/who/ - Doctor Who General

Tenth Doctor is best Doctor edition

Ded:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/jRkqlpZeGq8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yeah, I don't think so.

If Benny pushed Ten down on the bed, he'd just start crying about how she's not Rose. That's not the Doctor.

The Series 10 costumes are shown today in Liverpool at the BBC Worldwide Showcase.

The Cybermen are confirmed to return.

Did they literally just spoil the Time Lords returning?

Also
>no Weeping Angel

Fuck off Moffat.

Dr who?More like Dr inbred brit lmao

>Did they literally just spoil the Time Lords returning?
Last season, we learned that the Gallifrey is just hanging out in normal space, and the Doctor tossed Rassilon off the planet to go fuck shit up somewhere else instead. Gosh, I wonder if the Time Lords will be back this season? I hope there are no spoilers.

In other news, the Doctor will have a companion, and the TARDIS will travel in time.

Ha! Good one old chap!

And the Doctor literally left Gallifrey without bringing it back to the actual universe, so they're still stuck wherever they were and there was no indication they would return. Cunt.

Are there anymore pictures from the showcase?

>More like Dr inbred brit
Um… how can you tell an inbred Brit from any other Brit?

It's not just that they've all been stuck on an island for millennia with nobody but their cousins to fuck. Send a German family to England and within a couple generations, you get Prince Charles.

>the Gallifrey

Well, there are at least 8 spare ones, if Big Finish is to be believed.

OK, fine. I'm drunk. In the morning, I'll be sober, but you'll still be remembering that I misquoted Winston Churchill.

And whoever brought up the nine Gallifreys, until Romana and Leela run into Clara and Ashildr, kick their asses, and take back their stolen TARDIS, they don't deserve to be canon.

Time to say goodbye, guys.

youtu.be/jRkqlpZeGq8

Aren't the Ice Warriors just the greatest?

They do have a sort of a Bank Holiday Monday feel, the kind of Jules Verne, Edgar Rice, Burroughs story of derring-do, which I've always loved.

>Edgar Rice, Burroughs
PS, this comma is in 90% of the articles quoting Gatiss, not just the one I copy-pasted it from. Seriously, do journalists not have copy-editors anymore?

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

People think Edgar Rice is different from someone else named Burroughs.

They're in the actual universe dipshit, they're just stuck at the end of it.

I wonder if he was hurt by the negative feedback from Sleep No More. I know Reece Shearsmith was.

>People think Edgar Rice is different from someone else named Burroughs.
I suppose it would be kinda cool if Gatiss were talking about From the Earth to the Moon, John Carter of Mars, and Naked Lunch. I'm not sure all the bits about heroin, hanged men getting erections, and the anal glands of young Moroccan boys would be appropriate for family television, but let Gatiss try and see if it works.

>Classic cyberman head

HOLY SHIT GET HYPED

GENESIS OF THE CYBERMEN HAPPENING!!! CONFIRMED!!!

I wonder if the shit Daleks ate him up too

Fuck off cats.

Spare Parts isn't canon

>I know Reece Shearsmith was.
You'd think by now Reece would have learned not to let Mark write for him except as Papa Lazarou.

Although, come to think of it, that episode would have been a lot better with Papa Lazarou in it.

He died. Shot dead by Missy, why do people keep saying he survived and will return? He was killed.

>Spare Parts isn't canon
Everything Marc Platt writes is canon. That's why Missy called the Doctor "Snail" and Simm kept making jokes about the Other.

It'll just be a Jules Verne story of people dugging into Mars and finding Ice Warriors colonies and a whole world living underneath. It's Gatiss m8.

The last time that someone got close to Benny he got mindraped and then killed by his own son.

Braxiatel is pretty yandere for Benny user, I don't think a fling with the Doctor would last.

>It'll just be a Jules Verne story of people dugging into Mars and finding Ice Warriors colonies and a whole world living underneath. It's Gatiss m8.
That's not very Edgar Rice Burroughs, unless the Doctor finds a half-naked red Martian Princess along the way and impresses her family by being able to jump kinda high.

What happened? Did batmanmarch say he was a shit actor?

What's your least favourite aspects of Nuwho?

In no particular order
>Moffat's obsession with 'exploring' the character of The Doctor as as whole

The whole point is that every regeneration of The Doctor/any Timelord has the same memories and similar motives but has a wildly different personality. It's fucking stupid to see Moffat's writing retconning the personalities of older Doctors to fit his Tumblr pandering fetish.

