Official Motor/sp/ort General Thread: The end is even nearer edition

This week's highlights:
>NASCAR - All 3 series will be racing in Phoenix in the final race to determine who will compete for the championship at Homestead.
>MOTOGP - racing in Spain for the final race of the season with Marc Márquez 21 points ahead of Andrea Dovizioso
>Super GT - Final race of the season in Motegi Japan
>Endurance racing - Inaugural Hankook 24H Circuit of the America's race will be ran in Austin, Texas this weekend

Weekend schedule: (note - all times are in EST except where specified)

FRIDAY, NOV. 10
>1100: Camping World Truck Series final practice, FS2
>1300: Cup Series practice, NBCSN
>1430: XFINITY Series practice, NBCSN
>1600: 24 hours of COTA Qualifying
>1630: XFINITY Series final practice, NBC Sports App
>1730: Camping World Truck Series Keystone Light Pole Qualifying, FS1
>1845: Cup Series Coors Light Pole Qualifying, NBCSN
>2030: Camping World Truck Series Lucas Oil 150 (150 laps, 150 miles), FS1
SATURDAY, NOV. 11
>0000: Super GT qualifying 1 - 2
>0800: 24 hours of COTA race start
>0810: MOTOGP qualifying
>1130: Cup Series practice NBCSN
>1235: XFINITY Series Coors Light Pole Qualifying, NBCSN
>1400: Cup Series final practice, NBCSN
>1530: XFINITY Series Ticket Galaxy 200, NBC (200 laps, 200 miles)
>2200: 24 hours of COTA race part 1 ends
>2330: Super GT final race
SUNDAY, NOV. 12
>0700: 24 hours of COTA race part 2 start
>0800: MOTOGP - final race at Valencia GP
>1430: Cup Series Can-Am 500, NBC (312 laps, 312 miles)
>1700: 24 hours of COTA race completion

Additional race info: motorsport.com/all/schedule/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yRjgTXm7KdM
youtube.com/watch?v=7PEg3MPdmy8
twitter.com/TakumaSatoRacer/status/927577746812706817
youtube.com/watch?v=5t8Qz92QGaw
motorsport.com/indycar/news/how-pfc-stepped-up-braking-performance-for-2018-indycar-976865/
racer.com/indycar/item/145603-the-week-in-indycar-nov-9-with-jr-hildebrand
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>24 hours of COTA
>John Hindhaugh

>24 hours of COTA race part 2 start
>8 hours between parts

Valencia sold all 110.000 tickets for the MotoGP finale

>Spanish GP
>Spanish rider ahead in points
Seems legit.

5th for COTA is an overrated shit track

Is this real? She's not even a good driver. They should make a movie about /f1/'s mascot girl. She's already got a podium finish and is like 16.

yes and im going to watch it if it's ever uploaded somewhere because i am a useless NEET and need a laugh

soon

Dubs and Markek crashes

Noice

Top Markek

rude

Based

youtube.com/watch?v=yRjgTXm7KdM

Let's see if i get this, DTM will send some cars to race on SGT?

Unironically great scheme, hope he gets a win in that beauty

It's just a demo run just like SGT did at the last DTM race.

The endgame is to have JP cars in DTM and Germans in SGT though

super gt cars have been DTM tier for a while anyway which is sad (to me)

youtube.com/watch?v=7PEg3MPdmy8

rip nick harris

who's going to commentate the races now?

>yfw he crashes but Slowvi still just waddles around in 3th

The hell's going on in here?

So who has what it takes to earn that last spot at Homestead?

>Jimmie has ran like shit throughout the chase
>Chase is always getting cucked out of a victory
>Brad hasn't seemed to have consistent speed
>Blaney makes a lot of stupid mistakes
>Denny is his own worst enemy

I think the race will be won by either Troox, Kyle Bush, or Hurvick, and Brad will sneak in because his team will make the fewest mistakes during the race of all the remaining chase dudes.

namefag probably got a ban

It would be interesting if the 4 contenderget involved in an accident, is the only way i think that race will be interesting

Contenders*

>Won the Indy 500
>Met with two world leaders
>Is just a likable person in general

Sato truly is our guy.

twitter.com/TakumaSatoRacer/status/927577746812706817

>Kryle wins Phoenix
>all the contenders involved in a crash except Chase
>Kryle, Troox, Hurvick all crashed out of Homestead in the big one
>Chase doesn't win Homestead but finishes the race 5 laps down and wins the championship without winning a single race all season

This is what I want to happen.

Gimmie backing into the 8th championship after running like ass for almost the entirety of the season seems like the most amusing possibility so I'll cheer for that I guess.

That one is good too.
>proceeds to keep choking away every shot at his first win for the next 15 years before retiring

The only important thing is that if the #11 is in any position to advance someone absolutely fucking destroys him.

>Truex gets pole and leads every lap
>Caution for 95 car blowing a tire as he comes to the white
>Harvick bumps Troox out of the way on the restart

>if the #11 is in any position to advance someone absolutely fucking destroys him.
You KNOW Denny is wrecking motherfuckers this weekend. He already showed his hand with Chase, and this is a do or die race.

