Is it possible for anyone to willingly destroy the one ring...

Is it possible for anyone to willingly destroy the one ring? Both Isildur and Frodo were corrupted by the ring in the final moments before attempting to destroy it, it was only destroyed by Gollum accidentally falling into Mount doom

Bombadil

Sauron could probably do it, if he wanted to

Can Sauron be corrupted by his own ring? or does it only answer to him

Faramir, probably Gandalf, probably some Elves, possibly also some Dwarves because of their being somewhat inscrutable to Maiar

He's the ring's master, only he can control it

The only reason it corrupted people was to get back to him.

I thought Gandalf refused to hold the ring as he was worried it would corrupt him?

Why not? It's just a piece of metal. I could easily throw it in a furnace.

If Frodo had got there a week or two earlier I reckon he'd have been alright and thrown it. My man (hobbit) spent years with that shit around his neck and it only broke Frodo right at the very end.

>maybe?
>no
>no
>no
It would have enslaved Gandalf and probably the vast majority of elves barring a few with fuckhuge powerlevels
For dwarves it wouldn't be the same but you'd never get a dwarf to part with it willingly

Worried, yes. But if he was standing at the Crack of Doom with the ring in his hand, he'd probably be able to huck it in.

A furnace would demonstrably not be enough. Anything less hot than the flames of Mt. Doom only makes the inscriptions appear while the ring stays completely cool.

Gandalf and the other wizards would probably get corrupted by the idea of "using the ring for good".

Maybe Samweis could have destroyed the ring because he never wore it himself.

fpbp
The One Ring had no power over Bombadil. He just didn't give enough fucks to destroy it himself. The saga of the Ring was beneath him.

he does wear it when rescuing Frodo

5 minutes wedged up Kim Kardashian's sweaty ass crack should do the trick

Sam wore the ring

Eh, I think Faramir would succumb over time if he had to possess the ring for the whole journey, but he's the best candidate that's not basically a demigod.

I dont think so

However, if say we shove the ring up gimli's ass would anyone be willing to take it and be known as 'The one who dug through all that shit (literally) to have the one ring in Gimli's asshole'

i dont think so, Sauron wouldnt want it back either

That's what corruption is at it's core really. Being coaxed into acting for what you believe in, and the burden of this task causes rot to set in. Road to hell is paved with good intentions and all that.

Sam could be corrupted,but it was harder for the ring than for most of its other bearers. The ring offered him blooming gardens, iirc.
Frodo also was chosen as the initial bearer because of the relative incorruptabilty of halflings, they just took too long to reach Mt Doom and the ring eventually found a way to tempt Frodo.

The ring bearers effectively sacrificed their souls to accomplish the necessary task of destroying the ring. That's why Frodo and Bilbo get to go to the West.

These. The ring's will was Sauron's will. While it seemed to have a somewhat independent mind of its own, its intelligence was wholly Sauron's, as he poured himself into the ring.

>put ring in a metal/titanium box
>put that box in a bigger box
>lock that shit with titanium lock
>give that shit to courier
>NEVER let him know that it contains the ring or how it works

would it work anons? I assume people are tempted by the ring because they know exactly what it is and what it could give

They got to go to the west because they were Syrian refugees mate

Nope. The ring was lost in water for some time was it not? It calls out to those near it, particularly the more corruptible beings. Smeagol didn't have a fucking clue what it was he just saw it shine and it corrupted him quick as fuck.

Say, what happens when you wear the ring on your penis?

No.

Frodo was the best choice, and even he couldn't do it. It has everything to do with power: Faramir, Gandalf etc. could too easily be corrupted because of how powerful they already are.

Meanwhile, in comes this weak little manlet with no desires but a comfy hole, but an iron will regardless. There's a reason why a council of the greatest minds in ME chose Frodo. He was a strong-willed little cuck who wanted nothing but comfy, of course he should be the one. In the end, Sam and Gollum (the two true heroes of the story imo) does it for him by mere happenstance; proving that absolutely no one could withstand the ring.

>Tom Bombadil
Fuck outta here. Tom automatically fails since you actually need to give a shit to be Ring-Bearer.

I too was once 9

My headcanon is that Faramir is the only being able to resist it fully.

but for what its worth, it wouldnt matter at all, everyone was close to annihilation, it was inevitable, just a matter of time before Sauron BTFO them all

Fpbp
Also chekt

If there's one thing I despise Tolkien for it's throwing bombadil into ME and causing every wanker who read FotR to spout off about how tom bombadillo could do anything better than anybody else ever

You saw it adjust size when Isildur held it, user.
It would shrink to subatomic levels.

Thanks for the feedback, bro. It's nice that you cared enough to reply, I am unloved and 9.

