Official Motor/sp/ort General thread: And then there was one edition

This week: NASCAR cup, truck, and Xfinity series final race at Homestead. WEC final race at Bahrain. WRC final race in Australia. FIA GT world cup race in Macau

Links for additional events not listed: motorsport.com/all/schedule/

Links for WRC and WEC details:
WEC 6 hours of Bahrain: fiawec.com/en/race/show/4526
Rally: rallyaustralia.com.au/
Complete rally schedule: rally-maps.com/Rally-Australia-2017

Weekend schedule:
FRIDAY, NOV. 17
>8:30-9:25 a.m.: Truck Series practice, FS1
>10-10:55 a.m.: Truck Series final practice, FS1
>12:30-1:55 p.m.: Cup Series practice, NBCSN
>2:30-3:25 p.m.: XFINITY Series practice, NBCSN
>3:30 p.m.: Truck Series Keystone Light Pole Qualifying, FS1
>5-5:55 p.m.: XFINITY Series final practice, NBCSN
>6:15 p.m.: Cup Series Coors Light Pole Qualifying, NBCSN
>8 p.m.: Truck Series Ford EcoBoost 200 (134 laps, 201 miles), FS1

SATURDAY, NOV. 18
>7:00 a.m.: WEC 6 hours of Bahrain
>10-10:55 a.m.: Cup Series practice, CNBC
>11:15 a.m.: XFINITY Series Coors Light Pole Qualifying, CNBC
>12:25 p.m. (local Macau): FIA GT qualification race
>1-1:50 p.m.: Cup Series final practice, NBCSN
>3:30 p.m.: XFINITY Series Ford EcoBoost 300 (200 laps, 300 miles), NBCSN

SUNDAY, NOV. 19
>12:10 p.m. (local Macau): FIA GT World cup race
>2:30 p.m.: Cup Series Ford EcoBoost 400 (267 laps, 400.5 miles), NBC

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3oiSJwpJF7s
youtube.com/watch?v=QuUa_ADZJms
carlin.co.uk/news/fia-formula-2/carlin-join-fia-formula-2-championship/
racer.com/indycar/item/145757-foyt-team-confirms-leist-to-partner-kanaan
youtube.com/watch?v=Nw_hiRcfbkY
nascar.com/video/franchise/press-pass/replay-monster-energy-series-championship-4-media-day/
youtube.com/c/AndrewNik/live
usatoday.com/story/sports/nascar/2017/11/17/danica-patrick-may-headed-nbc-2018-but-driving-career-might-not-over/874321001/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Junior's last race
>Kenseth's last race
>Kurt's last race
>Danica's last race
>Cassil's last race
>Last race for the #5
>Last race for Target as a sponsor
>Probably Monster's last race

>>Probably Monster's last race
Why do you say that?

>Kurts last race

Say it aint so. It breaks my heart

the Monster Energy deal was for just a year
At least he has Monster in his back, they said they would like all of their athletes to be like kurt

>the Monster Energy deal was for just a year
is this true?
NASCAR has no title sponsor for 2018?

>is this true?
No

>Corona, California-based Monster (NASDAQ: MNST) signed with NASCAR in December to be title sponsor of the series in 2017 and 2018 in a deal worth around $20 million annually. The term was for two years with a two-year option to renew for the 2019 and 2020 seasons.

The deadline for renewing was supposed to be this December but Monster wanted to delay it.

Officially everything is fine and monster will continue, unoficially they had this year to convince them to continue

Monster hopefully threatened to leave if the racing product doesn't improve

Pls watch our league.

Target isn't even the primary this week

Footage and interviews from Newgarden, Pigot, and Carpenter's 2018 test today at Texas Motor Speedway.

Correction:
No interviews, just footage.
Interview are apparently coming.

I think the racing has steadily improved over the past 2 seasons.
>decreased downforce has improved some of the races
>stage racing has lead to some desperate racing early and mid-race for points
>race teams earning victories besides HMS, JGR, and SHR
>the "fuck your shitbox" rule that eliminates driving a slow wrecked shitbox around the track to fuck up the lead racers

Some improvements I'd like to see:
- End caution after a stage and let them continue to race
- Increase the "fuck your shitbox" rule time from 5 minutes to 10 minutes
- Shitcan the splitter to reduce the advantage clean air has on the leader
- Limit the number of engines allowed per year to help create more parity between larger and smaller team budgets
- More short track and road races, even if the road race is a "roval"

I'm looking forward to the Charlotte "roval" race, and would love to see them use the same road course used for the Rolex 24 at Daytona.

