Did anyone else think John Wick 2 was a lot like The Raid 2? Critically acclaimed surprise hit action movie...

Did anyone else think John Wick 2 was a lot like The Raid 2? Critically acclaimed surprise hit action movie, gets a sequel, tries to expand the world too much, the script is a bit too pretentious/complicated, but the fights are still pretty d*rn cool

Also his bulletproof jacket was OP as fuck, he takes like twenty shots to the core in the movie

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=g25CL93f0f8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

everyone says it was john wick that brought people out of the shaky cam phase. It was definitely the raid series.

The bulletproof jacket was for making Wick suffer without killing him. Also, there is a reason he heashots everyone

Ironic considering JW2 wasn't far off shakycam

i enjoyed this one more than the first

but yeah at this point it's literally just a comic book taken movie form

It was like The Raid 2 in that it was far better than the first and only contrarians disagree.

I just hope they don't do shit like a prequel with young Wick or how the Continental started.
Make a third and move on.

>the script is a bit too pretentious/complicated
If you couldn't follow the movie you might just be stupid

Hopefully they end it with three.

JW1 already stablished some world building
Raid 2 doesn't expand on Raid 1's characters (except Rama) or world

At the end of Raid 2 Rama, being surrounded by bad guys, gives up fighting. John Wick would never allow himself to get killed.

Also this.
I think that IF there's a prequel, will be after the 3rd movie gets released. Would be shit desu.
young Keanu Reeves played by Keanu Reeves

JW2 built off interesting stuff, Raid 2 was just 100 added minutes of rote crime family drama

(You)

I followed it fine. It was just more complex than necessary for an action film. And Wick's motivations didn't really make any sense, unlike the first

>Raid 2 doesn't expand on Raid 1's characters (except Rama) or world
U wat?

His motivation was that he had no choice, then he wanted revenge on the dude who was both trying to kill him and the one who stopped his retirement. Simple stuff.

Trash with a typical nonsensical plot, lol ecks dee btw 50% of newyork has hidden assassins

What's the reason

No idea, I was just bluffing and hoping no one would call me out. Yet here you are.

In the end my hubris did me.

>not picking up the social commentary that New York is filled with terrible people

Not at all.

John Wick 2 is an expansion of the universe established by the first film. Hitman underworld, specific currency, etc.

The Raid 2 is a family crime drama that just happens to include the MC from The Raid. It spends way too much time on unnecessary plot developments.

Rate all 4 movies in question, I'm curious about your opinion

>d*rn

what did he mean by this?

The Raid > John Wick 2 > John Wick > The Raid 2

Wow. I agree wholeheartedly,
But that being said I don't think The Raid 2 is a 'bad' movie

I thought you were implying he shoots everyone in the head because everyone else has the bulletproof vest just like he does.

Neither do I. It's a fine action movie and a decent crime drama.

But as a sequel to an intense, claustrophobic action extravaganza, it fails on a narrative level.

body armor

Honestly, how else are you supposed to make a sequel to that kind of movie without it feeling like a rehash?
An action movie sequel should be bigger in scope and the Raid 2 did just that.
And if you wanted claustrophobic, indoors fighting, the last half hour is just that. Three amazing fight scenes one after the other, all inside a building.

He just made some dumb decisions. Like ignoring the market guy the first time. And then shooting him in the Continental

>But as a sequel to an intense, claustrophobic action extravaganza, it fails on a narrative level.
Couldn't agree more

does anyone have a picture of ruby rose's ass from the movie
where she pulls her knife

best moment in the movie desu

The way John Wick 2 did. Doubling down on the choreographed action, loose plot, and suspension of disbelief.

The Raid 2 was bigger in scope, sure, but it spent way too much time on crime family drama that had nothing to do with our protagonist. It was like a foreign Scorcese movie that felt obliged to shoehorn in choreographed fight scenes.

That said, those scenes were fucking awesome.

