Why can't Hollywood produce a decent medieval movie?

Why can't Hollywood produce a decent medieval movie?

youtube.com/watch?v=EqbePJOLdjY

Why do they keep making shitty Arthurian movies?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4f99n4pFJZE
youtube.com/watch?v=3MyHwD8wJ8k
youtube.com/watch?v=y3cXcS49D64
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What do you mean why?

The protagonist still hasn't completely soiled the name he made for himself in Sons of Anarchy yet and there hasn't been a medievel action movie out on a while to scratch that particular itch.

Why wouldn't they try to rub those two factors together and see if it produced gold?

That's not a medieval movie, it's a fantasy movie. So they're not even trying.

I always thought the guy was a pretty good actor, but he always poses for pictures with that retarded look on his face.

Agreed. Look at what Jude Law is wearing. I wouldn't be surprised if a dragon appeared because some idiot exec remembered the Disney Sword in the Stone production

But the question then remains, why cant Hollywood do a good fantasy movie? These dont strike as particularly difficult concepts.

that looks great

What do you think a good, live action fantasy movie looks like?

>why cant Hollywood do a good fantasy movie?
Did you miss the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy?

At this point, I don't even know. I know I loved the Lord of the Rings, though each movie got progressively worse and ended up becoming the Hobbit

Excalibur, Conan the Barbarian, Willow, Stardust, Dragonheart, Pans Labyrinth, Dark Crystal, Legend, Gladiator, Brotherhood of the Wolf, Braveheart

I enjoyed those. Maybe Im missing secret gems?

Beastmaster is pretty good.

Marc Singer is awesome, and that whole series is a joy to watch

>Guy Ritchie
>Hollywood
why are redditors so stupid?

Personally I loved both Sherlock Holmes and would put them somewhere in my top 50 list.

>no Aiden Gillen screencap with DKR dialogue changed slightly to fit this movie

You wouldn't last a day in the SKARCH

>"If I pull this shot, would you die?"

>backscabbard

>we'll never get another realistic/believable early medieval arthurian movie

Reeeeeeeee

Arthur shouldn't be medieval but we

Typical Hollywood medieval movie:

youtube.com/watch?v=4f99n4pFJZE

What genre would you consider an Arthur movie?

Good, if it's not a mad historical fantasy like Excalibur IT'S SHIT.

This all that stuff about knights etc is retarded we should see shieldwalls clash.

Right? Why should Excalibur (1981) be the height of this genre?

Excalibur would have been better if it was set right after the roman withdrawal.

Dragonslayer. Conan. Legend.

I posted it as soon as the trailer was out and no one replie

still waiting for a good adaptation of Jean D'Arc

Why not?

Young Tanya Roberts was a joy to watch too.

He means the Arthurian legend actually predates the Medieval period.

Probably because it's a British film above all.

>black guy in european folk/history

I will never be okay with this, I don't give a fuck what you have to say about it.

Most people think it's historical, not a legend. I kid you not.

Even that weird (I liked it though) 2004 movie was marketed as "historically accurate". WTF?

I dont disagree - I do think its the height of the genre. But it came out in 1981.

It saddens me that Hollywood hasn't been able to produce and equivalent or better since then.

That's a very good point, actually. Huh.

>Why can't Hollywood produce a decent medieval movie?
Go back to the 80's, user. They already did.

youtube.com/watch?v=3MyHwD8wJ8k

>Choose this instead of Pacific Rim 2

RIP Charlie

Does Jude Law owe someone money? Why is he in this?

if he can survive Crimson peak he can survive this

Yes but those people literally don't matter.

To be fair the original King Arthur himself and the original base story havng SOME historical precedence isn't absolutely absurd.

There's more than one (Tintagel mainly) Castles in the UK that play it up for Dolla dolla.

Look at some paintings and shit from these eras. There was a few black guys around. People always liked to travel to exotic places. A few people adopted exotic (to them) cultures as their own. It's always been a thing.

Movies are about special cases, underdogs and exceptions, not the mundane and ordinary.

Jude does what he wants, he was top of the pops in Young Pope

Crimson Peak was great. It's a Gothic Romance and a really good one. People expected something else, that's why they hated on it.

Surely there has to be a decent French one. What was Besson's with Milla Jovovich like?

Has Helen Mirren, Patrick Stewart and Liam Neeson in it.

>non-european traders where a thing
>implying that pre-inudustrial europe had any sense of a multi-cult atmosphere and that these shitskins would actually stick around settle down or lead armies

also it was mostly europeans that traveled to exotic places to trade not the other way around, most other people simply didn't have the wherewithal, technology or inclination to travel.

i am not from pol.

But before you even think about adding one black person, you will have 100.000 slavs, 10.000 arabs and 1.000 asian people in it.
Blacks are literally not existing in european history.

this is just the typical hollywood black person.

they took people from other races with them to europe and tried to "civilized" them (wich included making them into "gentlemen", even if the real reason was to show them around like some circus animal to impress people).

But people are people and if you hang around someone long enough (and you,re not a dick) you'll end up respecting him and seeing him as more than the race/culture he came from.

That soundtrack... that dialog...

youtube.com/watch?v=y3cXcS49D64

Any man who would be a knight, would follow a king... follow me!

Hollywood is only intersted in the special snowflakes characters. The 1 black guy is (ironically) that snowflake.

Superb poster.

"some" as in we don't even know who or if Arthur was...

I have searched for a decent copy for years that I could stick on my wall. The search continues...

>he isn't excited for King Kino
Absolute pleb

Just saw Black Death. I think it was decent.

Did you know he was legally blind? Everything was like a big blur of darks and lights. And this was before everyone wore contact lenses.

Black Death 2010? Nothing to do with Hollywood - German-British film.

> what is pic related

You're right, my bad

The worst part of this fucking movie is that the guy who covered The Wild, Wild Berry will not do a whole cover of the song because he can't be assed to do it.

What a piece of shit.

>Did you know he was legally blind?

What, he played a blind man in a movie but there's no other source about what you're talking about.

>The Name of the Rose is a 1986 Italian-French-German drama mystery film

Do you people even know where Hollywood is or do you think every English-language film that's released is automatically American?

hollywood is now metonymic for the film industry kohai

Why ?

Oh arabs were traders, so it doesn't bug me at all. Especially since the black guy is apparently owning a ship and not a local. I'm not chocked at all.

>they took people from other races with them to europe and tried to "civilized" them (wich included making them into "gentlemen", even if the real reason was to show them around like some circus animal to impress people).

That was in the 19th century.

For you.

Excalibur was an Irish movie.
It somehow revolutionized Irish film making at the time, seems like a waste to me since every Irish movie ever made since is just moping about potato famine and the British

i am OP. so when i said "hollywood" i meant all films everywhere ever

British film, shot in Ireland yeah.

the only thing that ruins these movies are extreme use of CGI

it kills all sense of vicariously dreaming by having to make ever scene over the top and epic

>guy ritchie
there is your answer

you are in my top 50 list of fucking plebs

stop it

Geralt!

The TV series is better desu.