What language are you learning?

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

Check the first few replies ITT for plenty of language resources as well as some nice image guides. /lang/ is currently short on those image guides, so if you can pitch in to help create one for a given language, don't hesitate to do so!

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup
duolingo.com/
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
memrise.com/
lingvist.com/
clozemaster.com/languages
tatoeba.org/eng/
forvo.com
effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty
lexicity.com/
cosmogyros.tumblr.com/post/108962232110/huge-new-language-learning-collection
dliflc.edu/resources/products/
en.childrenslibrary.org
hellotalk.com/#en
italki.com/
mylanguageexchange.com/
interpals.net/
gospeaky.net/
speaky.com/
polyglotclub.com/
lang-8.com/
goethe-verlag.com/
languagetransfer.org/
babadum.com
context.reverso.net/translation/
i.imgur.com/GaPEIBr.png
i.imgur.com/zAN5eMU.png
i.imgur.com/thYqRE9.png
i.imgur.com/UpCEFWl.png
i.imgur.com/ZTrFFlB.png
i.imgur.com/CzpgmUP.png
i.imgur.com/OR95Lah.jpg
i.imgur.com/Ur8PzMZ.png
i.imgur.com/InA8n4n.png
i.imgur.com/mNvOu9i.png
i.imgur.com/zhwCKlo.png
i.imgur.com/AKboS8t.jpg
i.imgur.com/IQW5sKT.png
i.imgur.com/zjjjxct.png
i.imgur.com/IgPQdj8.jpg
languagelinksdatabase.com/indonesian/
endic.naver.com/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brithenig
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Language learning resources:
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

duolingo.com/
>Duolingo is a free language-learning platform that includes a language-learning website and app, as well as a digital language proficiency assessment exam. Duolingo offers all its language courses free of charge.
>Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages.

drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
>Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages.

fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
>Drill based courses with text and audio.The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) is the United States federal government's primary training institution for employees of the U.S. foreign affairs community.These courses are all in public domain and free to download.Site may go down sometimes but you can search for fsi on google and easily find a mirror.

memrise.com/
>Free resource to learn vocabulary, nice flash cards.

lingvist.com/
>It's kinda like Clozemaster in the sense that you get a sentence and have to fill in the missing word, also has nice statistics about your progress, grammar tips and more information about a word (noun gender, verb aspects for Russian, etc.)

ankisrs.net/
>A flash card program

clozemaster.com/languages
>Clozemaster is language learning gamification through mass exposure to vocabulary in context.Can be a great supplementary tool, not recommended for absolute beginners.

tatoeba.org/eng/
>Tatoeba is a collection of sentences and translations with over 300 hundred languages to chose from.

radio.garden/
>Listen to radio all around the world through an interactive globe

forvo.com
>Has pronunciation for lots of words in lots of languages

effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty
>Check out information about languages and their difficulties

lexicity.com/
>An invaluable resource for comparative language study as well as those interested in ancient languages

cosmogyros.tumblr.com/post/108962232110/huge-new-language-learning-collection
>A very extensive language learning collection for 90+ languages.

dliflc.edu/resources/products/
>Similar to FSI, drill-based courses with text and audio issued by the US government.These courses were made for millitary personel in mind unlike FSI.

en.childrenslibrary.org
>Lots of childrens books in various languages, categories 3-5yo, 6-9yo, 10-13yo.

hellotalk.com/#en
>The app is basically whatsapp, but only connects you with people who are native in the language you are trying to learn. It also has a facebook type section where you can share pics and stuff too.

italki.com/
mylanguageexchange.com/
interpals.net/
gospeaky.net/
speaky.com/
polyglotclub.com/
lang-8.com/
>Few more language exchange communities like Hellotalk:

goethe-verlag.com/
>A mostly free site which offers audio and drill like exercises for 40+ languages.

languagetransfer.org/
>A free resource with recordings to learn a language.

babadum.com
>Flash card game with a focus on vocabulary.

context.reverso.net/translation/
>A website like Tatoeba (also has a Firefox extension!)

LANGUAGE-SPECIFIC IMAGE GUIDES/WALKTHROUGHS:

>Arabic
i.imgur.com/GaPEIBr.png

>Farsi
i.imgur.com/zAN5eMU.png

>Finnish
i.imgur.com/thYqRE9.png

>French
i.imgur.com/UpCEFWl.png

>German
i.imgur.com/ZTrFFlB.png
i.imgur.com/CzpgmUP.png

>Irish
i.imgur.com/OR95Lah.jpg

>Japanese
i.imgur.com/Ur8PzMZ.png
i.imgur.com/InA8n4n.png

>Mandarin (traditional characters)
i.imgur.com/mNvOu9i.png

>Russian
i.imgur.com/zhwCKlo.png

>Spanish
i.imgur.com/AKboS8t.jpg
i.imgur.com/IQW5sKT.png

>Swedish
i.imgur.com/zjjjxct.png

>Turkish
i.imgur.com/IgPQdj8.jpg

You forgot to put lang in your title. No matter, gets rid of the dumbasses. Anyhow my copy of Spengler's "Preussuntum und Sozialismus" came in, I have yet to touch it yet though as I'm still reading Decline of the west vol. 1.

