What was the point of this character?

What was the point of this character?

Other urls found in this thread:

gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2015/04/04/fall-of-the-empire-how-inner-turmoil-brought-down-a-legendary-studio.aspx?PostPageIndex=2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

dunno he was a useless stupid character

And Taco Bell promotional material.

There had to be a lightsaber fight at the end of the movie, so Lucas pulled something out of his ass real quick

This

But then the clone wars series took him and turned him into one of the best characters in star wars.

George lucas is a hack writer, and wanted a disposable big baddie to show the protagonist's growth.

>those glued horns

I know practical effects are better than CGI, but at least make some effort ...

Fuck, I never noticed it before

He's there to kill Qui-Gon and die, and he's all outta Qui-Gons.

Palpatines henchman that chases the main characters around. He's also conveniently disposable.

Why in the fuck didn't he survive to be the secondary antagonist through 2 and 3? The Dooku character should have never existed and the role been filled by Darth Maul through all three films.

So how come Darth Maul wasn't kept alive and used in Episode 2?

Imagine an emotional battle between Obi Wan and Maul again

>..."At least we will have our revenge."
>Maul says this line in Episode 1
>Appears in Episode 3
Would have been the ultimate poetry

It should have been Obi Wan's driving force throughout the three films.

>be me
>always thought he was the phantom menace
>literally didn't even realize it was actually Anakin until a couple months ago

Yeah
>Obi Wan constantly thinking about wanting to find and kill Maul for what he did to his mentor

The end of his horns.

>Die

Uhmmm... Actually...

>>literally didn't even realize it was actually Anakin until a couple months ago
No it was fuckin Palpatine who was literally hiding in the shadows and no one knew he was the bad guy behind bringing the Sith back.

I can't believe there are people who have no idea who the actual Phantom Menace was 18 years later

Should have cut him and had Dooku as the villain throughout all 3 movies. Christopher Lee was amazing and Dooku's character had room for a much more interesting story.

Darth Maul was strange, didn't look like he belonged in star wars. His character had no lines and the lightsaber was stupid. He had no development and was only there for the fight scene. Dooku would have been a great villain throughout.

It's a double meaning - Darth Maul and Darth Sidious

This mirrors Return of the Jedi - Anakin and Luke

It would give him a more personal reason to be invested in finding the Sith.

Everyone is so bland and one dimensional in the prequels.

let you know that "Duel of Fates" was coming

Stop it. Star Wars is dead, and no amount of "what if" can change that. Stop opening this wound.

>be you
>have a revelation
>am still wrong
Man, I hope this isn't a mirror of the rest of your life.

Uh George you could have done this better with a computer you know.

The Box office of TFA and RO disagree with you. Better embrace for Episode VIII, Han Solo, Episode IX, and spin off #3. You can call it dead all you want, but it's not going anywhere.

Complaining about this type of thing is the pettiest shit ever. You don't go to a puppet show to look at the strings do you?

>Implying the Phantom Menace wasn't Jar Jar being elected as a senator to vote the creation of the Clone Army
>Implying

>why didn't Lucas surgically graft pieces of bone into the actors skull

Darth Maul should have never been in the prequels. Qui-Gon should have been in all 3 prequels. The first movie should have started out with Anakin as a young adult. Jedi should have been portrayed as an authoritarian galactic regime that comes to Anakins home and declares it as part of the galactic federation. A war is fought between the natives and the Jedi, shit happens and somehow Qui-Gon saves the life of a young anakin from a jedi firing squad.. We should have seen a young Obi-Wan and Anakin bond over three films, just like Solo and Luke did. Then it should be revealed that there are Sith who have infiltrated the jedi ranks, eventually revealing that Qui-Gon is actually Darth Plageuis. Anakin remains loyal and refuses to kill Qui-Gon, but Obi-Wan cuts him down and Anakin is declared a traitor. Sidious is then revealed and takes advantage of Anakins feelings of betrayal and need for revenge and together they establish the galactic empire and overthrow the Jedi. Obi-Wan and Anakin fight for one last time before he gets his hand chopped off, and Obi-Wan spares his life and manages to escape the jedi genocide, taking Anakin's newborn children. roll credits

It could give an actual decent arc for Anakin as well. He gets caught up in Obi Wan's revenge, except that Obi realises it was wrong to fall to hate while Anakin doesn't see the issue

This is why you run a story with a basic fucking idea in mind first. The fact any of us can shit out a simple framework when George couldn't is a travesty

Strings are an integral and expected part of puppetry. Seeing how cheap and obvious the horns have been glued on in a hundred million dollar production isn't.

