Reminder that Michael Bay made it into The Criterion Collection

Reminder that Michael Bay made it into The Criterion Collection

Other urls found in this thread:

criterion.com/people/123276-billy-ray-cyrus
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

He's an auteur. Not a good one, but he's certainly an artist.

DROPPED
R
O
P
P
E
D

Can we bring the brewskies

Reminder that 95% of getting into the Criterion Collection is what Criterion can secure the rights to

I haven't seen Armageddon yet. But The rock is fine. I think there are better action flicks out there but whatever.

Kevin Smith also made it

this

while they do great work releasing old classics on home video that bigger studio-owned companies won't touch since they won't sell in huge numbers, they aren't cultural arbiters deciding the "canon" of world cinema

Armageddon is good.

And?

They just re-release stuff (and sometimes re-scan stuff)that they want to and can get the rights to.

>they aren't cultural arbiters deciding the "canon" of world cinema

what is

the armageddon/chasing amy/the royal tenenbaums deals with disney probably paid their rent & bills for years

Sup Forums

They're the closest thing we have. The majority of their movies are at the very least interesting to watch

They need more Baykino honestly. Special editions of 13 Hours and Pain N Gain would probably be big sellers.

>check criterion
>It's real

WE DID IT REDDIT, WE MEME'D OUR MOVIE INTO THE PATRICIAN HOUSE

With Blue is The Warmest Color this is two comic book movies in the collection I believe.

>They're the closest thing we have.

Here is a tip that will blow your mind You don't need one

>criterion
>patrician house
Lethal Weapon isn't there so your claim is false.

>Have Thora Birch and Scarjo at their prime
>Make a shitty ass cover

sasuga Criterion

Is the movie good?

I liked the comic.

haven't read the comic but enjoyed the movie.

Then what keeps unique films from being overshadowed by endless box office trash?

Every day I have to let it sink in that Billy Ray Cyrus is featured on a Criterion Collection movie

Nothing, because that is and what has always happened? Unique/Niche/Quality films will always be made and distributed and they will always be overshadowed by whatever is popular at the time.

It's nice to have a company like criterion out there, but having a "if its not released on criterion it's not worth watching" mindset that lots of people have is stupid. Which is more what I was getting at.

This is true.

He only needs good script.

Are you literally retarded? Why are you even watching Hollywood trash, it implies you've gotten through French/Japanese new-wave, European blocks and the classics eras of cinema.

I mean, watching Hollywood is fine, if you want something to relax and unwind to, but they are not worth their weight in salt when put abasing the numerous amounts of classics out there which you, an I, have barely scratched the surface of.

This is besides the point, once you understand your taste, there is only subjective and objective. Both of which are easily identifiable.

I'm not saying a film isn't worth watching if it's not in Criterion, but it helps to have a company with a reputation garnering attention for underrated films.

Billy Ray Cyrus fucked Paul Theroux's wife in Mulholland Drive. So hes in at least one other

This is genuinely upsetting

>criterion.com/people/123276-billy-ray-cyrus

He even has an official Criterion page

Why?

>closest thing
the BFI's Sight and Sound lists desu, or
TSPDT

>implying
In terms of history and culture, one individual's opinion doesn't mean much, so such "arbiters" and the idea of a "canon" are somewhat important in the grand scheme of things

But personally, yeah you or anybody are free to dislike any of the so-called "Great" films as much as you want if that is your honest reaction

Not once but twice...The Rock is also in there

I'm more bothered by Dunham being in the collection than Bay.

>it's a kevin doesn't know what bisexuals are episode

Adam Sandler is a worse tragedy

Why is this a tragedy? It's a great film and he was good in it?

This. That's the reason why there's no Criterion blu-ray of Citizen Kane or King Kong, despite those being the first movies they released.

The rest of his body of work is just so mediocre it's hard to take the man seriously.

If Michael Bay can make it, can Zack Snyder?

But the rest of his body of work is irrelevant, what is relevant is this film, and the film is good.

What sort of retard can't accept that someone can be good in a film if they are bad in others?

The Rock and 13 Hours are pure kino

You can't be serious

What sort of retard can't see the hilarity in Adam Sandler, a notoriously terrible comedian and actor, ending up in a collection alongside Orson Welles movies?

who doesnt like armageddon

>Criterion blu ray of Ghost World.

About fucking time! I can finally upgrade my mediocre German BD release.

Because he acted well in a good movie that deserves to be in that collection.

So did they just toss Akira Kurosawa's entire filmography in? I've seen maybe two of his films. Is he truly kino?

Yes, and yes.

He's the Steven Spielberg of Japanese film. So depends on whether you like Steven Spielberg. I would say all of his films from the late 1940s to the mid-1960s are worth watching at least once, particularly Rashomon, Seven Samurai, Ikiru, Hidden Fortress, and Throne of Blood. If you like those you'll probably like most of his other films.

I just realized not a single Spielberg movie is in the Collection...weird

BvS Ultimate Edition and Man of Steel will make it in a few years when people finally get th ekino

Probably a rights issue more than anything.

Surprised more Lynch films aren't on the list

They need to be good films to get on it