Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hKoLsqnKRKw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Dishonest cinema

It practices dihonest film making

What did they mean by this?

What do YOU think of it?

5 stars.

Pretty, pretty good. Sort of Oscar bait, but in a comfy way.

Let me make it really simple for you OP:
all art has value because it exists, it can show us something, even something the artist did not intend. But not all art is honest.

La La Land was dishonest , yeah and before you ask
>hurrr durrr what does dishonest mean?

It MEANS the creator did something with disingenuous intentions. they were pretentious. they did a big landscape shot, but they had no respect for the land they were shooting, it was just to look impressive. basically, using the subject rather than respecting it

In summary 'Dishonest Filmmaking' (a term Sup Forums was very smart and right to use) is basically
when a director twists and contrives a narrative and its characters in order to confirm their preconceived world view or opinions.

La La Land is the epitome of DISHONESTY.

Great movie, pretty honest too.

It's dishonest as fuck and the leads can't act or sing.

Okay, but who gives a fuck? It's a musical.

haven't seen it but it's got singing, dancing and goose so it's shit.

>they did a big landscape shot, but they had no respect for the land they were shooting, it was just to look impressive.

You mean that scene where the characters specifically talk about how the view isn't impressive?

>Okay, but who gives a fuck? It's a musical.

Holy shit this comment exudes Reddit, get outta here
>hurr durr it's fun GET OVER IT
>hurr durr who gives a shit it's supposed to be shit?!!!

See

Dishonest Filmmaking
(Tarantino, Alejandro González Iñárritu, Wes Anderson, Christopher Nolan, Alex Garland, Paul Thomas Anderson, Nicholas Refn, Tom Hooper, Tyler Perry, Rian Johnson, Alfonso Cuaron, Noah Baumbach, Andrea Arnold, David Yates, Denis Vilenueve, James Franco, Steve McQueen) are intellectually bankrupt moral whores and charlatans; their films appeal to the modern phenomenon of the 'Pretend Epic' or Pseudo Cinema, often tied to the criticism that "It was a movie that thought it was a film" they have no ideas of their own and are filmed purely to have fancy essays made about them. They obfuscate their lack of insight under a smug impenetrable irony and often contain scenes with disingenuous attempts at depth with characters spouting platitudes that the director takes VERY seriously.
This directly panders to the IMDb reddit sensibility of quote circlejerking since these hacks are masters of the fools wit, "Quipping" (Not to be confused with the marvel co-opting of the word) , it sounds smart, cool and worldly but in reality there's nothing of substance, the Revenant's attempt at spiritualism was cheap and laughable and whilst someone like Malick has considered his philosophy, Inaurritu wears his introspection on his sleeve to give his film a false sense of depth with pathetic sermonising.

THIS is Dishonest Filmmaking.

They leech the greater works that preceded them; like The Enemy being a rip off Eraserhead, but they have nothing else to say.
They act under the guise of deconstruction with surface layer obvious 'social commentary' and a quirky forgettable score praised as 'innovative'. They are all inauthentic sycophants that rely on oscar buzz and post 9/11 detachment for relevance.

These directors are hacks and will be forgotten to time.

Some notably earnest filmmakers include, but are not limited to

>Mike Leigh
>The Coen Brothers
>Werner Herzog
>James Cameron
>Mel Gibson
>Terrence Malick
>Gaspar Noe
>Clint Eastwood

>its dishonest
Seriously of all the movies to start this meme why this one

What does dishonesty have to do with alleged poor singing talent? All movies are dishonest.

>subject rather than respecting
>musical

wow really makes you think

I'm quite intrigued by this concept.

So for example, where you had that director who made that film about 9/11 or black hawk down. Where I always assumed that this is 1, or 2 of 2 things, propaganda, or general jewish like film-making where those involved feel nothing for the subject but are simply making it for money, and in these movies cases, capitalising on peoples emotions of the subject.
Sup Forums calls this dishonest film-making.

Have I understood the concept?

Yes exactly! It's vapid and cynical and the filmmaker has no authentic pull towards the ideas they are showing. THIS is DISHONESTY.

Watched La La Land.Totally overrated. Dishonest film making. Sad!

>Reddit: The Post

>The Coen Brothers
yeah I get you I will adopt this phrase IRL it is a much better concept than the way I have ever explained my opinion.

I am in no way a film buff or critic, but i can see the difference between a film that is a labour of love, and a movie that is a cash grab pulling at the heart strings of whatever social situation is prevalent at the time.

dishonesty kino

It was an okay send up to MGM musicals. I liked it.

