No really, what DID they mean?

No really, what DID they mean?

Dude open to interpretation lmao

dude symbolism lmao

The monolith represents the futile human desire to find meaning in nothing ie. Space, a black frame in a film, the monolith itself

dude i need everything spelled out for me via cosmic irony or poetic justice so i can say DAT ENDING lmao

dude im a hack lmao

dude acid trip lmao

dude i didn't understand a simple movie so i'll post ironically about it until the plot is explained to me lmao

You have to go to space for yourself to find out ;)

Its the black goo from prometheus

man tried to cross the universe, just ended up fucking as a fucking turbocuck

It's a Gaussian surface except in reverse

Something something aliens something something evolution. Also the ending was going to have the space baby blow up the satellite nukes orbiting earth to mirror the advanced chimps defeating the primitive chimps in the beginning, but Kubrick just did Dr. strange love and wanted to avoid repeating himself

dude its a movie screen lmao

read nietzsche

its pretty obvious the monoliths represent evolution, they show up at key developmental points in mankind's history, like the first use of tools, and the one on the moon signals the discovery of ai. The next two are showing mankind a higher plane of existence or something.

At least it still happened in the book.

Infinite doorway to knowledge

BRAVO NOLAN

loss.jpg

BIG

what's the symbolism here?

WAT

Why does the vagina kill all the sperm on that asteroid? Does HAL represent a condom?

beard=wisdom
brahm=brahp
The child is laughing because he has just discovered that the path of brahps is the wisest.

What? What asteroid? Who was killed by a monolith?

You can either view it as simply a symbol meant to show the audience "this is another leap in human evolution", or you can view it as an avatar of higher life forms that are giving humans the necessary catalysts for that evolution, a la Promethean fire.

He himself is the alien

HAL was not controlled or taken over by the monolith

Probably something along the lines of

And these don't even get into the HAL/sentience parts of the story

2001 is a fairly simple story overall, but there's a lot to unpack and it obviously wants you to try unpacking it

I don't frequent Sup Forums but can anyone recommend more movies with WTF/off-the-wall endings, without necessarily spoiling the entire movie by doing so

>2001 is a fairly simple story overall
not at all
the "surface" story about the jump in human evolution has very little to do with the mystery of the monolith. A lot of scenes are also not very relevant to telling this story, yet are included

Arthur C Clarke wrote like 3 sequels about them.

They're alien artefacts that are sentient and are eventually used to try and wipe out humanity.

It's not open to interpretation. All the symbols had very specific meanings.

The space pilot who survives represents human destiny. His journey is a metaphor for undergoing gnosis.

The black monoliths represent the Demiurge/law/Jehovah.

The monkeys at the beginning symbolize cain and abel and shows the caananites as a murderous tribe

HAL = IBM (move each letter up 1)

space baby = "new man" after gnosis

BBC being worshiped by two tiny white woman with a sofa for the cuck to sit and watch.

Kubrick is a prophet in 2001, telling us that only by surviving our future attempts to enslave artificial intelligence, will humanity ever evolve past its current state.

Monkey meets monolith turns them into humans

Human finds monolith in space
Turns them into SpaceBaby

>all these people have no idea that the book it was made in tandem with explains every fucking thing

The book contains the story and the movie contains the relevant visuals. If you want to ignore the book and try and insert your own shit onto the movie you are welcome, but the book is right there and gives you the complete story.