This idea is fucking terrible

Who the hell actually sees anything past the unaltered original trilogy as Star Wars? All that's been made since fan fiction.

>he thinks that's an argument

Shouldn't you be getting ready for school?

>why didn't Lucas just cast a real Zabrak

If he had, then maybe, just maybe, the prequels would have been good.

what's up my fellow RLMers?!!! how are those big kino sensitive brains doing? hold that thought! Mike and Jay are talking about a new meme I need to watch brb

First off, you can't even get the unaltered trilogy anymore. I still have them on VHS and they are my favorite versions, but I'm not going to hate anyone for watching the special editions. It's all you can get at retail price.

Second - I wish the prequels didn't exist because of it's contradiction to Empire. However, I like TFA because it's faithful to the origional trilogy. I'm looking for to 8. I appreciate things about the prequels, but I look to the OT for all things star wars about the force and the Jedi.

go to bed, George, you already gave the rights away.

>Star Wars is dead

Nah, TFA revived it

>you can't even get the unaltered trilogy anymore.
That's where you're wrong. Torrent you some Despecialized editions.

To sell toys and give autistic writers a "cool" character to milk

TFA is every bit as shit as the prequels.

lol nah

The TFA>all 3 prequels put together

You are using George's shitty ideas, but in an even more retarded way

This board is already rotten to its core, we don't need mouseshills on top of it

>hurr durr if you disagree with me you're a marketer
Fucking cancer

>>hurr durr if you disagree with me you're a cancer
Fucking marketer

Actually it's faggots like you who ruin this board. Post arguments, not call people shills because they disagree with you.

kill yourself retard.

Do you really need to be spoonfeed to see what's all the things wrong with TFA ?

>the protagonists weren't white males so it sucked :(

I've heard a lot of arguments and I disagree. There is no definitive argument for it being bad. It's just objective opinions. The majority of critics, fans, and movie goers considered it a good film.

The prequels had white male protagonists, and we hate those too. Kill yourself, shill.

Ever heard of a film called A New Hope, or are you too young to remember it ?

>"This Star Wars movie feels like a Star Wars movie!"

>objective opinions

Fucking how blind are you, Mickey ?
It doesn't "feel" like a Star Wars movie, it's a blatant rip-off without any kind of personality or creativity

Funny, you just described the prequels

Kiefer Sutherland wanted to be in a SW movie

No, it's a remix of the entire OT into one film that introduces new characters and gives a send off to the old. This is what fans have wanted since the prequels - movies that felt like the OT. Now that it's been reintroduced, a unique story will follow.

He was a real badass looking dude.

>the prequels
>not creative
Thoughtlessly slapped together, and amounting to a pile of shit that killed the series, but the were creative.

>Make sure to pre-order your tickets for Star Wars™ Episode VIII : The Last Jedi™, a unique story will follow !

>felt like the OT
At what point? Pretty sure I watched a reskinned JJA Star Trek.

The entire film. Your comment is utterly retarded. TFA felt more like the OT than any of the prequel movies did.

That's the problem, it doesn't need to feel like the OT to be a Star Wars movie.
Fuck we need some new ideas, not a poor's man ANH to please some nostalgiafags

>TFA felt more like the OT than any of the prequel movies did.
>I'll defend TFA by pointing out that the prequels sucked
The prequels being giant piles of shit doesn't make TFA good, potato brain.

Yes it does need to feel like Star Wars. Star wars is rebirth of classic cinema and the classic hero archetype. It is a homage of countless epic movies from the 50s and 60s. Writing new stories in the universe doesn't just capture star wars. You have to keep the story structure and character types similar because without that, you just have a bunch of special effects, lightsabers, and space ships.

RLM said it best, star wars is a big universe in theory, but it's very small.

>RLM

Try thinking by yourself once in a while

>you just have a bunch of special effects, lightsabers, and space ships

So a Star Wars movie then?

