The Matrix

Just saw this for the first time, didn't feel the amazement I was expecting. Didn't think it was bad necessarily, just don't see how its sustained popularity/relevance for so long.

I was high while watching so maybe I just couldn't follow anything.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/UQcOLSaDd1w
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_on_a_Wire
youtube.com/watch?v=6Q1XGcNVTIE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I think it's just mostly about how cool the visuals were at the time

That's like calling Half-Life the most generic fps game ever.

This

When it first came out, action scenes like that had never really been done. Now it's all over the place, but back then the scene where dodges bullets was brand new.

watching the matrix for the first time, high.

you had 1 job OP. you failed horribly.
I feel sad for you.

I don't think it's a very good film but if this general concept that we all live in a computer didn't fuck with your head I refuse to believe you're human

>just don't see how its sustained popularity/relevance for so long

Because it was a very interesting and original concept, from the story to how the action was filmed. It wasn't hard to follow unless you have adhd. Also how young are you to just now be seein gthe Matrix?

>I was high while watching so maybe I just couldn't follow anything.

it takes multiple viewings to get it all

and you were just 1/4 there for the first one

There are now kids born after 9/11 shitting up this board.

The exposition scenes are actually the best part.

how have you not seen it in all this time?? i honestly didn't see it until it came on tv in 2003, and a week later the matrix reloaded trailer came out. told all my elementary school friends about it and we all constantly tried to do the ne-yo dodging bullets shit

/thread

I'm 20

right time, right place

interwebs were still spoopy but becoming mainstream

>I was high while watching

How's high school?

>no one past 18 smokes maymayjuana

It was very influential and since you've seen 18 years of movies that came after The Matrix you've seen its influence and are not "wowed" by the original.

I've noticed that one of the big deciding factors in whether you're a pleb or patrician is if you can understand context

>I was high while watching so maybe I just couldn't follow anything.
Bingo you monkey.

imo it's amazing for the philosophy, originality and action.

If you don't like the matrix I think you're simple.

>tfw this movie is literally about transexuals

wasn't there people who literally an hero after seeing the film and the marketing of "free your mind"

Fuck you, you retarded mongrels.

The fighting, visuals and music were all top-notch and really established a unique mood, but what really set it apart was the story. It was such a unique concept (in movies) at the time, and it blew me away. I know people like to say that "art is supposed to make you think" as an excuse for not really having a message, but The Matrix forced even the plebbiest pleb to think outside the confines of their everyday lives. That was what was revolutionary about it.

Living in a world filled with retards m8...
>better get used to it

I agree, but don't act like the visuals weren't also revolutionary and are still influencing movies to this day.

>badass sci-fi action movie
>soundtrack is heavy metal shit
>now the directors have done so many drugs they turned gay and make retarded nonsense like Jupiter Ascending

The Matrix explained the Cave Allegory better than Plato could ever have done it.

It's not just a "Wow, what if we live inside a computer, lol?"
It forces you to realize that all that you know and take for granted, is merely theoretical. It also forces you to realize, that there are unknowable truths. For if it's possible that we live in the shadows cast by another reality, then we can never find out.
The Matrix condenses and explains a whole host of the most fundamental philosophical theories - and goes one step further by PROVING them to be somewhat likely in the context of our digital age.
Plato's cave, Hume's billiard balls, Socrates' Paradox, etc. - All experienced, rather than told, which means even people who are unable to conceptualize abstract idea in their own minds are exposed to and understand these ideas.

Snuck into it as a kid in theaters, admittedly fell asleep until the action bits. Saw it again a year or so later.

The second time around i was able to get it better, actually paid attention and enjoyed it.
Why its popularity lasted so long is no mystery.

I only watch comedies for the first time high, id never watch a movie i have to follow while high. Honestly not a great idea for the Matrix.

Watch it again, sober, and try to forget that youve seen movies that have copied it. Just take it for what it is.

Then. Watch it again high.

>kid
>falling asleep watching Matrix
Stop lying on the internet, you sad fuck.

This

Don't feel bad, guy. Most Millennials are unable to understand historical context as it relates to past media.

Didnt fall asleep through all of it, iirc it was only for like 15min or so. iirc i had just gotten out of seeing the spy who shagged me, so i was prob just exhausted from laughing at that.