>'Morality Tests'
I fucking hate when the Doctor is presented with two solutions: killing an old enemy to save the universe from suffering or not having a death on his hands and risking the wellbeing of all life.

On the one hand, it's dumb as fuck because some Doctors (including 12) have been known to kill individual enemies if they really have to, so why that wouldn't extend to Davros of all people is beyond me.

In addition, you fucking KNOW that every single fucking time they pull this shit, some inspirational music will fire up toward the end of the episode and the Doctor will pull a third option out of nowhere and resolve the plot without having to make a difficult moral decision.

>Focus on companions
This extends to the old series at points too, but it irks me how most of the interesting conversations and exploration is given to the companion over the Doctor, who in more recent series basically just serves to work the TARDIS and follow the orders of The Girl Of The Series.

Can't we just have a series where The Doctor goes solo?

>Half-baked plot arcs
Either go for a full on sequential plot a-la Fargo etc every series or have a series of distinct episodes. The attempt to work an arc into events that happen at random parts of history in episodes that wildly vary thematically is dumb as fuck, especially when it all resolves with a Russel T Davies explosionfest.

I WANT THE CLOTH FACE MONDAS CYBERMAN NOT THESE FUCKS! REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Family drama shit with River Song and Amy Pond, spontaneous pregnancy and people who are suddenly revealed to have stalked the Doctor through his entire life.

This is my only dislike.

>That's why Missy called the Doctor "Snail"
GIVE ME A FUCKING SOURCE YOU FUCK

No, another bloke was genuinely saying his acting was good. Not the first time he's had a pop at someone on Twitter

But you don't need a source for Simm constantly making jokes about the Other?

Are you rusing me? I don't remember any of this.

What's that thing between the Ghost and the submarine suit?

>Are you rusing me? I don't remember any of this.
Surely you at least remember the part in Last of the Time Lords where Ten and Simm reminisce about how even though they were loomed by houses with an ancient rivalry they still became fast friends, right?

Hell yea!

Show runners with big egos

DELETE THIS

>Show runners with big egos
Fucking Innes Lloyd.

>Other
What is this?

>What's your least favourite aspects of Nuwho?

The erasure of Gareth Roberts. I shall never forgive Steven Moffat for doing this, yet keeping Mark Gatiss.

Never.

Not in all the years in time and space.

No idea, but what is that green egg looking shape between time lord and emoji robot?

>E

>"Don't be ridiculous Bill, we're never safe. Not in here, not in the TARDIS, not in this universe or the next."

>‘What are you talking about?’ Fitz protested. ‘You didn’t say he was one of your five statues earlier.
>‘What do you mean, five?’ She sounded vaguely amused. “There’s only ever been four, one for each of the colleges who built the Panopticon.’
>‘Stop mucking around,’ Fitz insisted. ‘It had five walls and as many statues, we talked about it!
>‘Four, Fitz.’ Romana’s tone suggested this was the end of an idiotic conversation, but Fitz wasn’t having it. Another soft, posh Time Lady voice was speaking to him too, from a little further back.
>‘She said there were six colleges, six statues!’
>‘This is getting tiring, Fitz. The statues are just the same as they’ve always been. The Doctor, the Other …’
>‘No!’ Fitz was almost laughing in his frustration. ‘Can’t you see it? It’s all changed! This place is square!’
>‘Naturally.’ She stepped off midair and on to a walkway of blue copper, her footsteps echoing lazily around the empty hall.
>‘No!’ He followed her on to the walkway and chased after her. The air was colder up so high, and Fitz’s arms were already puckered with gooseflesh. ‘You just can’t see it, can you? Your history’s being torn away and rewritten and you really can’t see it! Your precious Panopticon had five walls earlier. Now it’s got four. What if tomorrow you find it’s got three, and you start telling me that three is the basis of all Time Lord society, huh? You’re not going to worry about this until there are only two sides and it closes on you with an almighty bang, like a book slamming shut on you …’ He dapped his hands together for effect and it sounded like a pistol crack. ”The End!’
The Other is the source of all of Gallifrey's geometry problems.

Why did RTD get rid of the seal of rassilon?

The arm of one of those.

