I just learned that in English-speaking countries they don't study grammar...

I just learned that in English-speaking countries they don't study grammar, and grammar instruction classes are optional. In Russia, for instance, the Russian language lessons are 95% grammar.
Dear Anglo-Saxons: what the fuck are you doing during English classes?

Other urls found in this thread:

spellingbee.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's almost like Russian is over-complicated grammatically speaking whereas English is more arbitrary nonsense than strict rules

yo nigga that grammar shit be wack I put what words I want where I want bitch ass cabbage eating motherfucker

Who told you that? 80% of the work I did in English class K-12 was grammar and vocabulary.

English teachers here mostly just talk about stuff and tell you to write an essay.
For example my second semester in college my teacher was a vegan, sk she talked about factory farming, milk products, fishing etc told us how they are all evil and said we have to write a 10 page paper about animal issues.
Surely enough half the class wrote about why we must all go vegan.

[iːt ʃit]

We learn grammar but yeah I think starting around highschool the focus in English class starts to be more and more literature? Its always a mix of grammar and literature.

There is also the growing issue that grammar is kinda a backwards way of looking at language. The rules of grammar are completely artificial, the way people naturally speak (according to their culture and upbringing) is real grammar and doesn't need to be taught.

In my 8th grade english class, we litterally sat around and did nothing.

The teachers are unionized so, they don't really give a shit.

That class was 2 hours long every day.

She would eat 2 Burger King Whoppers a day in front of us, and was obese,

We were not allowed to eat in class.

This was a 100k-140k a year job (with inflation + benefits).

We watched shrek about 10-20 times that year for class, and me my two middle class / wealthy friends would tease the weird kid from the trailer park.

I mean, as far as I searched, grammatical instruction is all about "place comma if subordinate clause stands before principal clause", phonetic analysis and other stuf usual for Russian lessons. But again, this subject is not accepted in many public schools' curriculum, so I'm wondering what's left for mandatory classes.
Interesting. I suspect that literature course is integrated into English classes, right?
Kinda agree with the point about backwardness of grammar approach. It brings up generations of people who believe the a language is a still structure and anyone who violates the rules must be burnt at the stake.

If you go a CSU (california state Uni) here your required to take 2-4 courses in English, if your in economics/accounting/business.

The classes even at a college level are jokes, because of all the foreigners.

I write like dogshit, but at list I don't write in Chinglish, and write way better than mexicans, who can usually not write in either language (spanish has even more simple writing rules than in English).

Heh. I remember being at Old English class in university when some English-speaking teacher came into the room and stumbled across modern English transcriptions having no idea what they meant.

You learn grammar as kid in UK. Our grammar is much more straight-forward with less non-logical rules (i.e we don't have gendered words). We spend most of our time analzying literature (RUAE) and writing in different fashions (i.e. essays, novels, persuasive & documenting)

this

>Kinda agree with the point about backwardness of grammar approach. It brings up generations of people who believe the a language is a still structure and anyone who violates the rules must be burnt at the stake.
Lol, so true.

Native English speakers, when you learned to read and write, did you feel natural writing English words as the pronunciation is way different than the written words? do English kids make mistakes in writing? Im curious. Finnish is 100% phonetic so there is no need to think how something is written and pronounced

Grammar is taught from roughly around kindergarten to the 3rd grade, then it shifts entirely to spelling. If English was not invaded by the Normans and Danes it have a reliable consistent phonetic inventory, but it doesn't, so we have to spend excessive time on spelling. Learning how to speak English isn't a big deal (naturally for native speakers) but matching up the phonetics to a very inconsistent spelling system is what tricks native speakers more than foreigners.

In the case of the USA and other high-immigration destinations, we also use our school system as assimilation factories. Native speakers and immigrants alike are thrown into the same classes, which means that every base has to be covered. We're not just teaching native speakers here, we're also teaching kids who grew up their first 4 years speaking Polish, Spanish, Mandarin, and Hindi. It's very stressful on the school system but the alternative is to let these immigrants run around without ever assimilating, which is dangerous. We're not the UK/Netherlands/Belgium/France.

kinda answered your post without even knowing you made it
but yes that's pretty much it, which is why we have spelling bees for our own language

spellingbee.com/

>Our grammar is much more straight-forward with less non-logical rules (i.e we don't have gendered words).
Genders do serve a function when it comes to pronouns and clarifying what the subject/object/etc. is when there are multiple subject/objects/etc. being mentioned in the same sentence, but honestly I feel like learning a gender for each noun isn't worth the trouble for such a small level of clarification. We can just infer which pronoun is which from the context of the sentence, even if it's a tiny bit of a trouble and you have to keep paying attention to the speaker (you should be anyway, unless you're a dick)

>do English kids make mistakes in writing
Well why do think they have spelling contests

t. Raul Hernandez

Here in Burgerland it's fucked. In high school it'd be read a designated book or two and write an essay on it. When school starts back up you're given one or two books to read over the course of the semester to go over, and if you're not in the "Honors" or Advanced Placement(AP) classes you read it out loud in class with other students. Honors and AP classes have material that is related a bit to the topic whatever topic you're learning in English that year so you go over those and annotate it. AP classes were a bit better but all levels of English class still focused on making essays and "learning" vocabulary that one should already know. Oh and as to what the topic is, my school is a part of the International Studies School Network, so in order for students to be "globally competent" they'd pick bizarre books alongside the literature classic required reading. Such as a book titled What is the What, the Good Earth, and Things Fall Apart. Although I have to admit parts of The Good Earth were Interesting and I liked the ending to Things Fall Apart. At times the classic reading would be stuff such as Brave New World and Lord of the Flies but I I think they're now trying to push the globally competent thing. Since They don't know how to define it it's just more books located in Africa or about the Middle East and the subjugated women in that area. Senior year you pick a book from a selection of classics in certain regions across all continents so you were able to at least find some good books to read from that list.

we learn words like the chinese, the writing makes a shape that 'feels' like how it is supposed to sound

>one or two books to read over the course of the semester to go over
What the hell.
We had one or two books in a week.
It was supposed that you read all needed books in the summer.

