youtube.com/watch?v=5Th7Tiz1cEk&t=105s
youtube.com/watch?v=zB-3xUFOFkY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

JAY COCKS

so why didn't he do it?

>79528084
WHERE IS FERRERRAAAAAA

did he actually apostatize?

He couldn't leave Japan because he made a public demonstration that he did.

Give this video a watch if you want to see what the takeaway is for Catholics. The movie comes off completely differently to Protestants.

youtube.com/watch?v=5Th7Tiz1cEk&t=105s

I read the book in anticipation for the movie but didn't end up seeing it because it was hardly playing anywhere.

Give me a quick rundown.

>not a true Catholic for apostatizing
>nips are the real heroes for keeping the faith to the death
>the voice he heard in his head was not Jesus. Possibly his own delusion from being malnourished or possibly a demon

Whereas the Protestant belief would be

>he did the right thing, apostatizing
>religious icons can be a form of idolatry, so who cares about stepping on it
>jesus would want us to do anything we could to save lives

All of my Christian friends were devastated by this movie. It asks questions they never thought to ask themselves.

wtf I hate protestants now.

protestants are trash

He still heard that one guy's confession, and he had the crucifix with him when he died, so probably not.

Problem is the Catholic Church is an embarrassment these days. Guess I need to become an Eastern Orthodox.

I go to an SSPX church. Is there one in your area?

Still, Catholics would believe that he'd receive some sort of punishment in heaven for what he did. This movie will put you in an existential crisis if you're a Christian.

>>nips are the real heroes for keeping the faith to the death
Why? There weren't Catholics. The Japanese couldn't properly realize what God was.

Remember, shintoism isn't your run of the mill polytheism. It's on a much grander scale. There's a reason why God isn't called kamisama, but Deus-sama.

The Christian God is literally just another diety in Japan.

youtube.com/watch?v=zB-3xUFOFkY

Not anymore. Christianity in Japan now is full on non-denominational charismatic.

Eh, yes apparently. I didn't know this existed.

Yeah, now. Remember, the Meiji restoration brought along western ideals and thinking. Before that, it was just Buddhism and Chinese texts.

They didn't have the foundation that Europe had. They literally didn't start with the Greeks before the Meiji era.

Intent matters. If he repented before he died he's probably just do a stint in Purgatory before going to Heaven.

>Why? There weren't Catholics.

Catholicism had been in Japan for decades by the time of the movie. There were already native Japanese priests. They probably understood it by then.

Still many weren't fully educated. Just look at the speech Liam Neeson gives. That many Japs thought that in saying "son of God" they were referencing the sun, not Jesus.

Some obviously grasped the concepts better than others. Even today most white westerners don't know the finer points of Christianity.