Who was the second greatest athlete of all time?

If you're even remotely serious about sports then you should know that Tony McCoy is the greatest athlete of all time. But in case you're brand new to sports, here is why Tony McCoy is the greatest.

>JUMP JOCKEYS CHAMPIONSHIPS
2014-15 Tony McCoy* retired
2013–14 Tony McCoy
2012–13 Tony McCoy
2011–12 Tony McCoy
2010–11 Tony McCoy
2009–10 Tony McCoy
2008–09 Tony McCoy
2007–08 Tony McCoy
2006–07 Tony McCoy
2005–06 Tony McCoy
2004–05 Tony McCoy
2003–04 Tony McCoy
2002–03 Tony McCoy
2001–02 Tony McCoy
2000–01 Tony McCoy
1999–00 Tony McCoy
1998–99 Tony McCoy
1997–98 Tony McCoy
1996–97 Tony McCoy
1995–96 Tony McCoy

>CONDITIONAL (rookie) JOCKEYS CHAMPIONSHIP
1994–95 Tony McCoy* record wins for a conditional

>Records
Most titles - 20, Tony McCoy
Most wins for a jumps jockey - 4358, Tony McCoy
Most consecutive titles - 20, Tony McCoy (1995-2015)
Most wins in a season - 289, Tony McCoy (2001-2002)

>Big race wins
Literally every big race there is to win.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MUSejn6im44
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

He was the best day in, day out against the greatest generation of jockeys to have ever existed in terms of strength, endurance, technical prowess and sheer will. While he won the races he was likely to win, he also won on horses who had no business winning races due to a lack of talent, effort or both. He won races nobody else could have won. Brian Clough performed miracles getting Derby County close to winning the European Cup and getting Nottingham Forest two of them. Tony McCoy performed miracles several times a month. And it wasn't as though it was ever in doubt that he would win the jockeys' title. Bookmakers wouldn't even take bets on it because it was such a formality. He'd have it literally sewn up within a couple of months every year and the rest of the season would be him trying to break his own records. All while breaking every bone in his body through the process. He didn't drink, didn't smoke, didn't do drugs. But he wasted his iron body from that of a middleweight to that of a welterweight for twenty years because he had a sickening addiction.

He was addicted to winning.

So as you see, Tony McCoy is clearly the greatest. But who was the second greatest? Bradman? Gretzky? Jordan?

Jockeys aren't athletes, they ride the athletes
American Pharoah and Secretariat are the only athletes that should be considered in any discussion on who the GOAT is

> He stands 1.78 m (5'10"), far taller than most jockeys.
manlets btfo in their own sport.

lmao this
Will manlets ever recover?

>Jockeys aren't athletes, they ride the athletes

Roger Federer isn't the athlete, the tennis ball is the athlete.
Diego Maradona isn't the athlete, the football is the athlete.
Steve Redgrave isn't the athlete, the boat is the athlete.
Donald Bradman isn't the athlete, the bat is the athlete.
Wayne Gretzkty isn't the athlete, the puck is the athlete.

Do you see where I'm going with this?

In all literally all sports apart from running and combat, its a matter of how one uses their athleticism and wit to control their domain. One *could* argue that being a jockey is more impressive in this respect since unlike a ball, bat, boat whathaveyou, a horse has a mind of its own.

>American Pharoah and Secretariat are the only athletes that should be considered in any discussion on who the GOAT is

You misspelled Arkle and Frankel (although I will accept that Secretariat is the greatest dirt horse of all time - dirt being a poor relation to turf which is why it isn't taken remotely seriously in the cradle of the thoroughbred).

Could he do it on a wet and windy Wednesday night against Stoke?

>the tennis ball is different for both Federer and Karlovic
>the football is different for both Maradona and Fellaini
>the cricket bat is different for both Bradman and random poo-in-loo
>the hockey puck is different for both Gretzky and Tootoo

Are bongs really this dense?

Well not in Stoke because there isn't a racecourse there.

Nevertheless, it didn't matter if it was a miserable, soggy mid-winter's Monday at Ludlow in front of two men and a dog, a light hearted packed summer holiday meeting at Newton Abbot on a Wednesday evening, the biggest race of the year on a Cheltenham Friday or the most famous race of the year on an Aintree Saturday.