It's got antenna so it looks like the Mire from S9

He didn't, he just made a new one

59th FOR APPRECIATING APEIRON'S SPIKY COMBAT BOOTS

The fucking "Whole New Era" shit that came about when RTD gave Doctor Who over to Moffat was-- in retrospect-- cringy as fuck, given that literally every other show in history swap showrunners without there being any pomp or circumstance.

DELET THIS

I legit thought this was about Weeping Angels at first.

Glad they got rid of that 'new one'

>What is this?
Google Lungbarrow, and Cartmel Master Plan.

Since the Other was erased from history by Rassilon, we know nothing about him, except that he was erased from history.

Oh, and he's probably also reincarnated as the Doctor, and he's also probably Leela's son who's named after the Doctor, and when Lady Peinforte said the Doctor was More Than Just Another Time Lord she meant he was the Other because witchcraft can defeat Rassilon, and he probably either failed to get Rassilon and Omega to stop fighting or caused them to start fighting in the first place, and the biggest holiday of the Gallifreyan year is called Otherstide, but otherwise, nobody knows anything about him.

I hate this, because it set the precedence that every new show runner should have a complete fresh start

Moffat thinking he's being clever is easily the most grating thing because NuWho. RTD's plots were pretty retarded, but he was aware he was writing for a Saturday Night Family audience, so went for campy, dramatic, big dumb fun.

Moffatt on the other hand seems to think he's God's gift to Sci Fi and fills his writing with obnoxious bullshit.

>Who is The Hybrid?
>It's ME!
>LOL I bet you thought I was talking about that shit TV Movie, but I actually meant the character Me I made a few episodes ago!

>How do we get my boyfriend back?
>Go to hell.
>What?
>Go to hell. We'll literally go to hell and get him back!
>LOL I bet you thought the Doctor was mad at Clara but instead he was just using wordplay to made an incredibly tactless statement that suggests that his friend's boyfriend went to Hell :)

And let's not forget the constant fucking barrage of attempts to make characters say "Doctor who?" that riddle his scripts, or the arrogant assumption that he can use his characters to retcon the work of the far more talented writers who actually made the show popular.

Fuck you Moff.

>I legit thought this was about Weeping Angels at first.
Most stories would not be improved by adding spurious Weeping Angels, but The Ancestor Cell, yeah, that would have been a lot cooler.

In fact, a couple Slitheen couldn't have hurt that story either, and maybe an Abzorbaloff.

I just noticed Rassilon's seal looks pretty damn Celtic.

It's a House Faction Paradox represent episode user.

>In fact, a couple Slitheen couldn't have hurt that story either, and maybe an Abzorbaloff.
DELET THIS

>DELET THIS
Sorry, Mr. Cole, but you know as well as I that book really isn't your best work.

>In fact, a couple Slitheen couldn't have hurt that story either
Excuse me, would you mind not farting while I'm resurrecting Grayjan the Old for no actual story payoff?

I fucking loved it. It did read like an FP parody at points with teenaged Time Lords and muh rituals and bone spiders but I would 10/10 vote for Greyjan the Sane.

>Teasing the latest iteration of The Doctor as being "darker than anything before" when in reality they're just some nice guy like every other Doctor

The War Doctor and Twelve were betrayed by shit writing.

The hell comment was literally GOAT. The double entendre wasn't just only to fool us but also Clara. He did mean it, he basically told Clara to go fuck herself then he said "nah I meant we're going to actual hell". He literally explains it the next minute.

>I fucking loved it
Seriously? You're literally the first person I've ever heard who said anything remotely that positive. A few bits, sure (and the first Grayjan scene was one of them, despite what the other user said, even if it didn't go anywhere that interesting), but as a whole, it was a huge mess of crap.

Reminding you every thread

>tfw this will never happen

/who/ wil errupt when it's not her

But the double entendre is shit writing because it was literally only put into the script as a line to make the audience think The Doctor was mad. There's no in-character reason at all for the Doctor to break his plan to Clara in the way that he did.

For a start, The Doctor did it in such a way that Clara-- a person who has been driven to sheer desperation at the loss of her boyfriend-- would think for almost a minute that he's basically telling her to fuck off.

Second, the Doctor's choice of words come across as mean spirited because he's basically telling Clara that the man she loved is being punished in eternity for his sins rather than going to heaven, which isn't a great thing to say to someone in her mental state.

