading level even though he failed out of first grade. So if you're nice to him, he likes you.

But maybe that reading is too generic…

reminder that his 3D and animation experience is limited to modelling a house interior and animating the layers of a logo flying onto the screen

BILL WE NEED TO FIND THE PUZZLE PIECES

>It makes sense as a marketing thing I guess, but its still silly.
What, you don't think Key to Time is the best Four season ever, and Trial is the best season of all classic Who?

It is weird that RTD did get why continuity and canon don't work the same way for Who, but didn't get why the exact same reasoning means arcs don't work the same way for Who either.

Or maybe he did get it. None of his arcs are really arcs, and maybe he knew that, and was just trying to convince idiot TV execs and idiot critics that he was doing arcs like a proper modern fantasy is supposed to.

If so, sadly, he also convinced Moffat, who worked way harder than he should have to find ways to make arcs actually work on Doctor Who when it was never necessary to do so.

Hopefully Chibnall drops arcs, but at this point I'm worried that it's become so ingrained in Doctor Who that nobody will remove it. Like Christmas specials.

>Would be really interesting to see the others' pitches
Well, Scream of the Shalka is basically the backdoor pilot for a revised version of Cornell's original pitch.

He also promised he could get Cartmel, Platt, Aaronovitch, and probably Ian Briggs to come back, but I'm guessing the BBC wasn't too excited about that. "Oh, you've got the same writers who got the show canceled last time? Yeah, here's your check."

No idea about Gatiss was pushing, only that RTD says Gatiss had similar ideas to him at the same time and he's lucky he got the meeting first. (Which is probably him being kind to Gatiss.)

There is literally nothing wrong with this episode
10/10

I wonder how gatiss feels, losing showrunnership to RTD and then being a regular writer for 10+ years with your best friend in charge, only for someone else to get the job once he steps down. I bet he feels robbed of his dream

Well he shouldn't have been such a shit writer then.

But you can't deny his ideas are GOAT

I asked for a concise explanation why Sleep No More is generally disliked and I got six different answers in just two responses. That's not exactly helpful.

>Hopefully Chibnall drops arcs
I was thinking he'd probably go back to the RTD thing, where the arc is just people saying some word that doesn't really affect the first 10/11 episodes even after you've seen the finale.

But then I remembered Torchwood S2. John, Gray, the Time Agency, and the maybe-Dalek-maybe-not-even-though-we-stole-it-from-Benny Wars…

>I wonder how gatiss feels
What about the fact that Sherlock is run by Gatiss & Moffatt, with his name first and everything, but everyone still calls it "Sherlock, the other show by Doctor Who's Steven Moffat" without even mentioning him?

>magic puzzle pieces

>I was thinking he'd probably go back to the RTD thing, where the arc is just people saying some word that doesn't really affect the first 10/11 episodes even after you've seen the finale.
Hopefully. Most of RTD's were good this way, the one with Rose's face randomly popping up in episodes was bad though. But not quite as bad as slow dramatic zooms towards random cracks in walls, or bringing the entire plot to a standstill to show Missy for a minute.

The best season arcs, if they have to exist at all, are ones where the casual viewers don't notice but the fans do. So it's a win-win where most people don't have unrelated elements cluttering up episodes, but the nerds still get to discus online after each episode about what they think the arc is about.

>There is literally nothing wrong with this episode
1. Leela's in her second-best outfit, not her best.
2. Boucher should have become Holmes' anointed successor because of this story, but didn't because of Tom Baker throwing a hissy fit.

That's about the worst things I can think of. And #2 turned out to be good for Blake's even if not for Who.

>Spider Cyberman with eight arms

But hold on that sounds cool as hell

S8 had the best arc
Not the missy stuff, but the ongoing character development of 12 and clara that culminated in the finale with them both lying to each other because they thought it would keep them happy

What character development? I'm almost finished on my rewatch of S8 and 12 seems to be a jerk throughout the entire thing, much moreso than I remember him being. It's like they made the Colin Baker mistake again except forgot to even make him nicer.

12 and clara becoming progressively more alike

>Not the missy stuff, but the ongoing character development of 12 and clara
Yeah, character arcs are a different thing from the X-Files/B5 sense kind of plot arc, and there's no reason they can't work in Who.

