What did the movies do better than the books?

What did the movies do better than the books?

Other urls found in this thread:

tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Racism_in_Tolkien's_Works
youtube.com/watch?v=wn1oeEmzFhQ
youtube.com/watch?v=9wAH0SEtgdI
tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Easterlings_(First_Age)
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

battles

Music.

Taxes.

takes less time

I know its probably a quick jab on your behalf, but I agree with it. The books are unnecessarily dense. Like, theres just pages of them walking. I know it builds the sense of comradery, but it can be established in much less words.

Gandalf coming back

the lighting

Everything.

Tolkien's prose is rubbish, he couldn't tell a story to save his life, none of the characters have any depth, and his underlying racism is obvious.
I will admit that his master of language, both real and fictional, is apparent, but that's really all his books have going for them.

The battles, Helm's deep battle in the books sounded like 3 dude trying to get over a fence.

Structured in a way that is more palatteable to average people. The books have pages describing a tree or people doing literally nothing but walking. Full of detail but often not the good type, no one really cares about a 15 page essay on what colour the grass is.

Aren't both considered classics??

im glad they tossed those stupid fucking songs in the books

You're a twat dude. The only fictional book that's sold more copies is A Tale of Two cities and that shit's 100 years older.

>The only fictional book that's sold more copies is A Tale of Two cities

The Bible has sold more than all those books combined.

he's a good world builder, but yes, LoTR is a boring read. the hobbit is a better written story and there isn't all the autistic fluff in it.

that part where Gimli tries to smash the ring at the council of elrond isn't in the books, I thought it was a good addition

>not wanting prancing singing elves

what are you, a faggot?

some of the warmer moments like gandalf lighting those fireworks for the kids
in the book he's just like "i'll do it later at the party. now fuck off."

Having Frodo and Gollum struggle over the ring causing its destruction is less anti-climactic than gollum tripping, too

Made it not drag on.

The books are good overall, but there are parts where they fucking drag.

they made gollum a better character in the movies too. he's just kind of this weird frog creature in the books that doesn't have much of a character, in the movies they gave him much more character

presentation.

the book's intro drags on and on about the shire and frodo's family history

the movie's intro is the battle of the last alliance

I said fictional

But Two Towers is one of the most boring films ever made except the battle.

fotr > tt > rotk

This.

Nobody wants to read 5 pages of Tolkien describing fucking leaves on trees

I never thought about this, but wouldn't Minas Tirith be extremely succeptible to goblina just climbing over that mountain and fucking the city from above? Or couldn't a bunch of orc archers just scale that and rain arrows down on the city?

[upvote]

I disagree. At times his prose can be tedious but he has moments where his prose really shines. Such as his beautiful description of lothlorien or the charge of the rohirrim.

for every one good section there's 10 bad ones where i just want him to get the fuck on with it

I am too lazy to go find it but I distinctly remember how Ghimli and Legolas friendship is 1 line at Rivendell how they instantly became best friends.

I can't even remember any of the descriptions of the battle.

This is not to say "the movies made the book/story good" but there are some things that makes me wish he worked on it with someone else, I like the way he describes things and the lore but then again the character development seems sparse.

A bunch of arrows hitting your city isn't going to do shit. Being stuck on a mountain is a way worse position than being stuck in a city. You aren't going to be able to mount any sort of attack from off the mountain anyways. What are you gonna do, climb down a ladder or rope into the city?

Reading people singing songs is some of the most boring shit imaginable. Just having lyrics to songs in a book without actually listening to music accomplishes nothing.

cgi

>The Bible has sold more than all those books combined.

Actually, this. I adore Tolkien, and I adore both LOTR books and films, but the books, as detailed and beautiful and lovely though they are, they can certainly get sloggish.

JRR Tolkien and CS Lewis (both some of my favorite men from history, ever) were close friends and wrote their fantasy book series at the same time. Tolkien was a master world builder. Middle Earth is so rich and detailed and has so much story not featured in the narratives that it is incredible. However, his storytelling, though very good, isn't the best. He is so in love with his (admittedly excellent) world he's created that when he's telling the stories set IN that world, he goes too far into the minute details and settings.

