This movie isn't as clever as you think it is

It's pretentious and boring.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2ZhAIvpd3iw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

How clever do I think it is? It was a very simple, straightforward premise. I was very entertained by the whole process of finding common language with an alien species, rather than fighting them. I wasn't bored, and I didn't get the sense they were trying to pass it off as anything deeper than it was.

ITT: Slow faggots who missed the cinema premiere and had to wait until the blu-ray release.

>paying the entertainment jew.

it was smart for getting the poor people's money

>DUDE THEIR LANGUAGE IS CIRCLES BECAUSE ITS NOT LINEAR LMAO
Great writing

ITT pleb opinions?

Nobody thinks it's smart. It's made for the capeshit crowd, by one of the worst directors working today

>it's a board where insecure celebrity gossiping human garbage call everything pretentious because they have an inferiority complex

literally everyone who defends this film says 'it's too smart you just don't get it'

Says a lot about the fans of this movie tbqh

DUDE CIRCLES LMAO

>picture of a frog
>putting "tbqh" at the end of your awful post for no reason
>DUDE meme

Yes, you sound like someone with worthwhile opinions and not a person who would misunderstand even the simplest of concepts

Since the release, not one actual argument of why do you think it's a "bad" movie.

Just a constant stream of buzzwords like reddit/IMDb and boring or "not deep". No one even discusses the movie or how could it be better, but you only talk about people who praised the movie like it's the Bible.

Provide actual arguments besides "I DON'T FIND THIS PART OF THE NARRATIVE REALISTIC OR PLAUSIBLE" please

Arrival is part of a recent series of movies I'd describe as Dunning-Kruger Sci-Fi. Along with Interstellar and to a somewhat lesser extent The Martian, they perfectly play to the crowd that fancies themselves as (and, to be fair, may truly be) smarter than average audiences but are not as smart as genuinely "smart people." They are movies designed to make the audience feel smart by introducing complicated and heady concepts, and then holding the viewer's hand the entire way through until there is next to nothing to be left up to interpretation.

If you didn't already know the twist in Arrival by the time she was in the milky section of the ship with the aliens AT LEAST, you perfectly fit the audience I am talking about.

There is no reward for being smart while viewing these movies because everything is eventually spelled out in big fridge magnet letters. Any clever idea is made so transparent that even the most simple in the audience will get it. It also removes any reward for rewatching or trying to figure out what you just saw.

Granted, there is a difference between Arrival and Interstellar. I think where Interstellar was pretending to have a brain it actually didn't have, Arrival has a brain that it is refusing to let the audience use.

Completely disappointing movie.

Also
>so that just happened

This is Sup Forums you autist

DUDE CIRCLES BECAUSE TIME IS CIRCULAR DID I SAY CIRCLES YES CIRCLES CIRCLES INTENSE EMOTION CIRCLES GREY PICTURE CIRCLE LMAO

It's the most unrealistic sci-fi film ever made

My entire main problem was the writing, uninteresting characters (literally every character to me was boring as shit to look at), and the colour grading was dogshit.

I bet you would hate on 2001 if it came out today

>DUDE JUMPING MONKEYS BECAUSE EVOLUTION AND SLOW BIG SHIPS EVOLUTION EVOLUTION GIANT FLOATING SPACE BABY BECAUSE EVOLUTION LMAO

This film is the most perfect pleb filter ever conceived. I've yet to hear from someone who didn't like it who actually understood it.

>being this baited

2001 is remembered for a reason. Arrival will be forgotten about in a few months.

Wanted more teal & orange eh?

calling something pretentious is literally an argument about the ideas of a film and the quality of their execution

you fucking low-iq pleb

Look, I understand you want to show how edgy you are by shitting on Oscar nominated films, but it's getting a bit tired, don't you think?

Nope

youtube.com/watch?v=2ZhAIvpd3iw

>le movie will be forgotten in a few months "argument"

Post more original content

they could see though time but could not see that they meant to say tool instead of weapon.

You're an idiot yourself if you think the plot was complex.

The only defence I've seen from its fans are either 'you didn't get it' (implying they thought it was confusing lmao) or 'you don't have empathy.

This leads me to conclude that this film is only liked by effeminate numales jumping on the sci-fi bandwagon and women.

>I've yet to hear from someone who didn't like it who actually understood it.

This is idiotic.
I loved Arrival, but the quality of a movie doesn't necessarily mean that everyone should like it.
It's different if he is calling it utter dogshit without any claims, but you don't have to like every critically acclaimed movie just because it's considered great you know.

It's called "having a taste"

Sup Forums said that same exact thing about Interstellar.

And here we are 3 years later still with multiple daily Interstellar threads.

No one said that, you flaming faggot. I just don't want to watch a grey movie with horrible low contrasts. Whenever a movie has to rely on that to create an atmosphere, it feels cheap and lazy to me.
"How do we make this kinda spooky and sulking?"
"Grey that nigga up."

For real??

