This confuses, shocks, frightens, disturbs, angers, and surprises the american

>this confuses, shocks, frightens, disturbs, angers, and surprises the american

Other urls found in this thread:

wsdot.wa.gov/Safety/roundabouts/benefits.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=6Dge2ysR0Zs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Not in New Jersey. ;)

Can confirm, most people in my city literally take a detour just to avoid this. I don't understand why, it's much more convenient, and seriously not difficult in any way possible.

I HATE this stuff but my husband doesn't mind it at all, I let him drive if we are going through one of those.

So stupid and confusing.

Like instead of going "straight" you have to drive in a giant semicircle WHY. This does not help anyone

t. american women.

>Soccermoms

>"N-NO.....AHHHHHHHH SAVE ME DRUMPFO"

It's not for the convenience of speed, is for safety.

>that webm

>bragging about using objectively inferior things
yes, this does confuse me

They're more efficient, much quicker than traffic lights. Also safer because people have to be aware of their surroundings compared to the care-free drive through traffic lights

It's more masculine.

It makes sense in a situation like that but those things have been popping up in completely unnecessary places in the city I grew up in. It doesn't confuse me but it sure does annoy the hell out of me.

Roundabouts have been proven to reduce fatalities by a huge amount, increase traffic flow as well as being superior economically.

Driving without being able to switch gears is like being fed by your mommy instead of eating yourself

>no lights so traffic keeps flowing
>have to give way to one direction for increased safety
>mostly used in urban areas to slow down traffic and decrease deaths from speeding
ah, inferior, I see

>tfw you will never bully cute americans by putting them into cars with manual transmission and having them drive through super-narrow european cities where noone gives a fuck about rules

>"M-muh masculinity"
Even newer sports car models are faster in an automatic transmission. Nothing masculine about being slower. It may seem cooler, but it's undoubtedly slower

>where noone gives a fuck about rules
??

I drive manual and back when I was in high school so did all of my friends. I notice that an increasing number of youths have no idea how to do it and it's pretty disappointing. Driving automatic takes a part of your soul away, I swear.

Go drive in an Italian city if you want experience what it feels like when 90% of people ignore traffic rules. But even here people do whatever the fuck the want in the old parts of the cities because there are typically few traffic signs and little space.

They put one in a few years ago on the U.S. side of the border near me. They built it too small so transports are forced to run up on the curb and Americans still try to drive straight through it so there are tyre marks all along the centre.

They really aren't though? Like MAYBE quicker IF traffic is low, if traffic is high on the crosstreet it takes too long. And its scary. Traffic lights are almost always better because you know you have the right of the way and everyone else is stopped accordingly.

>its scary

My husband tried to learn manual when we visited Australia...pretty much stressful disaster. I heard even the supposed big "advantage" of using manual (itself like 20+ year outdated tech), that it is better for gas mileage, isn't true anymore for newer cars.

yeah but driving manual is way more fun

What is stressful about it?
Aren't you able to hold the steering wheel with one hand for a few seconds?
Is going from 1 to 2 to 3... complicated?

Driving kills over a million people a year, its the #1 killer of young people in the US. If you aren't at least a little scared you are deluding yourself, ignorant or trying to look tough. Driving is objectively scary, you are more likely to be killed in a car than by ISIS or any mass shooter. Driving is extremely stressful at the best time.

So adding in a random circle where cars don't stop is not helping anyone.

it's so scary that we blocked off the roads and sold it as NASCAR.

>Driving is extremely stressful at the best time.
no it isnt at all

Yeah, if I could learn how to do it in less than an hour at 15 years old then I don't know what the fuck that poster's husband was doing.

>thinking there is women
>on Sup Forums

You try to switch the gear but there is complicated parts with the clutch and operating 2 pedals at once, it will constantly stall out. You can't go too fast or too slow on the clutch either or it stalls out, its ridiculous and stupidly touchy.

Same thing happened as a teenager when my dad tried to teach me to drive a stick. It would stall out and if you are at a red light its stalls when you are ready to go again, then people beep at you. You dread accelerating, braking, and starting up again, because its ridiculous work for something so simple.

My husband I think took maybe an hour just trying to drive the car across a parking lot with his aunt, he was trying to be tough/cool about it and he had to throw in the towel and now he's anti-manual too. He's the same guy who doesn't mind traffic circles.

Some people were born to wear mustaches. That guy is one of them.

Roundabouts won't be better than traffic lights in ALL locations, but they are safer and more efficient than lights

>thinking there's no women on Sup Forums

lol I've probably been on Sup Forums longer than you go back to club penguin

What's scarier, getting t-boned while crossing a traffic light intersection or a roundabout? The only way you could possibly fuck up in a roundabout is if you don't look left before you go

>And its scary.
Christ on a bike, man, grow a fucking pair. Do you shit yourself every time you merge onto the highway? Because HOLY SHIT, THAT'S LITERALLY THE SAME THING.

