Why do so many TV shows hang around way too long?

Why do so many TV shows hang around way too long?
Do the creators not realize when their shows decline? What are the circumstances when shows actually end at an appropriate time?

Another example.

always sunny

They should what brit shows do and leave on a high tbqh

Always Sunny is still great though.

The show has one, maybe two good seasons and it sort of becomes the channel's flagship show then they just ordering more seasons because it's now the posterboy for original content on your channel

Same thing happened with House of Cards on netflix

People still watch them, they still bring in money more then taking the chance at something new that may not be successful

It's easier and cheaper to continue an existing show than to start a new one.

Money and arrogance. The Hollywood liberals for you

I think the latest season is great

You can never have enough episodes of always sunny

after brody died i stopped watching. It took a huge downhill turn.

Since it's the exact same episode constantly then, yeah I guess your point stands.

yeah. it's a pretty different show after season 3, but it's not bad at all.

The network decides when a show ends.
A showrunner has to decide between getting paid for running his own show into the ground or leaving, and someone else running his show into the ground.

>Completely random
>exact same episode

yeah i see your point ???

These are two of the shows that I still watch

Surprised that Low-Rent Alex Jones impersonator hasn't become a psedu-Rogan meme

If they can make money off of it they will. They'll only kill off a show if there's a significant drop in ratings which doesnt always happen to show like homeland until they get REALLY bad.

Homeland is good show with some bad seasons.

IS this still going on or when did it die?

I dropped it around the time the younger brother kills someone and they have to run.

All of these explanations kind of make sense. But what happened in the case of The Sopranos or Breaking Bad for example? Why didn't those shows go on for 15 seasons?

I'd assume the story was finished and the director/writers had this thing called artistic intergrity, maybe?

At least that's why I wouldnt drag out a show.

Sure, but according to this thread the networks could have just replaced them.

Should have ended in S6

>season 4

FTFY

Replace something that's finished?

Isn't that what they did with shit like Better Call Saul?

Or do you mean replace the director/writers?

Because that's pretty stupid business-wise to replace the people that made your show a hit just because they've decided to finish it like a story should.

Depends on the network I suppose. When you've got a prestigious show like Mad men that's won multiple emmys the showrunner gets more leverage. Even then AMC made Weiner split the last season in two

Would you watch a Peter Quinn prequel to Homeland?

Sons of anarchy didn't become terrible it just got boring .

But Homeland right now is better than all of the earlier seasons (except 1). The only thing Homeland tends to do poorly is season finales.

No. Why don't people get that the only redeeming part of Homeland was the unique concept. After season 2 the show became really bland, including Quinn who is just a generic "badass spy" character.

GOAT season

Dexter could have been so much fucking better if they'd planned ahead a little, instead of scraping together retarded filler side plots each season. They used up the Dexter being chased by the police storyline in the second season already, and the rest are just Dexter vs new super villain. Debra not figuring Dexter out makes her look completely braindead.