/mlb/ general - THROWBACK edition

MIA: Cardinals, Marlins talked Stanton trade Wed.
COL: O's showing interest in SP Tyler Chatwood
TOR: Report: Rays have interest in Jose Bautista
TB: Rays, Cards have talked Alex Colome trade
MIA: 'Little momentum' for Stanton-to-LAD trade
COL: Astros among teams in on Jonathan Lucroy
INT: Report: Mets considering pursuit of Otani
ARZ: Report: J.D. Martinez asking 7 years, $210M
MIN: Molitor takes home AL Manager of the Year
ARZ: Torey Lovullo wins NL Manager of the Year
KC: Blue Jays, Mets in touch about Lorenzo Cain
MIA: Stanton 'completely' open to possible suitors

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8s_Bvy1Q1jw&t=243s
chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/ct-spt-cubs-jake-arrieta-free-agent-20171115-story.html
youtube.com/watch?v=v__xypPFQLo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Royals

Throwbacks you say

3rd for Bryce Harper to the Cubs.

Fourth for fatman dinger

2015: Dodgers make the playoffs
2016: Dodgers make the NLCS
2017: Dodgers make the WS
2018: ?????

>TOR: Report: Rays have interest in Jose Bautista

wut

OHTANI TO THE TWINS

judge is winning the MVP. screencap this

Please watch the ABL

OFFICIAL CY YOUNG AWARD POWER RANKINGS

1. Kluber
2. Kershaw
POWER GAP
3.Sale
4.Scherzer
HUGE POWER GAP
5. Strasburg
>JUST
9001.Severino

Why doesn't anyone talk about how well Kershaw pitched in game 7 of the WS, not allowing a run and only 1 hit in 4 IP.

link?

The Mets are the best team in baseball fuck the haters

that nigger better take a pay cut. no fuckin way the cubs should spend 500 mil on that choke artist

Reminder Avi's BA was second only to world series MVP Jose Altuve's in the AL

Right now the Mets look like a top-heavy team that is just hoping they have fewer injuries than last year. Good luck with that.

Springer was MVP.

Why do you spew this out every time the Mets are mentioned? Do you live in this general 24/7?

>BA
Here's your (You)

stanton to the cardinals looks more and more likely by the day
tick tock lifelongs

2016: Yankees shit the bed
2017: Yankees take the Astros to Game 7 of the ALCS
2018: Literally who can stop us?

2016: Astros shit the bed
2017: Astros win the World Series
2018: uhhhhhhhhhhhh

"The Mets look good this year," said the Mets fan unironically for the 32nd year in a row.

So following your pattern Yankees should definitely win in 2018. Cool.

Dodgers fan here

I still hear trains in my sleep

Is the justice system going to headhunt all woke players or is the sudden gagging of Bruce Maxwell's voice just a series of "coincidences"?

How the fuck are 2 walgreens pitchers up for cy young

I don't know if you've realized but the Astros are the Golden State Warriors of the MLB now. Yankees won't be seeing another World Series until 2020.

>Astros
>not Cubs or Dodgers

2015: Dodgers lose the NLDS
2016: Dodgers lose the NLCS
2017: Dodgers lose the WS
2018: ?????

youtube.com/watch?v=8s_Bvy1Q1jw&t=243s

Did anyone catch this at the time? 43:13. Pedro clearly goes inside his shirt and rubs something on the ball

I have a theory for why MLB players aren't kneeling:

