What's the deal with this art that costs millions of dollars and looks like it was drawn by an autistic and epileptic...

What's the deal with this art that costs millions of dollars and looks like it was drawn by an autistic and epileptic kid?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=R2xz9Gayrpw
independent.co.uk/news/world/modern-art-was-cia-weapon-1578808.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_CIA_and_the_Cultural_Cold_War
independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/framed-Sup
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's genius that's why

Money laundering.

/thread

look at it from far away... that's why.

Pretty sure rich people use it to launder dirty money somehow. Idk too much about it

art in the age of mechanical reproduction

photography- artists had been getting better and better at realistic paintings. after photography efforts towards realism became a gimmick, "so you can paint realistically, you will never be as good as a camera" so artists stopped trying.

Isn't that a pollock painting?

So, scat fetish? seems unlikely

Art is worth what people are willing to pay for it. Like anything else. Why is some retarded nigger running around on a wood floor bouncing a ball worth millions of dollars?

However, perhaps your question is why are pieces from this particular artistic movement considered to be good, when they appear to your untrained eyes to be shit. The answer to that is that you are most likely an uncultured simpleton.

I used to be heavily into modern art as well as early modernists

I cant be bothered explaining this in a complex way but essentially it is worth that much because the artist(Jackson Pollock) developed a new painting technique and style ("throwing" paint on a flat canvas with a brush/and or stick")

many art critics have argued that the "idea"/technique is more important than the finished work itself. That's why exhibitions such as this one held at TATE modern have shown VIDEOs of Pollock painting NEXT to the actual flat painting itself
youtube.com/watch?v=R2xz9Gayrpw

also basically if you come up with a new technique/style in art and you get recognised then you become the "new thing" and can make a lot of money for new ideas.

>BUHHH A KID COULD MAKE IT

Then make it and become a millionaire.

o wait

u can't

Because there's actual substance to it.

It's advanced meme magic and you're still in pre-kindergarten meme mindset.

I guess if you hand a 5 year old paint they'll become a million just throwing it all around.

Why do you think a small bundle of paper is worth land, food, cars...

Art is a money laundering scheme for the rich, the artists got lazy but the rich didn't care. It's a way of dodging tax, knowing when you need the money, a rich person will be able to pay for it knowing someone else is willing to pay for it.

The nigger on the court does takes skill and talent.

>Untrained eye
Bullshit. Art's meaning and beauty should be obvious (pic related). The postmodern Frankfurt school is responsible for pushing the narrative of the "trained eye" to sell ugliness and degrade art as a whole.

Also, there's something to Jackson stuff, peasant.

>Art's meaning and beauty should be obvious

Why? Can an untrained computer user see the beauty in a well-written line of computer code? Can a layperson see the beauty and nuance in our laws and constitution? Can someone not trained in medicine truly understand the beauty and complexity of the human body? Can a non-chemist appreciate a complex and intricate chemical compound?

Art, music, literature, etc. is no different. Sure, there is art that anyone can enjoy, but to argue that training in the field doesn't lead to a more complete understanding of the medium is arrogant and retarded.

If the OP had any training in the medium, he wouldn't have asked the question. He could dislike it on a personal level, but he would be able to articulate why certain groups of people do like modern art, rather than expressing this kind of smug, brutish disbelief that someone could possibly find it beautiful. That is the distinction.

This guy knows.

Cultural and Historical importance
No one pays millions of dollars for a painting because its a really super realistic and technically impressive work.
It's worth comes from it's impact on the art world.

humans are stupid and make meanings out of things that are meaningless.

It totally captures the essence of a S'more

Great art, technology, etc. is obvious to the layman. Deeper understanding can be attained through training. Beethoven's 9th symphony will reduce any layman to tears, yet someone versed in music theory can appreciate it on another level. Training should not be a requirement for appreciation. That is why I consider most postmodern/dadist art to be bullshit. Esoterica for its own sake.

fuck! are you kidding! Crusade battle is cool!

My uncle's an art dealer.

