.>Is that you John Wayne? Is this me?

.>Is that you John Wayne? Is this me?

No seriously, unironically, what the FUCK did he mean by this and how did Hartman know what it meant?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZEk0aK-GqR0
youtube.com/watch?v=XRkyKYz5SYM&t=816s
youtube.com/watch?v=6hkNuykz2RE
youtube.com/watch?v=hTe4i2aQ0cc
youtube.com/watch?v=NFuw8u5xngo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>did your parents have any children that lived?

what did he mean by this?

you don't want the real answer you autistic memeing piece of useless shit

WHO SAID THAT? WHO THE FUCK SAID THAT?!
WHO'S THE SLIMY COMMODE OF SHIT TWINKLE TOED COCKSUCKER JUST SIGNED HIS OWN DEATH WARRANT?! NOBODY HUH?
THE FAIRY FUCKING GODMOTHER SAID IT! OUT FUCKING STANDING! I WILL PT YOU ALL UNTIL YOU FUCKING DIE! I WILL PT YOU UNTIL YOUR ASSHOLES ARE SUCKING BUTTERMILK!

Not OP but i have always wondered aswell

Yeah, I was always a bit puzzled by that line.

Now that I think about it, I'd guess that he's maybe trying to get off a clever line that just falls flat and isn't funny or clever.

Since the line doesn't make any sense to me, I'd assume it didn't make sense to Hartman either, but he could sense Modine was a joker and was trying to be cute, and *that's* what he reacted to.

I'm pretty sure hes poking fun at how all the action hero stars come off as total badasses but would really be shitting themselves if they were on the front lines

could be wrong though

I like this scene more. The way he throws the thrashcan cracks me up.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZEk0aK-GqR0

Its not meant to mean anything, other than joker mocking the sergeant. iirc its some paraphrased line taken out of some place in the book.
Its meant to introduce joker as a guy with balls, unassuming as he is. The sergeant can be as pissed off as he wants, but he still knows joker is the most headstrong of the group.
So when he tests him later with the whole "do you believe in the virgin marry" joker keeps his cool and is immediately promoted to squad leader.

Im assuming that was a way of saying he was adopted.

Nah, it's followed up with "Boy I bet they regret that"

It's a line about reconciling American cinema's heroic notions of war against the emergence of Kubrick's vision, which is equally as heightened.

Full Metal Jacket is a truer version of what plebs claim about Inglorious Basterds: that it's a movie about war movies rather than a movie about war.

This is now a Full Metal Jacket quotealong

YOU'RE SO UGLY YOU COULD BE A MODERN ART MASTERPIECE! WHATS YOUR NAME FATBODY?

"Well theres one thing you won't like, Pvt. Snowball. They don't serve fried chicken and watermelon on a daily basis in my mess hall!"

THAT NAME SOUNDS LIKE ROYALTY. ARE YOU ROYALTY?
>Sir, no, sir.
DO YOU SUCK DICKS?
>Sir, no, sir
BULLSHIT. I BET YOU COULD SUCK A GOLF BALL THROUGH A GARDEN HOSE.

SIR PRIVATE LEONARD LAWRENCE SIR

ha damn, this is how racism should be.
Lets not kill each other over it, lets just break each others balls.

DO YOU THINK I'M CUTE PRIVATE PYLE DO YOU THINK I'M FUNNY?

youtube.com/watch?v=XRkyKYz5SYM&t=816s
at 8:26 it explains how R Lee Emery went from being a consultant and trainer for the film to taking the role. Kubrick basically threw out the script and just let Emery take over the whole first half of the movie

Only faggots and sailors are named Lawrence.

Just unimaginable for Kubrick.

>Holy Jesus, What is that? WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT

Sir, a jelly donut, sir!

SHOW ME YOUR GODDAMN WARFACE Sup Forums

nyaaaa~

He was mimicking a John Wayne voice you dummies. That's why he says "is this me?" He was just saying a dumb non sequitur to fuck with the sergeant

>join military
>find out truest war movies are full metal jacket and jarhead

wew lad

>Holy dog shit! Texas? Only steers and queers come from Texas, Private Cowboy, and you don't look much like a steer to me, so that kinda narrows it down. Do you suck dicks?

Yeah, everyone knows he was mimicking John Wayne.

Now kill yourself.

Wpyp.

Yeah, I was surprised that jarhead seemed to be received so poorly. I guess it parellels the fact that civilians arent invested or interested in war like they were during Vietnam.

This stuff reminds me of middle school wrestling practice. One minute the coach would be leading us in prayer and telling us how me he loved and how much Jesus loved us and the next minute he'd be throwing desks and telling us we weren't worth shit. Lol.

