youtube.com/watch?v=V5eaDhCVNJU
youtu.be/vSNH9oNqN-s
youtube.com/watch?v=tYijGl6NnhY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

kek, when will they ever learn?

Was this or Moonlight better?

DAWSONNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!

i don't watch oscarbait, sorry.

Best film of the year, too bad it doesn't have enough black people in it so it wont be winning any oscars.

Manchester by the sea is better imo, both have kind of a shit editing, but Moonlight has the vibe of an indie film because of lousy camerawork and the writing isn't very good. Manchester by the sea in the other hand knew exactly what it was doing with the camera movements and plays a lot with static cam, which gives me a hard on, plus the writing is just superb. This movie is one of the greatest from the last years imo, especially for american cinema.

>Moonlight
>lousy camerawork and the writing isn't very good

yeah especially in the first 2 segments, most of it is intentional but it serves no purpose so it just ends up being bad. Let me rephrase the part of the writing though 'it isn't as good as MBTS's'

Rapist don't get rewards

ironic that his character is also struggling with his past. i didn't look into it, but do these women have a right to bring it up just because he got a nominated?

Moonlight was much better directed, better cinematography. But Manchester I enjoyed more because it was relatable and I really liked Casey in it.

It's a good film, but I got kinda annoyed at the whole "ex wife moves and gets knocked up again" bullshit.

Casey had all the development while Williams was told to look sad (which she is great at), and mostly had her use squandered to a nearly non existent (yet important) amount of screen time, and even still was written like all women characters get written, they always come out of the other side of the tunnel while the dude spends the rest of his life being unable to move on and will probably die alone in his misery

Watched MBTS less than 15 minutes ago, moonlight a few weeks ago. It's a toss up for me. I'm gonna watch he'll or high water tomorrow, then the only BP nominees I haven't seen are lion, hidden figures and fences I believe. IMO whoever wins best director I'll be happy with

>realest

You understand that everyone on that film (excet maybe Chad kid) is autistic, and that no one in real life (except maybe Casey's character) would behave like that?

>it was relatable

How the fuck it was relatable, is everyone in your town a white autistic, or did you burn your children or are you fucking two girls at the same time?

It was good but the movie would have well-earned an Oscar if it had some kind of pay-off at some point in the film.

I knew they didn't go for a kind of cheesey scene and wanted it to be 'real' as you put it, but I think thats what lets the film down. They spend two and a half fucking hours building up tension for fucking nothing. An emotional scene where he gets forgiven for what happened from his ex-wife or something would have made the movie kino.

even if he was forgiven it would have done nothing for him, he was dead inside like he told her, and he will always carry his mistake with him and never be able to "beat it" like he stated at the end.

the final shot is the pay off, that even though he wont be able to forgive himself and truly move past it, there is still something to live for with what family he has left, and that perhaps his life will have some meaning going forward, instead of him just walking around like a zombie until he dies, like his ex wife said he was trying to do

Did you finish the movie? Because that scene is exactly what happened you mongoloid

It made you feel like you could relate, despite not dealing with any of the problems he was. You felt like you were in his shoes while watching.

Realistically I guess Gosling was the only movie character that I actually had things in common with.

Convince me why i should watch this twilight copy.

I can think not of one but of two reasons

Dont, you're obviously retarded, devoid of taste and wouldn't enjoy it

i don't watch movies for women, i have a gf you virgin.

Its based on the real life of the director you cuck. And they're technically both Oscar bait.

>it's not oscar bait because it's based on a true story

Hate to break it to you, but a mass majority of Oscar nominated movies are based on true stories.

How is Michelle in this film?

Oscar bait implies the intention of just doing a movie with particular subject matter to bait an Oscar. He did the movie because he wanted to tell his story, and it was a good story to tell. Saying you won't watch "Oscar bait" is fucking retarded. A movie's either good or it isn't.

cute

Not much screen time, but part of probably the most heartbreaking scene. Well acted.

She didn't explicitly say that. I mean the movie needed more pay-off. Maybe I'm being too autistic but this is too abstract for me. I needed a really dramatic scene so's I knew that the plot had been resolved

Pretty shitty. She's in it for 10 minutes and the first half the movie she's sick and bitchy so not very hot.

attractive as always but has like 10 minutes of screen time and only one really potent scene

What if he failed to take the gun out and they suspect he tried to go on a killing spree?

