Be me

>be me
>taking film class at community college
>professor asks everyone who their favorite cinematographer is
>i go first
>"christopher doyle"
>awkward silence
>"sorry user, who?"
>"christopher doyle. hong kong kino. uses soft lens filtering and vivid colors shot in drawn out segments to set a personal mood for the viewer."
>"kino?"
>i shake my head
>"he's the cinematographer for jet li's hero"
>"oh okay, yeah i liked that movie."
>literally his most pleb shit
>next person
>"dan mindel"
>professor's eyes open with excitement
>"HIS USE OF CGI IN BOTH STAR WARS AND STAR TREK WAS AMAZING. VERY BEAUTIFUL. DID YOU SEE THEM IN IMAX?"
>literally everything was mostly shot in cgi
>beautiful

that's pretty much how it went for everyone. no culture, only generic shit. and she ate it up. obviously she doesn't respect classic cinema and only watches the most entry level pleb blockbuster shit. which is fine, i get that, but it seems this class only caters to the most mundane of people.

anyone else in a similar situation? should i just drop it?

Other urls found in this thread:

metalinjection.net/video/once-humans-new-song-dark-matter-is-a-constant-barrage-of-heavines
youtube.com/watch?v=Dfza28nNZ-c
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Its always a meme class. I used to get drunk at the college pub before the class every time. We watched some decent movies I suppose, seven samurai, run lola run, a few others I didn't mind. But it was just an easy grade course with little depth

>using meme words irl

Don't call it a grave.

>taking film class at community college

You used the word 'kino' in real life?

>tfw tried to make "kino" happen with my friendgroup
>it didn't happen

>film class
>Community College
You signed up for a glorified club, user, a club for normies filling in their elective credits.

Same here

>Take film class for elective credit
>Full of pretentious people trying make it their entire career
>The class has 5 "that kid"s that have to ask a retarded question as an excuse to show everyone how much they know like "Wasn't the use of geometry in the shining kubricks way of disorienting the viewer to create a sense of unease?"
>Teacher visibly hates all five of them because they wont shut up
>End up eating lunch with him because I tutor in the same building
>We just shittalk every kid in the room for 30 minutes every other day

I just say it anyway and nobody calls me on it. One kid asked once and I just told him it was russian for "good"

Best case scenario, no one knows what you're talking about. The worst is someone knowing you're referencing Sup Forums.

I've used 'plebeian' a few times though when I'm feigning being pretentious.

>friendgroup

Yikes...

But it means Theater in German...

What are your favorite films of his?

Not film, but

>Taking blow-off "music history" class in college
>Beginning of class we get assigned a project were we bring some piece of music in and read off ten facts about the piece/artist
>10% of our grade. ez shit
>Actually kind of excited since I'm a bit of a musicfag and like discovering new genres
>Of 60 +metalinjection.net/video/once-humans-new-song-dark-matter-is-a-constant-barrage-of-heavines
>Of 60+ people, literally everyone but me, this emo kid (fairly unknown pop punk band) and some Mexican chick (brought some Mexican pop) brought something from the radio (and her shit's probably on the Spanish stations so fuck her too.)
>Fucking Led Zeppelin, Katy Perry, Pink Floyd, Kanye West, etc.
>Thought about saying fuck it and making them listen to Aborted or Cattle Decapitation, but decided on Anamanaguchi instead since my teacher was a nice guy.

i hate those assholes. there was this one kid in my class who was a high schooler. and he'd always do that and also make it a point to remind everyone how young he was

>bringing in anything but the dead milkmen or beach slang

Pleb

Isn't Kino just Internet film enthusiast term for 'great'? It doesn't sound like normies wouldn't understand it and start using it.

test

>Junior college

It's high school with ash trays

What exactly did you do in the film class? Did you make movies or just circle jerk over film

It's the new BASED

>cinematographer

that's not a real job. it's just a title like executive producer.

Just realised I know almost nothing about specific cinematographers. Didn't realise the guy who did Dr Strangelove also did Star Wars

I would go with Cristopher Doyle too, because I don't remember the names of others whose work I like, and I don't know who the other guy uou mentioned is. I haven't watched his work.
Do normies know what cinematography is though?

