Why are the early seasons so underrated compared to the later seasons?

Why are the early seasons so underrated compared to the later seasons?

Especially season 1

>maximum comfy
>slowly seeing Don's past revealed
>top tier office banter
>Peggy still knows her place and hasn't turned into a feminist cunt
>early 60s were still a comfy time before the hippy faggots took over
>Don has traditional family and hot aryan wife
>Don is functioning and great at his job and hasn't yet degenerated into a depressed alcoholic shell of a man
>seeing how sneaky and ruthless Don is to Roger with the elevator

6 > 5 > 1 > 4 > 3 > 7 > 2

it was acclaimed from the very first season actually. by critics and by viewers.

I mostly meant underrated on Sup Forums. This board only talks about the later seasons.

I like all the seasons but the early ones had a different feel to them. They felt more serious and less memey

season 1 is about the characters all being set in their ways, they're all very static and comfortable in the ultra-conservative 50's lifestyle. in the later seasons the characters are better developed, they're constantly evolving and changing as their established attitudes are challenged by the shifting social mores of the 1960s. The show got more experimental as it went on, too, which ultimately just makes for a more interesting watch imo.

Mad Men was always great, tho, it was just the rare show that improved as it went on.

Early seasons had a heavier family dynamic. Til Dick went & fucked it up.

>by the shifting social mores of the 1960s. The show got more experimental as it went on

How so?

Do you mean like dead Bert dancing around and singing

Six is a fucking work of art. I've never seen anything that relentlessly depressing on American TV before.

I think that season 3 is the best. Season 1 had that comfy feel, but there was an underlying tension beneath it all. By the 3rd season, the cracks really start to widen and everyone's life starts to fall apart. Plus, it was still the early 60s by that season, before the country changed dramatically in style and identity.

6 is great but what's so depressing about it? It actually had most of the funniest moments of the show.

>the whole office getting high on meth
>Bob Benson weirding everyone out
>Pete has gone from being an eager young kid to a jaded, fat, balding 30 something
>Don slowly losing control as his life falls apart

Did they deliberately make Don's face more bloated as the show went on to match with his alcoholism, or did Jon Hamm just gain weight

Jon Hamm checked into rehab shortly before the series ended. He might have mirrored Don's alcoholism a little too closely.

What were they actually drinking when they drank whiskey in the show

Roger's LSD trip, surreal dream sequences, etc

No Lane Pryce.

Way too much Betty

What about season 5?

I was right with you until you tossed in feminism in your argument.

Allowing yourself to have professional ambition above being a secretary is just common sense. Peggy's character is awesome.

Is the bar stocked?
MW: The bar is stocked now, with real alcohol, not water, and —

KS: Onion water [laughs].

MW: [Laughs.] Onion water. Yeah. They can't drink that and act. I don't want to ruin the show for you. I mean. they can [drink alcohol]. I'm not saying that no one's ever done a scene drunk on Mad Men. I will not say that, but most of the time, what you're looking at, what we provide for them, is water.

Glen was at peak creepiness in season 1, every time he came on screen it felt like I'd sat on the remote and accidentally changed the channel to a Twin Peaks re-run

It was speed, not meth.

speed aka amphetamines, which includes meth.

Holy fucking wew are you wrong.

Then post your rankings faggot

What the fuck was her problem?

ZOOBIE ZOOBIE ZOO