Going to my first truck race tomorrow.

our guy

It made them LMP1 tier sanic though which is awesome

>Chase finishes what newman started
That would surely create another playoff format
Gimmie winning would be glorious, just imagine the butthurt
This one would create a lot of butthurt too
If he advances he won't give a fuck about the other toyotas, he's running out of time and Bell is coming in a couple of years, out of all the contenders Denny is perhaps the one with the most pressure
nice, take some photos

keep us updated mate

ANGERY BOAT

MORE COOLINGS

MORE DOWNFORCE SO ITS HARD TO OVERTAKE WHEN YOURE FOLLOWING SOMEONE

I tend to not think about taking pictures but I'll see what I can get. Won't upload until I get back home

>Denny is perhaps the one with the most pressure
Definitely the one most willing and desperate to wall somebody of the remaining dudes.

Hard to overtake this car or hard to overtake while driving this car?

>"Actually I don't think we have a differing view to Ferrari," Carey said. "I'm not trying to be derogatory to NASCAR, but we don't plan to be NASCAR either.

>"We don't want to standardise the cars. We don't want 20 identical cars going round the track, and the only difference is the driver.

Let me translate that for you
>we want to be NASCAR, but not what I'm going to pretend NASCAR is to say we're not NASCAR

Actually I feel like this lie is what every series does when they make things spec shit. Like you have people absolutely convinced IndyCar is less spec than NASCAR when every Honda powered car is identical except for dampers, the steering wheel, and parts fitment, while a BK Racing Toyota is an absolute piece of shit with a different chassis, less aerodynamic body, and only a few common engine parts compared to a Gibbs one. But nah bro NASCAR is totally IROC because common templates, CoTs, and similar engine architecture lol. Now come buy into all the variety and competition of this BoP shit where you get DQ'd for having one part different than the team beside you goy.

Never ceases to amaze me how many people that are in, and follow, motorsport seem to absolutely disdain competition. Why watch a "race" when the drivers don't matter?

Might as well just get rid of drivers altogether.

Car racing is kind of a shitty sport for pure driver competition because it's ultimately something a machine could do better than a human being. Frankly if I'm going to watch spec racing there is pretty much no reason to watch car racing over the outright higher skill sport of motorcycle racing unless I want to see fat rednecks bashing their cars into each other.

Like the only thing that will ever make F1 more interesting than MotoGP is how high tech and fast the cars are. You pretty much watch F1 to see which team can make their car+driver combo the best every weekend, something that's been made much less interesting by having a million flyaway races, much less track variety, tokens (thank fuck those are gone), parc ferme, multiple race engines and gearboxes, etc. so that the cars and their relative competitiveness change much less race to race.

>Car racing is kind of a shitty sport for pure driver competition because it's ultimately something a machine could do better than a human being.
Oval racing is far more dependent on driver skill than road racing, as the high sustained speeds of oval racing allow drivers to manipulate the draft to slow down their competition and achieve passing. Road racing is far more dependent on equipment, and the car capable of accelerating and braking better than the competition is usually going to win.

Check out some of the old school NASCAR IROC races where there's NASCAR oval drivers, some road racers, and drivers from a variety of series all competing using the same equipment. It's some of the best racing around, and you can see how the oval racers use the draft to make passes and slow down their peers.

>You pretty much watch F1 to see which team can make their car+driver combo the best every weekend
No you don't, because that's pretty much decided at the beginning of the season. See: Mercedes
F1 is a shitshow with only 1 or 2 teams capable of winning a race at any given time due to the technological and budgetary advantage achieved through stupid amounts of cash.

Regardless, MOTOGP racing is pretty bad ass.

>because that's pretty much decided at the beginning of the season
Maybe you should read until the end of the sentence there Bubba. Brawn won its championship with what was like the 4th best car at the end of the season. Even this year the Ferrari was the faster car half the time or more and in 2014 and 2015 there was a few tracks where the Mercedes was really shitty and Ferrari or Red Bull were better and a couple races Williams should have won if they had even the vaguest fucking idea of race strategy.

Shit this year 3 teams have won races on pace and it isn't even a particularly competitive year. It's entirely possible next year could have 4 or 5 teams competing for wins if Renault's engine is worth a shit. (or one could win 20 races, who knows, that's the point)

>Brawn won its championship
8 years ago, and they haven't competed since.

Regardless, I'm not going to waste my time arguing with a F1 autist about competition, because they don't know what it is...

>me on the right

>Motor/sp/ort

Is that Kyle's ho?

wah spooky

Lelgano won first stage and Chess won second stage at the Spring race. So Hendrick and Penske will be fast. Kryle was leading till the late race and Newman's meme strategy kept Larson from the win. Blaney is probably shit out of luck cause he's never put good results up in Phoenix. Jimmie's just too slow lately. Denny will probably have no one but JGR/FRR team mates helping him and that means they have to ride up front all day.
It's going to be Chess or Bread but Chess will need an outright win because Bread will likely take a stage or two.