No it doesn't.

It means movie theater in German

no one cares

>tfw in mechanical engineering
So glad I don't have to put up with this shit

good luck finding a job

>"he's the cinematographer for jet li's hero"
Hero is a cool film and an excellent example of cinematography, because the same scene is shot several times with different colors for each character.

People actually take film classes? Lmao. Anyone else just cringe when they come across threads like this?

It'l like taking pottery or poetry classes...

>Anamanaguchi
Thanks, I forgot about that

Im doing a game design masters and its the same shit. Teachers sucking off Runescape and Sim City when they should be playing fucking Super Castlevania 4 goddamn

Nigga all film classes are full of plebs, like IMDB in real life.
Also
>women
>understanding film at all
>understanding film well enough to teach it
Lel

>not forcing them all to listen to Vaginal Penetration of an Amelus with a Musty Carrot

youtube.com/watch?v=Dfza28nNZ-c

What's wrong with you?

>What is a easy credit

>he doesn't listen to tropical goth

absolute philistine

I had to take one as a requirement. One of the worst classes I've ever been in.
They teach you nothing and the professor just uses it to boost their ego, like every college course basically.

Not quite the same, all of those games are well designed on different levels. OP's story is more like the teachers praising stuff like Last of Us or Heavy Rain.

>constant mid-tempo 16th note bass drums over palm muted down picking

Could you be any more pleb?

Um.. sexist much?

>female professor

>>>Take film class for elective credit

What does this mean?

This.

I've taken a seminar on "Masculinity in Contemporary Farce" for that very reason. Just sleep through the sessions and then write exactly the sort of vacuous shit the ideologue in front of the class wants to hear.

You need to get a certain amount of credits per semester in order to continue, and depending on the course you may or may not have the ability to choose the elective class in order to get the required credits.

Therefore if I was autistic enough to go on Sup Forums, I think it'd be a good idea to do a course based around film

>At a party
>Getting my Jack Daniel's out of the fridge
>Overhear some plebs talking about Inception
>They're all saying the don't understand it
>One of them calls over to me: ''Hey user, you understood Inception, right?''
>I laugh and say ''Of course I fucking do.''
>I go over and sit with them
>I begin to go over the themes and symbolism in the film
>I explain the issues that the film tackles
>I tell them all of this in a way that's easy for them to understand
>The whole party has stopped talking and is listening to me
>Every girl there wants my D
>I notice it's getting late and I have Japanese lessons in the morning
>As I'm walking out I stop in the doorway
>I turn to face everyone
>My fedora is tilted so it's over my eyes
>I utter ''you all need to go deeper'' in a hushed tone
>As I turn to leave my long coat swishes up in the air
>Everyone there is in awe of me as I walk out

I miss this greentext

Runescape is an interesting choice that I wouldn't think about but I guess it could be considered a well designed game. What did they have to say about it?

What's wrong with Pink Floyd?

"Mainstream pleb shit" - Sup Forums

>be me
kys

I took 2-3 film classes but never completed them. They seemed like stupid bullshit at the time. The subject matter was great but the profs were idiots and my classmates were not much better

If you think that's bad, try taking a philosophy class.

>be me

Fucking underage redditor bullshit, who else would you be you fucking cunt?

>she
lmao females can't be professors

Philosophy had some real boneheads. I had a 50+year-old woman argue with me in class that the Catholic Church commissioned and wrote the King James Bible to control people. I tried to explain that the Catholic Church commissioned the Douay-Rheims etc. This is memorable for me because of how vociferously she argued that particular point. Non-intervening professors that let people persist in error are a blight

>community college
>"film class"
You are the stupid one for wasting your time.
A craft has to be mastered by oneself not thought by some self proclaimed teacher.

>arguing with a woman

Well, it was entirely your mistake.

>>"kino?"
>>i shake my head

Normies liking generic shit is one thing, but you just revealed 'kino' to the general public? What are you, retarded?

Have you ever heard of hiding your power level?

