How did they manage to get literally everything what made John Wick fun wrong in the sequel?

How did they manage to get literally everything what made John Wick fun wrong in the sequel?
>JW 1
>simple, hilariously dumb premise
>short length and straight to the point
>John is a fun character because he's angry enough to murder half the city for a dog
>despite being a badass, Wick's operator skills are grounded and he often gets his ass beaten
>self-contained story

>JW 2
>longwinded premise about feuding assassin clan families in Vatican and more bs nobody cares about
>2 hours long
>John has no motivation and goes through the movie with a bored look
>he is now action god and mows people down by hundreds without a scratch despite taking no effort to conceal himself
>come check John Wick 3â„¢": Johnier and Wickierâ„¢

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3DNQJE8eHjw
youtube.com/watch?v=CTJlmlZWWHA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I wanted to like JW2

I liked JW2

I don't think we saw the same movie because John Wick 2 took everything from the first one and made it better. Can't wait for John Wick vs the World.

I did not like JW2

>my wife is a normie so I'm leaving the business to be a normie
>you killed my wife dog so I will get my revenge on you but then I'm out in respect of my wife
John Wick 2:
>fuck my wife I'm gonna kill people for no reason again xD

>>fuck my wife I'm gonna kill people for no reason again xD
"No"

They didn't.

I didn't like it as much but the fact that they gave the villain a lair in a modern art museum just so they could have visually interesting fights tells me the writers know how dumb it is

The fact that there is an international secret cabal of criminals who work under the purview of a committee that pays for services in gold dubloons and the day to day operations are run by female employees who all look like tattooed rockabilly pin up girls didn't clue you in?

do you tards not get how Roman or medieval ideology this all is and makes it 10 times better?

the society john lives in is honor bound, warriors and killers are the norm. Hes like a black knight.

Tailors= blacksmiths
rockabilly girls= gypsie/witches
laurence fishburne= wizard king monk thing

they even had princess and princes to assassinate

this movie was great

I like how they never gave him another love interest. I think that's very important considering how many other action movies feel the need to add romance in order to make the audience feel something.

the love interest is the dog

>rockabilly girls= gypsie/witches
What?

He will most certainly be fucking the mute dyke in the next movie

shes dead dude

>stabbed in the aorta
>pulled the knife out while letting Cassian have a choice like the Bowery King
wew lad

>TFW no tattooed mute qt.pie operator henchwoman working for you

they were like messengers. And constantly obtaining information. They reminded me of seers or shamans in that sense so I put them with the thought that they are witches. What did you think they represent?

Confirmed. John's only love is puppers.

2 was just trash. There were a few good scenes, but overall it was just absurd on multiple levels.

I don't see anything wrong with the whole HIGH TABLE CONTINENTAL shit, it's a fine background for the story, and the ending where Wick kills the guy anyway was reasonable.

My issue was with everything else. From the blatant double cross to the absolutely absurd "now you're invincible" suit from Q, it was just plain dumb. The action didn't even feel pressing.

The first movie was dumb fun executed well. This is like going from Die Hard 2 straight to Die Hard 4.0.

>5555
Checked and confirmed.
The dog is the love interest.

I disagree

It's kinda brilliant in that giving him another love interest is literally impossible. His entire character as we've seen him is built on the loss of his wife, moving on removes all motivation.

I liked 2 but I think 1 had more style.

The Bathhouse scene is the best fucking thing.

The music and the colors where cool.

>now you're invincible" suit from Q, it was just plain dumb

It was just an excuse for him not dying immediately whenever he was getting swarmed by goons with superior firepower. He was still taking punishment left and right and had to have his ass saved twice, once by crashing into the hotel, second time through the hobo fraternity.

Ares spin-off when?

Why didn't John just drag the italian by the shirt out of Continental and shoot him outside?

This.

Both of the times he was saved, it just felt fucking dumb, though.

