Baseball newb here. Why is bunting so hated by most fans? Seems like many times a batter is sent out to bunt...

Baseball newb here. Why is bunting so hated by most fans? Seems like many times a batter is sent out to bunt, the fans and even the announcers criticize the decision.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=np6yN4kdu20
youtube.com/watch?v=Pio3-45-fpA
youtu.be/o4ETev3lxQ8
youtube.com/watch?v=957pSmvfDCI
youtube.com/watch?v=4lEb5jzy674
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Because casuals only want to see big hits.

Some just because they are ADHD macho faggots
Some hate it because advanced stats indicate that giving outs away is actually really stupid

what's bunting and why would you do it?

It's a short hit that is almost guaranteed to be in play. Generally used, in a close game, to get a player from 2nd to 3rd base.

little chance of actually getting to first base

Does a bunt count as a strike if you miss?

Yes.

Even if its outside the strikezone?
The batter isn't swinging the bat.

If the bat path crosses the plate at the time the ball crosses the plate plane, it's a strike. Its also a strikeout if you bunt it foul on strike 3

Because more often or not, you are not going to bunt for a hit. Sacrifice hunts are especially egregious because you're sacrificing 1 of your outs for a non-guaranteed run

because its gutless. Its something japs do.

a proper bunt is GOAT
youtube.com/watch?v=np6yN4kdu20

Is that why we lose to the Japs whenever we play them?

This is the correct summation of the issue. It's a more defensible decision with a runner on second and no outs. There is also the issue of many modern players coming up as the undisputed star hitter of their amateur teams who were never or rarely asked to bunt growing up and not having much of a clue in terms of properly getting a bunt down or if they do, the proper direction they should be sending it.

Why don't they do this all the time and move people around one base at a time?

Small ball wins games not championships

>surprise bunts

because they have to be placed perfectly, or, in the case of the first bunt, have a pitcher throwing hard enough to be able to bunt into shallow L/R field.
if the pitcher didn't throw hard or the bunt was improperly placed on a hit and run, it would be almost a guaranteed double play with a runner on first.
Runners on second and third (depending on their speed) make the choice to bunt easier

Many of those bunts were from power hitters who don't typically bunt and were done against an infield shift. Teams shift their infield because some hitters so rarely hit the ball to a particular part of the infield. Once runners start getting on base, infields do not shift so dramatically or at all.

Interesting. The more I learn about baseball the more respect I have for it. I officially proclaim it to be better than cricket.

Nothing like a good old fashioned bunt. The unpredictability of it, it could go left 5 feet or it could go right 10 feet, then there's the excitement of watching a gangly pitcher run over to the ball before the other guy runs far enough to not be out. God I love baseball, it's motherfucking thrilling.

Is this sarcasm?

if you bunt all the time the infielders can move up to make a play faster and the pitcher can throw breaking balls with low velocity to make the bunt less effective

maybe you’d prefer this sort of small ball
youtube.com/watch?v=Pio3-45-fpA

A bunt in pesäpallo is like art if it's compared to baseball.
youtu.be/o4ETev3lxQ8

>who are the 2014 San Francisco Giants and 2015 Kansas City Royals

Bunting is situational and if you're not in the appropriate situation to bunt then it's essentially being a retarded batter.

Not to mention bunts fail ~60% of the time.

A bunt isn't guaranteed in successfully moving the runner and you are giving away an out. Because of that you are lowering your probability of scoring multiple runs per an inning, and therefore, unless the player bunting was a far-below-average hitter, you are reducing the expected runs scored that inning.

That isn't to say that there are no circumstances where it is advantageous to keen in on a single run. It would often be worthwhile to bunt in the bottom of the 9th in a tie game, for example.

People who criticize bunts have never seen a perfectly executed suicide squeeze bunt.

not a sport

It isn't hated. It's only hated by AL babies who like watching 300lb fata sses hitting dingers.

Best bunts thread?

youtube.com/watch?v=957pSmvfDCI

>ninny league loves the sac bunt and pitcher-batter
I'm surprised you guys don't utilize "roughness cards" like soccer.

We beat Japan at the last WBC.

The only people who hate it are mental midgets who are too autistic to understand situational baseball and would rather see someone strikeout or hit into a double play rather than maybe take an out and advance your runners into scoring position because it's "boring".

I like the bunt from anyone but a 300+ hitter. Nothing worse than grounding into a double play to kill momentum

*kneels*

>*22 men run around with fingers in each other’s asses*
>*ties*

>he doesn’t rate the sac fly rbi

It's done because japs are less concerned about stat padding and more concerned about their team's success. That is unless Oh's record is at stake, in which case it used to become walk city.

The new pitch clock is a load of horseshit

>Generally used, in a close game, to get a player from 2nd to 3rd base.
More commonly used to get a player from 1st to 2nd base, a.k.a. "scoring position."

You can't even compare a sacrifice fly to a bunt. Nobody is ever trying to get a sac fly.

It's only hated in the American league because they lack the the tactical depth of the National league since the former league is obsessed with just hitting the ball out of the park, while the latter is planning how to get the man on base to advance to keep a double play from happening.

Also, there's nothing better than a cheeky walk off bunt because you know it's coming and you can't do anything to stop it if the execution is perfect.

Goddamn crime this game wasn't on any list for the best games for the 2016, just for the amount of fuckery the Cubs bullpen and Maddon did.

youtube.com/watch?v=4lEb5jzy674

>have to watch documentary about local jap baseball team from the 30s multiple times at school
>would bunt all game
>won local league
>say they were disliked because of racism and not because they were a bunch of cunts who should have got beaned

What the fuck is bunting....? and when I say bunting, I mean baseball.

>Making your lineup worse on purpose for the sake of "tactics"
>In an era of baseball where everything is getting more and more specialized the grandpa league still trots a pitcher out there to hit.

Pitchers should hit so they fire the ire of the bean ball. AL pitchers are little bitches who bean batters on purpose because they’ll never get beaned. NL pitchers don’t go around intentionally hitting batters because they will personally face retaliation. Look at any series between Boston and Baltimore and you’ll see what I mean.

beautiful.

>willingly having an automatic out in your lineup
I'm glad half the teams in MLB don't handicap themselves in such a matter

>paying fat geriatrics to use the modicum of upper body strength they still have left to jumpstart your cold, gangrenous offense

fans don't want to see technical baseball. just 500ft home runs. bunt is just as important

>willingly carrying a fatass blooter man on the payroll