>>まだ何も知らない気がする
I feel like I still know nothing because the more I learn, the more I realize how much there is left for me to learn. When I first started studying, I thought 10,000 words was really good. Now, as I draw nearer to that goal, I've realized that I'll eventually need a vocabulary of around 30,000 words to be as proficient as I want to be. It's that sort of thing.
>>wants to take N3/N2
I have no doubt in my mind that I would pass the N3, based on my results from the practice questions on the JLPT website (14/17 correct). I'm less sure about the N2, but that was about three months ago now, so I'm going to re-evaluate myself immediately before the registration period for the test, because if I can just barely squeeze in a passing grade for the N2 it'll be worth it. Your perceptions about the levels of the JLPT are a bit off, N3 is conversational fluency, N1 is minimum requirement for finding employment in Japan, and native level is far higher than N1.
>(idk how much vocab you searched up as you wrote that, but assuming none it sounds pretty good)
I looked up 母語 for the sake of being more succinct, but without access to a dictionary I could have expressed the same thing as 自国語 or something similar. Other than that, no reference materials.

bump, lets not die so early guys

To those who have done language exchange: who seems to be the best at learning languages? Who's the worst?

roses are red
violets are blue
omae we mou
shinde iru

Any good resources for Indonesian? Specifically for slang/informal vocab.

languagelinksdatabase.com/indonesian/

I'm in your situation, but about a level behind after six months of studying and pretty much absorbing the Core 2000. Should I take the N4, which I know I can pass, or shoot for the N3?

Thank

No problem, hope you keep at it

I'd say wait until about a week before the registration deadline (which changes each year, this year's September 29 if you're in North America), and then evaluate your skill level with the J-Cat and a practice N3 test. If the J-Cat indicates you're skilled enough (I've read that it tends to overestimate your abilities, for what it's worth), and if you do decently well on your practice N3 (AT LEAST 50% correct), then I'd shoot for the N3, while working extra hard at the things I struggled with on the practice test in the time leading up to the test.

I'd like to learn a new language but the problem is that the ones I enjoy aren't spoken anywhere near me. This makes it pretty difficult to choose and be motivated because I don't see real world progress.

I already speak the master language, I see no reason to learn another

why the fuck is improving listening so hard in French. I can read, write, and speak pretty well.

Skype. HelloTalk. Best of all—books.

TV5Monde

i am learning a new language

mandarin?

Anyone got that chart with the amount of hours studied everyday and what you should focus on ?

TIL: In persian you only go (رفتن)to places, not people.

SQL

Select
From
Where
Having
Group By

Non Anglos from irrelevant cunts are the best (eg. Lithuania, Slovenia, Denmarm) because they get taught our relevant language at a very early age, as well as a few more more. Even the kids who were dumb at school speak 2+ languahes

They also spend many more hours in English class than we spend learning French/Spanish etc

What language do I learn to talk to them?

Korean. Surprisingly, I'm not doing it because of Korean Pop or Korean Drama's.

The area I'm has become engulfed by Koreans, and respectively their culture. The shops, signs, and so forth are plastered in Korean so I figured I might as well get a sense of my living space. It'd also be easier to communicate with some of the fresh immigrants who barely speak proper English.

Oh, I forgot to mention: If any of you lot are learning Korean, or are interested in it. I've found a lot of use in endic.naver.com/

It's an English-Korean dictionary. It'll become your best friend and is very, very useful.

Anyone have resources for learning Portuguese? Also arabic

Disgusting.
Just force them to assimilate by refusing to speak anything but English.
>I don't want to go to Korea, but I will let Koreans invade my home and change us!
Just go to Korea if you want that, otherwise pretend to have some moral fabric.

i wanna fuck you up the ass

Have fun dying for breathing in the equivalent of five packs a day ching chong

have fun getting shot

>not wanting to carry guns

looks like you could use couple more English lessons as well

do you have difficulties learning the english language, Jamal?

Don't bully Ahmed, he's trying his very best, as you can see.
He's a good immigrant, as he's actively trying to learn the language of his host nation. Well done Ahmed, well done.

>Haven't done anything for a month

Does anyone know where i can get a non torrent link to Alif Baa, book and audio?

Buy it for your class. You'll want to bring it with you.
If it's not for a class, use a better resource.