It's because Tom Bombadil could. He just didn't want to because being away from his wife for any length of time was unbearable to him.

>unloved and 9

Yeah Im not falling for that one again

Yep. Every fucking thread these faggots type out his name like they're revolutionary experts on Middle Earth. Battle of the Five Armies was karma.

I could wear panties if that would help?

Why are you so triggered by facts?

It's not, that's actually a big point in the books and why Sauron didn't suspect it would be destroyed. In the end it only falls into mount doom because of an accident, which is almost certainly meant to be due to divine providence, considering Tolkien's religion and study of mythology.

>It would have enslaved Gandalf
No evidence of that
>vast majority of the elves
Glorfindel was sent back to middle earth by Eru for the same reason Gandalf was
>dwarves
Eh, maybe you have me there

Because it's like saying "GOD COULD HAVE DONE IT LOL". We know already, we didn't need 6 basement-dwellers to confirm it.

>No evidence of that
Other than the part where Gandalf says it would enslave him?

>cuck
>manlet

Go back to whatever shithole board you came from

Imagine if they had actually put him in the movie. It'd be worse than "Eagles!" fags. But bringing him up in the topic of "is it possible for anyone to destroy the One Ring?" then yeah, you gotta mention him.

He says it's a possibility with grave consequences. He doesn't state it as a certain fact. The whole point of hobbits carrying it was that, if/when it corrupted them, they wouldn't be incredibly powerful with it.

You're forgetting that Sauron would have eventually overrun Middle Earth even without the ring. They had to destroy it as it was their only hope of defeating Sauron before he conquered ME.

*it was only destroyed by Eru tripping Gollum up and making him fall into Mount doom

>Bombadil could
>Except he won't

So, he can't. Gotcha.

I'm already here.

Why would Saruman "side" with Sauron when all he had to do was "side" with Gandalf and co., tell them to let him see the ring, then just take it?

I mean he obviously was not a pawn of Sauron and only wanted to wait for an opportunity to betray him and be the almighty ruler right?

Why does Sauron use orcs? He is all about order and control but his minions are reckless savages

The ring is the full brunt of Sauron's will/power made manifest. Gandalf himself said that he would try to use it for good but his efforts would be twisted by the ring, and he too would become a slave to sauron.
The ring also seems to operate in a way that makes more powerful creatures bend to its will easier/faster than others, hence a hobbit's ability to carry it longer than anybody else. Maybe some of the heroic elves could have done so, but it's doubtful given the perverse nature of the ring that they wouldn't lose their way. It's not so much a straight up power struggle as it is a race against your own hubris.

it's pointed out a lot how this task is tailored specifically not for an elf or a wizard or a queen, but for the lowly hobbit

>>>tumblr

manlet is a great word

Why didn't Frodo just put the ring on his wiener?

>I'm already here.
Thanks for clarifying that. The point here is that you need to recognize that you are cancer to this board.

It should have ended with Smeagol obtaining the ring and jumping into the lava as a sort of redemption.

>there's a literal god of Tolkien'e world
>directly interacts with the world exactly 3 times since its creation
>2 of those 3 are to help the fellowship

I mean shit Eru, why not just fucking conjure up a gust of wind to blow the ring straight into the mountain

Encase it in a large block of metal, bury it underwater and wait until space travel is invented, then launch it into deep space. The aliens can deal with it.

why didn't the dwarfs tunnel all the way to mount doom (from Moria or Blue Mountains or whatever), so that they lava could be come all the way over to them? Then they could destroy the ring, and not have to go all the way to Mordo!

If Saruman was so wise why didn't he realise the forest he was digging up was full of giant sentient trees who could fuck his shit up?

Doesn't Tolkien indicate in the books that Sauron and his kind would always scheme against eachother, so Sauron would have been on his toes I reckon. Saruman, in this instance, was blinded by his arrogance, which is a big part of why he fell.

>“Those who desire power are usually unfit to wield it” – Plato

Wow Tolkien was a genius

Eru doesn't like to interfere in the affairs of ME.

Isn't Tom unable to leave his lands or am I remembering wrong

was Sauron at the end of 3rd age stronger than the Necromancer and if yes, why? Sauron didn't have a body both times, he was just a ghost bascially without the Ring.
So what made him stronger? The belief of more orcs?!

Because to get order and control you need savages who will bully the pussies into being ordered and controlled. They probably worshipped him like a God too.

Unable or unwilling, it really doesn't matter

Eru created Ea to torment and punish his creation for Melkor's existence. That became its purpose: to cause suffering on the innocent and wicked indiscriminately until everyone comes to accept his initial plan for existence.

Lurk moar before posting, newfriend.

How exactly? Sauron's army was losing and Sauron himself couldn't do much on his own except bark orders.