Although somehow, they usually screw up the endings. Leela getting dumped on Andred like Reverse Susan, Romana staying in E-Space, Ace getting the show canceled, Rose coming back and getting Meta-Ten…

At least Big Finish sometimes gets it right, like with Evelyn.

The concise answer is there's a lot of bullshit.

>But hold on that sounds cool as hell
That sounds JNT as hell.

I'm looking forward more to some of his other ideas. Master Twin Powers Activate! Form of a cheetah! Shape of a jizz snake!

And Dalek Transformers can definitely kick Gobot ass.

Are you complaining that you got too many reasons for why an episode is shit?

>Ice Warrior Queens wanting to crash mars into the earth.
Ice Warriors Queens sounds interesting. Is Mars divided into a bunch of separate states? If so, are they matriarchal royalties, or are we talking about the Ice Warrior Kings' wives getting together to cause trouble? Or is he just talking about gay Ice Warriors (which Gary Russell already made canon)?

And why do they want to crash Mars into Earth? Are they just sick of their planet being a whole planet instead of a bunch of rubble?

Did anyone see the stage play adaptation of Robots of Death they did a few years ago at Fringe, with Avon (well, Iago) in place of Four? I'm not sure if it sounds really good or really bad.

There's a saying (I wish I could remember how it goes) about how if people give loads of different reasons for something being the case, rather than just one big reason, then it's probably not the case at all.

Sounds deep but I don't think it applies here. Lots of things can contribute to an episode being bad.

>There's a saying (I wish I could remember how it goes)
There's also a family of sayings about there being 1000 ways to fail but only 1 way to succeed.

There are tons of ways an episode has to get right to work. Screw up any one of them, and it fails. Screw up six of them, and it fails harder.

Sounds like brainlet reasoning. Sometimes things are the case for a multitude of reasons. In fact, they usually are.

>Sounds like brainlet reasoning

We're dead lads.

Nah, just sleeping.

What was the context?

kickstarter.com/projects/2033983624/american-version-of-a-doctor-who-pilot-episode

Who the fuck has pledged to him?

Clearly someone who is generic to his ideas

Presumably a Hispanic, a Caucasian, a Teen Female, a Female, a Younger Generation, and a Hispanic & Caucasian.

He knows his market.

should we feel sorry for him? or is he prick?

The only context you need is that it's /who/

probably about matt's nudes

I mean I don't think he's a douche. He's honestly just kinda sad desu.

Introducing the first USAian Doctor - Julio Pumarejo Jr.

read backwards

This is a 26 year old who seems as clueless about life as a child
Not sure how to feel about him desu

As I recall, Danny Pink Husbando user claimed he had photos of Danny's dick and someone replied to him but he revealed he was just kidding

His last project made $0.00 out of a goal of $150,000. And it was such a good project. If you missed an NFL game, you could wait a week and see him tell you who won on YouTube. With a lot of 3D models he has around put together. All he needs if $150K to buy a top-of-the-line 3D camera and computer graphics workstation, everything else is all him. Why did no one support him? It's no matter. "I don't give up. Never have, never will. Because the one man down can lift up a whole team."

I do feel bad for Art Institute, who are now publicly exposed as having given this guy a BS in Media Arts.

>BS
apt.

Good god, whats his endgame?

>200,000 dollars
>seriously thinking anyone would give some random fuck a near quarter million dollars for a shady as shit fan project that's a lawsuit in the making with literally no proof of concept besides a bunch of hastily thrown together slides containing text that showcase a frankly alarmingly weak grasp of the English language

Holy fuck. Is this /who/'s version of Paul Latza?

His """animation""" portfolio consists of a bunch of things like pic related, just logos where each layer of color obnoxiously flies into view. there's also a video of a 3D house interior that I'll assume he modelled

What the fuck do they teach at that university for this to be what a graduate shows off? I'd expect this from a first year student at most

>>I am thinking on a different level then you on everything
>tfw to intelligent to deal with plebs

Latza is actually a competent editor and was able to land a job at disney after Sup Forums pranked him. He still posts bad attempts at trying to get views on youtube but at least he's not trying to make that his career

This guy is more like chris chan, painfully unaware of his own limits

>Good god, whats his endgame?
1. Get people on the internet to buy him a really expensive camera and a hardware rendering server.
2. Make the coolest thing ever with NFL teams and Cyberspidermen.
3. Laugh at the fools at the Academy. They said he'd never amount to anything, but he'll show them all! He'll show them!