If i wanted to lie idve said some shit like,

I snuck into the matrix when i was a kid while on a date with this chick who had huge tits. I didnt fall asleep from the movie its just that she gave me such a great bj i came like 5 times and everyone in the theater applauded. Then we finished watching the matrix. And then i actually went into the matrix. Neo gave me some super dank weed after too.

Just say sorry and leave.

ZzZzZz

Yes, a kid did kill himself. But it was explained in the Animatrix that he didn't die, bUT rather willed himself out of the matrix.

That was the same kid in Zion who was a huge Neo fan, by the way. The one who pushed the ammunition crates.

Oh look, it's another OP tries to fit in thread.

If you were high why didn't you like it? Surely this is the ultimate stoner head fuck movie

Did you know what was going to happen in advance?

>the spy who shagged me
Kïno

I pretty much knew the whole story, only thing I learned was that humans were "batteries", but only got that after it was over and some friends explained it. I knew most of the scenes but never saw the whole thing til now. And by now smoking just makes me chill and unfocused, not very "woah dude xD" anymore. Other friends recommend I see it again later on, so might do that

>only thing I learned was that humans were "batteries", but only got that after it was over and some friends explained it
Damn you must have been stoned out of your gourd. Morpheus holds up a Duracell battery and says "they turned human beings into this"

>"they turned human beings into this"
What did he mean by this?

>The Matrix explained the Cave Allegory better than Plato could ever have done it.
for normies

Neo dies
Op is a faggot

Yes, that's the point.

How was that shot???
I don't see a camera is the reflection of his glasses

Neo goes blind and then dies

OP is a massive faggot

The sequels aren't really worth a shit anyway. You are saving OP 4 hours.

digitally removed

a move many imitators forgot about

might as well do it right then, Smith becomes a Virus intent on taking over everything, even makes it into the real world, theirs lots of big dumb fights, Neo goes blind and then tricks Smith into downloading an antivirus by killing himself. Also Smith makes clones and the Oracle is a program

This. I would also argue that Alien/s suffers a similar fate.

nah their both retrograded with the tech and as such timeless

>choosing redpill over blue

One of my friends has actually said this before, kek. Some people just have no sense of appreciating things from the past.

I'd say someone watching Alien would be impressed by how real and solid the ship interior looks compared to the space movies they're used to.

Mother counting down the ship's destruction/the escape is still one of the most satisfying scenes in any film.

I don't get the DVD one.

>Didn't think it was bad necessarily, just don't see how its sustained popularity/relevance for so long.
Because it's from 1999.

You've probably seen so many newer movies that were probably influenced from the matrix in some way. So when you see the matrix it's underwhelming.

It is rare, but sometimes the logo will bounce directly into the center of the corner and won't bounce into any of the sides. Just one of those small things that can be very satisfying to see.

It was like a screen saver type thing DVD players had where the logo would just bounce around.

The 'frustrating' part if you want to call it that is that it never perfectly floated into the corner, it bounced around the edges of it always.

Oh, guess I never noticed.

Agreed. The reason it stayed so relevant was because it was a home run in every account and had a large impact on culture in that time

You must have had an interesting life

>but what really set it apart was the story. It was such a unique concept (in movies) at the time,

Not true, The Thirteenth Floor has a similar story, was released the same year but didn't have the same success.

youtu.be/UQcOLSaDd1w

I wonder how someone could not see the Matrix until the present year. Even if you were born after 99, you could've seen it at 12 and understood it.

loved the movie, but the twist wasn't really much of a twist

It's literally a perfect action film with a perfect protagonist character arc. Despite a few exposition scenes to set things up, it never feels the need to overly explain stuff to you. Neo turning around to fight Smith in the subway is one of the best hype moments ever.

They do such a good job of setting up the Agents as completely fucking unstoppable and terrifying, so even when Neo turns around to fight you're thinking "he can't win though"

>I didn't get it man I'm so stoned xd
Kill yourself, OP.

There can't possibly be a more Millennial post than this one.

the egg one is how i actually like my eggs.
i'll squish the yellow part so it flows out into the white

I still remember coming back from the movies and telling my brother he really needs to go see this.

What I don't get is why Tank and Morpheus are convinced Neo is the one after the chopper blows up and he pulls Trinity up.

Is it the chopper thing in particular, or the whole rescue? He did some impressive shit but not so far beyond the other redpills, no? Certainly not better than Trinity.