I know, but he did so twice in an extremely short time span

It seems imperative for Sup Forumstards that the Ring's power is something tangible, with defined traits, and that Tolkien should've clearly stated what exactly the Ring does to someone. It's only a matter of time before they assign stats to the thing.

In the same vein we have people discussing "power levels" of LotR characters, who would win etc. While it may be fun, it's inherently meaningless.

Both of these things are intentionally vague, and for a good reason: it adds to the fantastical setting of LotR. It helps it retain some mystery and adds to the immersion, at least in the books. Sometimes, it feels like most people would want to see a physical change in people becoming corrupted by the Ring, like Isildur glowing purple or something. I don't think that's the right approach, really.

I'm sorry for using those terms. Been away from Sup Forums for a while and haven't caught up to the latest memes and board culture. Please accept my apology and start contributing shit if you're worried about board cancer.

He's still the same Sauron in both instances. When the books refer to his strength they're talking about his armies. When he is 'gathering his strength' he's literally calling orcs to him.

It would cool off by then, duh.

What are you going to do with cool lava?

When Saruman beat Gandalf why didn't he double tap? Since they're both wizards you'd think he of all people would know how much it would take to kill Gandalf yet he just left Gandalf around until the Eagles came and took him away.

>Sauron's army was losing
You fucking what? Gondor was getting shit on and would have been fucked once and for all of Aragorn didn't show up with his own army full of people with god-mode on who just happened to owe him a favour

Hubris.

Also, he wanted to convert Gandalf to his cause, not kill him outright.

>Sauron's army was losing
>no they weren't they were winning until they weren't
hurr

That raises a good question; Do the Maiar know that they will be re-raised (like Gandalf) once they die and their mission has not been fulfilled yet, or do they think they just return to Eru and chill out?

Why didn't Elrond kick Isildur's ass after he decided not to toss it in?

Gondor was still fucked until the Ring was destroyed. The dead army just helped delay shit for a few days.

That is literally how its written, saurons forces are kicking the shit out of men on the larger scale until the ring is destroyed

which is the other one

Thank you. We can't have the entire site be replicas of Sup Forums, Sup Forums, and /r9k/. It's important to at least maintain an iron clad pretense of distinction, or Sup Forums will be more easily absorbed and assimilated by the mainstream, as is already happening. Sup Forums is very good at this. Crossboarding is fine imo, but it has to be subtle, so that it is exclusively recognized by those who have lurked. And if it's apparent that someone hasn't lurked, it's imperative that our culture characteristically makes an effort to highlight that, even if it ruins the thread / board. Because it's better to have the entire board be infighting about the board's purpose, than to have no board have any purpose.

Why didn't they just ride the invincible eagles to Mordor then?

Yes and no. If frodo was handed the ring right there for the first time at mount doom and asked to destroy, he would be able to do it immediately. Heck if Sam kept the ring from the moment he took it (when Frodo was captured) he might have done it as well (though the book mention that even he was corrupted, albeit a tiny bit)

It is also mentioned several times in the movie WHY someone like Gandalf or Galadriel cant have the ring in their possession: They are far to powerful beings. Imagine that the ring sucks out and corrupts magical energi. The more "magic" you exhaust the faster the ring can consume and corrupt. So if gandalf put on the ring, or Galadriel (who as you know, was quite tempted), they would be corrupted almost instantly.

It is not explained in details in the movies, but that is exactly why it must be the hobbits who carry the ring, because they have ZERO magic affinity. They are actually naturally resistant to magic. That is why Bilbo and Frodo can carry the ring for so long before being corrupted.

they defeated Sauron and his whole army. Also I doubt even Elrond could have even "indirectly" killed Isildur. Plus he was no ordinary human (Numenorean) so Isildur could fuck up him, too. Plus, they were allies and friends - and him killing the human king would have let to a new war.

Ye, I can do it

It helps to maintain your erection.

They wouldn't have learned anything.

oops, I meant
>"indirectly" destroyed the RING.

Since when did Faramir become the Middle Earth Jesus? His genetics are a little suspect to say the least.

Why didn't Smaug just carry the ring to Mount Doom and prevent the whole trilogy from happening?

Causes the bit of rock to give out under gollum's foot
Brings back Gandalf and gives him mad buffs
Sinks numenor and fixes some other details with the geography of the world
(In reverse chronological order)

It's because book Faramir was unphased by the Ring. Jackson wisely dropped that shit for the movie(along with Tom).

Because dragons are evil?

Smaug was a greedy cunt, he'd keep it for himself

The Maiar don't really die. Their bodies can be destroyed so they just return to their natural soul form and stay on earth to wait for the world to end with the rest of Valar, and that end times is presumably when they would return to Eru. Gandalf's resurrection was unique.