Starship Troopers reboot

I know that my expectations should be managed carefully since Sony Pictures has a tendency to botch things up pretty horribly, but they are promising that the reboot will be an actual adaptation of the book which is something that the book's fans have been waiting to see for years.

Starship Troopers was the dream project of many great directors over the years (including Steven Spielberg) but somehow it fell into the hands of Paul Verhoeven, who didn't even like the book. The real concern I have is if there's any good directors out there who can stand the idea of working with Tom Rothman, and whether Rothman and Amy Pascal have any "great new ideas" that they are going to mandate into the movie.

The thing that gives me hope is that that their theses behind rebooting the franchise is to go back to the book rather than remaking Verhoeven's movie, so at the very least we hopefully can expect it not to be another self-parody political satire, but I don't know if I'm giving Sony too much credit or not.

stfu

no u

Ghostbusters.
Sausage Party.
Oceans Eight.

Put your trust elsewhere my friend. Sony will give it the sjw feel.

>actual adaptation of the book
not gonna watch then
book is garbage

Johnny Rico becomes Jane Rico

The book bugs would be cool but other than that yeah, garbage

hi Paul

You do realize star ship troopers is an sjw movie.

There's not a chance in hell there's going to be a true adaptation of the book in [CURRENT YEAR].

Do you have any idea what kind of backlash (((they))) would get if they released a movie that promoted militarism and meritocratic democracy?
Can you imagine the dialogue in pic related ever being played out in a Hollywood-movie?

I am aware that there are women in it but would you like a full cast of women and supporting roles filled with minorities?

old movie didnt even start out as starship.

was its own original thing, before studio hitched a license they had on it.

also book is super anti regressive left, so sony wont ever make it, or would ruin it if did

finally book is brilliant like most of heinleins works, and only little SKW snowflake types think different

>an actual adaptation of the book

Expect even more blatantly pro-nazi imagery

>actual adaptation of the book

You're dreaming if you think any major studio (particularly Sony of all fucking people) would release a right-wing militaristic piece about social responsibility and societal cohesion in [current year].

Besides that, the book is fucking boring for long spells and not good source material for a movie. Half the book is just them sitting in classrooms getting lectured at.

sounds kinda like Ender's Game
it was boring AF

it would work as a slow-paced miniseries

but yeah the current political climate & media leanings would make a faithful adaptation impossible

It's not that there's women in the movie, dumdum. The movie is basically mocking America and saying America is a bunch of fascists.

The book is largely about a war between the humans and the skinnies. Towards the end of the book the humans and skinnies end up joining forces to fight the new threat of the bugs. The movie got rid of the skinnies completely and basically made it into "expy of America uses war to control its people. They declaring war on bugs, because you can never kill all bugs so they'll never run out of enemies to control the people with."

None of those themes come from the book. The book is a military drama set in the future, and the focus is a soldier's eye view of what it's like to join the military. It's a speculative piece of sci-fi regarding what changes might occur when humans begin colonizing other planets and have to compete against other civilizations. Paul Verhoeven's movie is something else completely and he stuck the Starship Troopers name on it.

The animated series is better because it's a lot closer to the book, although Verhoevern's fingerprints are still all over it because it takes elements from both the movie and the book. If the movie had been like the series I think you'd see a lot less complaints about it, but the movie is barely like the book at all.

And surely there'll be a dark skinned gentleman cast as one of the leads.

There's no point of watching sci fi action movies without practical special effects and gore aka every modern sci fi movie. Watching videogame cutscene-tier cinematography is just boring as hell

the book is shit: it is the delusions of a fascist
no one would watch it willingly regardless of time and government
you can force soldiers watch it but that is all, they won't pay

The time to release a faithful version of Starship Troopers would have been around the time the original came out, because it was before George W. Bush was president and wasn't deadset on convincing people that there were nazis behind every tree. The original movie seems more like something that would be released today because of the fascism panic that the media is trying to manufacture.