"Oh, the Fellowship is walking up Mount Caradhras. Let's take 12 pages talking about snow and wind." On screen, they spend a perfect amount of time, and move on. Tolkien wasn't an AMAZING story teller.

His friend, CS Lewis, was an incredible storyteller, but he didn't have the world-building strength that Tolkien did. He could tell beautiful, touching, and thrilling stories set in Narnia for seven books, but his worlds leave more to the imagination than actually exists. Plus (and this was a peeve of Tolkien), Narnia doesn't really feature anything truly original, save for a couple little race. Mostly Norse and Celtic and Greek and Roman mythologies. And regular animals... that can talk. Not a ton of kingdom differentiations, etc, etc. Point is, he could craft a story, but maybe not a world. Tolkien could craft a world, but maybe not a story.

aragorn comes off like a fucking asshole in the books and constantly has to proclaim hes isildurs heir and is wielding narsil to everyone.
like in TT book when he has to give narsil to the edoras guard before seeing theoden. hes like fuck you hama this is the blade that was broken motherfucker im aragorn and hama is getting tired of his shit.

The Bible is the best selling work of literature ever, fictional or otherwise.

Surprised no one has posted the "arrive at location" meme yet

Nothing.

Minas Tirith is supposed to be grand and amazing capital city, yet it's built like a fucking favela.

No, I'm serious.

I agree with this one. I could listen to the complete soundtrack everyday.

Is lotr one of the few movie adoptions that got it just absolutely right?

By that I mean it was able to capture everything about the books, not follow them exactly

It's supposed to be Vienna.

No Tom Bombadil

>Tolkien's prose is rubbish
>I will admit he is a master of language
You're an idiot

He phrased it (really) poorly but you're the more obvious idiot.

Read it over a few times and think.

>Arise, arise, Riders of Théoden!
>Fell deeds awake: fire and slaughter!
>spear shall be shaken, shield be splintered,
>a sword-day, a red day, ere the sun rises!
>Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor!

>With that he seized a great horn from Guthláf his banner-bearer, and he blew such a blast upon it that it burst asunder. And straightway all the horns in the host were lifted up in music, and the blowing of the horns of Rohan in that hour was like a storm upon the plain and a thunder in the mountains.

The pacing between Bilbo's party and getting to Bree.

Aragorn's character arc.

More Saruman.

The way the ring got destroyed.

Nothing

Nothing besides fellowship of the ring

The characters. Particularly Faramir. In the books he's a boring mary sue who isn't the slightest bit tempted by the ring because all he wants is his fathers love.
In the movies he's corrupted by the ring and wants to use it to win his fathers love.

I have probably read The Hobbit and LOTR half a dozen times but I've always skipped the fucking singing. I just couldn't muscle through it.

The movies have like all those extended battle sequences. But I think they left one battle out from Fellowship of the Ring where they were attacked by wargs or werewolves at night but disappeared in the morning, like their bodies weren't there. Also they didn't show the Battle at Pelargir when Aragorn arrived with his ghost army. And what about the woses, or Tom Bombadil and the wights and the Hobbits getting their weapons.

Legolas surfing on shield.

They didn't include this guy and his faggotry.

Only downside is that they never explained how Merry got a Barrow blade to stabb the Witch-king and remove his Nazgul meme-shield so Eowyn could finnish him off.
IIRC Aragorn technically gave it to them at the Watchtower of Amun Sul but it was never explained that they were Barrow blades.

I always liked rotk most for the battles as a kid, but I recently rewatched the whole trilogy and damn, fotr is so comfy, easily the best movie

>I am too lazy to go find it but I distinctly remember how Ghimli and Legolas friendship is 1 line at Rivendell how they instantly became best friends.
I am seriously convinced that 100% of the people commenting in this thread have never read Lord of the Rings.

In general its crazy how much people overestimate the power of bows.

this

if the Rohirrim had used bows instead of spears the armies of Sauron would've been utterly destroyed

I also forgot to mention that during the mustering of Gondor, I think like when troops from Gondor's provinces were arriving at the city of Minas Tirith, and the provinces couldn't spare that many troops since all of the Orcs and Uruk-Hai and the Corsairs and Haradrim and Easterlings, etc. were laying siege to Gondor and her cities and even attacking the realms of the Elves and Dwarves, like the movies left out the part were soldiers were arriving to take part in the defense of the city. I think even Merry remarked that some of the Gondor men from the provinces were swarthy, meaning they were darker of skin color. But in the movies, all the Gondor men were like completely white and stuff, If I'm wrong, correct me on this. Also, Prince Imrahil, the half Elven, half Human from one of Gondor's other port cities. He took part in the defense of Minas Tirith alongside Gandalf.

