Are we witnessing the dawn of pointlesskino?

Are we witnessing the dawn of pointlesskino?

>if it doesn't have action scenes and superheros in it then it's pointless
>if it doesn't have a "deep meaning" then it's pointless
watch more movies, retard
also, the "dawn of pointlesskino" how you put it was probably during the rise of french new wave

>>dawn

9-11 was a long time ago op

Not talking about action scenes and superheros, it's just that all these films just sort of flop around and fizzle out instead of end. Not saying it's necessarily bad, just pointless.

>see: the Sundance film festival, every single year, since its inception

What exactly would've made each of these three films NOT pointless?

I haven't seen the other two but if you think manchester's story is pointless you weren't paying attention

More like the dawn of slice of life dramas.

>dawn of pointlesskino
You mean the return of existentialist movies?

You retarded Millenials actually think you invented things lol

terrible thread

NA is literally about a roastie getting btfo. If thats not enough of point, i dont know what is.

I bet you think every film should have a singular "message" or a certain universal "meaning" that you should "get".

Also I don't understand what is the corellation between those 3 films, they all have widely different narratives and dealt themes.

You mean dramas?
Movies like those have existed since forever

They all lack direction.

post some movies that have direction, in your opinion

Hows nocturnal animals?
I'm considering giving it a go because i love Jake Gyllenhal

...how does she get "BTFO?" She's vaguely embarrassed in a restaurant when the guy she's supposed to meet doesn't show up? Or because she had to read a crappy book? If this movie was actually intended as a sort of "revenge fantasy," it fails even worse than I thought.

Great, much better than most of the middlebrow faux-arthouse shit that Gyllenhal has made recently.

Gyllenhaal is good, the whole cast is really. The script is really not fantastic, but not terrible either. It's an OK movie but don't get your hopes too high for something special

Great story, but not executed quite well.
Gyllenhal and Adams are underused, Shannon and Johnson outshine them by a lot.

It is a decent movie and certainly not outright bad, but ultimately forgettable.

Educate yourself, pleb.

>High-concept is a type of artistic work that can be easily pitched with a succinctly stated premise. It can be contrasted with low-concept, which is more concerned with character development and other subtleties that aren't as easily summarized.

Alright i'll give it a go.
Thanks friends.

The Nordics have been doing pointlesskino for years

haven't seen moonlight, but the other two are far from directionless and pointless
are you new to movies? you seem a bit cinematically illiterate, keep watching more stuff and you'll get up to speed with the rest of us soon enough

>literally about a roastie getting btfo
Oh no, she waited in that restaurant and he didn't came. Such devastation.

Villeneuve films are arthouse in the same way Snyder's "capekinos" are classic masterpieces

OP is looking for movies with clearly identifiable premises, morality tales with conclusive endings and the like

I haven't seen Nocturnal Animals yet but the other two are pretty much flawless, they are more about emotion than about a specific conflict though. If aything I would say this is the new wave of empathy-kino

are the other two movies as dull as moonlight?

Manchester by The Sea ends with the main character in exactly the same place where he began. Nothing changed. Nothing developed. It's safe to assume that after the film ended he just continued on as he was until the day he died. Sure he showed some moments of weakness, and opened room for his nephew to be in his life, but nothing substantial. Pointlessness is in fact the feeling that was supposed to be conveyed as that is how the character felt, and the abrupt meaningless ending is just another way to amplify that. Thus, pointlesskino.

Yes

Serious question: are you gay or a woman? I'm not saying you need to be either to feel emotional at films, but how you were affected by the "poor me" soap opera of Moonlight and the "oh gosh he's so depressed but real depressed not like you NEET virgins" self-pity of MbTS is beyond me.

>he smiles for the first time in the movie after they fix the boat
>he had a breakdown after talking to his ex-wife, able to show emotion where he thought there was nothing left
>movie ends with Lee and Patrick having an intimate moment in an activity they hadn't done together for years
>nothing changed

>Nothing changed. Nothing developed.
At this point I'm doubting that you've even seen the movie

>emotions are for faggots

You do realize he goes back to Boston, right?

I'm just not autistic

>real depressed not like you NEET virgins
I've never said anything like this, but case in point I guess

So if the movie ended with a shot of him moving to Manchester that would make it "not pointless"?
You can't base your whole opinion of a movie based on a single sequence, google "peak-end" rule to find out how primitive your judgement is.

The entire film would be pointless if it ends up in a happy ending of all of them getting finally back together and continuing to live a normal life.
And the movie ends with him smiling for the first time in this "after tragedy" narrative as I recall.
If a movie isn't exactly punching you in the head with it's themes and messages, then you call it "pointless"

I bet you thought the ending ball throwing exchange was also just "pointless" right?

>yeah, but I'm looking for one with an extra room

nocturnal animals is awful
mbts is my #2 moty 2016 after toni erdmann
moonlight is also pretty good

Up

Haven't seen the other two but Manchester by the Sea seemed to move in a pretty clear direction. The dude finds some level of penance for something that was eating away at him for years. It doesn't end with him being completely healed but at the end of the movie he's a different man.