I would LOVE more roundabouts in my area. Anything would be better than the fucking canal locks I'm forced to slog through coming back from work.

stop larping nigger

But it's simple.
Let's say you drive 40km/h at 2.200 in 2nd. You release gas, press the clutch pedal and switch gear to 3rd. This happens in2 seconds or less. Depending on the engine you'll need 1.800-2.000 and that's exactly the spot you'll hit because the egine will slow down without gear. And you can accelerate smoothly now.

>Comes to a complete stop
>Checks both directions twice
>Accelerates slowly, right in front of car

T bones don't happen at traffic intersections unless someone is braking the rules. Waiting for traffic to clear and constantly wondering "is that a big enough space?" "is that a big enough space?" "oh no I could have gone there I missed it!" is always always more stressful than just waiting for the right of way "oh wow I got the green arrow, yay!"

roundaboots are common here, you stupid leaf. better meme about the sticks. those are rare.

And people break those rules all the time.

>he couldn't manage to learn manual
Can you even call someone a man at that point?

Imagine being this incompetent

That's super complicated and I get the feeling you wrote it out that way on purpose to mess with me. 2.200? What is that?

Trying to switch gears is really tricky because if you go to fast or too slow on the clutch it just stalls. Its hard to time exactly 2 seconds.

Merging on a highway is scary yes. Of course merging on a highway is scary. If we had lights to get onto the highway it would be less stressful of course. Ever had to merge onto a busy highway? Its scary. Ever had to handle any turn onto a busy street with no lights there and no stop signs for opposing traffic to give you the right of way? Its scary. Traffic circles are even worse because you might well have to stop depending on how heavy traffic is and "merging" from a stopped position is even worse.

Its confusing too because its hard to track your own movement in the circle. If its a simple 4 exit stop like OP, its not THAT bad (still bad) but once you add in more streets you have to count them off to keep track of where you are. This is the hardest part for me though my husband has an easier time of it (or he pretends to). Instead of "go straight" its "get off at the fifth road you pass". Ugh.

When you break a rule at a roundabout, a little fender bender or side collision at a low speed is possibly the worst you can get, because everybody is aware of their surroundings and are engaged at all times. People drive 45mph through intersections without a damn because they assume that nobody could possibly break the rules and run a red light on them. When an accident happens, it's unexpected and usually worse than at a roundabout

>all this bitching
>meanwhile I drive a manual truck with no power steering for rush deliveries every day

WOW, you didn't manage to unlearn an entire lifetime of habit from driving automatic in one fucking hour. What a surprise!

Honestly I still can't believe you used this example, merging on the highway is one of the most ridiculously stressful things, and you are pretty much saying "wouldn't it be better if we could merge onto a highway every time we wanted to make a turn?"

>thousands of roundabout threads later
>americans are still replying

honestly this is the only reason they're safer, you get a kiss on the rear instead of a drivers side impact crater.

I'm really glad you can drive your truck, good for you, I am aware people drive stick shifts, my dad and sister both used to drive them (just because they were able to get said cars for cheaper). But they are worse and more difficult in every way.

You're god damn right.

I see and understand that, but that sounds like we should teach people to follow the rules, instead of installing ridiculously complex and stressful "traffic circles" which cause people to drive cautiously out of necessity?

its fun

I'm glad poles know the proper way to use roundabouts

>Ever had to merge onto a busy highway?
My daily commute covers two interstates and a state highway. I merge into the left lane half-asleep every single day and have never once been concerned.

>Ever had to handle any turn onto a busy street with no lights there and no stop signs for opposing traffic to give you the right of way?
The Codex Competus names this maneuver "Leaving my driveway."

>merging on the highway is one of the most ridiculously stressful things

how

nigga i support building roundabouts; they also make american highway exits much better, and are cheaper than the diverging diamond to install.

kek

>merging on the highway is one of the most ridiculously stressful things

america is a fucking joke

Necessity is the only way people will follow rules, because if there is a perception that a rule is arbitrary (even if it isn't) people will ignore it. People driving at night into an intersection that looks clear may well think "Eh, there's nobody here at this time of night, fuck the light", then slam into Joe Smoe who's rushing through his green light because his pregnant wife woke him up in the middle of the night and demanded a fried pickle sandwich.

put a microwave next to it with a glass of water in it

There's only so much we can do, sure we can teach them to drive safer, thats what we do anyway, but there will always be rule breakers. and the consequence of breaking a rule at a roundabout has a significantly less impact compared to an intersection

>My daily commute covers two interstates and a state highway. I merge into the left lane half-asleep every single day and have never once been concerned.
Then you are just delusional or ignorant or trying to be TUFF. I'm aware of my own mortality and how fragile I am and I can't pretend that merging is anything but dangerous.

