Frenchbros, why are your movies so goddamn pretentious and boring...

Frenchbros, why are your movies so goddamn pretentious and boring? You guys inspire directors from other non-hollywoodian countries to be pretentious as well.

youtube.com/watch?v=fbAohexT0Ho

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Fs0XYssIlbo
linternaute.com/cinema/business/films-francais-les-plus-vus-des-50-dernieres-annees/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

the word pretentious is pretentious
pleb

they are good because they are supremely pretentious

>t. Pleb

pleb

>so goddamn pretentious and boring
this nigga never saw Taxi, i reckon

godard's shit is the worst
the cancer spread
film pretentious shit and pretentious idiots will glorify you. and call everyone else plebs
he looks jew, too

It's all style over substance

i wish our movies were still pretentious
nowadays our movies are utter shit, clearly you don't know much about french cinema but all there is is retarded low brow comedy

>all french cinema is godard

phew lad

foreigners do not watch the same movies as we do, AT ALL
we export the pretentious movies because that's how foreigners see us that's what they will go see

but in reality most of us have not seen those movies, they are never programmed on tv
(except at 2am on the one franco-german cultural channel)
cult movies in france that EVERYBODY has seen are the dumb comedy shit like la grande vadrouille, les charlots, les bronzés or rabbi jacob
no it's not really good but it's different from what you imagine

It's a breaking away from the conventional hollywood-esque models.
Just because it's trying to be different doesnt mean its sole purpose is to be pretentious and suck your own dick. Unconventional works are a necessity to all forms of art. There's only so much you can do with a stablished formula before it becomes stale.
What about Les Choristes? It's very famous. That's the one that always comes to my head first when thinking of french cinema. It's pretty good.

I actually know you guys have "normal movies" but you are known for the pretentious stuff. I've watched some french comedies, Amelie, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly and probably something else I can't recall right now.

I watch non-hollywood movies all the time but French movies take the cake in the pretentious scale haha

To clarify: Those movies I mentioned are the normal ones I've watched

oh yeah that one we all saw too it's one of the few more drama-like movies that are cult
i liked it, it was pretty refreshing for once a modern movie about old france with white kids in a catholic school

>you are known for the pretentious stuff.
i know
it's dumb because it's not at all what we watch, and mostly not what we produce either
>Amelie,
utter shit, i hated it

>The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
wait it was a comedy ? i didn't watch it, wasn't it the thing about that guy who is 100% paralyzed and can ony communicate by bliking his eyes ?

>wasn't it the thing about that guy who is 100% paralyzed and can ony communicate by bliking his eyes ?
Yup

youtube.com/watch?v=Fs0XYssIlbo

you should watch some, culture heritage and all that

doesn't sound very funny to me kek

but yeah for example les choristes did 8 500 000 views
this very critically accliamed movie did 100 000 views
that goes to show my point

like look at this
linternaute.com/cinema/business/films-francais-les-plus-vus-des-50-dernieres-annees/

out of 21 one, 16 are popular comedies
and one is an erotic movie

i have seen some of it as i got older, it's because i have quite a few upper class friends who do watch this type of movie
most people do not know much about them

I made my reply confusing. It wasn't a comedy. It was a drama.

oh ok
was it any good ?
from what i remember a lot of people told me back then "this looks so fucking depressing i don't want to go watch that"

op itt struges with not force fed drudge.

seriously how can you even watch 99% of US movies they are literally shiting straight into your brain, its sort of a mind anesthetic, plot repeat, predictable, linear, insert music to wrench a few more feels, I mean look as star wars has become....its so bad......everything is generic to the point of becoming a cloying unfunny parody of parodies where you are the parody for watching.

for a start....99% of us movies at some point involve a gun. That how limited in thought they are. Make a point someone has to be potentially shot.

Arggggmghwabllle

It's been a long time since I've watched but I remember that liked it, but I like extremely depressing movie.
I remember another movie I watched: a horror movie called Martyrs.
And from the classic ones that I saw and enjoyed: "The 400 blows"

wow i didn't know 3 men and a baby was a remake from a french movie

i actually saw martyrs with friends like last week, it wasn't scary enough imo

the 400 blows was good yes, not all old movies are boring
but t b h go watch american movies from the 1959, for public today they'll also often be boring because we've been used to more fast-paced and less serious movies than what was produced back then

But I watch all kinds of movies. I've seen movies by Kubrick, Tarkovsky, Kurosawa, Kaurismaki, Tarr

I watched some Australian movies too like Gallipoli, The Hunter, Ten canoes and Last Ride

but no clint eastwood?

>huemonkey doesnt understand art
Shocking

Millennial """""""""""""""films""""""""""""""".

From Clint I saw:
The good the bad and the ugly, Gran Torino, Million Dollar Baby, Flags of our fathers, letters from iwo gima, changeling and invictus,

*jima

but no unforgiven?

see my point which if those guys has a US mainstream backing......?

There a reason they made and then buried idiocracy

No, maybe I should.

your far better of reading good books.

overtime, you find your not reading words but the ideas and images sort of form in you head, you dont see the words or pages anymore, basically you can transcend your meat prison for a while with a good book, in a way tha a movie just cannot compete, because it forces its views on you too much. Its sort of the laziest medium, and produces superficiality in most instances. There are exceptions, but they are few.

yes you should

you're missing Two Mules for Sister Sarah, Hang'em High, Honkytonk Man and A Perfect World

Who says a movie can't potentially offer a visual experience up to par with what you could imagine though ?
After all it's the exact same kind of figment of imagination, from another man, transposed into reality somehow. If he is talented it can match what your imagination could produce.

I mean with your logic painting is a shit art too

Are you one of those guys who think any arthouse is good as long it is arthouse?
Also, can you recommend me a film from your country? It can be any style
Thank you for the recommendations

I read as well

French comedy is based.

> Le diner des cons
> Intouchables
> Bienvenue chez les ch'tis

I understand why the French are angry at paying for masturbatory "artists" like Léos Carax though.