What's a better resource?

All those potential gains..
That time... Gone... Lost...

Depression and discipline do not go hand in hand.

Oh well, have fun with that.

Do what I do when I can't get up. Just mindlessly do memrise on phone in bed.

I've got better books for teaching the alefbet at home. I'll post their names here when I get back, subway willing. Some are a legal Google search away.
As for all things, it really depends on what dialect you're aiming for. I really like Kallamni Arabi for Egyptian. Desert Sky is a great online resource for Egyptian too: I've met the admin and he only uses real-life example sentences. Assimil's not great in Arabic but its audios are still quite solid, though MSA only. Mastering Arabic is a solid, "dry" old-fashioned textbook.
I do like the Al-Kitaab series, but only in the setting it was designed for—that is, short intensive courses. It builds an excellent collaborative framework for a small group to "feel out" the basic mechanics of the language together with a teacher to guide them. Studying it at home alone is no good. Maybe you can find cheap or free Arabic classes in your area: I've participated in some upper level Arabic Qur'an study by saying I'm "interested" (I'm non-Muslim and very visibly so, but I have a fair amount of knowledge regarding history and practices: this definitely helps.
And remember to interact with actual speakers as soon as possible. It's very difficult to pin down the Arabic language: you have all these wildly disparate dialects, but I meet Moghrebiyyin working in Syrian stores and married to Masriyyin and speaking a weird funky mixture all the time. It's definitely the most fun and consistently surprising language I've studied for this reason, and easily my favorite. Good studies, inshallah.

Okay: for just learning to handwrite things, Mastering Arabic: A Practical Guide to the Ruq'ah script is the best I know of. Go to a big Arabic Phonology page online somewhere and absolutely nail every sound before moving on at all. Looking up random words with those sounds in them can be a good memory aid, but you absolutely need to be able to distinguish all the difficult sounds (except th and dh, which native speakers often simplify to s and z, but we have those in English, so don't be lazy.) The best way to do this is to produce the sounds first: because of the way the brain processes language, it's difficult to really hear sounds that aren't in your muscle memory, but once they're there, it's as if they always had been. After that, begin Kallamni or whatever textbook of your choice immediately, but absolutely not one instant sooner. If you can't hear the language, you can't hope to speak it.

Thanks a lot. Anons like you are what make /lang/ great.

This conlang looks nice:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brithenig

tfw B2 reading for French but A1 for anything not reading
kill me

tfw A0 for German in reading, writing, speaking, comprehending, listening, and everything else

kill me

Anyone learning Indonesian here?

Can someone decide for me whether to focus on French or Russian?

I wanted to eventually move to Europe and do some farming as I have enough saved up for such a thing to be viable after I get out of the Navy.
I was told that getting a visa to France is ridiculously hard so I'm becoming unmotivated to continue any study in it even though I practiced it for two years in school.

German

A visa for anywhere is ridiculously hard.

Give me Hebrew advice right now you cheeky cunts

Russian requirement is just 6 years of working there.

Good resources are really hard to come by. The best I know of is the Assimil, but it's in French. It's kind of a freebie if you know Arabic, so I don't know much about learning it from the ground up. If you're a Jew, you can probably find someone to help you if you don't know it already; if you're a Christian, it's still an important scriptural language, so you should be able to find a study group. Being neither, I just used Assimil and this fantastically dry old Hebrew grammar textbook they've got on Wikibooks and that pretty much did the trick and now I can read the Tanakh (quite a book that is.) I've heard that the FSI course for it is pretty good too, but I'm not planning on studying it more anytime soon.

Yeah, but then you live in Russia.
I don't know, really. Nobody can answer these major life questions except yourself.

The alefbet is pretty consistent, just practice it. Imagine it like texting where there is not a vowel.
h gs, wts gng n? = hi guys, whats going on?

here you go

>minimal study
>24 years till cat 5
wew

Cheers, I'm agnostic myself and have no Jewish heritage I'm just interested in modern Hebrew. I know there is a new assimil in English but I've never done assimils before. Is there b2 cefr claim true cause I kinda doubt it. Could you reach b1 with it? Also how did you practice the grammar.
Lots of questions I know sorry :)

bump

I was just wondering what it would require to get a C2 certificate in English for example. So out of curiosity I did an online test.

Turns out it's actually quite easy. I imagine almost everyone on Sup Forums could get it. Got 100% of the answers right.

Downloaded this e-book for shits and giggles and it's actually a pretty fun language. It's like if the northern Hindustani dialects retained the case system from Sanskrit and had a lot of European loanwords.

No language learning textbook can get you to the nebulous concept of B2, though plenty of diligence and studying to the test can land you a B2 certificate. You can really only build speaking proficiency by speaking with native/fluent speakers.