>All movies are dishonest.

No, they aren't. Some movies tell stories that show real human emotion within the confines of what is reasonably possible. La La Land shows emotions that were out of place and in an unrealistic setting.

Take this for example:
youtube.com/watch?v=hKoLsqnKRKw

Rage, spite, revenge, and bitterness all expressed very well in a situation that makes sense. The only "honest" part of La La Land was Gosling's character selling his soul to make money.

I was with you up until you said James Cameron. That's just plain wrong

Refn is genuine but just autistic, he just seems out of touch, not fake.

Tarantino I never got the impression he was trying to be deep, he very clearly is just making enjoyable stories. When you listen to his interviews and commentary he seems focused on the art of filmmaking, not story telling focused on deep themes, which isn't the same as being void of depth but thinking you aren't like Nolan or Franco.

>all art has value because it exists
If that's true then everything is art because it exists.
And as the saying goes, if everyone is roman, no one is roman

In conclusion, Your wrong. Art doesn't have value simply because it exists

Comparing There Will Be Blood to La La Land is retarded, because La La Land is first and foremost interested in deconstructing tropes surrounding 50s musicals, not telling super hard and honest truths about relationships and the human condition.

Yes, it does attempt to say something about relationships, but it doesn't ever pretend to be poignant, honest or """"REAL"""" because it heavily uses fantasy and abstract dreams as a device to tell its story.

Bitching about its dishonest like it's offering some kind of an deep insight is pretentious and completely vapid pseudo-intelligentsia speak, it's like being at art class and getting butthurt that romanticism is dishonest because it's not of the realist school.

La La La is mainstream mindless entertainment, and there's nothing wrong with that unless you're an elitist twat.

Plus considering how Tarantino's movies are becoming more and more like schlocky as time goes on it's pretty clear he's primarily interested in making the type of entertaining but not particularly poignant trashy movies he grew up watching. The Hateful Eight even has a title card that make it feel like it was from a cheap, direct to VHS Italian romp with English dubbing.

Brilliant honestkino.

t. Went to Films, not to Film School

>unless you're an elitist twat.
It's weird, because these 'dishonest' folks seem to really wish they were part of the elite. The only films they seem able to understand are Robert Ford films. Don't get me wrong, I like Horse Soldiers as much as the next man, but it's not exactly difficult to comprehend. They wish that they could understand even the simple metaphors of a filmmaker like Refn, but they never will. It's a very Right wing understanding of art.

It was horrible predicable. If you ever saw A Star Is Born, New York New York, or even something like Te Bad And The Beautiful, you saw the entire last act coming a mile away. I was hoping for something fresh, something deconstructionist.

The visuals were tremendous, the dancing was amateur, the songs sucked.

>being this fucking new
>being this much of a redditor

It's shit

That it was terrible.

i just watched it

really boring and uninteresting

absolute kino to be dishonest

>the Revenant's attempt at spiritualism was cheap and laughable and whilst someone like Malick has considered his philosophy, Inaurritu wears his introspection on his sleeve to give his film a false sense of depth with pathetic sermonising

Why haven't I seen famous parodies of The Revenant, then?

But I'm interested in this 'dishonest filmmaking' thing; it's new to me, please go on.

>Forgettable songs
>Mediocre singing and dancing
>Un-interesting characters
>Un-interesting story
>Characters achieve their goals through luck and coincidences
>Emma Stone still looks like a frog
>Movie forgets it's a musical after the first third
>Literally two hours of Hollywood sucking its own dick

A 5/10 at best and I can't believe the critics are falling for it.

I would say it is lacking of truth

Rather that it purposely hides it or subverts it

I have never witnessed so much autism in one thread as it is in this thread.
I would congratulate but I feel you guys would just flee in fright.

Terrible post.

>I can't believe the critics are falling for it.
Maybe because not everyone shares the same opinion as you.

>>Movie forgets it's a musical after the first third
Honestly a great part of it, no bullshit filler songs where they weren't needed.

Yes, that was a good thing, considering musicals are shit.

Yet the bullshit instrumental scenes where they just dance until in space etc are fine? I can't recall a scene in anything else dragging and outstaying its welcome like that.

A musical without a single memorable song
This is what happens when you let straight people make musicals

This

I kept reading, hoping that you would say something interesting. Why did you fail so hard?

we don't, really.

>like The Enemy being a rip off Eraserhead, but they have nothing else to say

I know this is a pasta, but that makes me cringe every time.