My dream race would be NASCAR at Bathurst.

I dont think its Kurt's last race. SHR wants Kurt to take less money, Kurt wants top money, but isnt performing like top money.

Kurt may be let go from SHR if he wont take an incentive based compensation package.

my working theory on SHR is that Gene blew way more money on the /f1/ shit than he ever anticipated he would, and has just had to scale back completely on funding /turnleft/

He's told Tony no $pon$or$hip no ride is the new company policy

>Gene blew way more money on the /f1/ shit
Dudes like Haas, Penske, and Gnassi must be stupid rich if they're blowing cash in multiple racing series.

I don't why they wouldn't just focus on one team and winning a championship rather than spreading resources across multiple teams and series and underperforming as a result.

>Shitcan the splitter to reduce the advantage clean air has on the leader
I think they are in 2018

Rick Hendrick and Joe Gibbs are smart in that regard

>- Shitcan the splitter to reduce the advantage clean air has on the leader
This would make things worse. The splitter isn't nearly the most important difference between Gen 4 (and god Gen 4 races could suck ass in the last few years) and now and itself is laughably tiny now anyways.

The splitter has an ideal ride height and shits itself if you go to low and stall out and gradually drops off if the nose gets higher. An air dam has its ideal ride height at 0 to completely block off air flow. Any lower and you bottom out and any higher and effectiveness drops off rapidly from not getting that vacuum underneath the nose. When you're behind another car you're always going to lose some force pushing the nose down so with an air dam you're always going to lose the seal and get fucked.

NASCAR had a splitter shaped like the ones on an LMP that's less pitch sensitive than either but they won't fucking bring it in. Just like they know the issue is the ginormous offset slab sided rear quarter panels but won't change the rules because of the RTA being kikes or some shit.

Just look at where the difference is in these cars. The more upright greenhouse was supposed to help the racing by poking a bigger hole like a truck but in reality probably makes things worse too.

youtube.com/watch?v=3oiSJwpJF7s
A whopping 30 minutes of footage including interviews of today's Chevrolet Indycar test at Texas.

99% of NASCAR's problems would be fixed with less downforce and more power

Go back to 90s levels of downforce and let the engines make 900hp again

>This would make things worse.
Which makes for better racing, as car control becomes more crucial.

Old school cars didn't need splitters, and they offer more of an advantage to a car in clean air than the non-splitter car gains in the same situation. Removing them would increase parity, and also help prevent cars from being destroyed when they drive through the grass.

I'd agree with that.

I think the safety issues have been largely mitigated by new car and seat design, the HANS device, SAFER barriers, and roof flaps. We've already seen improved racing with a decrease in down force, so I think there's merit in taking a lower down-force / increased HP approach as it favors the driver with more car control, which is what racing is all about.

I think the only issue that really still exists is the "car flying into the fence/crowd at 200+ MPH" issue, but that exists regardless of speed.

You are retarded

The grass argument should be more than enough to get rid of splitters but Brian France has a really big brain

I don't think Brian France is making the decisions anymore, is he? I thought he gave up his stake in the company and is now just doing coke out of the ass of any given hooker.

F

Is formula E just a bad meme or is it worth watching?

It's not too bad because they size down the tracks to accommodate the slow speeds of the cars, but the whole "change out the entire car half way through the race" thing is kind of a bummer.

Your league only has one manufacturer (Chevy). Why?

>Why?
Parity?

youtube.com/watch?v=QuUa_ADZJms
huh

Those dudes drive the shit right out of those trucks.

It's stupid but the drivers are cool and the racing is alright

A Formula E car costs US$350,000. How much does a Formula 3 car cost?

I'd say about 125k or so for a brand new 2017 car, but don't quote me on that.