> case system from Sanskrit
Oh god, the nightmares.

Anyone have resources for Portuguese or Arabic?

See the opening posts.

It's not as complicated as Sanskrit. They only have the vocative, nominative, indirect, genitive, and accusative.

It's actually quite easy and makes Romani sentences a lot shorter with more meaning.

Sanskrit has nom, acc, instrumental, dat, ablative, gen, locative, voc. But about 10 different declensions, with hundreds of exceptions. Absolute clusterfuck of a language.

Love it though.

Yeah I think it's a beautiful language. It would be a nightmare to sit down and learn though.

Sanskrit makes Latin look like a little bitch nigga language.

Any czechbros here? How useful could it be for someone in Linz to learn czech? It's between russian and czech at this point. Russian looks way better 'on paper' so to say.

skwIl

learn arabic

Agree on this point. If you learn one thoroughly, you pretty much get the other one for free (it's maybe a month or two to very good reading proficiency), so unless you have a particular reason to mix with Israelis, you should learn Arabic.

I downloaded assimil spanish and have been working at it this past week. At first I had just started writing down conjugation tables and trying to memorize them but it wasn't really working for me

Anyway now that I have assimil it's pretty cool and I'm getting used to it, but I guess there's evidently latin american spanish assimil too. I kinda don't want to stop what I'm doing with the book I have now but I'm pretty much learning spanish for latin america.

Should I switch and find a torrent of latin american spanish or do you think it will be ok as a sort of intro to the language?

There isn't a huge difference. It depends on which accent you're going for. I would switch, especially since Latin American Spanish speakers where I am constantly tell me how much they hate Castillian, but that's me.
Also, don't memorize conjugation tables—the time you have to put in to memorize that little thing has such limited returns in that it ~only~ gives you a limited, "technical" understanding of how it works. Read and listen to a lot of the language and Romance conjugation will start to feel quite natural.

bump

bump

Thanks a lot ! I need to step up my game with Chinese

I'm studying Esperanto. I have been for about 3 and a half weeks now and I joined a kikebook group so I could chat with other speakers.

To my dismay, most Esperantists are very hardcore leftists and embrace communism and are very anti-white, anti-Christian, and pro-world government.

I'm already in too deep though. I really enjoy the simplicity of the language and the word forming, but 99% of the people who use it are insufferable cunts.

Persiananon, what resources are you using?

I never really understood the point of Esperanto. It doesn't give you access to any culture, media and there is barely any speaker.
This language was created to be the world language but everyone speaks English already just fine sooo.

I know. I just learned it because it's easy and I don't have a lot of time between working and going to school to study a real language.

I just wanted to see what it felt like to be able to talk in another language without using a translator.

Hopefully when I graduate and get a career I can study an actual language though. I'm never going to talk to another Esperantist again. They're all pieces of shit and highly autistic.

Honestly I would quit.
3 and a half week is nothing.

Teach Yourself Complete Persian (Modern Persian/Farsi) for grammar
Pimsleur for pronunciation, vocab, and that colloquial stuff
Memrise for vocab
Forvo/Wiktionary for checking stuff (pronunciation/spelling/meaning)
A language learning discord I found on plebbit for asking native people stuff

So far, tonal languages are pretty easy if you make a point of mimicking exactly the intonation of every word you hear from a native speaker. We of non-tonal languages tend to dismiss this, but that's literally the trick. Now, if I could find native speakers of Attic Greek...

I'm convinced that the difficulty of Latin comes from the deficient methods used to teach it. So many people's accents make the Latin language sound as if it was not meant to be used by humans. And for fuck's sake, grammar is a function of the brain, not a logical puzzle to be solved anew with each try.

> difficulty of Latin
Latin is the tutorial level of languages. Literally push X to speak.

The difficulty of Latin is certainly overstated relative to what it should be. It's like Russian but the verbs are in agreement with the Western European system instead of that weird Slavic dual aspect thing, and you can recognize far more words right off the bat. Don't push yourself to put the verb in places where no Roman did, and you'll be fine.

مرسی

>tfw matched a 6'2" swiss qt on tinder
>tfw she wants to help me learn german/swissgerman
>tfw shes actually super cool and we have quite a bit in common

Is... is this the fabled swiss gf that everyone has been telling me to get?

>tfw a russian speak slowly on the phone near me
thanks for the free practice russian lad

Tall girls are no good. You can't lay comfortably, while your dick is at her ass, while spooning. She has to be 10-15cm lower than you

Not with that attitude.

Dream girl is a 6'3" Russian beefcake woman called Olga

>Not wanting to be the small spoon to the giant qt amazonian goddess

Not wanting a petit girl with curves you can absolutely dominant and throw around like it pleases you