>Do you suck dicks?
>So, no sir!
>Bullshit! You look like you could suck a golf ball through a garden hose

>I bet you're the kind of guy who would fuck a person in the ass and not even have the goddamn common courtesy to give him a reach-around.

My favourites

>Keeps asking guys if they're gay
>Compliments their blowjob skills
>Asks if Private Pyle thinks he's cute and funny
>tfw Hartman was just looking for a boyfriend and didn't know how to express himself
>Ended up being killed by the boy he was too tsundere to ask out

>telling us how me he loved

should be "how much he loved us"

>They don't serve fried chicken and watermelon on a daily basis in my mess hall!

This amuses me.

>One minute the coach would be leading us in prayer and telling us how me he loved and how much Jesus loved us

Do Americans actually do this?

Unironically, yes, this actually happened. That's what sports are like in the south. Baptists are odd.

We're a Christian nation. God made us the most powerful nation on earth, so why wouldn't we follow him?

God won us two world wars. He might win us a sporting event too. Doesn't hurt to ask.

He was saying Pyle looked so retarded and inbred he shouldn't have survived to adulthood

>You climb like old people FUCK, private Pyle!

Hell I like you! you can come over to my house and fuck my sister

REEEEEEEEEEEE

>Tonight, you pukes will sleep with your rifles. You will give your rifle a girl's name, because this is the only pussy you people are going to get.
>Your days of finger-banging old Mary Jane Rottencrotch through her purdy pink panties are over.

Seems kinda petty and shallow desu.

>tfw I would love being in the MArines because everyone becomes a KV and i'm on equal playing field

>break each others' balls
If there's one thing I've learned from mob movies it's to never do this with the wrong people.

Every time. It's such a small line, too.

Oh yeah, you would LOVE it in the Marines

"suck a golf ball through a garden hose" is definitely my favorite.

Scariest scene in Kubrick's filmography
youtube.com/watch?v=6hkNuykz2RE

I imagine Drill Sergeant is one of the worst postings in IRL.

s-stop it!

Negan would have been a good drill instructor.

they volunteer for it. same reason people willingly become high school teachers in cities like baltimore...

>My thoughts drift back to erect nipple wet dreams about Mary Jane Rottencrotch and the Great Homecoming Fuck Fantasy. I am so happy that I am alive, in one piece and short. I'm in a world of shit, yes. But I am alive. And I am not afraid.

>I'M GONNA RIP YOUR BALLS OFF SO YOU CANNOT CONTAMINATE THE REST OF THE WORLD!

I dont know what this means either and i've never seen a John Wayne movie, so I just assumed it was a reference to a John Wayne movie.

ME SUCKY SUCKY

The way Private Snowball backs into the pillar lol.

>Kubrick is a perfectionist, they said.

>If I'm gonna get my balls blown off for a word, my word is poontang
Adam Baldwin is underrated

HOW TALL ARE YOU PRIVATE!?

5'6 SIR!

I DIDNT KNOW THEY STACKED SHIT THAT HIGH!

No longer volunteer work anymore, it's a volun-told field now, at least in the air force

It's actually one of the most difficult to get. It's incredibly competitive and a huge point of pride to be entrusted with forming the next generation of Marines.

In the book, he thought he was an equal to John Wayne, so he went to say that line. He was in drama class during the high school.

False. The mask scene in EWS is.

Someone get my shaved head outta here!

Commode?

>u talk the talk
>but do u walk the walk?!

Why? It seems pretty cushy, as far as I'm concerned. I was in the Navy, and my Division had three RDCs (Recruit Division Commander). They had a system where they would rotate out each day, and whichever ones didn't have to stay overnight with the division got to go home.

That rota should give you an idea. It must be demanding psychologically and physically (especially if you are shouting all day).

he's a pretty cool guy.

the grunts seem to really be fans of him, to this day.

someone post the brendan fraser pasta with one of the dialogues from this movie

>lots of bugs and too dangerous

But he's leaning forward in that picture

>5'6

youtube.com/watch?v=hTe4i2aQ0cc

Gold
Poopkino

bwaahaha this fucking line

Kubrick didn't know what a reach around was so had to ask him to stop and explain to him what it was.

Full Metal Skeletor is best.
youtube.com/watch?v=NFuw8u5xngo

John Wayne did play Sgt. Stryker, a fictional Marine NCO, in the Sands of Iwo Jima, so that could be a reference.

i genuinely dont know what he meant by this

Did he mistake him for private cowboy?

why would he say "is that you john wayne" if he was imitating john wayne?

saying that would imply that he is imitating someone who is talking to john wayne

>mfw he improvised all this shit on the spot

Can we all agree that the second part of FMJ is criminally underrated?

I didn't even know people apparently disliked it, boggles my mind.

Really? When I went through lackland in 02 people were begging to get out of thier shit career fields (security forces) and get into TI.