Your country

Your country
Have you had contact with American-invented religions?

Chile

Evangelicals, Baptists, Pentecostals are the fastest growing religions, specially in lower classes. You see a nut creationist preaching with a megaphone in every single park of the country. Jehovah's witnesses will give you their magazines in metro stations. Mormons have visited my house a couple of times.

I don't like where this is going.

There are some Christian-looking people distributing paper in front of train stations and sometimes with loudspeaker that say god comes for you or some shit. I don't know what sect it is, not very familiar with Christianity, but I can say their effort are wasted on Japanese.

Probably Jehovah's witnesses.

yeah they're quite a big thing here actually
we even got a (quite derogatory) word for jehovah's witnesses and other yank-pr*testant heathens
they're pretty much a meme and considered batshit insane

No thank god our christians are normal

And what word is that?

An ex-mormon stayed over

he was the nicest guy I have ever met

"pocăiți"
it basically means "to repent" but for some reason we use it to describe these super religious weirdos lol

No, he's talking about those crazy guys with yellow signs like the ones on the left. Right picture is a jehovah witness. In Japan is common to see white trash with big yellow signs and loudspeakers, and japanese jehovah witnesses.

I took this picture in Shibuya station. In Akihabara they are more hardcore, they literally tell you that you're going to hell for watching anime... I agree with them.

Can't see their faces though... Were they Japanese or American missionaries?

They're insane Korean missionaries.

My high school's district had a mormon church next to every school.

I am Mormon

AMA

Japan is a swamp

A tree which flourishes in one kind of earth may decay and die in another. It is the same with the tree of Christianity.The leaves decay here.The buds die.

>It is the same with the tree of Christianity.The leaves decay here.The buds die

>decay here (ie. Japan)
>Canadian flag
Uh...

Forgot his proxy I guess.

I was raised a Pentecostal seeing stuff like OP's gif was commonplace AMA

I was about to make a thread:
1. Your cunt
2. Do you have mormans?

Seems weird to follow religions that were invented in foreign countries, unless you're a diaspora.

Why do people think acting like this will convert others?

Do you "speak in tongues" or at least believe in that?

>Seems weird to follow religions that were invented in foreign countries

literally 99% of religious people, see: christians, muslims, a large amount of jews, buddhists, and various sects of all of thereof

Were you not quoting Silence?

Only Jehovah's Witnesses.

>Evangelicals, Baptists, Pentecostals are the fastest growing religions, specially in lower classes. You see a nut creationist preaching with a megaphone in every single park of the country. Jehovah's witnesses will give you their magazines in metro stations. Mormons have visited my house a couple of times.
They all suck. Kick them out.

I'm an atheist now, have been for a long time
I used to feel very depressed because I could never speak in tongues even though my mom and other relatives did. I 100% believed in it and felt like I wasn't Christian enough to deserve that experience

Also, is it true that Pentecostals shame those who don't speak in tongues / enter in trance / get "taken" by the holy spirit and such things?

JWs have toned down their act the last few years

they used to carry flyers around for ordinary day to day stuff and then try to pass them to you if you made eye contact

now they just stand with their brochures, never initiating contact

a few, there's some break away ones that have compounds around the rockies that are in the news for polygamy

Is it a Slavic word borrowed by Romanian or Latin word borrowed by Slavs? Because repentance in Slovak is pokánie.

I was, different American poster replied

they do it, but in a sort of passive agressive way
they say you have to be very dedicated to speak in tongues and be touched by the holy spirit. However, when the pastor is touching a man or woman's forehead and she starts screaming and going apeshit it usually means he/she's being exorcised. My mom would tell me to concentrate on praying when that happened otherwise legions of demons would invade my body. It always scared the shit out of me

Yes, I am Mormon, there are almost 200,000 latter day saints in Canada

They target people who are going through some kind of personal crisis and are trying to blame it on someone/something. Anime is an easy scapegoat.

I just chatted with a JW Uber driver. Apart from the religious stuff he seemed genuinely nice, through I don't like their ideology for forbidding transfusion.

Why the fuck do Latinos buy into the memest religions?
My own parents are Adventists, wtf!

the "dancing trance" in your gif is very similar though, whether or not one is being exorcised or feeling the holy spirit really depends on if the pastor is shouting for the demons to go away.
Also some people really get into the role when the pastors shout shit like that. I've heard people (mainly women for some reason) put a creepy voice and scream stuff like "I won't leave this body" pretending to be demons
Thinking about it now reminds me of the Standford prison experiments

here there's an issue where JW and a few others far off sects set up non profit companies for their church and get free labour from other members and don't have to pay taxes because they 'donate' all of the profits to the church

so the cheapest boat you can buy in Vancouver, or furnace in Saskatoon is made by them

combination of representing the church and leading a somewhat sheltered life means most of them are nice

Do you have wholly negative memories of your religious life and family or more balanced? Cause sorty to say that, but I hsve seen that a lot of fedora type atheists (I am talking about the ones who ramble on youtube and write articles about arheism, consider themselves a persecuted minority etc.... I am myself something between an agnostic and slight believer) come from abusive families that happened to be also batshit religious and their stance seems to be more of a reaction to that.

I dunno how sheltered someone who works for 2 taxi services and Uber at the same time really is. But I am glad it helped him stopped smoking, I am the fan of the "well, if YOUR life was made better by it, its ok..." approach as long as they don't deny transfusions to their kids or something similiarly unethicsl.

I bumped into some Mormon missionaries while I lived in Russia. They were friendly enough but God damn it was surprising to run into Americans in that city.

yeah I notice many atheists, especially younger ones, are as obsessed with atheism as a religious fundamentalist is with their religion, and always sperg out on religious people (it goes both ways though).

