Why were the early 2000s(00-03) so damn whack and bizarre compared to 2004-2009...

Why were the early 2000s(00-03) so damn whack and bizarre compared to 2004-2009, which was relatively "normalized" and dare I say, BORING?

By 2005, I remember stuff like N64, frosted tips, nu metal, Discman, Nickelodeon being good, movies being shot on 35mm and not digital, etc. feeling like it had been 10 years ago, even though it had only been TWO years.

By comparison, 2013 was four years ago but I can't really spot a discernible difference between then and now.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DL7-CKirWZE
youtube.com/watch?v=eVTXPUF4Oz4
youtube.com/watch?v=A-TO-L1Escc
youtube.com/watch?v=tLPpGKKV3s4
youtube.com/watch?v=xGytDsqkQY8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

lol I was at a Sum 41 concert yesterday :^)

pop punk sucks

YOU SUCK

The late 90s were worse: Rap Metal and Teenyboppers

CAUSE

>2003
>bad

I want you to leave.

You're older.

Time seems shorter the older you get. When you're in high school or earlier, weeks seem to last forever. When you're an adult, months can fly by without you even noticing

i graduated high school in 2005. 00-03 were the best years ever. internet was exciting with people getting broadband, music was interesting still, not as many cash grab movies, cell phones were small, fashion was gud.

life was good desu.

i saw blood brothers live 7 times. u jelly?

The first three years of the aughts were an extension of the 90s then there was a nice interim period and then the Obama era began and liberal cultural marxism got way out of hand

The wackness and bizzareness you're explaining is just leftover from the 90's.

9/11

Fucking pleb

>Nick being good
You mean Hey Arnold, Spongebob, Rockos, and Ren+Stimpy. The rest fucking sucked. No one waxes nostalgia about "As Told By Ginger"

>Implying the late 90s weren't a glorious time for metal bands like Meshuggah

This is a very confused and "meta" post. I lived through the period as an adolescent so I'll riff on it, and on the OP.

-The very usage of the word "whack" is a sort of ironic throwback to the eras that the OP is discussing (because it dates from early 90's rap and had fully disseminated into the mainstream culture by that point). I really doubt that the OP would have used "whack" if he had been discussing the sixties or the early 1980s or such.

-The OP has a sort of confused remembrance of the dating on most of his pop-cultural examples. Most of what he's referring to were things in the mid 90's, but perhaps he only became aware of them as a kid circa 2005. The N64 came out in 1996. I know next to nothing about Discman but I know that a PS1 game was available around the same time as the above, in one of those OLD PS1 cases that's like a big DVD case. Goofy hair has been around forever. Nickelodeon always had at least some quality programming going on throughout the 90s, in particular the nicktoons, ren and stimpy, rocko's modern life, are you afraid of the dark, salute your shorts, etc.

-It is true, however, that music was particularly shitty around the turn of the millenium. There was a confluence of pop acts - britney spears, backstreet boys, nsync, and the alternative, being nu-metal (limp bizkit) which were all peaking around that time. Apart from Napster, the internet wasn't quite good enough yet that you could very, very easily find good music instead, so there were a few more years of this shit in the milleu.

-I have to throw in a 9/11 comment. This really did disorient the country for a good 18 months. perhaps making good music wasn't a priority, somehow.

"Web 2.0" started being a thing circa mid-2000s. All that that means is that websites started getting qualitatively better and search got much easier, and so on. Torrenting went wide around this time; people who wished to escape the above pop shit were now empowered to do so.

9/11 sucked the fun out of everything

There was a weird process of inversion where people were tricked into believing that pop stars could be virginal, that whites could rap, that blacks could be president, and that Arabs could be democratic. Were we ever so young?

Also lets not forget the notion that rock rap was considered an ideal, and respected medium for social critique.

>early 2000s
>AJ Soprano was the voice of a generation
>Blink-182 and Nickelback were the shit then
>Gladiator somehow won Best Picture Oscar
>Richard Harris was still alive
>comics were good

I miss those days

only saw them 3 times but I'm not American so those were the only opportunities I had.

>tfw never got to see Glassjaw because the guy kept falling ill

Why did Hillary lose the election if the US is a democracy?

Nickelback was never the shit

comics went to shit in the mid 90s

These two things continued into the 2000s, yes, but the late 90s saw a lot of good electronic music come out, and MTV would even show music videos once in a while. MTV basically abandoned this practice circa 2000, in favor of total pop shit on the off-chance that they still did show videos once in a while. This actually mattered pre-youtube; people like to watch video clips, of course. OK Computer was released in 1997, which did much to tide a kid of a certain age, just getting into music, over through the awful years.

Simply hitting a point where everything has been done and there's no new ground to tread.

that's just the residual 90s that wasn't killed by 9/11 creeping into the next decade.

>By comparison, 2013 was four years ago but I can't really spot a discernible difference between then and now.
I disagree, I legitimately feel like political correctness is dying and the atmosphere now feels completely different to then.

Definition of the late 90s:

youtube.com/watch?v=DL7-CKirWZE

Defintion of the early 00's:

youtube.com/watch?v=eVTXPUF4Oz4

Cultural carry-over from the '90s.

>2005
>N64

ahh nu metal

youtube.com/watch?v=A-TO-L1Escc

Did anyone else have a subscription to Nickelodeon magazine? That shit was hype, I loved it. I still have the last issue

We entered the era of hurt feelings. PCism has destroyed our culture

It's like what happened to Iran in the 1970s, how Islam took over and now no fun is allowed

9/11 happened in 2001. But 2002 and 2003, despite being after 9/11, still had that "whacky" feeling to them, while 2004 is when things started getting boring

Explain that.