Third, other than for plot reasons, there is literally no reason at all that the Doctor would even broach the subject of an existent afterlife where Danny can be rescued from to Clara because-- for one-- there has been literally zero evidence or attempt to do such a thing in the previous fifty years of the Show's history, and two-- Twelve doesn't really seem like the kind of person to offer false hope given his interactions with characters throughout season 8.

It was literally just blind luck that Missy had been running a scheme to trap departing consciousness to put into Cybermen that what he was doing actually worked.

>Tenth Doctor is best Doctor edition

I liked Greyjan, the bit where you know what turned out to be the TARDIS, the Fitz reveal, Gallifrey's geometry problems, the poor TL who burned through all 13 regenerations in one go - brutal and Compassion kidnapping that guy and her being a TARDIS.

I didn't like Obstructive Bureaucrat Romana III's out of character impersonal/blunt manner, teenage Time Lord cultists and the Spider wild goose chase.

At least War has some stories in Seasons of War where you could really see him earn the whole "one that broke the promise" label.

God, yes. That kind of obnoxious dialogue is the most irritating thing about Moffat's writing.

>there has been literally zero evidence or attempt to do such a thing in the previous fifty years of the Show's history

>The ghosts of N-Space being actually ghosts from an actual afterlife.
>Grace being resurrected by the Eye of Harmony and then telling the Doctor that the afterlife is nothing to be afraid of.
>The Papal Mainframe offering to send the Sontarans to the appropriate afterlife.

If you count Torchwood:
>A ghost telling Gwen he's happy to be able to move on to the afterlife, and soon after floating up into a glowing white light in the sky that's exactly like what's described in N-Space.
>Owen and Suzie returning from death and saying the afterlife is real, but it's nothing but darkness and you're constantly stalked by Death.
>Owen being resurrected again and talking about the afterlife again, more positively this time.

If you count novels, Big Finish, etc.:
>Davros being sent back from the afterlife.
>An amusement park attraction that lets you visit the actual, factual afterlife for 30 minutes.
>Katarina's story in the Greek afterlife.
>Gwen sending a message to Owen and Tosh in the afterlife.

I'm pretty sure there's more that I'm not remembering and/or thought I remembered but couldn't find in a search.

Always felt that Seasons was worth it for the (obviously fanservicey) War chatting with Narvin but the prose and plot was spotty in places and the outcomes not as impactful as it could have been.

War's run was tempered significantly by weak writing both on television and in the audios (the Rejoice plotline amounted to nothing, Ollistra was well not much of a character. All of Big Finish's OTHER Time Lord characters like Councillor Allora, Straxus, Vansell, Sentris, you name it, had imbued within them a kind of life whereas Ollistra seemed to exist because she existed, and as a substitute for Romana so the listeners wouldn't feel that Romana's Gallifrey was shitting on the Doctor. Ollistra doesn't feel like a person. And War just seems to do things that don't especially distinguish him from the other incarnations really and Eight definitely feels darker and more pragmatic than War at times which is counterintuitive. )

>I liked Greyjan … TARDIS … Fitz reveal … geometry … poor TL
Yes, those are the good bits. Well, at least they start off good; Greyjan and Father Kreiner both get disappointing.

>Compassion kidnapping that guy
That could have been cool, but Nivek had no character whatsoever, and I never figured out why Compassion wanted to take him in the first place.

>and her being a TARDIS.
But that's from Shadows of Avalon (and set up since Interference), not Ancestor Cell. And it's not even one of the good parts of Shadows. I was really looking forward to the inside of Compassion's soul, and it turns out it's Hollywood-crazy neon bullshit, not actual-crazy.

>Obstructive Bureaucrat Romana III
Her later out-of-power scenes with Fitz partly redeemed that by making it clear that she'd been doing what she thought was necessary for the job, but yeah, not enough.

>teenage Time Lord cultists … Spider
Ugh, yeah.

But what about Faction Paradox being an invading army who might as well have been Sontarans? The Enemy being some old cells? The stupid Klein bottle thing? Grandfather Paradox? The Doctor getting amnesia again, after we've just gotten over the second time?

I'll give it credit for the cool bits. And for setting up for the Richards era, which started off well and then got even better after a stumble. But still, the main story is a mess of crap.