You're actually retarded, my dude.

Go rewatch the scene again and pay attention this time.

how long was joe in the hospital? Patrick looked about the same age in the scene (though you only saw the back of his head), and the mother was still present with a thick boston accent, so the timeline seems messed up to me

he lobviously didn't mean he directly related to it you turbo autsimo.

it made me remember the lowest point in my life, and reminded me that i crawled out of it, and to be grateful that i "beat" it, because there are a lot of people stuck, and have given up on their lives.

La La Land will win. Just deal with it and move on.

>please

This movie was hard to watch in theaters.

mfw this was filmed in my hometown and, yes, they are

>bar fight breaks out
youtube.com/watch?v=5jcOgP-zeTg

>another bar fight breaks out
youtube.com/watch?v=5jcOgP-zeTg

>implying alcaholic townies ever lose their accent

one of the most potent films on depression I've seen.

Affleck is basically how depressed people behave, its not an explicit sadness that fills your ever waking moment so much as a shitty malaise punctuated by moments of anger in some people or just brief breaks from it.

What shit problem to be stricken with and lots of people get it for no reason at all, even when they have happy lives where nothing is really wrong

she didn't have it in the lunch during the film's present day

>oh mah gawd

It was this one.

youtube.com/watch?v=V5eaDhCVNJU

>there's nothing there

>and that perhaps his life will have some meaning going forward, instead of him just walking around like a zombie until he dies

naw, that's exactly what he was planning to do, which is why he didn't want to start a new life with Patrick, he wanted to die alone, just like that old man who's furnace he was fixings father, who died out at sea, where nobody knew what happened, no mayday signal etc etc.

i guess buying an apartment with two rooms kind of left an open window for Patrick to be apart of his life, but Lee didn't want to drag him down, because his future looked so bright/had so many things going for him.

shut up, you fag

>It made you feel like you could relate, despite not dealing with any of the problems he was. You felt like you were in his shoes while watching.

This, I think manchester made me more connected to humanity than any other movie. I could feel the constant struggle but also the legitimacy of it, the situation when letting go is simply not an option.

For me it was a really beautiful movie that shows why the bad stuff is there: even though the tragedy itself is obviously horrible the empathy and humility born out of it just felt so warm. Well obviously some people hated or were afraid of nick but there was also a lot of love from others.

As for the cuts and the song I can't say for sure that it doesn't work. Even though I enjoyed them it does seem somewhat gimmicky but all other aspects of the movie are so meticulously crafted that I'm willing to give a benefit of the doubt to those decisions: maybe they are meant to have an effect that I haven't noticed or understood yet.

i disagree.

>this is too abstract for me
It's a big scene

Shut up you fag

A lot of what made Manchester By The Sea feel "real" is the way the dialogue is spoken. It feels like people having actual conversations, not scripted dialogue or queued discussions. The timing changes depending on the emotion and context, characters interrupt eachother and comebacks are fast and don't have a cut to each character's face.

That is some hard shit to capture on screen. It's on the completely other end of the spectrum of reciting Shakespeare, but it's just as difficult.

>. They spend two and a half fucking hours building up tension

They didn't? When was the tension that you are talking about built up? It was just a dude trying to do the right thing that he knew he couldn't do. The scenes that were shown were as emotional as they get but of course not in an explosive way because there was no explosion in the sight.

>it feels like people having actual conversations

If you are autistic, maybe. The only way that dialogue makes sense is if we choose to accept that we are seeing the film through Lee's eyes. If you honestly think that real people talk like that, you are unironically autistic

I've been in the context, I'm sorry you don't have any family that has ever died. I was the youngest in my extended family too, it'll start happening before you know it.

I had a tragic event in my family! And yes, part of my family was also forever broken after that. But we still don't go on and talk like autists because of it!

there has been like 8 posts in this thread accusing the characters of acting or talking "autistic" can you guys not explain yourselves?

get out more, every encounter was awkward because Lee was fucking Lee, and most of the film took place during a funeral. and if you've experienced it that's exactly how people act towards you, very motherly, wanting to coddle you, and you don't want any of it.