I get the impression people like this film just because the Oscars told them to. Pathetic really.

If there'd been any color inside the ship at all, it would've been too obvious that the design was completely stolen.

That scene where Amy Adams & Jeremy Renner meet the aliens for the first time, all I could think was "I've walked around in there before"

I get the impression people hate on the people who enjoyed this film more than they hate the actual movie. Pathetic really.

>complex

Seriously? Complex? The movie is full---- FULL of feeling like nothing is happening. A bunch of shots linger onto the same shots of the ships and inside the ship over and over, far too many tedious "dream"sequences.
The entire thing can be summed up as 'lady has to try and figure out what aliens are saying before shit happens.'
The movie's a poor man's 2001 and funny enough, Contact had the same plot of trying to figure out what aliens are saying. Arrival is neither original or interesting. Just because it's not as stupid as other alien movies, doesn't make it 10/10 would watch again in a circlejerk of other people who like it solely because it's not as dumb as other alien movies.

It's the newest trend here to pretend you're like XDDd so exasperated by this like totally obnoxious fan base. It's an easy way to pretend you're a special snowflake. This place is just alt right tumblr.

ok here you go
>laughably flawed premise. thinking non-linerally lets you see the future, i know its a sci-fi but theres literally no way to defend that logic even with sci-fi pseudo science
>no explanation of the resultant paradox that would come with being able to see the future
>stale, boring characters. Main actress literally has no depth as a character, and no losing your kid alone doesnt make you an interesting conflicted character
>plot holes. For example the main actress enters and exits the Alien ship through via a previously unseen alien capsule without anyone on the ground supposedly noticing or caring
>moments of almost laughably bad dialogue. "lets make a baby", "you made quick work of those insurgent videotapes"-"you made quick work of those insurgents", dudes pickup line after the Aliens leave etc.
>typical Russian/Chinese bad guys vs level headed Americans, that's a stereotype that should have died with the cold war
>Flashbacks that looks like Benz commercials

of course with the typical drivel American audiences and critics get spoonfed, the fact this movie involved vague neuron activity was probably enough to make them praise it as intelligent

Every single thing you typed is objectively incorrect so apparently the movie went over your tiny little brain

The movie is not about the aliens at all, it flew over your head entirely.

The ayylmaos and the science are only plot devices to the actual narrative of Amy Adams character relationship with life/death and embracing every waking moment of it. It is by no means a "hard sci fi" movie about aliens.

The opening and the ending sequences are about that
All the major scenes are intercut with that.
And even when it's in the present narrative it's eithet a heavy close up of Amy Adams for half the movie or a camera placement of her characters point of view.

The ayylmaos and the "science" are only the setting where the actual story takes place in.

Stop going into movies with hard preconcieved expectations of what it should be about.

Your whole post, if we exclude the points which are factually wrong, are just "I don't like the script"

That alone doesn't make a movie outright "bad".
I don't like the script for Sicario or Fury Road too, yet I acknowledge them as quality films atleast.

That's my point. It wasn't complex or clever at all but Arrivalfags are convinced the film was rocket science and people can't understand it. I pity them.

And that, friendo, is my problem. I wrote earlier that the reason the movie failed with me is that the main character and every other character were uninteresting. The aliens are never the highlight of any alien movie to me- it's how the characters react to it. Even the shittiest alien flicks had more emotions than this mess. Making Amy Adams sulk wasn't a bad idea, but it was handled beyond poorly. She's a boring as fuck MC. And Hawkeye was beyond useless apart from the reveal at the end.

it's hard sci-fi because it's fairly heavy on linguistic theory. as heavy as something mainstream can be anyway.

I don't think anyone ever said the film was rocket science, just that it's too smart for people who talk about celebrity hairlines and identity politics, which it is.

>someone dealing with death, aliens, the future of humanity and completely new paradigm of reality
>"uninteresting"

shit taste.

>Looking at circles and a confused looking women in a greyish hue for two hours
>Riveting cinema

>it's too smart for actual retard plebs

Yeah, no shit. So was Interstellar, but that doesn't mean Interstellar was smart in general, and "smart" certainly doesn't equate to good.

>>moments of almost laughably bad dialogue. "lets make a baby", "you made quick work of those insurgent videotapes"-"you made quick work of those insurgents", dudes pickup line after the Aliens leave etc.

Out of all the insanely dumb shit on this board the dialogue "criticism" might be the worst. It always looks like satire to me because I can't comprehend how anyone could think there was something wrong with it. Are you deranged?

>discovering an entirely new way to communicate with an alien race that alters your own perception of reality

>"not".... """""riveting""""""...............

I said the FUCKING CHARACTERS were uninteresting. I was hyped as HELL to see the movie specifically because of the story. They just delivered it in a bullshit dull way.

They overestimated the non-retardation of their audience. This movie is really straightforward.

yep, arrival and interstellar, the two underrated masterpieces of the century

even 5 year olds understood it

You could point to a shitty anime with an amazing plot- that don't mean the shitty anime handled the plot well.
Attack on Titan.

sorry that the main character was too depressed about her future/past/present dead daughter to excite you with song and dance and gun shooting.