It's a character study with a clear arc.

by the end of the movie he's willing to bond with his nephew, even though he admiteddly hasn't got the strength to let his past go

>nocturnal animals is awful
why, exactly?

No, it was a fairly obvious symbol for them trying to connect. But that doesn't make it not pointless. It's dull and uninteresting. Why should I care if they connect or not? The main character went through some trauma, and maybe one day he'll get over it but he'll still feel pain. They gave their best at conveying that feeling to the viewer with the cinematography and the realistic dialogue, I'll give them that, but I just don't care and I don't see why anyone would. It's a closed book. It isn't thought-provoking nor is it something I'm unfamiliar with.

Yeah, and in the end of the movie he's back visiting Manchester-by-the-Sea.

the whole movie is about how there's things that you can't overcome and how memories are unmercifuly tied to the places where they happened, the fact that he is back on boston is why the movie is brilliant, you are basically denying the main character of catharsis

Also denying the viewer of catharsis, hence the pointlessness.

>Character fishing with his nephew at the end of the movie
>Not cathartic

Oh, so that was supposed to be cathartic? Guess I should have cared more about that dumb white trash kid with two retarded girlfriends.

Why did you watch the movie at all, then? What were you hoping for? Start with the same premise and tell me how it COULD'VE been a good movie. Because I honestly thought it was pretty close to perfect.

I think the point of the movie was that there IS a point where his grief/trauma turns into self-pity. The whole situation with his nephew forces him to realize that if he's not going to kill himself, he will eventually have to come back to life and start acting like a person again. He's basically reborn as a whiny, petulant baby, and throughout the film we're watching him "grow up" again. He's not perfect by the end, but there's a pretty clear implication that his self-improvement will continue

Did we watch the same movie? She's clearly distressed by the book.

this two to be honest

this is correct except for the last part

Are you now implying that No Country for Old Men is pointless too?

You are just killing yourself with your own arguments user just stop

it has some good performances from shannon and the psycho dude, but the storyline and tone of the movie is ultimately all over the place and inconsistent in tone
half of the time you're left wondering if you're watching a melodrama or some pulpy revenge flick
really underwhelming movie

>Manchester by the Sea
This iz HARIBLE my kids died in a FIRE oh GAWD Fin.
>Moonlight
They're gay!They're Niggers! They're Gay Nigger! Fin.
>Nocturnal Animals
Havent seen and didn't even fucking know about it's existence till people on this board started crying about it.

Yes, I noticed. The movie spent plenty of time showing her furrowing her brow, plunging herself underwater in a bathtub, and gushing about how "devastating" and "powerful" her ex-husband's bargain-bin thriller is

I still don't see how that qualifies as "revenge." You could say that the book shows her how badly she hurt his feelings, but that's not quite the same thing

Not that user, but here are some basic technical and general filmmaking flaws in it

>Amy and Jake are underutilised, Shannon and Johnson outshine them all (and it's certainly not because of Ford)
>Jake has an accent which he loses depending on the take (not the narrative)
>out of place bad editing between wide shots and close up's
>jarring color pallete difference between the two narratives that doesn't blend at all
>a lot of "I'm acting!" scenes and cheesy oneliners
>framing and composition of the landscapes felt like a film student trying to copy NCFOM landscapes
>all the night scenes have too bright obvious lighting like it's brightest moon in existence
>laughable phoneclip jump scare scene
>too on the nose symbolism with clues being literally spelled out in text form behind the characters

All these are meant between takes, not the two narratives. Except my color grading point, but I still stand by it.

The movie is filled with scenes where you "see" that it is an actor acting infront of a camera, just take a shot everytime Amy Adams character stops reading the book and looks at the ceiling all nervous and aggravated, you will be drunk halfway into the movie.

I don't think it's awful, but it's not something worth of praise either.
Quite apparent that Ford is first and foremost a fashion designer, not a film director.

No, the ending to No Country was definitely cathartic because it reflected on what happened and brought the film back to earth to be relatable to the human condition. Manchester brought no such reflection as there was nothing to reflect upon, things just happened and moved on. It never left the earth, it always tried to be a very realistic film, which is alright in films like Tokyo Story when the realism is used to contrast itself by showing us the reality we don't want to confront, thus offering us catharsis. Again, Manchester doesn't really do that, like someone said it's a "character study" more than anything, which relies on the viewer being easily emotionally manipulated but doesn't offer much in terms of cinematic value.

pure retardation

go back to watching capeshit

>but doesn't offer much in terms of cinematic value
do you watch one movie a year?

You forgot

La La Land
Arrival
Green Room
Swiss Army Man
The VVitch
10 Cloverpleb Lane

I don't judge films based on the time they were released. I could give a shit if a film is better than 99% of the films of the year it was released in when it doesn't even make the top 1000 films of all time.