BOTH

I'd like to inform you that machines are already better at riding bikes than humans.

>Oval racing is far more dependent on driver skill than road racing

Help! I'm being forced to orgasm against my will

>Visser's heart attack and surgery will prevent him from being at Homestead
Guess that'll be the storyline NBC will be pushing for the 78

>oval racers are better at driving oval races than other drives

at least they won't push the "muh cancer gf" and "muh small team" storyline so hard
>captcha

>Blaney is probably shit out of luck cause he's never put good results up in Phoenix
When will you stop spouting lies? In 8 NASCAR starts at Phoenix Blaney only finished outside the top 10 once, which was this spring where he started second and spent most of the day in the top 10 before getting a speeding penalty late.

>It's going to be Chess
I think if Chase is in the lead on the final laps they'll just send him into the wall again. He's too big of a pussy off the track, and that never earns respect on the track.

/missBP/
/missBestwick/

sticc

>Counting Xfinity and Truck starts
Calm down Jon Wood

Would you look at that? Top 5 in practice

Source; unless between now and two weeks ago when Rossi btfo motobot again something changed.

ALONSLOW TO WEC ALONSLOW TO WEC.

WILL RACE LE MANS
WILL RACE SUPER SEASON.

JAPAN WILL FAIL HIM AGAIN LMAO.

I bet anything Slowpez is out after he wrecked his LMP1 car into the Porsche in Shanghai

youtube.com/watch?v=5t8Qz92QGaw

>Alonso to race at LeMans
Nice!
>...for Toyota
The fuck is he thinking?

Shocking that Christopher Bel is on pole tonight

Phoenix quals on nbcsn right now. Important for the must winners.

>the sun
>muh eyez!

I mean theoretically you could make some sort of motorcycle piloting robot that's not even humanoid that can do things a human being could physically never even execute as long as all of its bones are intact, so let's say you could put a dude in the driver's seat of a car and have a computer drive it better than the man while if you have a human being on a bike they will always significantly impact its performance.

>they haven't competed since.
top lol

>they don't know what it is
Is it Penskewinslol and Gibbswinslol? Fun fact, the same number of races have been won in F1 by a non-Mercedes team this year as a non-Penske team in IndyCar with only one more race run so far.

post concessions user

You must be lost.
Let me help you, user.
>>>

Already on the track. It was just your basic restaurants and the team tailors. If I remember I'll take pics on the way out

oh my dear allah, he can't escape failure

(You)

Blaney!

Blaney to the pole

Look he's on pole

Until you take any posts including NASCAR "racing" exclusively to their own thread you can fuck off.

Phoenix quals.

Brad sucking. Blaney looking good. Larsonsahn trying to exact revenge.

You seem upset about something, user.

He's probably thinking since the best driver Bernhard aren't driving the best Porsche ever made aren't going to be there and the competition is all privateer all he has to do for the Le Man win is a comfy night drive where Kobayashi and buemi carry him to an easy win.

I honestly think Hartly Bernhard Kobayashi and Buemi are all better than Alonso.

Lel I like Indy better but you are actually right.

Indy at least has more competition than F1. i've enjoyed F1 more in the past but not currently

You're probably right. Big gamble, though, considering the Toyota curse. It's like the race Gods hate them.

He should've gone to Jackie Chan. cap this post

Jesus lads, what a shit show.

Have some interesting tidbits.
>“We have introduced a lot of neat little features that we can’t fully discuss just yet,” says Dong, “but what I can say is that one of them minimizes the motivation for the teams to fiddle with the brakes to get the drag out of them on ovals. It’s a pad retraction system, and we first ran it at Chevrolet’s Phoenix test last month.
>For the first time in who-knows-how-long, the drivers [Will Power, Ed Carpenter and Spencer Pigot] were having to brush the brakes at Phoenix because of the lack of downforce, and with this retraction system, the first little bit of travel in the brake pedal is to compensate for that. Then it behaves like a roadcourse brake system.

motorsport.com/indycar/news/how-pfc-stepped-up-braking-performance-for-2018-indycar-976865/

Also, JR Hildebrand talked about a time when ECR changed the settings in their Simulator so the 2015 Chevy Car has 900HP~ and ran virtual laps at Indy.
He said they managed a 243mph average lap.
He did clarify that simulators begin to do unusual things when outside of their designed parameters so that’s worth noting as one of many confounding factors.
racer.com/indycar/item/145603-the-week-in-indycar-nov-9-with-jr-hildebrand

find 1 (one) (uno) actual flaw

Truck race thread Truck race thread Truck race thread Truck race thread

My only real problem with F1 this year besides passing being literally impossible a couple places is the championship being contested between Bieber's bottom bitch and the pissiest German since Hitler. That and "I made it to Q3 with 200hp less than the rest of the field in the snow uphill both ways while comforting a homeless baby girl and doing my taxes" every weekend from Alonso.

Then of course everyone had to jump on sucking Alonso's dick at Indy even though in the last few years we've seen Munoz, Busch, Allmendinger, Rossi, Jones, and others be comparably competitive their first time.