Is this a

Is this a
>muh racism
film or is there more to it?

pretentious hipster garbage

Doesn't it merely cater to Oscarbait more than any other film?

it's brokeblack mountain

The movie's not even about racism.

Literally nothing to do with racism

you post here, you wouldn't like it

I don't think there's a single white person in the movie and nobody even mentions white people.

It's weird. I thought black people spoke about white people all the time.

/thread

And yes it is the best film of the eyar

It's literally just blacks so racism isn't really depicted, it actually points out problems within the black community

With much less buttfucking, I might add

No it's >muh fag niggers

It has nothing to do with racism.
Still a mediocre flick though.

Aren't you posting here?

why don't you just go watch it and find out?

Only white people obsess over other races

Basically, the fim is about life circumstances and how we develop/how they affect us. The topics of the film are masculinity, sexuality, family, loneliness, love, facing dificulties (being a poor gay bullied negro is really tough, who knew). If you've seen The Wire some thing may sound familiar...

It's not a 10/10 masterpiece, but has great visuals.

Can someone explain to me why is everyone praising the cinematography in Moonlight?

I found it way too stylized and jarring, especially in the first two acts. The high saturation with a hard contrast, blown out whites, videogame character like shiny faces, shaky cam and too many unmotivated camera movements.
Those 360 tracking shots for example, it calls too much attention to itself instead of complimenting the story. The first one in the opening sequence especially, it was almost comical to me.

I know all of those are intentional choices so the third act can be in contrast with the static shots and minimal movements, but still I don't think it justifies to take the viewer out of the great performances with such aggressive visual extravaganza.

Have you already forgotten that LA LA land exists?

It seems like you just missed the point of the visuals half the time.

The hard contrast / high saturation lighting was to give the blues a richer a more striking look to tie into the black boys in the Moonlight theme.

The handheld camera and the circling in the first two acts gave the film a nervous anxious quality that matched the lead's struggle

The opening tracking shot visually maps out the entire destructive cycle of drugs, drug dealing, poverty, crime, environment, etc. in one elegant shot. Something that many films spend their runtime one.

>The handheld camera and the circling in the first two acts gave the film a nervous anxious quality

I was only anxious because it took me out of the movie everytime I noticed it.
You can induce nervousness and anxiety with a variety of filmmaking elements, you don't have to resort to shaky cam and wannabe Lubezki like fast camera movements which just disorient the viewer.

And the opening tracking shot was by no means elegant and it was intentionally not elegant, I just think the purpose of it is not justified by it's execution.

>Sup Forums """discussion"""

>hehe niggers hehe

wew lad

I watched it last night and I didn't find it offensively political, it was just pretty mediocre. Some of the acting is pretty bad, the camera won't stop spinning around constantly, the main character is dull and doesn't have much of an arc... No way it should be in the same conversation as Manchester by the Sea

Moonlight really had nothing to do with racism at all. It also didn't show gays in an immensely positive propaganda way, but as people

Typical topic on this site is typical.