What's the point of watching regular season games in American sports?

What's the point of watching regular season games in American sports?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pankration
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vale_tudo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>regular season
what does this mean?

Is this a real question? Do all non-North Americans completely lack common sense?

mixed martial arts (the only good american sport) has no season it's year round and every fight can be a fighter's last

even women fighting is OK to watch that's how damn good MMA is

Isn't MMA a Brazilian invention?

He raises a valid point. If your sport's champion is decided in a one-off championship game then regular season games are meaningless.
On the other hand, a sport that determines its champion based on W-L record has a regular season that actually matters.

it means playing for a playoff spot
plenty of our leagues have regular seasons and playoffs too, basketball for example

And in football besides the top 2 divisions

No, he doesn't raise a valid point. Do you just stop watching and going to games once your team is out of contention?

common sense would be to have every team play every other team, give a trophy to the team with the most points and be done with it.
playoffs sell more tv ad time though. playoffs in baseballe didn't start until 1969, when tv audiences were starting to explode. playoffs in football didn't start until 1967. basketball wasn't that popular yet for anyone to really care.

yes

nope, the games don't become meaningless until you've been eliminated from playoff contention. teams in every american league have missed the playoffs because of ONE loss in the regular season.

You are a disgusting fairweather casual then.

It's impossible to watch all of NBA's 82 games or whatever, and don't even get me started on baseball. They play like 250 games a year.
American leagues play way too much to follow your team every day

I don't support any team and mostly watch the playoffs, in regular season games the losing team just throws the game and bench the starting players when 2 minutes left, like they don't give a shit if they lose

That's what I'm talking about, what's the purpose of having such long regular seasons, a particular game loses relevance there

>plenty of our leagues
none of the top5 sports though, so don't expect me to know about it.

>taking amateur football into account
again, don't expect me to be familiar with it.

well if you're going to be a turbocasual don't blame it on me

most teams don't qualify for playoffs

>turbocasual
>because I don't watch american sports or anything amateur
are you always this much of a cunt or is it just today?

I admit it does become overwhelming if your city has teams in all four major leagues, or even just three of them, but you watch and follow the team for the love of the game. I can watch two teams completely out of contention because of that.

>3rd division
>amateur
top 4 divisions are professional

we have playoffs because teams are divided by zones, the only federal leagues are primera A and primera B

Playoffs as the argie references have been around since 1903, since the world series is and always had been a playoff game.

That is a quality of your leagues then. That doesn't really happen much here, although in the NBA star players will often take many days off once it will become difficult for them to NOT to make the playoffs.

Personally its still fun to watch your team the regular season since games still matter for playoff spots. Its also enjoyable to watch the games.

there's way too much hockey and NBA. baseball is supposed to be pretty casual, though.

Baseball feels so fucking irrelevant yet the World Series is so entertaining

>Brazilian

wat

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pankration

>top 4 divisions are professional
[citation needed]

That gay ass sport didn't have jiu jitsu, the main discipline of MMA. The Gracies invented it

If you count ancient sports that are a bit similar to modern sports then football was invented by the Chinese

i don't think of the world series as a playoff series, it's a championship series between two different leagues. it's the postseason, not the playoffs.

soccer does have something like playoffs though, if you count cup competitions and international club tournaments like the champions league and copa libertadores

How in the world is this a stupid question? Its easily the worst aspect of American sports. Play all fucking year then "lol let half the teams in and its a do-over" for nothing more than entertainment at the expense of following a formula to ensure the best team wins
Basketball is easily the most pointless regular season, but the playoffs cheapen baseballs the most. Playing every day for six months and it can be wiped out in half a week in a sport where an individual game is highly dependent on luck.

those cups are straight playoffs, mixing league with playoff is what we are arguing

what's the point of having some teams face each other 4 times in the same regular season? and then have 7 games series in the playoffs? too many games means there are lot of pointless games too

The World Series as it was then is wholly different from the three round abomination they have now with an opening best of five round, which is a total joke in determining who the better team is in baseball.

>mixing league and playoffs

what about the championship in england? 2 rounds of playoffs for the last promotion spot to the premier league do you have a problem with that? i'm sure other leagues do that as well.

Yeah, as I said here We also have that, but never on the first division. You don't win the title by that system, that's only used for promotions, not the same

>2 rounds of playoffs for the last promotion spot to the premier league
yes, that's for the promotion, it has nothing to do with the outcome of the league, and in no way the winners of those playoffs are champions of anything.

>win 162 games out of 165
>not even a top 5 finish
nice league you have there

ok then. i actually agree, i think playoffs are stoopid

regular season are made to prepare for the playoffs, if you had the playoffs right away it would be shit. if you didnt have playoffs you wouldnt need to beat the best to be the best. in football the highest level of play comes in champions league quarter and semis with teams that have been playing together all season long, new stars that have emerged, tactical, mental and physical peak, only the best teams are left and it all comes down to a limited number of games that are must wins.

Doesn't it determine the seeding though?

It does but the top seed doesn't always win the championship anyway, which is why the regular season or playoffs suck depending on how you see it.

>Vale tudo (English: anything goes) is an unarmed, full-contact combat sport with relatively few rules. It became popular in Brazil during the 20th century.[1] It uses techniques from many martial arts. Vale tudo is the precursor of mixed martial arts.[2]

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vale_tudo

One of the founders of the UFC was Brazilian too.

The team that wins the first half doesn't always win the game either.
Being a top seed should increase the winning percentage greatly

>Maccaos fighting eachother to not go in the sopa counts as a sport

What I know is that people were putting martial arts to real test here while people in the first world believed in those kung fu bullshit then in UFC 1 royce gracie showed to gringos what really works.

NFL regular season matters because its only 16 games. NBA and MLB are way too fucking long.

i guess you watch them if you like to watch the sport