You're telling me this random hobo loves his boss enough to give up an easy 7 million? And the first one was obviously just to remind the audience of the "rules" and give the characters a chance to talk when nothing needed to be said. The way to end that scene would have been Wick getting away by the skin of his teeth, not a Deus Ex Machina.

Now I'm sure you're going to tell me that smashing that window was his plan all along to get away, and he was just leading the black guy to the hotel or some shit, as if that redeems the scene from being an overall disappointment.

When you tell me that the main character is a super soldier boogeyman, I can understand. When you then have that "super" soldier getting shot 50 times by faceless mooks and only saved because of his suit and their inability to hit any of the fleshy parts, it becomes dumb. I'd rather see him fucking dodge bullets like Neo than actively get shot constantly like a shitter.

Her fucking lips are pure hhhnnnnggg. Couldn't stop staring at them in the moive.

>all that camaraderie with D'Antonio
>that respect for John Wick
>that look of resignation when she said: "Go. I got this."

Really good character. It made me feel things I didn't want to.

Anyone who liked this movie would probably love that old anime, Noir. It has the same assassin underworld premise with the Roman mythology.

Still business related, would still be illegal.

John didn't give any fucks and knew he was going to walk out those doors alive.

Anyone read "Brotherhood of the rose?" The story has a very similar concept to the Continental of John Wick. In the book by David Morrell, there are sanctuaries, no killing, and you can stay as long as you like. However, if you leave, you can't return, and if you cause problems for other guests, you're out. Any pleasure is yours within the confines of the sanctuary. It's a good thriller with assassinations, as well as strong ties to Roman myths. If I recall the protagonists code names are Romulus and Remus.

>sparing ares
>shitty ost
>public shootouts
>ignoring the rules for no reason
>IT'S JUST THE SAME YOU GUYS

what stopped him from waiting till he left the hotel?

He implied he was never going to leave, ever.

>sparing ares
Except he didn't.

lol do you think the italian mafia would allow the mob boss to stay inside the hotel forever like a pussy?that'd be even better for the plot

So some us can agree JW2 has the same problems as Matrix Reloaded (ie expanding on what was essentially a one-movie premise makes for an unsatisfying sequel) ?

>fuck my wife
When will cuck subliminal message propaganda stop?

if you had the boogeyman of the entire underworld waiting for you to step outside, then yes.

Matrix Reloaded had the issue that it wasn't a self-contained sequel, ended midway through with a cliffhanger, and had to create a ton of new mythos to justify and support the plot. JW:C2 is the opposite. It does expand the world, but as a salad dressing. The main plot is still highly straightforward and works on its own, the expansions only add depth to the plot without overstaying their welcome, and actually add interesting elements to the system under which the assassins work.

I thought the scene at the end where Winston has all those people turn around and look at John was fucking retarded

>movie gets a fair amount of praise here
>weeks later a shitty rip comes out
>suddenly tons of people saying the movie was shit
Really activated my almonds

It's the regular Sup Forums movie release cycle, especially if it's one the board anticipates.

I liked 2 but OP didn't really watch it,Just another shitposter. Can't wait for 3,kind of hoping he "dies".

if you didn't notice, john tends to end a kill with a head shot to make sure they're dead because most other people also have body armor
remember the scene where he just kills the sis and is walk out and he meets cassian and they both pull on each other but they're both find? yeah, they're both wear full body armor

also, you do know they HAVE bullet proof vest in real life right? granted it doesn't stop a rifle round but it does stop a .45

not only that, but they're just up the reward and keep sending mercs after john

the whole point of the franchise is they always underestimate him and would've done it again

it's to established how powerful winston really is
i mean his account is all fucking 1s
if anything, winston is probably one of the guys who start up the whole goddamn operation from continental to accounts payable

>It was just an excuse for him not dying immediately whenever he was getting swarmed by goons with superior firepower.
that only happened because they decided to make the movie way bigger than it should
had they remained in the us, having their shootouts at clubs/cassinos etc that wouldn't have been a problem

i don't think you know how politics work user

John Wick is a movie that shouldnt have a sequel. I have no idea why they made one. Nobody was going BUT I WANNA KNOW WHAT HAPPENS NEXT.