Lol indeed

I've managed to make KinohaĆ¼s or Kinotorium happen
I can say "Lads shall we go the local KinohaĆ¼s?" and someone will suggest a flick

Easy credit is NEVER easy.
It always contains so much bs that impacts negatively on your own mental health.

t.someone who actually finished uni a year ago.

it only affects the weak willed

I even made it a thing with a girl i dont even see that often
Works pretty good actually if you have friends that really listen to you

Hey if you can float through the class on a pile of stupidity,basic bitches and general ignorance about their own field more power to you.
I have nothing more to say on the subject.

>the guest professor comes to town
>so famous that comedy shows made sketches about him 20 years ago
>every place suddenly starts to smell like weed
>spends his lectures talking about how girls didn't like him in high school, how all wars happen because men want pussy and how once upon a time in the west is the best movie ever made

Good times.

>weed user
>talks crap
Sounds about right.

>Tfw kino literally means cinema in my language
>Can use kino to describe good movies

GET FUCKED LOL

>using the word kino IRL

I hope you've already tied the noose.

I understand the reason for using kino more than the word based. Mever understood how based could mean what it does.

Yeah, but your language is the language of jewkillers, so maybe you should shut up and repent.

not fair

College really is an absurd waste of time

Is this movie a meme or actually worth watching?

It the only movie made from the guy.
He had many problems through life and was in the shadow of his father.
He managed to get his life sorted out and film one movie.
It is pretty good and everyone here is on board that it will be cult classic in years to come.

You do realize that in the USA most teachers don't actually teach something they personally know well. They follow a curriculum which lays out the materials needed to teach the students. Some of them literally have "discussion time" where a few points of discussion are listed that the teacher needs to discuss and includes things the teacher must lead discussion away from.

This is how a lot of times, the smart kid in the class will know a shit load more than the teacher does. It is also why some odd random things are rewarded for while others are shot down.

It is not only for teaching content, it is for altering behavior in the students.

die

Is there any good way to self learn the kinda stuff you talk about in film classes? I'd like to find out more about the theory of this stuff. I know the very basics but thats about it.

Funny you should mention this. Just last night I had a stress dream about being back in highschool and I had forgotten my class schedule, so I didn't know which class to go to, and I had forgotten to do my homework. The class was made up of a weird amalgamation of fellow students I had known over the course of different stages of my life.

Me and my m8s use it irl lel

youre retarded, professors at the college level have to have a phd in said subject. They also have to continue doing research for their subject as well as teaching it

ok I will check it
It looks good

>Is there any good way to self learn the kinda stuff you talk about in film classes?
You watch a lot of fucking movies and will eventually pick up on techniques and differentiate between good and bad movies.

Nah, what else am I gonna do? Fucking *work*? I'll try to stay in this bubble for as long as I can.

Please do.
The soundtrack is also amazing.

>JD out of the fridge

What's wrong with you, you fucking nonce

True for some things, but a lot of professors in stem actually know their shit, have published tons of crap to get tenure, and are generally brutally honest and knowledgable about the industry or what they are teaching.

>not even Once Upon a Time in America
Holy shit.

I use it but in Poland it's normal. Kino is also our word for cinema as a building

This is so fucking true. Every weed user ive known has been a stuck up, neurotic, shit talking that thinks his or her opinions and criticisms are worth something to the world.

Well Once Upon a Time in the West is objectively way better.

>repenting the one good thing that your country did in the last 100 years

>objectively better

Actually not a thing when it comes to films. "Better" is entirely subjective depending on your point of view.

t. bleb

stop trying to make kino happen. it's not going to happen.

It's all pretty simple just keep an eye on the following
>lighting
>shot angle
>framing
>colours
It all adds together to passively describe what's on screen. Just shot by shot a few movie scenes to understand what's going on and what you feel is conveyed. Or even if you still feel stumped just watch a few analysis' of movies on YouTube until you know what to look for.

Personally I feel a brilliantly made movie won't need to rely on dialogue to progress the story and establish scenarios and characters.

>go to Texas Womens University because it's super close to home
>film class for general elective
>go around the class first day and say favorite movie
>get to me
>master and commander: the far side of the world

The position is mostly hyped up by ignorant morons. There is very little creativity in the work as most of the time you just take very detailed directions from the director who already has a clear goal in mind.