>giant people in diapers
>""""""amazing plot"""""""

this is why no one takes you animefags seriously.

We are getting the same effect from Arrival just like we got from Fight Club.

Brainless normies praise it like it's the absolute answer to life itself, thus making Sup Forums start to hate it completely, while it is certainly an above average film.
Just look at this thread, most of the posts are just about the people who think they are "smart" for enjoying it, not about the movie itself that much.

It's a simple story. But people who've never been exposed to non linear found it confusing. But since it was a well made movie people started thinking its a deep movie.

You see- this is why I hate Arrivalfags. If you say you didn't like something about the movie, they hit you with a "sorry it didn't have explosions and Bay didn't direct it" line.

Some of my most favorite characters ever are depressed fucks who don't say much. Amy Adams characters wasn't dogshit, but it was below average for such a great story that she was a part of.

That's everything on this site, if someone has an idea all the discussion is about the race or identity of the person who had the idea rather than the idea. This whole site somehow ended up as a collection of the dumbest people in the first world.

she had a DEAD/DYING/DEATH PROCESS DAUGHTER you inconsiderate fuck

This is what made me hate it, but I sincerely just felt super disappointed in what should've been a large explorations of humanity turned into a whinny-fest with a boring MC.

well at least I got a giggle out of this thread

you have the mind of a baby

name one way how its plotting wasn't smart or unique.

>unique

Son. Almost every alien movie has a sub-plot about trying to communicate with them. Just watch Contact with Jodi Foster. It's almost the exactly same sub-plot, but Arrival stretched it out to a full-length film did even less with it than Contact did.

and how many do it by deconstructing language and modes of communication?

and how many do it while also using narrative timeline games?

just saying other films are about contacting aliens doesn't make it unoriginal. you're ignoring the specific details that made it a Hugo Award winner in the first place.

>Look into the future to find an answer to a present problem

Why do Arrivalfags think this is so mind-bending and profound? It's not a difficult concept to grasp and the fact that this was the huge 'twist' everyone was talking about made me hate it even more.

>this shitpost isnt as (you)y as you think it is

Its stale and boring.

Why do you imply that I didn't like it? I enjoyed it thoroughly, quite a cinematic experience

But to pretend the film is flawless is ridiculous. Exposition is the first thing that comes to mind, it isn't Nolan like "beating you on the head" heavy, but it's there too much.

For example, the explanation of her daughter's name Hannah.
Not only does Villenueve explain that it is a palindrome but he even has to explain what a palindrome is and what is the meaning of having her name as a palindrome.
All of that could've been cut out and left for the viewer, or perhaps it could've been just a single shot of the name "HANNAH" written somewhere and a mirror against it, making all the other words unreadable but the name Hannah.

Remember when Inside came out and everyone thought it was so unique and an amazingly original idea? Then people remember that there are tons of shows that had that same plot featured in some episodes and one with an entire show made out of it?
That's Arrival. They took something that's been done before, but forgotten, and then made an entire movie out of it.
I'm not saying I took points out of my enjoyment because of this, but I can't stand it when people act like it's unique. Expanding a played-out plot doesn't make it original.

>muh feelings

Arrivalfags are low test

>not to mention Interstellar did it as well to almost the exact same degree.

perfect post

WTF I HATE FEELINGS OF INTELLECTUAL INFERIORITY NOW

>It's pretentious and boring.
no u r

t. dunning-kruger victim

>point out something I think is dumb without explaining why I think it's dumb
Great criticism

oh my god, it's fucking entertainment. "It's a bad movie because it's targeted at people who think they're smart" is a non-argument. Enjoying, or in not enjoying a movie isn't a dick measuring contest of intellect. Your post is so fucking ironic and hypocritical.

he gives arguments as to why it's a bad movie
you're just "to smart" to dislike this movie :^)

Who got spooked hard during this scene?

Reminded me of Enemy

Its the best movie of the decade. The fact that some retards didnt understand only proves this.

>Seeing dad for the first time in a year
>Don't really want to but he pays my insurance
>Says we should see a movie
>"Okay but what movie? Only thing I know that's out is Doctor Strange"
>He's adamantly against it but won't say why
>"Fine you pick a movie, I'll see whatever"
>He wants to see some action and explosions and shit
>Picks this movie
>Waiting for it to get good the entire movie
>We both walk out bored and decide he's not allowed to pick movies any more

The best part was the first thirty minutes, then it just got fucking boring.

I rate it a C on the A+ - F scale.

interesting

Do you work for the Apple copyright department
ITS A FUCKING ROOM WITH ROUNDED EDGES

There was nothing special about it; vaguely interesting linguistic plot, dry, drab acting, and once the time aspect was revealed it went full retard.

It was slightly more highbrow than your average alien flick; there's nothing exceptional about it in the slightest.

t. buzzword autism