They literally added little or nothing to the franchise and its just 2 hours of keanu reeves rolling around and shooting people and then he goes to a bar to drink. The fuck?

actually no quite a bit of people wanted a sequel, just look at it's gross and ratings
just because you didn't want a sequel, doesn't mean other people didn't
also why did you watch the sequel if you didn't want one to began with? it's because you wanted to know what happens next right? hahah

Plenty of people wanted a prequel.

>its just 2 hours of keanu reeves rolling around and shooting people and then he goes to a bar to drink

Exactly. It was perfect.

The first one had a lot more than that. The action scenes in this were repetitive and unengaging except the "boss fight" parts. I straight up fell asleep during the Vatican catacomb shit. It never ended and he wasn't even in any sort of danger.

Narcoleptics pls go

>actually no quite a bit of people wanted a sequel, just look at it's gross and ratings
maybe normies and plebs like you

>It was just an excuse
Then don't fucking have half of NY be assassins, and Wick just blindly wandering into enemy gunfire. There's absolutely no reason for the absurd kill count in the form of guys blundering up 6 feet in front of Wick to get shot or vice versa. It sucks even as an action formula.

I'm assuming they were shoehorning a matrix reference. Just like Laurence Fishburne's appearance.

>it's to established how powerful winston really is

For who? Dumb people who didn't already understand that he was powerful? I'm not retarded I already got that he was fucking influential, I didn't need some stupid cheesy scene.

apparently we outnumber basement dwellers without tastes like you! hahahahha

>>John is a fun character because he's angry enough to murder half the city for a dog

Wouldn't you? any dog person with that set of skills would fucking avenge their dog.

Dog life > human scum life any day.

Why doesn't John Wick wear a disguise? It would have solved 99% of his problems in this movie. Fuck i'm pretty sure this is the first thing you need to know if you want to be a contract killer.

there's a difference between knowing he's influential and seeing him turn away 50+ assassins with a fucking nod, that's not just influence, that's direct power and control

>yeah, they're both wear full body armor
That's double the retardation then. Bulletproof tuxedos belong to 60's Bond films and not much else. Put on the fucking kevlar if you are trying to make operator kino.

>city of millions
>half of NY be assassins
lmao shut the fuck up, it was a couple hundred at most.

Woa edgy.

>has magic bullet proof jacket
>doesn't button it leaving all major organs exposed to bullets
>even AFTER getting shot in the stomach
Defend this. You cannot.
>inb4 muh face shield
That shit was mad gay.

Also my biggest unanswered question, was that Diane Kruger with the violin who got her arm broke and neck snapped?

>city of millions
You don't pass millions of people on the way to a fucking apartment. You pass several thousand AT MOST. Which would imply that at least .1% of the NY population are assassinos.

Not to even mention the retarded idea that most of them just sit around in the fucking street pretending to be street artists for no apparent reason.

>he is now action god and mows people down by hundreds without a scratch despite taking no effort to conceal himself

He gets knocked down, run over, stabbed, shot, etc. The only reason he survives is because he's that good, had body armor, and had help when he needed it the most, like when he was bleeding from his gut. And of course he's a ridiculous action God, that's his entire character. His backstory is that he butchered half of New York's underworld top brass in one fucking night, alone. And walked away alive.

The original was amazing, chapter 2 was pretty fucking great. Not quite as good, but still better than 99% of the action movies that come out these days. Loved the ending scene in 2, I'm hyped as fuck for 3.

You get the idea of how much power and control Winston has just from him being the owner of the fucking Continental Hotel. Keep excusing a cheesy scene that just says DUDE LOOK HOW MUCH POWER THIS GUY HAS LMAO

>The only reason he survives is because he's that good,
The only reason he survives is because mooks stop shooting as soon as he turns a corner, and run up right in front of him to get shot in the head. The action in this flick is completely laughable.

