It's a Stargate thread

>it's a Stargate thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nsoqiOOLYpI
youtube.com/watch?v=rV02nhQ6DpY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The other day at the office someone felt like stirring up trouble and said "hey you guys, do you prefer starwars or startrek?"

And I say "I prefer stargate" and then everyone nodded and we had a comfy discussion about stargate.

It was nice.

It's shit and so are you

>and then everyone clapped

this site is for grownups, play being edgy somewhere else

>tfw I finally got through the 220~ hours of Stargate SG1 and Atlantis
>took about an entire year to finish it
>that emptiness of no longer having it available as a go-to thing when bored
Felt pretty bad.
Don't want to touch Universe though, since it only lasted 2 seasons and I've heard crappy things.

I love how the "signal at the end of the universe" from SGU works with the theme of what it means for something to be a God. The Goaul'd are a primitive human's idea of a god, they are dressed in gold, they have animal hybrids, can break anyone's will, rain fire from the sky... And SG1 tells us that all these powers don't make someone a god. Then comes the Ori. They exist in another plane of existence, cannot be killed, can create life, heal the sick, give powers to their followers... They're a more modern human's idea of a god. And again, SG1 tells us, these powers don't make them gods.

And then in SGU the Signal. If my theory is right, and it is the fingerprint of the creators of the universe, then the monolith builders are fully a modern human's idea of god. They create suns, planets, whole universes. There's a natural progression between how godlike the Goaul'd, then the Ori, then the Monolith Builders are. I think it's really neat and I love it.

There's also the way the Monolith Builders play into the theme of artificiality in stargate. Lots of thing in stargate aren't natural. The Wraith were made by the ancients, they're not naturally occurring. The Jaffa as well. The wooden planets in our galaxy were terraformed by the Goaul'd (to look like Vancouver). Then there's the whole thing about Mankind being artificial, how when the replicators got out of control and sterilized the galaxy, the ancients used the Dakara Device to reseed the whole galaxy with life. Life that would later evolve into humans.

So there's a lot of things we think of as natural that turn out to be artificial in the stargate universe, that turn out to have been created millennia ago by long extinct species. If the "signal at the end of the universe" is indeed the fingerprint of beings that created the universe, it takes that theme of natural vs artificial one notch higher.

causes one to ponder indeed

How many of the cast members did Amanda Tapping fuck do you think?

Movie only tv series a shit

Sounds like it's time to start at the beginning again

Look at the background, he's checking her ass unashamed, in front of the camera. They did it.

DEZELEET

>it's a Sam and Martouf fuck on the elevator episode

youtube.com/watch?v=nsoqiOOLYpI

the tone was always way off when they brought in Raimi to direct an episode

WTF martouf how was that not a violation of Azgard treaties, Carter's moon is a protected planet.

The Tok'ra ARE NOT G'ould

How many males are in the casting?

I mean. Technically. You are. Teal'c doesn't cease to be a jaffa when he betrays Apophis. He's a free jaffa, but biologically he's still a jaffa.

You're still a Goaul'd. One fighting for peacefull cohabitation with Humans and Azgard, but a Goaul'd nontheless.

He presumably meant for the sake of the treaty.

>Azgard

stop that

What's an Azedgard?

The Wraith are naturally occuring, the planets were terraformed by the Ancients and it was the Ori plague that wiped out the galaxy.

this is such a dumb meme
daniel catches up to the violence around him pretty quickly from the start. in s1 alone, he insists they drop the mission they're on and full on attack and capture apophis on the nox planet. and a few episodes later, bloodlines, he murders a bigass jar full of defenseless goa'uld larvae in cold blood, while sam stares in disbelief

stop pretending like daniel picking up a gun and kicking ass no questions asked is a late thing that is somehow part of a perceived drop in quality

I hated that monolith ep where half the people started going on about fate so much. They kept saying "if they have the power to teraform a planet they can do anything and they must have made this for us" but in sg1 there's plenty of races that can do just that so it isn't anything special.

Who the fuck said anything about a drop in quality? That image is more to do with halfways through Judge got Shanks interested in l7fting and there is a real contrast in his physique between s1/s10.

Well it's stupid

Pls no bully

Geez man the picture is funny, why do you have to defend the show, the picture isn't negative

It's best to ignore Universe, it isn't Stargate.

>It's a sam and colonel caldwel fuck episode
youtube.com/watch?v=rV02nhQ6DpY

Everyone but Rush and sometimes Eli is stupid. It doesn't mean the actual events that are going on aren't really cool.

Pls tell me the Destiny aetobraking deep inside a gaz giant isn't stargate as fuck

>That image is more to do with halfways through Judge got Shanks interested in l7fting and there is a real contrast in his physique

it's clearly also, if not predominantly, about the notion that characterwise he turned from a timid geek into a violent warmachine who murders goold fucking shits left and right

>its a KONG thread

It's good you should try it

Ass guard

so who was the smartest person in Stargate?

found the pleb

>it's an Emmerich's reboot gets canceled and we're never gonna see these glorious faggots in action again episode

McKay's sister.

SGU is better than the last half of Atlantis and is definitely worth watching.

If you mean human then sam, mackay only think's he's smarter.

O'neill's smarter than both when he has asgard knowledge in his head.

He'd have only used a load of CGI anyway. Those guys are hacks these days. I wouldn't want them anywhere near Stargate. MGM need to get on their hands and knees and crawl back to Syfy.

Jack

to be fair, the shit i took yesterday was better than the last half of Atlantis

>these days
He's always been michael bay tier

OUTTA MY WAY GOOLD FUCKING SHITS

4>5>1>3>2

Weir sucked the joy out of the show post season one.

what's the story behind this pic?

no dude there's a world of difference regarding talent and artistry (not saying clever story or deep characters or anything) between bayshit and something like Stargate or ID4

They're no where near Michael Bay tier any more.