It's 80% money laundering, 20% pandering to delusional people who think that shit's really "art."

It's all about giving stupid people one thing they can latch on to to prove to themselves and others that they're actually misunderstood geniuses. They can "recognize" a Rothko, so they must be secretly smart!

Uncle has told me so many stories about people who take that shit seriously and actually get into the technique and expression or whatever. The dealers all laugh about this to themselves, trade stories, etc.

When someone stumbles across a real, genuine "art genius," they always have little contests to see if they can break through their delusions by trying to make or find art that's too shitty for even them.

My uncle says that no customer has ever said anything out loud, but sometimes their faces speak volumes.

BULLSHIT!!!

Total and complete bullshit!

The truth is, a handful of artists in any given generation achieve the level of skill in realism to create photorealistic paintings.

It's now much easier for artists who don't possess that skill to paint a shitty color next to another shitty color and put a line across it and say that that's art because realism is dead and cameras killed it.

BULL FUCKING SHIT.

This is photorealistic art created by a REAL artist, Akiane Kramarik.

No camera could ever recreate this image, because candleflames aren't dancers.

That's called imagination, it's what artists have that modern artists don'tblame your lack of imagination on the invention of cameras again, you fucking faggot. .

Don't ever fucking

Another Kramarik.

This girl is like 18, she's been producing paintings at this level since about 10-12. A true child prodigy, absolutely amazing.

This art, especially the one where there is an active market for is just a way to compactly store the money. Gold is too bulky and obvious. Rothko is probably a truck load of gold that you can discretely smuggle anywhere and avoid tax implications. The auctions are anonymous. The buys and sells are not reported to the tax authorities. It's not the worst thing to store value.

Artists like this, the few of them that there are in every generation, languish in relative poverty and obscurity while Fucking phonies like Rothko sell for tens of millions.

Look at Picasso, brilliant artist, his paintings as a young man rivaled any of the Renaissance masters, even surpassing them. After he completely mastered realism, he became much more experimental, trying to break down artistic concepts and dissect them at the atomic level. A once in a thousand years genius.

And the whole modern art movement is a bunch of phonies imitating him EXTREMELY poorly.

Easy to make. It's a scam. It's like printing a million dollar bill with 20 dollars worth of supplies. Real art was like this too, but actual masterpieces take time and talent.

It's easy money.

It could be true about portraits, but not as art in general.

You do not need to copy to be a good artist.
Pic related, I do not have a HD pic though

CIA was behind it. Look it up.

People forget, surrealism is also realism.

lol you are literally retarded

you failed to grasp my point and refuted my point by supporting it without even understanding what you are saying

literally nothing is stopping painters from making realistic paintings of shit

after photographs noone wanted to buy their shit so they stopped

if you are genuinely triggered by contemporary art the best thing you can do is buy artists that try to paint realistic things

they wont paint realistic things if noone wants it

independent.co.uk/news/world/modern-art-was-cia-weapon-1578808.html

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_CIA_and_the_Cultural_Cold_War

Yeah, it's money laundering.

Retard, my uncle SELLS fucking art.

Go back and read this thread again.

>this is valued at 250 million dollars

Like this?

Looks like something pulled from the designated shitting streets.

This picture reminds us of what we have lost in the west. For that reason alone it is sad.

>Can an untrained computer user see the beauty in a well-written line of computer code?

Used to feel that Pollock was utter shit, but if you see these pieces in person, they have a profound and very real affect on you. I don't understand how these paintings accomplish it, but I can say from my own experience, as a skeptic, these pieces caused me to feel calmness, anger, fear, joy, etc. The guy wasn't an asshole and he did know what he was doing. I don't think it should be put in the same category as something that creates an emotional response but is also in and of itself beautiful, but it's also not garbage.

>this whole thread

I actually like it. Its the kind of art i'd buy. But I couldn't believe its valued at a quarter of a billion dollars.

you can still buy actual art. why don't you support the artists and buy some paintings? you can buy some nice ones for a couple hundred. you're doing a good thing supporting them anyway

Post-critical theory, everyone.