You'd always get the same psychotically consistent, determined and brilliant Tony McCoy.

>a fucking leaf

McCoy won on horses others wouldn't have been able to win on. McCoy wasn't exceptional by chance. He wasn't eventually put on better (he never consistently rode the best horses) horses because just anybody can be a world class jockey. McCoy was exceptional because could do things with horses (most of them roughly equals in handicap races which make up the bulk of the racing program) other jockeys could not.

Where do you rank pic related on the all time greatest list?

Top five European flat jockeys. Behind Gordon Richards, Lester Piggot and Ryan Moore but entitled to be mentioned among them.

Is this the esports thread?

>any of those things
>being sentient and/or able to move on their own
Are Brits really this dumb or what

Dudge will never win a ring but Altuve has his haha

I'm shorter than a jockey

Interesting. Truly a GOAT.

Either Usain Bolt or Michael Jordan.

>handed the top rides in every race
>competed more often than other jockeys to ensure he won the championship
>jump racing

who the fuck names their horse Tony McCoy?

>handed the top rides in every race
He didn't ride the favourite in every race. He was sought after by trainers who fancied their horses because he was better than any other jockey. Even so, he pulled countless races out of the fire because he could do things other jockeys couldn't. Besides, if his retainer was the reason he won the titles then Richard Dunwoody would have been imperious instead of scrapping it out with Adrian Maguire, David Bridgewater should have destroyed after getting the Pipe job and Christian Williams/Joe Tizzard/Ruby Walsh should have killed it under Paul Nicholls - the dominant trainer of the 00s who never employed McCoy after their falling out over Lake Kariba.

>competed more often than other jockeys to ensure he won the championship
Nothing prevented others from competing with him and everybody gave it a shot. The championship was fiercely contested before McCoy came around and the likes of Geraghty, Walsh, Maguire, Bridgewater, Fitzgerald, Lee, Brennan etc all gave it fair cracks at least three or four times. All with top retainers and deservedly high reputations. Richard Johnson tried every year but never came close yet he's been the perennial champion since McCoy's retirement. If it wasn't for McCoy, we'd be rightfully calling Johnson the GOAT.

>jump racing
The infinitely more dangerous and competitive variant of the jockey titles.

Don't try to use racing arguments against me. I know the sport better than you. You'll only expose yourself by fucking with me.

jump race jockeys are significantly bigger, I think he's not much bigger than normal

Are you in/around the Maryland region (essentially the only area in America where they have jumps racing)? If not then you know your shit. Well observed in either case.

The Norseman was using McCoy's wiki page as a point of reference but it is true that most jump jockeys are normie sized so to speak. Those 5'8" and below tend to be quite stocky while you do get quite a few breaching the 6' mark. These tend to be forced lanklets. Once retired, they tend to become pretty imposing characters as trainers.

nah just something I googled after watching the grand national with Sup Forums a couple years ago, noticed the jockeys weren't midgets like I'm used to

Good educational thread. People need to learn about the GOAT

youtube.com/watch?v=MUSejn6im44

>Good educational thread. People need to learn about the GOAT

Thank you.

If not for themselves then for the broader/sp/ community.

>le wacky Italian

total meme jockey

being small and sitting on a horse is not a sport

He's a shithead and he uses his meme status to full effect. I can't stand him but it can't be denied that he's very an incredibly talented horseman. The coke addled prick knows what he's doing when it comes to pace and delivery.

Wish I got into this somehow. Can't those jockeys make bank?

The elite (top five, no more than ten) get private jets/helicopters to take them to their meetings. Top twenty earn a comfortable living. Top fifty could probably earn enough to buy a house if they're sensible throughout their entire career. The rest earn shit and have to supplement their wages shovelling shit.

Oh, and avoid getting injured too much.

It's a given that as a jockey, you will break several bones throughout your career. Not even a case of "maybe if I'm (un)lucky". If you choose to be a jockey for a living, you won't escape without a serious injury or two. Some are able to overcome but many are utterly destroyed/killed by the vocation.

Jockeys are a different breed of sportsmen.

HI, I'M TONY MCCOY

YOU MAY REMEMBER FROM SUCH HORSE RACES AS 'RISK ASSESSOR' AND 'OW, MY TONGUE'

>5'10 is King of Manlets
>tfw he's actually the King of Manlets

kek
good one