So let me get this straight: Paul Verhoeven thought Robert Heinlein's original book was pro-fascist even though he...

So let me get this straight: Paul Verhoeven thought Robert Heinlein's original book was pro-fascist even though he didn't read it (which proves Verhoeven is an idiot), so he decides to make the movie an anti-fascist satire, which goes on to get panned by the critics for being a pro-fascist movie?

What the fuck?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ThrVQKl04Ak
youtube.com/watch?v=qv2XGQBcvxQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>not being able to read through a 300 page book

Was Verhoeven a retard?

Let's get one thing straight. I'm from Buenos Aires and I say KILL EM ALL

>starship troopers movie was antifa

Lmfao fucming nigger subhuman chink iq throw yourself off a bridge you genetic deadweight

i like it when they kill the bugs

If satire isn't made overly obvious people take it as being serious.

Poes law.

> Starship troopers wasn't satirical.

I'd say this is a new meme but i guess mongoloids reviewers back then thought it was legit too.

They had doogie fucking howser MD in a full blown Gestapo get up, are you dense?

people get confused because verhoven accidentally made fascism look cool not a bad idea

he sort of unintentionally went so satirical it became serious

Only stupid people who missed all the horrifying injuries and death and lack of basic freedoms.

>thinking anyone that mocks fascism is antifa

lmao

I feel like you made this thread after reading a clickbait article on misinterpreted movies that's recently been popping up.

Yes, I read clickbait articles while I'm at work and I'm bored.

EVERYONE IN THIS THREAD IS A FUCKING CIVILIAN

he made it cause redditlettermedia did a video about how much they love the movie a few days ago

Verhoeven is on record saying he thought the book was pro-fascist and he didn't read it.

m.o.r.o.n.

Do you really think directors crave to make shot-for-shot adaptations of books?

Verhoeven obviously just bought the rights, read the blurb on the back and made his own thing.

The point was he completely misunderstood the theme of the novel because he's an idiot who didn't even bother to read it.

youtube.com/watch?v=ThrVQKl04Ak
this song is better than the actual movie is

Gotta love all the underage RLMshits who just discovered one of the staples of sci-fi cinema because their fat ugly gods reviewed it

>a bad """""parody""""" is a staple of scifi cinema

>RLM reviews something
>All of a sudden a bunch of retards start parroting what they say and misinterpreting the movie

Really makes you think

To be fair, Heinlein is an awful writer.

No you stupid american. Verhoeven's ST is great because its about media manipulation and how effective it can be, which is why people thought it was pro fascist in the first place.

How is he bad?

Nazis made fascism look cool. Those motherfuckers knew how to look sharp.

>dress like a /fa/g
>get BTFO by a bunch of drunk slavs

Obligatory

youtube.com/watch?v=qv2XGQBcvxQ

i felt like starship troopers spoke to me. likewise i fucking hate phil dick. i think it's just different strokes.

>weeaboo anime cuck fag
>having a relevant option

>A movie where Neil Patrick Harris literally dresses up as a German SS officer and the rest of the "Good guys" all look and act like Wehrmacht
>antifa
Nope senpai

>muh book

Do you starship troopers bookfags ever get tired of it?
You are even worse than the GoT bookniggers.

Read the OP properly, retard.

do you get tired of eating shit?

Since a new one is coming out, how do we make tactical nuclear weapons and power armor kino?

verhoeven saw his native netherlands get trampled by nazism, did he not

maybe he was seduce in some way by the absolutism of it, and he portrays this in soldier of orange and the ubermensche protagonist

but he also lampoons it, and perhaps his own proclivities -- this is seen in both robocop and starship

why didn't they jump a few light years and do Forever War

As a fa/tg/uy, there's a parallel where the book Starship Troopers inspired the original Space Hulk and the setting of Rogue Trader and Warhammer 40K. Satire abounded, everything was grim past the point of reason, the alien bug menace was insanely over the top, Space Marines and Terminators were slightly more than human in training and physique but horribly brainwashed, and the ludicrous nature of the Imperium was blatant.