"I felt a random emotion! Only art can do that, I'm an emotionless automatan when I look at the sky, or a cloud, or a tree."

You had an emotion because you're an emotional being, not because Pollack painted an emotional virus into his splatter.

>thinks art has anything to do with aesthetics

lmao op why do you dress like a neckbeard fuck

I will say this with 100% accuracy. Yet it will blow right over all your heads.
The REAL reason that art painting are worth millions. Is because it is NOT disposable product like cars and electronics.
Wealthy people trade homes, jewelry, and fine art. Because it holds its value. It actually is as another user said
>money laundering
The wealthy are just smart enough to dump millions into a painting that will hold its value.

I've spent thousands on art, you fucking dunce.

Did you forget that you don't actually know shit about the other people producing words on your screen?

Wait is that painting racist or no? I honestly can't tell anymore

That painting is the famous artistic illustration making sense of the Syrian civil war, it's well worth the money.

what the fuck are you even talking about? relax you stupid pussy

I do service work at a retired surgeons house. Except, its NOT a house he lives in. Its full of fine art worth a few million. That and the mansion of cource.
I just dont think common people have any idea how rich some people are
Like the rich lady I service. She has 3 maids. One is for the pets! Yes, she has a maid for a fucking cat.

>a painting that will hold its value.

Not only that, the value skyrockets when the painting is lost for a few centuries.

This is what real art looks like

Oh my god...
This is art...
Money money money...

Now where is my money?

I need like $27 Billion because I'm a sad artist.

Who does he work for? This story is either a lie or he's a low level loser who calls himself an "art dealer"

Paint is a dead medium.

Film is where all the good art is made nowadays.

Eventually it will be virtual reality.

tax loopholes to keep the rich rich

If I squint it looks like some black people attacking white people.

yea me too.

Code is functional faggot not art, and if you think code is art you're probably a faggot

Except none of them actually were successful in their lifetimes, they only became famous after death. So, useless skill really... Only, people that I know that became famous for their skills were all realistic painters.

It's habbened before lol.

>independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/framed-Sup Forums-post-sells-for-90000-on-ebay-screenshot-of-auction-now-up-for-bidding-9646844.html

Because a guy figured he could get rich idiots to pay for his slop, so he slopped it up and said it was art, and anyone who couldn't see that was a pleb. So of course rich idiots lap it up, and once he had name recognition, he could do literally whatever he wanted and people would buy it. "Emperor's New Clothes" and all that.

Hitler tried to fight for art too.

There's the idea of being an insider.

So everyone tries to be that insider.

By trying to prove that they belong.

They come up with the most absurd things, it all begin with cubism, dadaism and avant garde.

They meme-ed abstraction into existence.

Modern art is then like a cancer, trying to recuperate the good cells to turn against the establishment of art.

Contemporary art is just an off spring of that same dirty breed.

I study fine arts, I didn't know what I got myself into. I can't change this.

Those stupid shitty art, is not art, is just circle jerking.

Even a nigger street graffiti is more beautiful than that.

Only if it was painted by a white male anglo or american.

kek

How exactly does it work? Someone pretends to buy/sell a piece of shit art painting to cover up the real movement of the money?

This shit is so fucked up that you need to imagine what the fuck the painter intended with it, and he's probably fooling everyone.

Interesting, now tell me about the Nintendo scams since your uncle also works there.

it looks like an interracial orgy

>>Untrained eye
>Bullshit. Art's meaning and beauty should be obvious (pic related).

He says, posting a 252x200 thumbnail whose meaning and beauty required a google search to appreciate. Not actually complaining, the research produced worthy results.

I'm happy to entertain the notion that representational art is better - my own collection is mostly representational rather than abstract, and if had a sudden urge for a Sup Forumslack I'd be inclined to get a paintbrush and apply technicolour bukkake to my wall myself rather than get a print.

>The postmodern Frankfurt school
The Jews are making people like art I don't like!

Also I'm pretty sure they're why I couldn't find my keys the other day. They're mad because I didn't leave a bowl of milk out for them.