Carlin Racing is joining F2
carlin.co.uk/news/fia-formula-2/carlin-join-fia-formula-2-championship/

Unlikely to mean anything for the team's Indycar aspirations.

racer.com/indycar/item/145757-foyt-team-confirms-leist-to-partner-kanaan
Team Brazil
Leist is in at Foyt, not an unforetold development.
Unlikely that anything will change at Foyt next year though in regards to results.

Major sponsor.

Plus the cars aren't really built by Chevy, only the engine.

MARQUEZWINSLOL

good for him I guess. Sucks that there's still nothing for Urrutia and Munoz is going to be left out in the cold.

To be fair muñoz put himself in this situation when he left andretti

Few years ago it had several brands. Chevy, Peugeot, Mitsubishi and VW, then they were gradually missing till it was only Chevy and Peugeot, then Peugeot got out in 2015.

he was forced out because they wanted whatever money Sato brought from honda and panasonic and they are chronically addicted to Marco finishing in the back every week.

Here the rumor was that he was really angry at the team b3cause he felt they gave rossi the indy 500 (apperantly he had fuel to make the gamble like rossi), after that all went dowhill, there was a lot of tension bewteen his team and the 98 team

Munoz was on pace to win, he was using the same strategy as Josef Newgarden was.
They both had to come in for a splash of fuel with about 4 laps to go like most of the pack.

>intentionally impairing driver visibility by putting huge fucking numbers on the windshield
Dude...

They are invisible inside.

youtube.com/watch?v=Nw_hiRcfbkY

Fuck, i thought this shit was common knowledge.

Just see through the gaps brah

>common knowledge.
Nope. That's the only series I've seen that does that.

dtm puts big numbers on the windshield too

Media day vid from NASCAR:
nascar.com/video/franchise/press-pass/replay-monster-energy-series-championship-4-media-day/

idiot

You seem upset.

Its just cheap virute marketing for manufacterers. They learn nothing from it because its spec and they all race the same car.

It's not though.

I like racecars

This Linkin Park car at Macau looks fucking great.

wew

How long until someone condemns it as disrespectful to Chester Bennington?

They'll be able to hang around for awhile, I'm sure.

Baja 1000

Good work mate

WTCC and TCR to merge
Good news imo

Stock Car races are pretty good desu, like the Argie TC2000

AMG 1-2-3-4 at Macau, no wonder Blancpain was the AMG Cup this year.

Literally the only option tbqh somehow the wtcc managed to become more irrelevant than a 3(?) year old series

RIP FORMULA RENAULT 3.5

>The World Series Formula V8 3.5 is to have its final race this weekend, as the series announced it would not continue into 2018.

>The single-seater series has supported the World Endurance Championship this year but races attracted just a handful of entrants with only ten due to race this weekend.

Someone give me the rundown on Matheus Leist

WEC SURVEY RESULTS ARE OUT

Check the wec Twitter account

>spectacular crashes

Everybody will be on the track today. Will be interesting to see who unloads the fastest. I think the 4 is the car to beat this weekend. Just not sold on the 78 having a winning high line car, can't remember them ever having one.

WEC Quali's on but I've got no stream

Kryle is gonna win it

youtube.com/c/AndrewNik/live

Thanks, that's the one I was looking for but couldn't remember the username of

your 2017 NASHIT Cup Champion

also I imagine not one of those 4 cars will be close to legal

It's only illegal if you get caught

It's unusual that F1 is percieved as more advanced when LMP1 cars have been more advanced for years.

That tiny rear wing looks funny

muh pinnacle

Little bit, not sure what small end plates would do to the drag coefficient, but those would help aestethically a bit.

Why do euros hate Ford and sponsors?

Practice about to start on NBCSN

Are there stage points and shit for the final four, or is it just whoever finishes ahead of the others?

whoever finishes highest

BR1 revealed
DragonSpeed will also race one with a Gibson engine

when will kyle put her in a KBM truck

That survey is pretty to close how I would have answered.

Danica OUT

>Danica to run the Daytona 500 and Indy 500 next year and then will pretty much be done with racing

What do you think about this exit?

checked

Danica to NBC next year and will run both the Daytona 500 and the Indianapolis 500

usatoday.com/story/sports/nascar/2017/11/17/danica-patrick-may-headed-nbc-2018-but-driving-career-might-not-over/874321001/

danica should go to IMSA