So was he a good teacher or not?

So was he a good teacher or not?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kOCTkH2DdpA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

yes

over the top performance, no control. I was stunned he won the oscar.

A perfect teacher
A harsh person who doesn't care about your petty feelings.
The type of teacher
who creates legends

such a reddit meme flick. so pretentious and embarrassing.

He was the best teacher. Not the best friend, but the best teacher.

he was a great teacher

what do people at those 'schools' do all day? just play their instruments?

Yeah, no jazz drumming is teached like that. Jazz drumming is about being relaxed and improvising, not a being a fucking musical autist

You can see it when japs try to make jazz. Few gems come out, but mostly its just technical masturbation and uninspired boredom because all they can think is "excercise excercise work work I can't miss any note"

I know someone who is in one of these places and yes, that is exactly what they do. Constant rehearsals and performances.

No. Abusive and mean teachers do not create good students.

Even the movie showed that.

that's it I don't believe in anything anymore I'm giving up Sup Forums to start a normie life

Bi-monthly reminder that Fletcher saw his talent from the very first scene and everything he did after that was planned to mold him. His "revenge" at the end was a way to get the best out of Andrew, and Fletcher didn't even let the loss of his own job stop him from cultivating a world class drummer.

Might seem self-evident, but many people overlook this and think Neyman just evolves into a good drummer on his own and Fletcher was mean for no reason.

Is this bait? Honestly such a stupid theory
Implying Fletcher plans on Andrew somehow putting on a good drumming performance when he has no sheet music given to him, it's pretty clear his idea to take control of the band was impulsive making it pretty stupid that Fletcher would even consider the possibility of it happening.

Also how is it Fletcher's plan to expel Andrew? It simply takes him out of drumming for months, which could have been used for practicing.

The whole point of the movie was that he was a shit teacher that Andrew wanted to prove wrong.

They should've included what actually happened in real life. The teacher was diagnosed with Autism and succesfully sued the school for wrongful dismissal on grounds of medical discrimination winning $400 million.

leave this place while you're sober and never come back while you still can.

You'll thank me later nigger.

>Do know what the two most dangerous words in the English language are?
>...
>Nothing!
>...
>And everything!!!

Didn't he say "Good Job"?

Good teacher for creating one of a kind master or art. Shit teacher for destroying decent talents.
Whole his puprose was creating first one and not caring about others. He would have been fired as a teacher everywhere for this mentality.

It showed it by having his student excel to greatness at the end?

He was a bad teacher who got good results.

Didn't one of the kids kill themself

He was a big guy.

>DUDE JUST PLAY THE DRUMS QUICK LMAO

Dumbest movie I've ever seen in my life

I thought it was pretty melodramatic

Why did he fuck him over at the end?

so the final solo drum performance that made no sense is "excelling to greatness"?

DUDE TOO SLOW LMAO

I guess it really depends on what you think the purpose of teaching is. Ultimately he did make him into a better drummer, but at the expense of ruining his life in the process.

If an exterminator burns his customer's house to the ground a good exterminator? Admittedly he solved the problem he set out to- the house no longer has a bug infestation.

that was what the movie intended to show, yes

what were those things in the angry man's ears at the beginning? wireless earbuds?

He didn't ruin his life, the guy was already an autist before meeting the teacher and he already had the dream to become the best.

Yes. Does being a great drummer matter if your hate your life though?

Why didn't you tell my this 10 years ago?

GUUUUUUUUUUMP! WHAT IS YOUR SOLE PURPOSE IN THIS ARMY?

no. the teacher kept talking about that one hotshot drummer and how some guy tossed a cymbal at his head to make him a better drummer. the teacher had no talent of his own - that's why he played jazz in a coffee house - and he knew that the only way he could ever be famous is to become "the guy who threw something at the really famous drummer"

so he would be a turbofaggot to any student that showed promise in hopes that he could ride the kid's coattails into the "history" books. the reality is, the only thing he did for the kid was to give him a spot in that performance at the end. he networked the kid into performing in front of some big names in the jazz scene, and they saw the kid's great performance. the teacher literally had nothing to do with it. the kid had the determination and the talent. he would have become famous eventually, with or without the help of the bald screaming faggot

WHERES THE LAMB SAUCE

Yes, but he's a music teacher, so it doesn't matter.

>the teacher kept talking about that one hotshot drummer and how some guy tossed a cymbal at his head to make him a better drummer.

He was talking about a famous drummer who threw a cymbal at another musician because he didn't like his playing.

>character is an over the top person with no control
>he plays exactly that
>DURR Y DE OSCAR

fucking retard

No. Faggots ITT actually think it made any sense and that anyone would willingly put up with that much abuse just to become a better drummer.

He was a psychopath. The exact opposite end of someone who coddles a person too much.

The ending wasn't just Andrew triumphing after all the struggle he worked towards for his music, but was also an unfortunate vindication of Fletcher's approach to teaching.

After the concert, what do you think happens? That quote gives the answer to me. Fletcher and Andrew go back to their old routine, where the former pushes the latter to more extremes, and just Charlie Parker, he dies young.

The last few shots in the movie, where Andrew was following directions again, was just him being put back on his leash.

Even if he did become one of the best drummers, no one is going to remember him anyway. He was born in the wrong times.

Oh my god, you think I give a FLYING FUCK?!!??!

>Are you Russian or are you dragon?
What the fuck do Russians and dragons have to do with jazz?

Pretty much like any other profession.

This is just such a great fucking meme.

This is true/ Wjhp tje ficl wamt stp bep,c e afa,pis jazz rummer?

dumb phoneposter

>he actually believes this

The ruthless rotating in and out of players. The criticism all legitimate.

The personal attacks and the yelling at the top of his voice?

Get the fuck out of here. Thats Hollywood for you. No serious teacher will ever raise his voice.

What are some other movies like Whiplash?

Nope.

You can see it when japs try to play any type of music. They have no soul so what can you expect

Black Swan maybe

Also DJ Whiplash
youtube.com/watch?v=kOCTkH2DdpA

>Muh Charlie Parker
>M-aybe if one of my students was famous people would notice me!
>"jazz" music
>zero improvisation, glued to the sheets
>has to be played exactly right down to the 64th notes
>final concert
>supposedly a master jazz drummer
>can't even play a well known standard because he doesn't have the sheet
A fucking awful flick

It's probably meant for people who don't understand jazz. Otherwise
>dude just turn off your brain lmao

Pretty sure no. The meanie teacher tried to highlight Miles Tellers flaws to humiliate him. He had the balls to refuse the humiliation and show his talents to the crowd instead.

he was good for people that have thick skin
bad for people that don't

But didn't the teacher get proud of him in the end as if what Miles did was actually the result of his teachings?
You are probably right though, but this is the idea I got from watching it.

>popular music
>taught in these schools
Kek you'd to have be literally fucking retarded to think you'll become a successful jazz (or any non-classical genre) musician if you attend these schools

When it comes to big band stuff, normally it's not as simple as just "knowing" a standard. There's hits, and arrangements, and other shit that people do to make the music all fancy.

Andrew did freeze pretty bad, though.

>extended version shows how Fletcher paid the guy to crash his car into Neyman's
holy shit, it really was all planned out