Baseball is fundamentally a sport where you have to learn to accept your own failure. If you fail 2/3 times in baseball you're in the hall of fame. Because of this players are less predisposed to placing the blame of their own failings on the shoulders of other people, or society in general. If you screw up in baseball, you screwed up. There's no whining or forcing the system at large to change the rules to make it easier for you to succeed next time. You fail. You brush yourself off. You come back and try again. No excuses.
Juxtapose this with football where, because of a shorter season there are fewer opportunities for failure, so when players do screw up you often see them bitch about it. The fundamental game between pitcher and batter has remained unchanged in over 100 years. This is not the case with football, where rule changes and constant coddling by the powers at large are a mainstay of the sport. This is a perfect metaphor for how both football players and baseball players approach society.
The baseball player learns to accept a failure as his own, and must confront multiple failures in almost every game. This extends to his worldview where he does not blame society or the "system" for his woes, but himself and realizes that the responsibility rests entirely on his shoulders to better his own life. So he has no reason to protest because he knows if he gets arrested or shot by the police, he was probably doing something wrong.
The football player is used to being catered to. His shortcomings are not his own fault that he must confront, but something that is constantly in flux. The system can, through constant whining, be changed to suit his needs and level the playing field for him. If something is wrong in his life it his not his fault. If he is arrested it is because the system didn't cater enough to his own comfort. Thus, he kneels.

Either that or there's less niggers in baseball lol

CAIN?

kek. how did anyone watching at home not see it? its pretty blatant.

Piss hippo won the Cy Young

100% correct. Only two types of people in baseball. Those who are humble, and those who are about to be.

Sorry for raining on your parade, rabbi.

KEKSHAW BTFO

> all these predictable awards are finally done with

Now for the shitposting fun tomorrow evening. Haven't been this excited since the Miggy/Trout chads vs nerds war.

>Chris Sale only had 2 first place votes
>b-b-but muh 300 strikeouts, he's guaranteed CYA!!!
Red Sux fans completely, utterly, and irreversibly BTFO

Kluber chokes in the postseason.

>regular season personal awards are better than winning a ring
Are lifelong Indians fans since Bron's tweet the new Dudders?

None of the finalists have a ring though, so why is that even relevant?

SALE KEKED AGAIN

HOW DOES IT KEEP HAPPENING?

>The shitty of BAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWSTON

lel

>Here you see the wild Condor, still searching for his first meaningful accolade

Michael Kay announced on his show today that a trusted, unnamed source texted him saying that Aaron Judge won the MVP

Stanton is gonna win because dingers isn't he

would this be the cucking of the century?

Reminder kluber is a choker

I find it hard to believe. Judge's slump and the strikeout record is just too ugly for the old school traditional voters. They probably reacted to his September as "too little, too late".

Kek Kluber sat in front of a green screen of an Indians batting practice

What kind of weaponized autism is he using on the mound?

I think you're overrating the amount of "old school" voters that are still around. Even the guys who have been around for awhile have embraced the advanced stats

>arm falls apart post august every year
>baaaaawston thought it would be different this time
lol nope

True but it helps that Altuve isn't far behind in terms of analytics anyways, and Judge only moved ahead in the late parts of September.

Altuve is just the safe choice.

I remember one Bawwwwwwwwwwwwston fag on here telling me that Sale wasn't going to fall apart the second half because he was on a good team now.

It's a little further than you think. Judge is pretty clearly the better offensive player going off the stats, and he was a solid defender too. The advantage that Altuve would have is that he plays a premium position.

No doubt Judge's video game September destroying the orange ducks and jays really brought him back while Altuve had an average 130 wrC+ month.

it basically depends on how much thry hold it against Judge for his historically bad slump while Altuve is one of the more respected players in the game. They might also give it to Altuve cause he's more established and since Judge will already win RoY.

Altuve just seems to have the narrative edge, and kept the MVP lead in the most important stretches of the year (august going into september). Judge came on too late I feel.

lmao

>Judge didn't win the world series
>Altuve did
>Judge struck out a record 27 times
>Altuve didn't

>MVP """""""""""race"""""""""""

Strikeouts aren't that bad, though. He's got good plate discipline since he walked over 120 times. He's just swinging hard every time, and what with how much the balls are flying out of the yard now it's working.

> Joel Sherman said he would have Judge 3rd behind Altuve and Ramirez

See, I wouldn't be surprised if a couple of voters had it like that. Judge is gonna get a surprising amount of 3rd place votes due to the Indians record run. Altuve is gonna be a top 2 lock on virtually all ballots.