You're blowing it out of proportion. The first movie was full of hints to the universe (coins, the hotel, etc.) that have tons of potential for expansion. It's not like all this shit came out of the blue.

A more apt example of what you're upset it about is the difference between The Raid 1 and The Raid 2 Berandal.

but.... there is kevlar woven into the fabric????
did you miss the part where it actually exist in real life? jesus people on Sup Forums are dumb

>1 gold doubloon buys two drinks at the l33t assassin bar
>5 gold doubloons buys one of the fanciest custom suits in the world lined with complete bullet proof material
I don't really understand the currency values

It's a stupid universe that just happens to have well choreographed action.

Part way through I was getting bored and was thinking to myself that this would be cool if it turns out that the whole movie was actually a prequel showing the impossible job he did to get out. Obviously that doesn't make sense, but it would have been much better.

I see it that it's roughly one coin = one service. They probably could have kept drinking all night with that. Of course it's ridiculous, but that's what makes it fun. These are elite assassins operating at an insane profit level, used to luxury and VIP level service.

>there is kevlar woven into the fabric
look up what kevlar even is before making such retarded statements you mong

they make their suits out of some super durable super thin linoleum that is literally unfazed by bullets. that can fuck off, otherwise go all the way and have the sharks with the laser

Did his wife know he was a fucking badass assassin?

No fun allowed, user.
No fun allowed.

>despite being a badass, Wick's operator skills are grounded and he often gets his ass beaten
This, the first fight scene, when he's falling out of speeding cars, to when he literally has a bullet proof suit and goes Captain America. It became another action hero movie.

Just saw this movie last night, I really liked the first one but I was so underwhelmed by this.

>repetitive action scenes throughout (knee shot headshot, grapple headshot, repeat)
>poorly acted dramatic "tension" scenes that were paced terribly
>zero charm

There were some standout scenes and deaths for sure but I was just bored/exhausted by the end of it. The simplicity of the first movie was very much a lightning in a bottle situation I guess.

We're people really that entertained by medium shot after medium shot of people rolling around and getting shot in the head?

They talk about it here:
youtube.com/watch?v=3DNQJE8eHjw

tl;dr coins do not have set value, they're basically just tokens that grant you access to club-only services.
That hardly explains the markers though, these organizations have an unhealthy obsession with dumb trinkets

I liked the movie, but yes I too thought the fight choreography in this one was a bit repetitive, especially in comparison to the first one. He probably does the whole grapple headshot thing over 30 times over the course of the film.

>that great moment in the first one where he leg grapples that dude to the floor and drags him around while he shoots his friends

> he does this like 4 times in the new one, reducing the impact

Exactly, that's the kind of moment I missed in the second one. Just one bit of really cool fight choreography or move that kinda catches you off guard and has impact. Some variation.

youtube.com/watch?v=CTJlmlZWWHA

4:46 for reference. It's great because it seems like it was just improvised, as if he was taken by surprise so he had to just hit the deck and try to take him down. In the sequel it's like it's part of his average routine

>I know you just annihilated the entire russian mafia for a dog, but I'm still gonna fuck with you for no reason, burn your house, and attempt to kill you for a job my mute slut could've done anyway, I bet nothing could go wrong here
Was it retardation?

This. John didn't do anything special, and without the double cross it was a standard hit. So he did his research? What kind of special hitman doesn't?

Really lame antagonist

And wtf was up with mute slut and her build up over the whole movie culminating in a 60 second fight scene where she basically dies instantly? No payoff at all

John Wick 1 sucked too

I wanted to fuck that mute slut so bad.

I was so into the second movie that I got vertigo and almost vomited when the bad guy's sister killed herself. You're just depressed and incapable of enjoying things now.

hubris

Man from nowhere > John Wick

Facts