>What the fuck do they teach at that university for this to be what a graduate shows off? I'd expect this from a first year student at most
You know, AI has a page of alumni stories where successful alumni can send in their tales of how what they learned at AI helped them get a job at Pixar or become a wedding photographer or whatever.

I think this guy needs an entry.

>I really love the Vincent Van Gogh episode

Guy's got great taste desu

Only people that the depression plot hit too close to home like that episode tbqh

twitter.com/RarityThatisMe/status/823080509190369281
what did he mean by this?

>that 10k award

What a fucking steal. Better hurry up fuckers, only 3 slots available

What's with him and puzzles anyway?

Did he design these logos or just animate the layers?

It's his great idea for his doctor's arc
puzzles are mysterious just like question marks

julpuma512.wixsite.com/raritythatisme

Check out the PDF for lot of samples. I especially love the ad where he's photoshopped the can into his hand because he couldn't afford a real Fanta Grape.

Also, when it gives you his pants size, with an arrow pointing to his pants, in case you were confused.

Is this the GOAT costume variant? Big fan of the no-sleeves for 13

youtube.com/watch?v=gIFstdtZ7cY
bit surprised this didn't get funded desu

so has /who/ found their new bully target? is this what threads are going to be like for the next few weeks

artinstitutes.edu/philadelphia/academics/animation-effects/media-arts-animation-degree-program
This is his degree
american tertiary education looks shit desu

Pay attention to the fact that we're literally just observing him
We're like time lords. Only observe, never interfere

yeah, its shit

>american tertiary education looks shit desu
Well, mostly it is, but AI is special. It's a franchise with colleges across the country, mostly for people who can't get into a real art school but still want to go into debt like someone who did.

I'm looking at reviews of the place now
>Because the Art Institute schools are to the arts what McDonald's is to the culinary world.

Does that about sum it up?

/who/ just observed sammy and claudia too, still doesn't make it any less mean-spirited/boring

How are we bullying him, all his shit's out there to see, it's not like we doxed him or anything, and I doubt anyone is going to personally contact him and say hurtful things to his face

>people who have real experience with depression relate to this episode
>yeah it's shit lmao
?

Your opinions are subjective and you have no ability to force it on others.
You're welcome to not partake in the discussion if you personally find it boring.

Well, not quite like McDonald's, because every McDonalds is supposed to be identical in quality, even if that quality is on the low range of acceptable, while AI doesn't even go for that. Some programs at some franchises are actually marginally useful, because at least the teachers are people working in the field and they'll share contacts with the more promising students. But take the same course at a different campus, and your teacher will be a guy who got an AI degree 8 years ago and hasn't had a real job.

>boring

If you don't find this image even slightly humorous then you are the most boring boy scout on the planet

Sometimes /who/'s niceness goes too far. There's nothing wrong with laughing at retards on the internet, it's a time-honored tradition.

It's fucking cruel. I always figured /who/ was a bit of a safe haven away from the general nastiness of Sup Forums but I guess I was wrong, hate it when bullies come into a place and ruin it with their toxic """"humor""""

If you really want to defend this guy, how about getting angry at AI Philly for taking $78K of his money and tricking him into thinking it's going to make him a world-famous 3D designer/model/actor/producer? Surely that hurt him a lot more than at a few people laughing about him somewhere he'll never see.

anyone familiar with this

Nothing that has been done in this thread constitutes bullying. If you believe Sup Forums is inherently nasty you're better off staying on your tumblr rather than starting fights here

>plogicol

What did he mean by this?

>Some programs at some franchises are actually marginally useful
In my experience, a surprising percentage of the music recording engineers in LA under 30 came out of AI SF or AI LA, and a couple from NYC, but nobody from any other branch.

I used to un-ironically watch him around the 50th time. I watched all of his dr who vids around that time, i just wanted the missing eps that much