The Afterlife was a huge feature of the Wilderness Years EU that Moffat was part of. The Doctor meets Death a few times, Gallifrey's Celestial Intervention Agency sacrifice their physical bodies to become beings of energy inhabiting their dimension Mictlan (Hell), The City of the Saved which seems to be where Moffat quite literally pinched the idea fron the EU - well there's a lot of background influence to consider on Moffat's writing of the afterlife.

Not to mention that all the EU plot points are basically extrapolations of the Matrix. Time Lords don't lose people like humans do, the Matrix contains the minds of every Time Lord so death is simply a thing that didn't happen. In part, Missy recreated that for her own agenda.

The other points make perfect sense.

>the Wilderness Years EU that Moffat was part of
To be fair, he only wrote a single Decalog short story the entire time.

But to be unfair (which is fair), he spent a lot of time at the Tavern with a group of fans that included a third of the Virgin writers, and on RADW with two thirds of the Virgin writers, so… yeah, he knew what they were writing, and argued about the details of the books as often as he pretended he wasn't reading them.

>tfw when Compassion wanted someone to bully.
Yeah the choice was as random as hell.
>I was really looking forward to the inside of Compassion's soul, and it turns out it's Hollywood-crazy neon bullshit, not actual-crazy.
Me too. Although Marie (the other humanoid TARDIS) was pretty regular so I didn't expect anything too creative. I guess later on the City of the Saved ramps it up in the creativity department. I don't remember anything up with Antipathy and Lolita later in the EU - those two are the other candidates for pure craziness although we don't get much insight.

>But what about Faction Paradox being an invading army who might as well have been Sontarans? The Enemy being some old cells? The stupid Klein bottle thing? Grandfather Paradox? The Doctor getting amnesia again, after we've just gotten over the second time?
Pure shit tier. I loved Foreman's Kleins Bottle concept from earlier on so I'm willing to overlook the bottle.

>I was really looking forward to the inside of Compassion's soul
Cornell intentionally decided not to make it too dark, because he thought it would take away from the horrific implications of Romana coming after her.

Which just shows that he completely misunderstood the Doom Patrol plotline inside Crazy Jane's head that he'd raved about.

The entire Ancestor Cell was me wondering what the fuck was up with Romana III.

Juliet Landau could have definitely pulled off an Ancestor Cell Romana as a cynical Trey though.

But after the Randomiser I was definitely expecting something fucked up with Compassion's soul.

>Although Marie (the other humanoid TARDIS) was pretty regular so I didn't expect anything too creative.
Well, yeah, but Marie wasn't a main character, she was a bad pun (a TARDIS stuck in the shape of a 1960s London policewoman) turned into a minor side story.

Miles deserves a lot of the blame for the other books, for not actually telling anyone what they were supposed to do with Compassion, so he could yell at them for doing it wrong when they did, but Shadows does a great job with her as a human and then completely falls apart with her as a TARDIS.

>I guess later on the City of the Saved ramps it up in the creativity department.
Yeah; in fact, it might have been better to just do a series on the City and Compassion instead of Faction Paradox and the War. Not that there isn't some other good stuff in FP, but that book and the first short story collection are the best things in it.

>Cornell intentionally decided not to make it too dark, because he thought it would take away from the horrific implications of Romana coming after her.
I hadn't heard that. Maybe I could understand that as an explanation, except for the fact that he also downplayed the rapey implications of what Romana was after, which made it kind of pointless.

The next two books (I think; I can't remember for sure what happened when anymore) made up for that a bit, especially with the randomizer thing, but then it just stopped moving forward again and TAC just ignored it.

>Which just shows that he completely misunderstood the Doom Patrol plotline inside Crazy Jane's head that he'd raved about.
I don't remember anything about those issues except that her soul was organized like the London Underground and her original personality vanished and left behind something so horrible the artist can't depict it.

>frozen margarita hangover
>big lump of lasagne
>fuzzy slippers on
>comfy Teninch on W
>rain

I truly am the king of kings

am I blind? where's the cybermen?

olde-timey Cyberman head there on the left

>muh dark edgy rambo doctor!!!

t.underage

hows he gonna regenerate?

Why is the BBC so cheap when it comes to the animated recreations of the lost episodes.

I mean, c'mon. It deserves a bit more dignity than wooden moving Flash puppets whose walk cycles are literally moving the legs like a pair of scissors and bouncing them up and down when the legs aren't in frame.

Fucking get some koreans to animate that shit or something. Jesus.