The one way the movie might turn out good is if it doesn't go into production until after the media realizes they are not going to win a war against the nationalist zeitgeist that is sweeping through the west any time soon, and that they're just wasting their money. If Sony Picture Studios wants to go bankrupt protesting Donald Trump then that's on them, but when the money people get involved they are going to start asking the basic question of "why are you making all these expensive movies that no-one will watch?"

They lost money on Ghostbusters and it killed the franchise. I could pretty easily see them doing the same thing with Starship Troopers where they try to get attention for the product by offending the target demographic, but unless Sony is intentionally trying to kill off their movie division I suspect they're going to give up on this tactic. Fat Barbie with Amy Schumer and Antifaship Troopers might have worked in the Hillary Clinton timeline but not this one.

The book is 70% Rico at boot camp and progressing through the ranks of the military, the skinnies are mentioned once in the prologue and once again towards the end when Rico mentions they are allied with the Federation now

timing doesn't matter
people don't want to watch fascist nonsense
even fascist
someone can fund it knowing he will lose money but there will be no return by other means either
it will be a lost cause

You sound exactly like a fan of the movie who is too illiterate to read the book and has swallowed a healthy dose leftist propaganda. You probably don't even know what a fascist is.

But the source material was shit, the adaption we got was a fucking miracle.

how can you be so wrong?

You are the one who keeps saying "Starship Troopers is fasicst and it sucks." You sound like pretty much everyone who has an opinion about the book but hasn't read it. Starship Troopers was a very popular and influential novel for decades before the movie came out, and the people who became fans because of the movie are generally mouth-breathing idiots who always talk about how crap the book is and they usually call the author a fascist.

I read the book and it was quite fascist. If the author is not a fascist then he is an idiot for writing a book that glorifies a fascist system.

häng dig

>people don't want to watch fascist nonsense

i do

Gör det själv, röding. :^)

>faithful to the book

So, basically a fascist propaganda?

They should make The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress instead

Were the book marines some kind of one man armies inside mecha suit? That doesn't sound as entertaining as traditional army fighting against bug horde like it was in film

Was Heinlein unironically promoting facism? He seems more like a libertarian in other books.

Pascal left to form her own production company like a year ago, dude.

They can if they depict it in a rather bleak way, not necessarily a positive thing to aspire to but the inevitable result of generations of endless war.

A) you didn't actually read the book and are just parroting what you heard from someone else
B) you don't know the actual definition of fascism
C) both

Hey, it works fine in Singapore.

You've never read the book. Only someone who's only seen the movie or just defaults to "muh fascism" when confronted by something you disagree with would call Starship Troopers fascist.

Last I heard her new "company" is basically just a legal way for her to still work at Sony and server as Tom Rothman's shadow cabinet. Maybe those reports are untrue, but she is the reason that Sony was seriously planning to make a feminist-themed Barbie movie starring Amy Schumer. That was all likely before the election, though, and I suspect that much of the entertainment industry is scrambling to adapt to a much different America than they were expecting to wake up to in 2017.

>fascist earth government ruled by Donald Trump
>strong female lead role with negro sidekick
>the bugs aren't so bad the war is the white male governments fault

You sure you want a remake?

A) I did so in 90s
B) I do know
C) stop with your dumb assumptions just because I disagree with your dumb opinions on your dumb book

see A and C

no he was promoting a unified military that was volunteer only. He watched troops fight or run from fighting in Korea since they were drafted. So he created a fantasy novel where the highest honor was fighting for you country.

It just happened that people forget that there was democratic elections in the book, but required citizenship to vote. It was required that sacrificed in some form towards the betterment of the society to vote.

>Also the book "battles" were like a starcraft marine dropping in and blowing up an entire zerg nest by himself with multiple nukes.
>sony will have some tranny rico in a skin tight armor using a retarded looking m16
>we can ignore it pretend it never existed...please god

It was pretty cool in Edge of Tomorrow.

Each trooper is basically a Space Marine from Warhammer 40k-- extremely powerful, but usually outnumbered by tremendous odds.