Eli, because he solved a problem nobody else could figure out by just dicking around in a game. :^)

God I hated that stupid "he's a slacker who lives at home and plays games all day but deep down he's actually a genius just like you, audience!" bullshit. The romance bullshit he was involved with was tiring as well.

And then they kill off his qt waifu for cheap drama points.

I actually agree, I thought Universe was well crafted except Eli because of the whole "secret genius slacker like you!"

If they replaced his character with someone else, the series would've been far more enjoyable

That being said, Rush was fantastic and Young grew on me a lot towards the end of the series

>Posting the one Stargate thing every ten episodes as if it's standard

Yeah I'm sure spending every episode on Earth dealing with relationship drama, my mother has aids drama and who is my babies daddy drama sure sums up Stargate.

Truly you are the lowest order of pleb to like it. I bet you loved the wedding episode, or the handful of times they actually used the Stargate.

Iirc this is the episode where some of them are outfitted with some technology giving them superspeed, strength, invisibility etc. That coupled with Mark wahlberg who once beat up some gook and Idk maybe said something akin to outta my way etc

SGU is much closer in tone and theme to the original movie than SG-1 is.

Hell, I don't even think they'd need to replace his character entirely. Just don't make him a genius on the ship. Have him be this kid who managed to figure out a puzzle in a game but he's NOT some genius who magically knows his way around Ancient shit. So he's along for the ride and he has to make himself useful somehow, but he's just a lazy civilian with no skills stuck on a spaceship. Give all his science-scenes to Carlyle because he's by far the most interesting actor on set and have Eli deal with keeping morale up or something like that.

Do that and remove those stupid fucking stones and the show would have been fantastic from the start.

GOOLD?

No it isn't but even if it was that's not really a good thing because people only like Emmerich movie for giving birth to the franchise, the actual film is fucking awful

>the actual film is fucking awful

bwahaha baniway

Jesus

>the actual film is fucking awful

This is bait. Do not watch SGU. It's an awful battlestar galactica clone with terrible writing and characters.

How many producers and writers fucked her? That's the real question.

I unironically can't think of a worse show than SGU.

No fuck you it isn't. It's not as good as SG1 but it's way better than that shitfest atlantis.

They ARE NOT Gouald

Just ask them

Deep down Meredith knows that Sam is smarter. He just doesn't want to admit it in public.

Rush was also pretty smart. But muh Samantha.

The character of the brunette chick that friendzones Eli is also terrible, I couldn't bear her. She became sort of interesting later, but still.

*motions hand above head*

Lisa Park was bae though, pic related

Okay ask an arab if he's a social parasite

I wish we would finally get a definitive official answer about a SG-1 BluRay set.

Are they working on it or it's never gonna happen.

SGU was never, at any point, better than Atlantis. You're the only one who believes that.

you know what i fucking hate about the portrayal of the tok'ra? that they never bothered to establish any recurring characters, particularly leadership figures, to put a real face on them. with the exception of jacob who doesn't really count and martouf who was in what, three episodes? it's always "random tok'ra leader of the week that we've never seen and will never see again"

>The character of the brunette chick that friendzones Eli is also terrible, I couldn't bear her. She became sort of interesting later, but still.
I don't think she ever really became interesting. In season 2 she turns into an alien but that means she stays in her room all day away from what's happening in the story.

I doubt it. Did we watch the same Atlantis? I stopped watching Atlantis when it was airing because it was so fucking horrible. When I was finally ready to get through it, it took me a year to was the last three seasons. Every character is so flat and every episode is so predictable. The replicators are the most boring bbeg ever and the writers used them over and over. After season 2, atlantis has none of the cool archaeology, exploration, or making friends with new peoples that SG1 had a lot of. At the very least, SGU has a selection of interesting episodes that aren't just "shoot at the bad guys" or "I'm Teyla and I'm a badass, watch as several men try to court me".

I hate that about atlantis, there's barely any reoccurring characters outside of todd, those few genii dudes, that one traveller woman later etc

>the main point of the show was the people of the destiny being unable to get home
>the lucian alliance was able to get to the destiny
Is this the biggest plot hole in stargate history?

SGU is comfy

Except that blew up another planet to get there.

And? Lot's of shit planets out there.

>I was too retarded to follow along with the plot, that means it's a plothole

They needed massive amounts of energy to gate to the ship. Energy the ship could not produce for a return-voyage.

Parts of Atlantis is borderline unwatchable after you've seen SGU. It's like a cartoon by comparison.

SG-1 > SGU > SGA

It had to be a planet with a Naquadah core.

bmp

You're insane. SGU is a poor man's BSG. At least BSG was good for at least a few seasons.

SGU was NEVER good. Atlantis at least had a decent cast. SGU didn't even have that.

Atlantis' cast was shit
SGU is pretty good in season 2

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little Shol’va? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Ashraks, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on the Tok’ra, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in furling warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire Jaffa corps. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with terror strikes the likes of which has never been seen before in this system, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Chaapa'ai? Think again, go’tak. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of Zatarks across the galaxy and your position is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking kek, Kal'ma. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in Mastaba, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the High Council of System Lords and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the galaxy, you little Gonach. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn Ha'shak. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. kek kel shak,Kal’ma .

watch it, hassak!

Ignore the SGU taliban

>Only Stargate franchise to be threatened with cancelation after 1 season.
>Completely alienated previous viewerbase; abyssmal ratings and so bad it was ignored by critics
>Managed to find a complete cast with zero charisma
>Killed the franchise forever

B-but it was good i swear, that popular thing i dont like is worse!

But I liked the others more. I admit SGU was shit in the first season and deserved what it got, but it had enough potential in the second season that I wish we got to see what happened next.