I'm genuinely glad faggots like you are shitposting here instead of making movies

if you mean the scene in pic related, that's Lee not Patrick

I think they only saw this cut of the film: youtu.be/vSNH9oNqN-s

I think I know what you are trying to say, but the guy still has a point. I know plenty of people who would have liked the film 10x more if they felt like the plot had been "resolved" or if there was a greater pay-off. However, I don't think that those people can relate very well to the type of depression that Lee was experiencing in the film or see any apparent connection to the way the movie ended and the events that transpired in the film.

If you could explain why you think this guy is a shitposting faggot in greater detail I might better understand what you meant by your post and might possibly understand the connection between your post and what you genuinely meant to say.

>tfw cant beat it

Will the poorfags hate it again when the rips come and they see this on a 9" screen?

reply to this post if you thought about taking a cops gun and offing yourself before

what was this movie about? all I saw was a load of acting. was there even a plot?

It's about a man having to deal with his tragic past by being thrown in family issues and about dealing with grief in general.
"The plot" is in the interactions between the characters, not in events which happen outside of them.

Rips are already out, I watched it and I loved it.

Who sits down at the table just to eat a yogurt?

Yup, that's me.

Edge of seventeen was more real unfortunately

>realest

Even though all the elements were steeped in magical realism?

>rare blood disease
>burns down his own kids
>get divorced
>wife has a new baby
>bitches throwing their pussies at him left right and center but he is too woke to want any of it

0/10 - emotionally real sure, actually real, hell fucking no.

So a movie has to be about shit that happens to you on a weekly basis to be realistic?
nigga pleaaaaase

There is nothing real about the experiences of teenagers, it's a period of quantity of quality until quantity doesn't quite make it for you and you get frustrated or some shit happens and you begin to look for the real stuff. There is nothing bad about it but also nothing real.

If he was black, every cop would've unloaded on him in less than a second

Was anyone else exasperated by the hyper-realism style of filming. Like his fucking phone signal dropping while talking to the vice principal or the legs on the trolley not folding when trying to put her in the ambulance. I mean can you think of the amount of phone conversations when you drop signal, it's probably 1 in 1000. It just feels so edited-in and contrived, like they are trying to trick us into buying this movie as realistic. He was much better in Jessie James by the way.

that cut between he taking the gun and then pointing it at him really sparks my autism.

>mfw Denzel wins tomorrow

Damn that kid did good one has big ass tiddies and the other is finely curved.

>See thumbnail with blonde woman and post mentioning Michelle
>Expect Michelle Pfeiffer
>Click the thumbnail
>It's some broad I've never seen before

Truly, I have lost touch with the times.

>It's some broad I've never seen before

delete this, don't dare to say bad things about the cutiest actress alive.

A film tailor made for lower middle class yankee failures.

My review for Manchester by the sea

youtube.com/watch?v=tYijGl6NnhY

what is this hairline called

so he was just sad? there was no plot as I thought.

hehe excellent constructive post my friend, I am sure you are one highly intellectual individual yourself

Anyone who knows anything about how people "actually" speak will know that mumblecore is the only thing that comes close to capturing it on-screen
And mumblecore is a shit genre

Interviews and recordings are bad metrics to base conversations off because they're not natural. If you want natural conversation, you literally have to hide a tape recorder in an office breakroom or something
And then you see that it's the dullest shit in the world to listen to
>constant references to past events that aren't explained
>constant inside jokes
>"small talk"
>opinions on current events

People don't naturally talk in a way that translates to the screen, providing necessary exposition but not too much.

I wonder what would tards like that say if they watched any movie from Tarkovsky or Bergman.

the acting was great. I would have realised there was no plot at all rather than assuming I missed something if it hadn't been.

I was listening to happy music during it so maybe that is why I didn't notice that he was upset.

anyway, the sad guy should probably win best acting oscar.

>I was listening to happy music during

You are either heavily autistic or a baitmaster.

>anyway, the sad guy should probably win best acting oscar.
agreed
one time i was really sad and this reminded me of that and i thought that he could be me except i dont live in manchester and michelle williams isn't my ex-wife

for me the acid test of a best acting contender is if the performance can have the same impact with no sound and subtitles.

if you have lost a close family member the hospital scene hits you pretty hard.
Is so real... not the typical he is dead lol, we as doctors dont care about our patients and the family has overreacted emetions scene

What's worth watching in theaters, this, Moonlight or Silence?

Yes

Writing wasn't good except for the dialogue. In terms of arcs, cohesion, character development, it was all trash.

Where can I watch this, bros?