Nice analysis

the musical score

Brainwashing goys with jewish propoganda.

>have a legit reason to put non-whites in your movie as the good guys
>lol ghosts
Good things liberals don't actually give a fuck about lotr to read it, they would throw a massive fit

They actually caught my interest.

Pacing

Most people think Eowyn was able to kill him because "I am no man". It's annoying when you know how she was actually able to kill him and it opens up plotholes for why an Elf couldn't do since they aren't men either. But most movie goers are plebs who didn't put much thought into it after the fact

i dont know. i didnt read the book

"Leading the line there came walking a big thick-limbed horse, and on it sat a man of wide shoulders and huge girth, but old and grey-bearded, yet mail-clad and black-helmed and bearing a long heavy spear. Behind him marched proudly a dusty line of Men, well-armed and bearing great battleaxes; grim-faced they were, and shorter and somewhat swarthier than any men that Pippin had yet seen in Gondor." This is from page 31 of the edition of The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King that I have.

There were more companies of troops from Gondor's outlying provinces arriving after Forlong the Fat, Lord of Lossarnach. Tolkien doesn't go into that much of a detail describing the other companies, only as much to say that there are many sorts of them, some on horseback, many on foot, from small villages or from fishing ships, some with bows and arrows, etc. But Tolkien doesn't say that they were swarthy or not. Oh, and that there were just few of them, like around 3 thousand who came to the aid of Minas Tirith.

In the films, the military of Gondor is only white men, and we don't even get to see the Corsairs get defeated, who are suppose to be Black Numenoreans. That means that the Corsairs are white men just like the men of Minas Tirith, but who have allied themselves with Sauron and the Haradrim and Easterlings, etc.

Check this article out, it might help and such: tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Racism_in_Tolkien's_Works But I haven't read it, I just found it while responding to your post.

Also, Steven Colbert is a liberal and he is steeped in the works of Tolkien and the Lord of the Rings, so he probably knows more than you about the books.

>5 pages of Tolkien describing fucking leaves on trees
sounds fucking awful

It takes place in a medieval fantasy world, and they are walking and walking. The songs and poetry they sang would probably help to keep them busy on the road and stuff. I think even in the Band of Brothers miniseries on HBO, the paratroopers and infantrymen were singing songs while marching.

Not even close you dumb fucking newfag

>steven colbert know's more than me about LOTR

fucking no. also i could kill him with my bare hands in under 1 minute flat and my children are going to be richer than his. they've already tested at 130+ iq and are going to private school.

i SHIT on colbert.

>I think even Merry remarked that some of the Gondor men from the provinces were swarthy, meaning they were darker of skin color

I'd argue that Tolkiens use of swarthy is closer to how Welshmen are darker than the English and not actually brown people

Oh, I thought that Tolkien based the realms of Arnor and Gondor on the Roman Empire, which also include the Byzantine Roman empire. The Romans and Byzantines both had people of color in their Empires.

this is correct.

the highest blood of kings grow only blond hair on their arms and legs. they have army and leg hair, but it is blond.. the lower bloodforms grow dark hair on their arms and legs.

>Cutting the songs was a good thing.

Pure plebs.

youtube.com/watch?v=wn1oeEmzFhQ

youtube.com/watch?v=9wAH0SEtgdI

They allowed illiterate plebs like OP to avoid having to read and using his/her/xer's imagination.

books > films

This never happens, you faggots. At most its a paragraph or two.

It's a meme at this point. Nobody cares that compared to "modern" fantasy Lord of the Rings is actually rather short.

Maybe this will help: tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Easterlings_(First_Age)

The Easterlings of the First Age were swarthy men or dark and some of them were allied with the elves and others were allied with Morgoth or Sauron.

Bump.

every time

The movies didn't make me give up on the trilogy half way through The Two Towers.

What happened?

"Gondor"