>The Codex Competus names this maneuver "Leaving my driveway."
You live on an busy street? I never ever envy people who live on a busy street, if I lived there I would just not.

I don't know how it is in Spain, but in the USA you have to switch between lanes the merge lane and the lane with traffic in it. There might only be a small gap for you to put your car into, and its really really hard to judge distance/speed etc. The merge lane might also be really short. Chicago has these lights that control flow on the ramps which is nice, but my old city (Detroit) did not.

Roundabouts are far superior to four way stops on less busy intersections. If it's a four way stop in a city between four buildings it becomes impractical though.

Its LITERALLY PROVEN that roundabout are better. Why are amerifats arguing about this?

>Modern roundabouts are commonplace throughout the world. Half of the world's roundabouts are in France (more than 30,000 as of 2008), although the United Kingdom has more as a proportion of the road than any other country

This is the better design cost-wise. Of course, some of my burgerbros shit their Honda Odyssey seats when they get to one of these.

whoops

watch this you shit for brain. we have more roundabouts than any country you stupid fuck
youtube.com/watch?v=6Dge2ysR0Zs

Because it's "too complicated". literally right lane if turning rights and left lane for anything else. it's like seeing 9/x = 3 and being too lazy to figure it out, even though its so fucking simple. we're just so used to following traffic lights, because its brain dead simple

I'm arguing because I find them stressful and confusing. My preference. Most of the "its better" boils down to "it forces people to go slow and decide for themselves when the coast is clear" and personally I hate deciding for myself when the coast is clear.

Glad I'm entertaining you, but what is this meme? I've been away from Sup Forums during the summer.

>There might only be a small gap for you to put your car into, and its really really hard to judge distance/speed etc.

Well I guess that's the problem. Thankfully most merging lanes here are very long so you have a lot of time to merge. There are is an old very short one here and yeah, I hate it too, you pretty much have to stop the car to check the traffic.

just take your time, no need to rush, if someone hits you from the back, it'll always be their fault. there's no need to feel pressured to make a decision. if you have to think about the coast being clear, its probably best to stay put and wait until it's undoubtedly safe. who cares about the people waiting on you

>Then you are just delusional or ignorant or trying to be TUFF
Or I'm well practiced in how to merge safely and confident in my ability.

>You live on an busy street? I never ever envy people who live on a busy street, if I lived there I would just not.
Rent's cheap, internet's decent, grocery store in walking distance, neighbors are nice enough or at least keep their shit to themselves. I'll count my blessings.

>its really really hard to judge distance/speed etc
Fuck, I've realized what the problem is. You're not a pussy bitch, you're literally disabled. Someone with normal spacial awareness has no difficulty judging speed and timing; it's literally what are brains are hard-wired to do best (well, after pattern recognition). Plus you have to deal with fucking Chicago drivers.

This is such a sweet post. Yeah that might be the way to handle it but I always feel like I am holding people up and they are getting mad at me. Now that I'm married I don't think I've touched a roundabout so it works out.

Not in california either, where it does shock assholes are in central london, they just cant grab the concept and also Amman, Jordan

I'm on your side of it but not in the sense that you should just not give a fuck about other motorists. Besides that, who in the fuck wants to get into a car accident whether they're in the right or not? Having to deal with your insurance carrier and all that other shit is just not worth it.

I had some old guy with dementia change lanes right into my vehicle and it was a huge pain in the ass. From dealing with the officer on the scene to my insurance provider man, fuck that.

I never said you shouldn't care about other motorists, they're just as important as you are and a good driver should be fully aware of all drivers in their proximity at all times. All I'm saying is just don't worry about angering the people behind you, they can be patient, it's keeping everybody safe

>most people in my city literally take a detour just to avoid this

>this confuses, shocks, frightens, disturbs, angers, and surprises the american

We have roundabouts though.

I have never owned a vehicle that wasn't manual transmission, this webm is a pretty accurate depiction of my mom trying to drive my car though.
>Not wanting more control over your vehicle
>Not wanting greater fuel efficiency
>Wanting an automatic transmission that is prone to failure and expensive to replace.

>.pretty much stressful disaster.
I'm curious now what could possibly have happened.
Worst case scenario I can even imagine is stalling out with a near dead battery and being unable to start the car...on a hill, which happened to me.
So I just put it in neutral and used the backwards momentum to start the engine again.

It's not point telling them. It goes in one ear and out the other.

>be american
>pull up to roundabout
>start crying and having a panic attack because its stressful and scary

for years Chicago has been transforming into one of the worlds most incredible cities. Still plenty of work to do -- but one thing that would be fucking amazing is roundabouts built all throughout the city (Especially in their many 6-way intersections). Traffic can be a nightmare; THIS IS FIXABLE!!