The movie made them into the Imperial Guard-- sent in to die if only to gum up the enemy forces with their own meat and entrails.

Then define fascism and specifically state how the book is promoting it.

You're not fooling anyone.

they were the elite of the armed forces. Shock troops as much as special forces.

>The outer shell burned away and sloughed off—unevenly, for I tumbled. Then the
rest of it went and I straightened out. The turbulence brakes of the second shell bit in
and the ride got rough… and still rougher as they burned off one at a time and the
second shell began to go to pieces. One of the things that helps a capsule trooper to live
long enough to draw a pension is that the skins peeling off his capsule not only slow
him down, they also fill the sky over the target area with so much junk that radar picks
up reflections from dozens of targets for each man in the drop, any one of which could
be a man, or a bomb, or anything. It's enough to give a ballistic computer nervous
breakdowns—and does.

Sausage Party was a fun movie, and Ghostbusters was a flop. Don't know what your third example is. Anyways movies are like music, in that whenever there's a republican in the white house, shit gets good. All that frustration and pent-up anger gets released via media. I see this Starship Troopers remake as a good thing, with maybe some social commentary thrown in. Rico in the original was ironically a patriot by the end of the movie, and accepted being a tool of the state. Social commentary could come in the form of him maybe being disillusioned by war but still fighting because he's a soldier, which was what I got from the book as I recall it (minus the disillusionment). I am personally holding hope that this version doesn't stray too far from the book, and adds some sort of (visual) realism, like Edge of Tommorow.

If movies like these keep getting made (and Dune is in the works), we could be seeing more mature scifi stories being made as movies. I would like to see Armor, for example. Maybe even some Revelation Space movies.

Also, Sausage Party was only hated by prudes and religiousfags. How sad is it that to rebel, you have to be a prudish, ironic religiousfag? You niggers don't even read the bible or go to church.

It makes me mad that when I google Starship Troopers, the movie is listed above the book.

>hurr durr Sony would never release an accurate Starship Troopers movie because it'd be too offensive

Angry Birds

In the book each trooper is basically a walking nuclear arsenal.

>Johnny Rico remains a spic, instead of casting an aryan

they should just adapt the anime

>Bugs are now slime-monsters

This would be the same as the original then KEK. Are you forgetting it was a critique on nationalistic patriotism and soldiers being sent to the grinder like nothing? Seriously, I hate SJWs as much as Sup Forums, probably moreso as I am more traditionally liberal, but you dumbasses see it everywhere. If Aliens came out today you people would talk shit on it (you do so now but that's cause half of you are plebbit assholes and not because of Ripley).

Pick up the book sometime you illiterate fuck. He was filipino.

I just started watching it. The whole OVA is on Youtube for free.

My point of comparison will be Roughnecks: Starship Troopers Chronicles since that's currently my favorite adaptation. I'm guessing the OVA will be more accurate to the book since it's not influenced by the movie at all, but I'm curious to see.

It was satire yes, but it was quite poor at it, seeing as people actually liked the system the Federation brought forth

were do the people get the notion tht the book is pro fascist? have you read it? I did and not once did i get the imoression that heinelein wanted to convince me that fascism is good

His full name in the book is Juan Rico and he has Filipino heritage. There was some controversy in casting Casper Van Dien in the original movie. I don't think the actor's race really matters that much for the role, but casting someone with hispanic or asian looking features wouldn't be out of line with the book.

The original already did that in a very artistic way

The fuck you smoking, son? When it came out it received shit for going over everybody's heads that it was satire. People disliked it on principle. It is only recently that the contrarians on Sup Forums have taken up love towards such a government. Myself, I felt it didn't go far enough. I read the book in high school a decade ago and the movie skipped out on a whole lot of whooping kids' asses, which I feel the contrarians wouldn't approve of.

I rented it on vhs when I was around 10 (my ma disn't give a fuck what I watched as long as it was entertaining) and liked it, but later found out most people gave it shit. I thought it was badass.