He didn't want to accept the marker, got his house burned down, so he went and completed the marker. it would have been find if marker guy didn't end up betraying him and trying to kill him, that's what the other 3/4 of the movie was about

honestly, i think john shot him in the continental because he was just tired of it, he really didn't have anything left, his wife died and his house is gone

when he went back to his burnt down house, and he sat in his chair, i think he was expecting to die there but ended up being surprise because Winston gave him an hr

He shot him because if he didn't, he could just keep sending people to kill him and it just wouldn't end

i can't wait for the third one, they'll probably send him to hong kong for the chinese triads and japan for the yakuza

what i'm really curious about is was the marker that winston gave him empty/blank or did it have somebody blood mark on it already and if yes who?

i really want the direction of john wick to go towards him killing the leaders of the high table and taking it over for himself, that would be absolutely incredible

Question;

Was the contract doubled because he killed the guy in the Continental or because he had killed his sister?

good point as well but then now he has high table AND continental after him which i would say is much worst then just marker guy so my point of him accepting his death/fate still stands

>what i'm really curious about is was the marker that winston gave him empty/blank or did it have somebody blood mark on it already and if yes who?
Nigga follow accordingly.

He did him a favor by delaying the hit for an hour. That was his blood on the marker, now John owes him.

i would say both because at that point, john wick had literally killed two members from high table albeit from the same family AND for killing on company grounds

webms when?

that wouldn't make sense because the person who OWES the favor is suppose to have the blood marker on it FIRST and when the task is complete, the person who holds the favor/marker puts it on AFTER to show that the bargain is complete, blood marker guy puts his blood on AFTER john kills his sister

Raid 2 should have just been called like Undercover or something. Just its own project unrelated in any way. Then I think people would like it a lot more, cause it is in itself a solid martial arts crime movie.

I'd tend to disagree. John Wick 2 definitely made the first film seem less important as most all sequels do, but it basically held to the same standards and brought in some new and fresh ideas. The film once again is just 2 hours of Reeves killing people.

Wrong.

It had the same amount of world building as the first, meanwhile The Raid 2 had like double the talky scenes as the first (although somehow also had double the action so I'll forgive it).

Also the suit is a real thing.

youtube.com/watch?v=g25CL93f0f8

>a criminal organization cant arrange a falsh mob

I'm sorry?

And look at that. He made you answer you own stupid question, fucko.

>just 2 hours of Reeves killing people.

Yeah, that's the point. Why did you watch the sequel if you have a problem with revenge movies?

i never asked a question you retard don't assume im a different user

It kind of was - Raid 2's original name was Berandal, and it was written before The Raid.

They just shelved it because they couldn't afford to make it, and made The Raid as a low budget alternative instead. The money that made let them make it, and it got re-titled to Raid 2 for name recognition and some of the character details rewritten to make them fit together.

>when he went back to his burnt down house, and he sat in his chair, i think he was expecting to die there
Yeah, I got that sense too

The problem with Raid 2 is that they pulled the expanded universe out of thin air and John Wick 2 expanded on what's already be established in the first one

And the bulletproof suit isn't op since other people also have it

exactly like when john and cassian both pulled at the same time and realize they both had vest lol

Raid 2 > John Wick 2 = Raid > John Wick
I think both movies improved on their predecessors

it's cute how they edited it to look like that guy shot the host at first

>Ruby Rose's character is mute
>she carries a silenced pistol
Did George Lucas contribute to this film? Way too poetic

>that scene where John gets captured by Ares after trying to steal Pizza

He's excommunicado so no services.
So why would Winston give him a marker?
Is it implied that HE used the marker for John to owe him, maybe he's responsible for "why he's not dead"

I thought the 'Assassin underworld' in John Wick was the shittiest part of the movie, are you telling me thats what the sequel is all about? fuck

Ares is alive right? ;_;

Sorry about your broken brain man

shit acting and shit flimsy story, John Wick was good because of the gun fights only

Sad thing is that there's no way they top this in JW3.

They either rely on past references too much, or just do same shit again.