But no my memories are not all negative. I don't think religion did anything positive on me, but it wasn't traumatic all the time. Sometimes I was scared of demons, the devil etc., many times I felt guilty for silly stuff like getting a boner, but other times I felt protected (by God, angels, etc) in events in which I would've otherwise felt terrified. I don't think I ever felt alone. I once "felt the holy spirit's presence" (the falling down type) and was happy for the rest of the week.

The one in that picture was asian, I don't know if she was japanese, korean or ayyy. But I've seen some wh*te trash aorund Shinjuku and Akihabara.

>Cause sorty to say that, but I hsve seen that a lot of fedora type atheists (I am talking about the ones who ramble on youtube and write articles about arheism, consider themselves a persecuted minority etc.... I am myself something between an agnostic and slight believer) come from abusive families that happened to be also batshit religious and their stance seems to be more of a reaction to that.
Ooookay, one of those families that thinks anything except eating, sleeping, going to school, and attending church is a sin.

This obsession is not really a thing here. It is often repeated how Slovakia is religious while Czechis is atheist, but the truth is, apart from the bible belt near Polish borders most young people don't really take religion that seriously. I would say that young people in western Slovakia are mostly agnostic or atheist already or "i believe in something but not sure what" (my case). Czechs have just shook off the pretense of "I am a Christian cause parents had me baptized" and lack highly religious remote villages.

The type of atheism here (among those who are atheist) s more like the Czech one through because it is mostly just a complete indifference towards religion that started in Czechia because of their historical religious wars. I would say many (through not most) people in Slovakia are atheist and 90 percent of Czech people are atheist, but it is not the Dawkins arrogant "I believe in science and you are inferior for believing in God" type. "Secular humanidm", liberalism, materialism and fanatical reductionism do not necessarily go in hand with atheism in this part of the world. Being an atheist is not something really rare or shunned through most people are still technically Catholic. My dad hates religion to the point of shoting at me for me being interested in it, but he grew really disillusioned by it for some reason (and he did not grew up really religious he just used to play the church organ in an age when a big part of the clergy cooperated with communist secret police).

Latinos are subhuman and stupid

Sounds like you need a good dose of Mormons and Pentecostals. Mind if we ship you some? :^) (^:

What puzzles me about American atheists specifically id how they seem to have made atheism into a new religion. I mean, you could call my dad an almost pathological antitheist, but not even he really flaunts his atheism or anti religion stance (its just when the subject of God comes into conversation thst he rants but he will not rant unless prompted accidentally or intentionslly) it is not the base for his identity.

I've been told from Butthurt Belt posters that the churches in Eastern Europe have been basically disgraced by their history of collaboration with monarchies, Nazis, communists, current-day corrupt politicians...

Religion used to have more of a political connotation in the 90s, as communists were atheist and many people went back to religion to express their hatred of communism despite barely believing in God. Later, this wore off, and after some scandals (sales of prized historical artifacts, child molestation, old collaboration with cokmie secret police) people kinda grew skeptical about churches.

Mind you, this does not mean fedora style autistic atheism, as many people say they love God and believe in him, just hate the earthly church because it sucks. Nobody truly believes the clergy but a few people.

This is probably also true of the Catholic Church in Latin America (too much collaboration with corrupt politicians) and why fundie Christian sects are spreading. They're populist in a way the RCC is not.

damn, in many ways you're lucky. I see way too many extremes here
Americans in particular (and us boricuas, since we're more americanized each day) seem to really love tribalism or something.
>they seem to have made atheism into a new religion
literally. See: the LaVeyan Satanist Church (atheist despite the name, and they even have their own bible!) and the Church of the Spaghetti Monster (which recently established a physical church here in Puerto Rico)

>(sales of prized historical artifacts, child molestation, old collaboration with commie secret police)

Everyone knows Angela Merkel's father was a Lutheran minister in the DDR and known Stasi collaborator.

I wpuld say Protestant churches here are less discredited, since Catholic clergy were the communists favourite pet group - officially they were against religion, but priests are the best agents and church is the best intelligence network.

Interesting to see Lutherans collaborating with it, ai guess because it was Germany, here collaboratiom was a Catholic thing (through to be fair dissent also was if we count the underground church in).

There is a family of jehovas witnesses in my neighbourhood, from macedonia strangely. They keep inviting me over to coffee, but I keep ignoring them.

Speak for yourself

Nah, main reason for the spread of American denominations is a sense of "cultural prestige" amongst the poor, aka they want to be Americans and churches telling them God wants them to be wealthy appeals to this sort.
Mexico is fortunately a bit more immune than most other countries because devotion to the virgen is tied with national priide but really even here they're starting to become a plague.

Mormons claim there are a lot of mormons here but I have never personally met any that weren't missionaries. Furthermore, 99% of Dominicans think Mormon and Jehova's Witnesses are the same church lol. There's a mormon church (stake?) like not even a block from my house and there's another one on the same street but maybe 2km down. The one on my street is usually open in the evenings and kids use their basketball court. They never tried to convert us or anything, I think I only went inside once when they invited us to some crafting workshop lol. The other one I have never seen open and I've never seen ANYONE there. It's weird.

Obviously also the Orthodox Church in Bulgaria, the USSR, etc. Today Putin just uses the ROC as his Brown Shirts to beat up on political opponents and liberashkas. He completely spoiled the large religious revival that had begun in Russia in the 90s.

In East Germany the liberal churches were one of the key foundations of the opposition.