Monolingual General

I've fucking had it
being a monolingual subhuman is suffering

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Qo_nnjM9y6c
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

jeg...

Haha, on razumije samo engleski

Use duolingo to learn the basic words and expressions. Read something basic about the grammar. Read in that language every day for a lot of days. Start with something easy. You'll suffer a lot.

lær eitt nýtt mál

eu portugese or br portugese?

How the fuck can you be content with only speaking English? let alone the british version
it's such a bland and simple language and it's extremely easy to learn I'm actually surprised you never even bothered to learn anything else
I think you mans might be retarded, wagwan?

don't torment me

>I can comprehend croatian
wow

no bully jordanbro
teach me arabic

>i can comprehend faroese
wow

being monolingual is hard guys.
you think anyone talking in a foreign language is talking shit about you and it gets you really paranoid
similar language i guess

It'd be fun to be bilingual just because it seems more interesting, but the only things I haven't been able to find in English are manga, so I'm not too butthurt about it.

Don't you think I'll be a little biased when I answer that question?

there was a brazilian a few days ago who gave an interesting answer. pic related

Then he proceeded to say except his accent from Rio.

what do you speak?
spanish?

so carioca is the best accent

OP there is nothing stopping you right now.

You might think that being a native English-speaker puts you at a disadvantage because language education traditionally sucks in Anglophone countries but I have to tell you something: Language education in a school environment sucks in most coumtries. Classes are very slow at best and downright inefficient at worst.

Most people you see succeeding did so depite it, not because of it. They were the ones that realized consciously or not that real language acquisition mostly happens on your own terms. Most people on here are fluent because they immersed themselves in anglophone media and made the effort to understand it, additionally to their formal instruction at school.

I'm not trying to completely deride language education in schools but the truth is that they are catering to the worst student currently in the class, the weakest link. Virtually all master polyglots quickly realized that self-study is the most effective method of learning.

You should realize that English being your native language actually give you a huge advantage, it's no coincidence that a lot of popular Internet Polyglots are native English speakers. You have to ultimate freedom to study the languages you want since you are not forced to pick one due to economical pressure or political duress. When it comes to looking for tandem partners you are the hottest commoditiy on every language exchange platform because virtually every speaker of every living language on this planet is looking for a native English speaker as an exchange partner.

So realize your freedom and your advantages, go by your gut feeling and start getting your feet wet in the language (or the languages) you want to learn(French, Japanese or Greenlandic it doesn't matter!).

Good luck OP!

huutista vammaselle :DDD

Are you serious?

Never mind, I'm retarded, I just got the joke.

thanks germanbro

Galician.

Paulista>>>>>Carioca

You can change that, you know?

it's possible but i can't decide on a language to learn

Hispanics can understand spoken br pt but not eu pt, if you care about that at all

learn ancient greek

I'm greek

try to read the very basics of the languages and then decide. Dont pick anything too difficult/complex as you've never learned a language before. You also need loads of love for that language to succeed learning it

Kek its it. I love say vai tomar no cu, CARALHO and people don't understand like that you can express what do u wan

learn swedish or norwegian, its pretty easy for anglos

German or Spanish seem the easiest.

im trying to learn a few phrases and shit in German on duolingo. its not too hard.

spanish just looks easy and simple to understand,

Putangina! Ang tanga ng briton na to.

French will be easier for you to learn than German. The vocab is more similar to English than German is, believe it or not. That and the fact that German grammar is easily more complex than french (grammatical cases, etc).

T. Brit that lived in France and now lives in Germany

I speak 3 languages and it's honestly never useful other than speaking with family and watching Russian TV. The only good thing is that everyone assumes you are smart.

>The only good thing is that everyone assumes you are smart.

The only good thing is that every Anglo assumes you are smart.

ftfy

Well living in a country where at most people take high school Spanish just knowing one other language fluently already puts you above everyone.

Based Salvadoreño.

that's my point. Being an American, or a Brit for that matter, with the ability to have a basic conversation in another language sets you apart from the rest.

Agreed.
Pushtu is the future of Britain.

Pentalingual masterrace reporting in.

its easy to learn english as a 2nd when the vast majority of the world's culture and art is in english. you have loads to miss out on if you dont speak english, and either way it will surround your life anyway

this isnt the case for native english speakers. there is no reason or motivation for us to learn french or german. there's also no contact point from which to learn. i haven't met a single german, french or spanish person here in my life.

Kkkkkkk gringo burro, só sabe falar inglês!

>spanish just looks easy and simple to understand,
You are probably gonna sound like:
youtube.com/watch?v=Qo_nnjM9y6c
Oh, and the accents and some special pronunciations like the Ñ, the LL and the R are hard too.

So what's your point, you don't want to learn another language because it's pointless? Then don't, it's causing you no harm by remaining monolingual. For most Anglos, me included, it's only worth it if you are moving to another country or if you have a genuine interest in learning other languages. I wanted to learn German in school but they didn't provide it. I forgot all about it until I moved here and now I have to learn it. Good thing is that for me it's a pleasure as I'm genuinely interested in learning it and enjoy speaking it. I reckon that being successful in learning another language comes mostly down to whether you want to or not over if you need to. Don't do it if you don't want, lad.

my point is that its retarded to look down on native English speakers for not speaking another language, as loads of people in this thread have done.

how many Germans speak Italian and vice-versa? probably not many because there is no need to learn it, you don't get keyed into some massive trove of culture and art like you do by learning English

Take it from me, far fewer people in Germany and France speak English than you think. Granted there will be more Germans speaking English than the other way around but still. Most of the people I know here that are around my age barely speak English and for older people, you can forget it for the most part. Everything here is dubbed, and dubbed terribly I might add. The level of English you see here from Germans is far higher than the norm.

Perhaps they are salty about the fact that they had to learn English to be able to access a lot of stuff and us Anglos don't need to lift a finger. It'd go someway to explaining the comments you read.

>Norwegian
>Swedish
>Danish
>English

>Basic German
>A little Icelandic
>A little Faroese

The Scandi languages being so similar is cheating, i will admit.
I want to learn some more German though. It's a fun language to speak, although it sounds like ass

>tfw bilingual (English and Korean) but the one other than English isn't that relevant

I wish my first language is Arabic, Cantonese, or maybe Russian tbqh.

You say it like it's somebody else's fault. And damn, being an English native speaker and call it suffering it's up high in terms of stupid.

Holy shit I actually comprehend this.