Batman V Superman was a great movie.
If anyone needed any more confirmation that movie critics on the internet are out of touch with the general population, look at the scores of Sharknado, and then look at Batman V Superman.
Internet critics are basically Reddit lurkers. They have nothing real to say about piece of art other than how it fits into their own little worlds. They are the most spoiled part of the art community.
Critics used to serve a purpose, when there were only a few places to find art. But now there are so many opinions on the internet, a critics new job is to shit on things, opinions, and people for having differing opinions about those things.
What really sucks about this is that people who enjoy movies like Batman V Superman now have to argue its merit with the angriest, most jaded individuals on the net. Which can be fun, but there's not charity in how they argue. They listen, disregard, then say whatever they were going to in the first place.
To put it short, critics make it really hard to enjoy the act of liking a movie.

This trend started with There Will Be Blood

Kino: Moonlight
Movie: Manchester by the Sea
Flick: Nocturnal Animals

"no"

It's obvious she hates her life and wants desperately to fugg Jake. When she started reading his book, she became obsessed with him/it, to the point she is filled with regret about the life she could have had if she hadn't fucked it up.

He really fucked her up psychologically, next stop for women her age is depression pills and the loony bin.

Please, PLEASE tell me why Moonlight is kino. Because sometimes they slowed down close-up shots yet kept the words said at the original speed? Because when the bully picked someone to get knocked out the camera followed him as he circled around? Because there was a blue filter applied to the ending shot? Because of the abrupt cut to two black men cuddling? Please tell me, because to me it was just a waste of time.

smacks lips profusely
SO HOL UP HOL UP
steals
SO U BE SAYIN
gets jiggy wit it
SO HOL UP U BE SAYIN
eats a skittle
AYYYOOOO SO U BE SAYIN
checks for nearest KFC
U BE SAYIN
collects welfare
HOL UP HOL UP
licks teeth then smacks lips
AYYOO U BE SAYIN
does the crip walk
SO U BE SAYIN
opens up a 40 and pours some for his homies trayvon and michael brown
HOL UP SO U BE SAYIN
tweets about dis and goes to check in with his parole officer
WE WUZ
dindu nuffins
FINNA WE WUZ
sucks air through teeth
AYYYOOO HOL UP WE WUZ
pulls up sagging pants
SO WE WUZ
instinctively looks around for the police
SO U SAYIN WE WUZ
faints and then gets up repeatedly
SOM FINNA
scopes dem titties
SO WE WUZ
shouts at movie theater screen
SOM FINNA
chucks spear
AYYOOO SOM FINNA
sets down cotton bale
HOL UP
strokes welfare check pensively
WE WUZ
throws up gang sign
SOM FINNA
swings from basket ball hoop
WE WUZ
grabs dick and shuffles left and right
SOM FINNA
participates in drive by shooting
HOL UP MUH NIGGUH
converts to islam
U SAYIN WE WUZ
repeated world star yelling in background
SOM FINNA
sells crack
KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINGZ N SHEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT evolves from primate

>Kino: Moonlight
only the third part was great

shut up.

That's actually pretty apt

no u.

reminder that it's not racism if its funny

That's quite a stretch. Even if we go with your vision of her character's future, it was her own decisions that got her there. The most he'd be doing is to REMIND her that it was a bad decision. But if she really cared about him as much as you seem to think, she could've reached out to him at any point in the 20 years between the divorce and him sending her the book

It really seems like he was the one who was completely devastated about the whole thing. She mentions how sad it is that he never re-married

I honestly think you guys are way off in interpreting this whole thing as a power/revenge fantasy. How does his book end? He doesn't turn into a badass and track down his wife's killers. He tags along with the detective, and when the time actually comes to shoot the guy, he hesitates until the guy gets right in his face and cracks his head open. He dies alone in a field too brain-damaged to call for help. If that looks like a power fantasy to you, you need help

She realizes she completely fucked up her entire life by making such a shit decision so many years ago
Had he never sent her that book she would have gone on living semi-unhappily with her cheating husband, but now she knows she completely fucked her entire life up and she'll never be as happy as she could have been with him

All three movies were white people bullshit.
KANG level 0/10.

>Moonlight
>white

MoonLight is about black niggers in the hoog dgetoo

They were both devastated, but she was a cunt that never realized what hit her until it was too late when she was reminded of it.

All three have horrible posters

>faggotry
>black
Nice try, crackers.

it must be hard watching movies about other people when you have autism

congrats, you got memed on

You know what, I think I'm just gonna let you have it. Your future ex-girlfriends are probably safer if you think "look what u coulda had bitch" makes a powerful revenge.

you took the bait you stupid fuck

This ending convinced me it's up there with the greats. I don't know if it was my period or what but I cried SO much. Criterion release when?

one of the best.

at least I will have future ex girlfriends, nerd

there are no pointless movies, just pointless people

>cried SO much
underage detected

>you just know he's jacking him offscreen

K I N O

Devastating and powerful

DISHONEST.

Kek

T H I C C