There's a way earlier movie with concepts seen later in the Matrix.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_on_a_Wire

I always took their reaction to the helicopter stunt as meaning they'd never seen a feat of bending the matrix quite that impressive before. They'd seen super strength and running on walls but holding up a helicopter was like "wow this guy could be agent-level"

Since they were still thinking you could physically beat the agents instead of the whole anti-virus thing he pulls later.

And remember, just earlier when Neo dodges the bullets Trinity tells him "I've never seen anybody move like that, you looked like one of them"

Well, he doesn't really hold up the helicopter though, he gets pulled along as it falls and then Trinity severs the rope by shooting it. He just holds onto her weight and pulls her up.

The speed thing, yeah, I can see that impressing Trinity, but Morpheus wasn't there and Tank didn't look impressed when they cut to him uploading the helicopter piloting program into Trinity.

Alien is a good film, very much unlike the Matrix.

He was exerting his will without concern for what should be possible. It's validating Morpheus' faith. Remember, he always "knew" Neo was The One.

I miss those times when a punch didn't consisted of 16 cuts

>He did some impressive shit but not so far beyond the other redpills, no?
They literally say that he was moving like an agent in that scene.

Whats wrong with the matrix user? Why is it a "bad movie?"
Inb4 overrated

It's because you lived your life in a world that had already been influenced by the matrix so you can't appreciate the influence it had.

You probably heard the theories and story 100 times before you watched it.

The older you are the less you enjoy things. If you are like 99% of the bitter neckbeard on Sup Forums nothing will amaze you

The matrix was the first film to combine themes in the way it did, it's a perfect masterpiece that will never be rivalled.

When it first came out the cinematography was legitimately mind-blowing and there seemed to be some interesting themes they were setting up to explore.

Then we got the sequels, which squandered the promise of the first movie in favour of electronic Jesus.

Funny, I just rewatched it yesterday and I was surprised at how well it holds up. For all the stylistic touches people have stolen from it, I can't think of a movie that's better at relaying exposition in a cinematic and dynamic way then the first Matrix film.

And I wish every audience POV self-insert lead was as fun as John Anderson was. Just adding those moments of humanity in his performance made it so much better, he was an actual character rather then a mouthbreathing YA lead.

The Matrix is one of those movies that doesn't hold up only because it influenced every fucking movie that came after it.

>It's because you lived your life in a world that had already been influenced by the matrix so you can't appreciate the influence it had.

It's kind of funny how relevant this is to the movie itself.

My best friend and I were 13 when this came out and like said, it opened our minds to a greater philosophical understanding of reality and really became one of the most influential pieces of media in our lives. For us, the action always took a backseat to the underlying ideas presented about questioning the nature of all things.

My friend killed himself about 10 years ago and, at the time, the idea that he had finally "found an exit", something we often joked about, was just about the only thing that kept me from trying to join him.

Not gonna let that be the last post.

I'm rewatching it now because of this thread and I'm amazed that at no point did Neo consider that he'd been drugged with hallucinogens. At least he doesn't ask it out loud.

Morpheus is being very vague about "a prison for your mind, mannnn" and offers Neo a pill. I'd be highly suspicious at that point.

Originally, humans were supposed to be like processors that the machine "life forms" and the matrix itself ran on. The studio thought it was too complicated for people to understand so they changed it to something that made less sense because hollywood.

>I was high while watching

Junkies should all fucking kill themselves. Fuck you

I like how his little nokia phone that gets mailed to him un-flips dramatically. I remember thinking that was cool, how far cell phones were advancing.

It's funny to think about now

>Just saw this for the first time
fuckin' hell, how old are you?

You do realize people born in 1997 are turning 20
It's not unthinkable that they just haven't seen the matrix yet

anonymity was a mistake

we really need age/nation/sex/etc segregation on Sup Forums
and by segregation I mean bans

>we need sex segregation
No we don't, it's all guys already

but what if I want it to be all young girls on some boards

Not true. I was in a thread on Sup Forums once. I called somebody out going "Femanon here". They ended up giving me their mobile number. We're both in Bongistan. I rang her up (after much fearing I was going to waste my credit cause I don't use phone much) and it was a chick. So they do exist.

Does your dad work at nintendo too?

youtube.com/watch?v=6Q1XGcNVTIE

Why would I lie? It's not like we met up and hate fucked while I called her a pleb and she said her tastes were shit and my collection was so much bigger than hers, just like my dick.

Take the blue bill, you wake up and believe what you want to believe. Take the red pill and I'll show you how many femanons live down the Sup Forumshole.