I do think for myself - that's the first time I quoted anybody. I've seen youtube reviews from all perspectives. If anyone is going to be accused of groupthink, it's the people who use the same thoughtless arguments of "mary sue" or "blatant copy" ... these are the big flashy arguments people use ... maybe they should think for themselves and form their own arguments?

There's probably a dozen Star Wars videogames that capture the SW feel better than the last 5 movies while expanding on the universe. Hell, the Ewoks movies are a better continuation of Star Wars than any cinematic effort after.

They waited too long after the original trilogy to start making movies again.

There really isn't though. Maybe some of the old one's like Dark Forces and Jedi Knight.

Games like Kotor? That's just a blatent rip off of original trilogy characters and plot beats. Also much of it feels more like the prequels than the original trilogy. This is the problem - they don't feel like the original star wars.

Honestly, you are just pulling on strings. You can hate the movie, but the themes, atmosphere, art design, practical effects, music score, ALL are more true to the OT than anything that has come out in the universe since 1983.

Think you're just reading way too much into children's films bro

>I'm actually sitting here arguing about what does and doesn't feel like Star Wars with some nobody
If Jew Jew Lensglare schlock feels like Star Wars to you, then whatever fag.

KotOR II was the best and most interesting thing that happened to the Star Wars universe since ESB tho, too bad it was unfinished.

I disagree, it was the worst interpretation of star wars and the force in all of the EU. I don't even consider that game a star wars game.

I picked your opinion out of the trash just so I could discard it a second time.

Sure, because midichlorians are so much better

Force unleashed 2 says hi

>Darth Maul is one dimensional and really in your face like he's going to maul you
>Darth Sidious is really sinister and insidious and is very subtle with how he does things

Woah

If you could have any kind of legs in the world why would you choose bird legs?

You argue midichlorians when I agree, I fucking hate midchlorians just like I hate the prequels. However, KOTOR II disregards what we learn about the force in the OT and makes it something entirely different. It's nothing but a continuation of prequel garbage. That's what Kotor is - the continued destruction of the star wars mythology.

never played that garbage game. More garbage for prequel fans. Nothing in it is true to the OT other than setting.

>
It rhymes :^)

Why hasn't this been posted yet?

>But then a phantom menace struck. George Lucas would periodically check in on the status of the games his company was making, lending creative input and advice. The developer I talked to sighs, and agitatedly says, “In one viewing of Fracture, [Lucas] said it looked really good, but he didn’t like [Mason Briggs’] name. We’re like, ‘What do you mean, George?’ He responded to the effect of, ‘It doesn’t really fit. When he jumps on stuff, he moves pretty fast. I like B.J. Dart.’

>“So everybody’s like, ‘No, he’s gotta be f---ing with us.’ He’s absolutely not. So when something like that happened – in the middle of the campaign, mind you – we have to go back through that entire naming convention again… from scratch.” From that second session, Jet Brody was born. Coincidentally. Jett is the name of Lucas’ son.

>A similar situation arose with Star Wars: The Force Unleashed’s protagonist, Starkiller. “[That name] was only supposed to be a nickname or call sign, not a proper name from the beginning,” a former LucasArts employee says. The development team hoped that Lucas would give Vader’s apprentice a Darth moniker, which at the time, was something that didn’t happen often.

>“The team threw a Hail Mary to George, saying the game would have more credibility if the apprentice had a ‘Darth’ title,” a Force Unleashed team member says. Lucas agreed that this situation made sense for Sith royalty, and offered up two Darth titles for the team to choose from. “He threw out ‘Darth Icky’ and ‘Darth Insanius.’ There was a pregnant pause in the room after that. People waiting for George to say ‘just kidding,’ but it never comes, and he just moved on to another point.”

Jobber

source? I'm guessing if it's true, that was Lucas' way of saying go fuck yourself.

Why? What's his problem?

Truth be told, Mason Briggs is about as generic and unimaginative as it gets.

Bravo George

So we can have duel of fates

what's the source?

is just making shit up like a faggot

gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2015/04/04/fall-of-the-empire-how-inner-turmoil-brought-down-a-legendary-studio.aspx?PostPageIndex=2

Fucking newfags I swear...

If spin off #3 is a Dath Maul flick I'm ok with that