Starts tonight with Canberra vs Brisbane, they stream it live.

Sad but true

>Mmm-hmm :D
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWINDIANS!!!!!! KISS THE RING

reminder that Jose Fernandez is still dead

Today they handed out the first and only meaningful awards for the season.

There will never be a "Golden State Warriors" of baseball. The sport isn't built to support it.

My Cy Young was stolen recently.
I was pretty bummed about it.
But I think whoever stole it is more happy than I am sad about it being stolen.
The total entries in the world has increased.
So whatever.

KERSHAW WINS

what are some defining images of Clayton Kershaw's career? I only wanna see the best lads

chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/ct-spt-cubs-jake-arrieta-free-agent-20171115-story.html

I'm even surprised that this is a thing considering how pissed Arrieta was about the Cubs qualifying offer. Unless Arrieta realizes that he'll never be able to enjoy the same level of star power that he enjoyed with the Cubs and would rather stay on a perennial playoff contender team with the chance to earn more rings than jump ship to a mediocre team for a wad of cash like Fowler did.

Plus, Arrieta is the only reason every State Farm building hasn't been burned to the ground in Chicago.

Hardmode: No postseason

>cubs are perennial contenders while cards are mediocre

so this is the power of lifelongdom

It's always better to leave as many options open as possible, even if you're only trying to get another bidder involved to drive the price higher. Arrieta is 32 though, so it's probably a better idea for him to put sentiment aside when he ultimately makes his decision. This is likely his last chance at a really big contract.

>Losing to the AAA Cubs in a playoff elimination game
>Not mediocre
Oh you leafs...

> Jon Morosi @Mariners acquire Ryon Healy from @Athletics

WE CHAMPS NOW

Ryon Healy traded to SEA for Emilio Pagan and a minor leaguer.

>Joel Sherman
Literally the biggest joke of any baseball writer.

Matsui hit a 2 run HR three pitches later. He doctored the wrong ball

>ryon Healy
Wasn't he seen as their future?

What the fuck are the Memeiners doing? Pretty sure they don't need anymore offensive firepower, you'd think they'd be going after pitching at this point

No. Healy rarely walks and so far he's been a poor third baseman defensively. Oakland has both Matt Chapman, who is probably the best defensive 3B in the game, and Matt Olson at the infield corners. Trading Healy lets them move Khris Davis back to DH.
Sometimes you have to double down on your strengths. SEA doesn't have a ton of payroll room and Healy will probably be as good or better of a hitter than Danny Valencia and he makes the minimum.

Can someone explain why the Infield Fly is not applied when there is only a runner on first? You can still easily force a double play by dropping the ball.

Sup Forumsstros!

>tulo vs. too fast.gif

In honor of Max's back to back Cy Young, let's re-watch his last performance of the year.
youtube.com/watch?v=v__xypPFQLo

To be fair, that dropped 3rd strike call was totally blown.

To be fair, your mom is the one that blew it since we know how much she loves to blow

Between this and the juiced balls, there is zero integrity left in this sport.

>108 years of humiliation vs the most rings in the ninny league

sigh

>a literal splitting of hairs
>27/30
kek these guys have to know how absurdly biased they are. they could at least collude to make it not such a slap in the face in obviousness

We pro wrestling now. Max Scherzer is the golden boy. Vince McManfred's bouncey ball era has irreparably ruined the sport.

>25 IP

that's a fatass hair

>2 more wins in 3 less games worth of pitching
And yeah I know wins is a meme but it's literally the only thing they used to justify robbing Greinke just a few years ago

>Blown call
Except it wasn't because Wieters’ was way out of position and lurching forward when he was catching, and he got exposed when he got tagged for catcher's interference in the very next at bat. Also, the Ump had leeway in how it was called because within that rule there is
>in the umpire’s judgment

This isn't like blowing a call like the phantom foul tip of Game 4 of the NLCS.