>Grapple one guy
>Headshot 2 guys
>Headshot grappled guy

Happened too often imo

The Raid 2 was bloated as fuck. 150 fucking minutes?! Is the Raid 3 gonna be 3 hours long?

The beauty of The Raid 1 was its simplicity.

JW2 was absolute trash lol

The Raid 1 is literally perfect.

But seriously I would like to put forth the argument that the Raid 1 is better than both John Wick films.

>The Raid 1 is literally perfect.

I'd say the first 75% was close to perfect. The last 2 fights were pants on head retarded and way too long.

How else could John Wick get his bounty off him without killing Santiago in the Continental?

I assume so. Or he's not dead because Winston is Wick's friend.

The big, big, big issue with the raid 2 is the lack of gunfights.
The 1st one has this good balance.
The car chase has the same issue with the other car chases : Looks fack AF.

>The beauty of The Raid 1 was its simplicity.

This. The second one tried to hard with the plot which was in the end really, really, really bad.

Which car chase scene? The one after the cocky Jap kills his Dad or the one where the police is after Rama? Because the latter one was incredibly well filmed.

Excommunicado from the hotels aka no safe haven
He can still can get services from other assassin bosses and the such

nah

most people you know wouldnt know about the raid at all

was smart fighting though

incapacitate one guy, use him as a shield, rinse and repeat

I thought the marker was empty. It made more sense to me. He is giving himthe means to do something for someone important and in exchange get his lofe back.

so that if john needs some major help winston is "obliged" to give it to him

thus a loophole where john can use the resources of the continental to fight the bounty on his head

RAMA VERSUS JOHN

Unless he could somehow lure him out, he had no choice and Santiago is smart enough to never leave

I'm actually pretty exicted for the sequal, which hasn't happened to me in a long time, because now the stakes are so high and he's never safe
The only course of action is somehow to either attack the High Table or negotiate with someone on the High Table to lift the contract

If they'll go with the James Bond route with him going around the world and fight off the threat, it'd be amazing since he has to leave NYC and he's already been to Rome
Maybe Hong Kong, Tokyo and Prague
I'm curious about Switzerland, because maybe their neutrality comes in play with the Assassin underworld

EPIC GUN FIGHT BRAH

Lots of people found this scene funny for some reason.

Probably because that's exactly what the director was going for.

Good for him.

>At the end of Raid 2 Rama, being surrounded by bad guys, gives up fighting.

Are you talking about the Japanese guys? He had no problem with them. They went there to fight the same guys Rama did, but he already did it for them. They had no reason to fight.

Everyone in the screening I went into laughed, I thought it was a great scene.

wtf is that?

John Wick 2

>At the end of Raid 2 Rama, being surrounded by bad guys, gives up fighting.
>I did not watch the movie
He meets a bunch of dudes who were there to kill the people he just killed, tells them he did their job then goes home.

>The only course of action is somehow to either attack the High Table

Oh shit it was so obvious but I didn't think of that.
HYPED AS FUCK

>has completely bulletproof jacket
>doesn't button it leaving all his organs and vitals exposed
>even AFTER getting shot in the stomach
Was that Diane Kruger? Looked a lot like her.

if he buttoned it up he wouldn't be able to use it as a shield

>2 hours of keanu killing people
I wish dude. That's what I paid money for. It was a good hour before he even pulled out a gun dude. (Save for the kneecapping)

as someone who really enjoyed Raid 2 for the exact reasons others seem to hate it for, especially the length and story. Do you think i would prefer John Wick 1 or 2.

I think you would prefer having my dick up your ass, faggot.

Raid 2 was more memorable than Raid 1

fight me

>tries to expand the world too much, the script is a bit too pretentious/complicated,
i'm glad i'm not the only one who realized(and hated) that

>plebs who think the raid 2 is too complex
>literally just being a cop inside mafia
>OH MY GOD ITS TOO HARD TO FOLLOW!

if you're going to try to shit on the raid series and even remotely fucking try to compare the dog shit pretentious hipster bullshit that is john wick to the fucking god tier action series as the raid, you better come up with some legit fucking complaints