Was it Obama's election that sounded the death knell of American culture? I feel like things were OK up until 2009, but by 2010 we saw a steep decline. I don't think we hit freefall until about 2012 though.

>muh political correctness

Nah, it died out around 2007. Obama just summoned in the shitstorm that was the '10s.

Partially. It energised rabid alt-righters who genuinely believe it was the beginning of the end times.

In 2011, a large backlash toward corruption and banker fuckery was sabotaged and targeted by subversion through identity politics. The left was gaining momentum, so they were subverted from economic focus into fractured identity groups putting in-group tribalism above the good of the whole.

This SJWism spread everywhere and totally took over the left and mainstream culture like never before.

Miller was doing Sin City in the nineties, in '93 he seemed to absorb grunge in The Man Without Fear, and just kept treading that course. Then in the 00's he came out with DKSA, which is a huge book for 90's satire.

You're doing that thing that you people do where you broaden the meaning of a word so far beyond its actual meaning that it's effectively meaningless.

"the alt-right" you're referring to was the right.

Around 06-07 people started to realise Bush duped them into invading Iraq.

Spotted the libtard

Rise of smartphones and social media. Especially twitter. Seems like the whole world became jaded and veiled in irony some time with the rise of twitter around the early 10s.

Chris Matthews, Hardball

In the context of his comment even using that term is retarded. Back then it was all about the Tea Party movement.

Eh newsflash user, the world was always jaded.

You were probably in your teens in the 00s so you think that was when the world discovered cynicism.

Wasn't Michael Moore's 2004 documentary responsible for that?

Yeah, 2012 is a good pinpoint on a freefall. Washington D.C. just thought it could run the world as a city-state, like Babylon before it.

It was generally just time making fools of us all. Saddam was deposed but for some reason we were still in Iraq.

In large part yes, but it grew from that point.

>the first ever President of a non-military or political background being elected and the second most powerful country in the EU leaving has no cultural impact because reasons
okay

Because America lost its fucking mind after 9/11.

The alt-right grew out of that. The actual right was disappointed to lose an election but not seething and raging

youtube.com/watch?v=tLPpGKKV3s4

Is this what you wanted?

Yea.

Declaring war on terror = declaring war in evil itself. It's never going to end.

cognitively dissonant projecting leftcuck detected

8 years snowflake

>the alt-right
>in 2008
no

I hated DKSA and Miller's glory days were over by 1996.

The alt right probably preferred Obamas presidency to havin another war-hawk neoconservative like McCain in.

The rise of SJWism is responsible for creating the alt right.

T. Neo-reactionary

I'm one more stupid post away from just totally ignoring anyone who tries to make "the alt-right" a thing outside of Richard Spencer fans.

>the right wing are now leftists according to Sup Forums

wew

Doesn't this say it all?

Things started going shit after the internet became mainstream and the rise of smartphones and social media. These 3 things took a huge chunk of people's lives and they haven't really changed much. That's why it feels like there isn't much of a difference between 2007 and 2017 as there was between 2007 and 1997, or 1997 to 1987.

Also, once High Definition became standard, it becomes impossible to distinguish between today and 10 years ago as theere isn't a very drastic improvement in image quality, so you don't get that nostalgia feeling that you do get when looking at footage from the 90s to early 2000s which looks a lot worse and thus more distant

Delayed response. People tried to act normal and get back to routine for a couple of years.

Then there was the Big Bang Theory universal quasality event in 2007.

I'm trying to decide whether or not this is better or worse than modern pop music and am having immense difficulty with it. It definitely has more personality and doesn't feel like it was created with a computer algorithm but it's just so fucking stupid.

This. I hate all qaeda simply because it reaffirmed the US's cosmically huge control complex. It turned them from being the giant gorilla who just SAT there eating bananas all day while stink eyeing Russia and China occasionally into this paranoid control freak who needs to be into everything that goes on in every country.

The fucking towelheads ruined the world by unleashing America's autism upon it.

>Definition of the late 90s:

youtube.com/watch?v=xGytDsqkQY8

Too many social controls now. Don't forget all music/movie/TV/news companies are owned by a tiny handful of companies. And they want you to continue worshipping your "queen" then they're gonna present her as the queen of the scene for which you the mindless consumer will do your part and bow down to.

But there are cracks. Indie music is gaining lots of ground even though it's just a copy of 80's college radio and 90's alternative. It's new to the millenials.

he's getting better

Thank God.

Indie music isn't new to people in their 20s and 30s.

PC culture wasn't as strong as it is now, it was around, just that everyone was too busy having fun and didn't give a fuck what a single mother who made poor life choices had to say. It really wasn't until autism acceptance happened where everything went from fun to now you can't have fun because you'll offend me.

>feeling like it had been 10 years ago, even though it had only been TWO years.
Same here. I feel like the era 1998-2003 is a weird one that abruptly ended in 2004.

Liberalism is like gang membership today, the bloods and the crips have nothing on them

Movies started turning shit after 2006.

Spider-Man
2002 = Awesome
2004 = Awesome
2007 = Shit

Xmen
2000 = Awesome
2003 = Awesome
2006 = Shit

Harry Potter
2001 = Awesome
2002 = Awesome
2004 = Awesome
2005 = Shit

Superman Returns
2006 = Shit

Also music started turning to shit. The last good mainstreal pop song I can remember being released was Hollaback Girl and that was in 2005

I jerked it to that book a frankly ridiculous number of times as a teenager

Also the last good Pixar movie was The Incredibles (2004), and by (((coincidence))), 2006 gave us the shittiest Pixar franchise, Cars

>Hollaback girl
>good

Nostalgia is cancer. Grow up and live in the present.

Compared to Lady Gaga and Katy Perry and Taylor Swift music, its great