Screen Adaptations of Plays

Best examples? Worst examples? Why does Shakespeare specifically have such a high ratio of bad to good adaptations?

I'm a sucker for Baz Luhrmann's Romeo + Juliet though

Glengarry Glen Ross.

Best Shakespeare adaptation.

>Fetch me my longsword!
>pulls out a massive shotgun

Why don't they do this for his works that aren't terrible?

More like homo and juliet!

I guess there are a lot of bad Shakespeare adaptations because anyone can make them without having to get the rights. I mean look at this shit

Holy shit am I actually gonna have to watch this?

That sounds fucking hilarious.

Good taste senpai

Romeo + Juliet is a fucking masterpiece.

People see Shakespeare's recognizable name attached to something that already resembles a movie script and is in public domain, and they go for it.
Of course, what looks like and is treated as a movie script is actually an early-17th-century theater script with its own style and rules. In the hands of directors who think that they have a movie script and actors who aren't familiar with the archaic acting and language, the movie is guaranteed to fail.

good tastes anons

This. And frost nixon

How was Fences anyway?

also, is Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? as good as people say? I've read the play and loved it but I haven't seen it performed nor the movie

For all its faults, it's probably the most energetic Shakespeare adaptation out there. The first few acts are nuts in the best possible way.

Streetcar Named Desire is best by far.

12 Angry Men (live broadcast teleplay counts as a play).

>Why does Shakespeare specifically have such a high ratio of bad to good adaptations?

Because he is plebshit.

And that's exactly why Tromeo and Juliet is a faithful adaptation for modern times. There's nothing wrong with plebshit.

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are dead

Kurosowa did Shakespeare right. As in did an refreshingly original take by just lifting the exoskeleton of both Macbeth and King Lear and applying it to historic fictional settings in feudal Japan though Throne of Blood and Ran

Sup Forums is fucking stupid.

how did no one post pic related?