Other urls found in this thread:

streamable.com/f66i1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

hallucinations

He's Ulysses 31

dehydration induced hallucination of the painting he sees every day

lmao

It looks like an El Greco painting

Father Rodriguez has a savior complex. It makes his protagonism less identifiable with, and adds depth to his character.

it was about as subtle as this you fucking ape

He (and Shusaku Endo) meant that Jesus would have apostatized to save Japanese Catholics and that apostatizing was the most Christian thing he could have done.

You missed the point.

He saw himself as jesus when in reality he sacrificed nothing but the lives of others.
I know people here like memeing on shitty on-the-nose symbolism like in Man of Steel but this really isn't like that at all.

>his mind is so puny he can't process a subtle joke

hmm

These
Bad thread OP

You missed the point of both scenes it seems.

The funny thing is, the MoS scene is actually subtler.

Please don't compare this work of art to anti art trash like man of steel

I loved how Scorsese built up the obvious Jesus connections throughout the first two acts (Judas, the wilderness, saving those that are "lost", etc) so the audience sees Rodriguez as Christ-like as Rodriguez did.
Yet these connections are purely surface-level, Rodriguez is not like Christ at all, and this makes the realization in the last act all the more devastating.
Makes you think if Rodriguez held on to his faith out of devotion, or guilt?

that christians have a persecution complex?
pic somewhat related

>Jesus literally tells him what to do at the end

this ruined the movie for me, he could have achieved the same effect without blatantly imposing jesus' face on

The point isn't that he's Jesus, it's that he's seeing Jesus because he's losing his mind. It's not exposition of a subtle theme for the audience, it's literally what's happening.

What about when Jesus tells him to step on him

jesus in still on earth and lives underwater.

That's not Jesus, it's Satan.

I kind of get what you mean but I am bothered that there is little reason telling you why he flipped in the third act.

What changed? He saw japs died for him often in the first two acts. But that only strengthened his faith, or I should say strengthened his insistence to the formality.

What changed him in the third act? It seems it was the beheading scene that shook him. But how was that different from the sea crucification scene?

I think it was meeting Ferrero

>jesus
>white man

Why didn't he just go back to Portugal

>last movie Hacksaw Ridge
>this movie Silence
>the director who made Hacksaw Ridge also made Passion of Christ

They are cashing on the gay masochist audience base right?

and you missed the point of being alive fucking cocksucker

is there a blu-ray rip up yet?

The Inquisitor was devilishly cute

In their effort to stamp out Christianity from Japan, the Japanese mastered the western language and theology, and set up an office called Inquisitor, and regularly performed the ritual of stepping on face of Christ.

The inquisitors are the true believers

Ferrero was his mentor, and had spent far more time in Japan than Rodriguez. He provided a perspective that Rodriguez could not previously see, and it came from a place of love rather than the Inquisitor's harsh command.
By the end of the movie there wasn't anything left to keep him from stepping on the icon but his own hubris, and Fererro shatters that.

Guy was being an egocentric dick.
>Dude I'm like totally jesus right now
Meanwhile everything that happens to him and those around him is his fault.

Christians need to stop sticking their dicks in other countries to push their religion. It's just getting people killed for no reason. It's still happening in North Korea. Missionaries decide they want to feel like heroes and go into North Korea to try and convert people. Then they inevitably get caught because it's North Korea and get ransomed for a fuck ton of money while anyone who actually converted gets sent off to die in the coal mines. It's legitimately a threat to national security.

Wait a minute that face....

>church
>there is a Jesus image

What a hack.

nah he's literally hitler

#LetThemIn

>Ulysses 31
Yumi is my cunnyfu

It's a follow-up to the more subtle image of Rodrigues riding on a donkey, in mockery of Christ's triumph. I actually found that image to be much more provocative, but then again you'd have to know the biblical context.

streamable.com/f66i1

Was it the voice of Christ or just another hallucination?

Self induced schizophrenia.

Wasn't this before he was riding on the donkey, since that was after he was captured, no? It's been over a month since I saw the film so I could be wrong

He was so obsessed with Jesus he started thinking he's him.

That is some pretty bad CGI.

Is this film actually worth watching lad?
Or is it just another cringe-worthy attempt by someone trying to be artistic (ala Malick)?

Yeah you're right he's led to the stream by the traitor and then he sees the image and is taken into the village.

This film looks okay but the cast looks dreadful. Pass (again).

It's an incredible film...could be longer actually. The critics were dead wrong, but then they so often are!

The movie is pure Martin kino, don't fall for the hate people give the actors.

its because early in the movie, garfield said something about somone and when they were about to die at the end of their service or some shit they saw the image of christ before them, and here when garfield thinks hes going to die saw the image of christ before him too but saw christs face on his body