Fast forward years later and the Emperor has gone from being wrong to dead to alive to actually martyred to being Chaos powered, Space Marines have gone from general heroes to godlike creatures of majesty wracked with Greek tragic angst, the Imperium abounds with hero-kings and ancient prophecies, and space magic destiny will save us all. They drank the Kool aid. The Imperium's brutality is actually justified in the face of Chaos, so hypermilitary, education oppression, cultivated ignorance, and hive cities look downright reasonable. The brainwashed murder mutants have become tortured philosopher samurai with a straight face. The joke is gone, even beyond parody. The outrageous traits of Tyranids, Chaos, and even Necrons are all expected to be taken seriously.

See what happened to the Starship Troopers sequels and spinoffs. As time passes all faults give way to lion zing lazy main character types. It'll happen to youuuuuuu

It was a shitty book OP.

t. Mongoloid

This is one of the rare occasions where changing a lot of the book made the movie waaaaaaay better

Brilliant film and satire

It is a film adaptation more or less using the book as a backdrop.

Hitler was right.

jidf detected

Who says karma isn't funny?

I'm not saying he master of prose or storytelling, but he did a lot of things right. That book came out in the fucking 50's. He basically pioneered a shit load of sci fi staples like power armor (Mobile Suit Gundam comes from Mobile Infantry btw), slang, etc.

And it wasn't all just mindless action either. The real problem the book faces is that every adult that Rico talks to feels like they have this prepared speech on philosophy and the federation, and its merits and flaws. But the points they make are actually good.

i like when the guys and gals shower together.

Literally all these questions get answered in the commentary track.

Take that back, motherfucker. Basically everything about modern scifi from the past half a century has originated from Starship Troopers.I don't think there's a single piece that's been as influential on the genre as Heinlein's book has been.

Also, there's literally nothing wrong with limiting suffrage to those who actually serve their country, whether through the armed forces or any number of alternative pathways.

I liked the cgi movie.

You're a moron dude. You can't vote, run for office or have kids unless you serve in the movie. And the only way to serve is go get killed or maimed a galaxy away. The "service guarantees citizenship" is just a ploy to keep the voting base away from the planet while the brass controls things. The inherent flaws in this system are obvious if you put any thought into it other than "muh service to muh country"

>wasting your time reading 300 pages of Drumpf-tier fiction

No but you are you dumb newfag! HAHAHAHA PWNED BITCH!

>in the movie

>(Mobile Suit Gundam comes from Mobile Infantry btw)

Is there any proof of that? I just always thought it was another case of the Japanese mashing a bunch of cool sounding English words together.

The entire concept of power armor PERIOD comes from ST

>who didn't even bother to read it.

But he did and realized it was fucking garbage one chapter in. Sorry he doesn't waste his time on shit just for epeen but I actually got better stuff to do than read garbage novels when he's working on a FUCKING MOVIE you god damn idiot.

is this a bait post? please someone have a second of sincerity and answer my question

Gundams are mechs not power armor.

mechs are just really big power armor retard

No they're very big robots.

especially when they surrendered (which was often)

negro por favor

How is the 3rd Starship Troppers movie? I watched the second one a long, long time ago and I can't remember anything about it is the third just as shit?

"Yoshiyuki Tomino, the creator of the mecha anime TV series Mobile Suit Gundam (1979) has cited Starship Troopers as an important inspiration. He coined the term "mobile suit" used to name the piloted mecha from the anime series as a reference to the novel's own "mobile infantry"."

A robot is an automaton. Mechs are piloted. They are large power armor.

>But the points they make are actually good.

I thought the point was that they WERE all just giving the rehearsed drivel and they didn't actually understand what they were doing.

Remembering back 1 is kino, 2 sucks, and 3 is decent.

You can shut the fuck up now you clearly know nothing about what you're talking about.

The concept of mecha stemmed from power armor, which stemmed from Starship Troopers

suprisingly good for its bmovie budget

Does /m/ actually fantasize about fucking mechs?

are you even surprised?

yes, just click on any random thread on /m/.
BASED GUYVER

...maybe certain mechs

The third is miles better than the second but still miles worse than the first.

>complaining about anime on an anime imageboard

>lack of basic freedoms.

And what are those? Please feel free list some of these "lack of basic freedoms" from the book.

You don't?