>Anglo-Saxons

Celto-Germanic MUTTS*

it depends on the teacher. I've had English teachers who explained things very well and could answer questions I had about grammar, whereas others couldn't even distinguish certain parts of speech. the problem is that for every "rule" in English, there are 20 exceptions, so it actually makes teaching English difficult because you can't give a lesson about principles of the language without running into several instances where the logic of such a principle is completely defied. I recall my second grade teacher explaining that the reason "won't" is not instead "willn't" is just that "it sounds wrong".
not at first, but I eventually got the hang of it. you start to notice that, for example, certain vowels usually make the same sound next to a particular consonant (although there are always exceptions). I don't know if other English speakers do this, but I have a way of memorizing spellings by thinking of how they would be pronounced if the sounds were more normal. for example, when I am writing the word "vehicle", I hear the sounds of the syllable "hi" similar to "hee" and "cle" as "clay" rather than omitting the sounds as when the word is spoken. still, I'll encounter words I don't recognize and won't know how to pronounce them, and can only make an educated guess. so it's just a lot of memorizing, unfortunately.

>France
Rightful German CLAY*

We do a test and have to make at least 20 annotations every few chapters so it's more to have students not just fuck around during the summer. Although during the school year we read two or three books with a chapter or two a week. Then we discuss in class what happened, talk about our vocabulary, and watch videos and read articles about the work. I'm pretty sure I'm forgetting a lot more stuff but let's see if I can find an example from my old school for the current hgih scho students.

In Dutch education analysing sentences, spelling and grammar, especially word orders, is done year after year. It never stops. Which is important if you want to study foreign languages.

Literature is done in a separate class.

Hey Jacques, what can you tell about la grammaire française?

*high school
Damn mobile phone. Anyways here's the first part of a two part post. Looks like they took away the test for this year for some weird reason.
>AP and Honors Summer Reading Grades 10,11, and 12
>The good news is that there will be no test on any summer reading book.
>Instead, we want you to
read and react to the assigned books by annotating them either directly (if you own the book) or with post-it notes. Also, we require that you complete a handwritten dialectical journal with at least twenty entries spanning the entire course of the novel with a quote or paraphrase, page number, and a specific, thorough connection to a deeper concept, such as characterization, theme,
symbolism, etc. Quality quotes and connections are lengthy, thorough, and analytical.

I never understood grammar fascism, especially when slangs and regional grammars exist.

>Your annotated copy of your book AND complete dialectical journal are due on the first day of school, no matter which semester your class is in or it counts as a zero for this assignment.
>Advanced Placement assignments require additional work as noted below. YOU MUST HAND DELIVER THIS TO YOUR TEACHER AND ENSURE SHE/HE HAS CHECKED OFF YOUR NAME!
>For a sample dialectical journal, annotation, and rubric, use this link: [Link redacted]
>Please check the website for a sample annotation, list of assignments by level, and rubric.
>Sophomore Honors: A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini -
>Junior Honors Challenge: Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
>Junior Advanced Placement Language and Composition: Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
(it will be available for 20% off from Longfellow by late May); COMPLETE A DIALECTICAL JOURNAL FOR AMERICANAH and annotate it; your journal should have approximately one entry for every 15 or so pages (it is a 588 page book).
>In addition, you must read three choice books at the adult reading level and complete specific reading logs for each found here: [Link redacted] One must be non-fiction and they can be written in any language.
>Senior Honors Challenge: Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston
>Senior Advanced Placement Literature and Composition: Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston AND Bless Me, Ultima by Rudolfo Anaya. >The assignment in depth is here:[Link redacted]
>Honor Code: Students must complete their own work and not copy from others, web sites etc.
>Students who violate this will receive a zero on the summer reading assignment 1

How do you explain the word order of French or the changing suffixes in German to someone who hasn't mastered grammar?

Like this. Also checked.

Thanks for the example. Interesting.

But do you have enough time for "classic" American literature in school? Or is it all multi culti?

It depends on the year. It's not in the rules but usually you're meant to read at least one classic every year and it may be American. Oh yeah and alongside those I think three out of the four years I was there we would also have to do Shakespeare. But yeah mostly it's multi culti now.

They study Reddit

Lol wut ar yoo tawkin abowt? We nevr mayd mistayx wen we wer kids lernin how tu spell

Don't really remember too well but I know I never did any grammar work from y7 onwards (around 11-12 years old I think)
After that it was how to write an essay or making speeches analysing poetry and literature.

Also English class was seen as a bit of a meme where we all didn't put in any effort and could still do alright.
Funnily enough I went to a so called "Grammar School"

it's mainly because many words in English are borrowed and they sometimes use the original pronuciation. For example Arkansas and Kansas.

We read, discuss, and interpret literature and poetry

Also how to write bullshit five paragraph essays, until we reach tenth grade and learn to write bullshit seven paragraph essays.