Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

what was the point of this character?

To make you like the movie, since he's the best character.

And to allow things to be explained to the audience without coming off as exposition I suppose.

You need someone to explain what the fuck is going on and a natural way to do it is having a character "from the outside". Harry Potter had Harry Potter in this place, and most viewers remember those movies, but Fantastic Beasts has different enough setting to confuse them at least in some parts.

It allows the audience to self insert into the movie.

he is us

He is equivalent of Sid or Donkey or Dory or Olaf

He's literally only in there so JK can explain what an Obscurus is "naturally". Before she could do that with Harry because Harry was an ignorant idiot even after 6 years of magical schooling.

>doesn't know most of this wizard shit
>drooling over the blonde
Who do you think?

>drooling over the blonde
that's me

> Exposition
> To expand the universe, showing how humans could relate to wizards in a very controlled world
> Comic relief

The fact that the film ends with a frame of him smiling goes to show that JK probably had the most fun writing this character, the reason why he is probably the most likeable.

To carry the rest of the shit cast.

He is based

But aren't we the awkward friendless autist?

Why was there a black LeStrange?

Was Newt supposed to be autistic? Always mumbling something incoherent. Several "y-you too" moments. There seemingly wasn't a person who he actually made eye contact with.
He had little to no character and considering that next movies won't even be about him that some bizarre and awful portrayal of him.

Newt was played perfectly, and he had a very well defined character. If you didn't like him, Redmayne did his job, and he's an actor I really fucking hate.

The only strange thing was him getting the girl in the end.

>To make you like the movie, since he's the best character.
This. Only character with any depth.

>Was Newt supposed to be autistic?

Yes. If you've ever spent time with zoo keepers, he's incredibly accurate.

And he had far more character than Harry. Hell, he had more character than all of the main 3 in HP.

no - he is the mysterious character, we learn stuff about him through the fat man. If we saw the movie just through him, there would be too many unanswered questions, and you know how normies feel about leaving a movie with questions unanswered

>The only strange thing was him getting the girl in the end.

Not strange for an attractive guy to get the girl, especially when said girl is actually uglier than him.

He really loves magical dodos and is extremely autistic about them, that's all there is to him also something about his brother which isn't even explored, just thrown in.

I'm not comparing him to Potter, just talking about him. This isn't a lot. A lot if this was the first movie though.

IS THAT MY MAIN MAN RANDYYY DAYTONAAAA?

>omething about his brother which isn't even explored, just thrown in.

Sounds like Rowling.

He's a shy vulnerable autist with a maternal nature who favors the company of animals because people find him annoying (hinting that he has trouble connecting with them due to his autism) and he was betrayed by his first love, but is shown to have a quiet sort of confidence when in his comfort zone and is willing to man up in order to help others. His motivation is to be a writer and enlighten the world about fantastic beasts, which everyone seems to be incredibly ignorant about, and to hopefully amount to something to his family since his brother is clearly the beloved decorated war hero while he's just some awkward nerd.

I mean you can summarize any character in one sentence in an attempt to make them sound depthless, like here: Jacob is the fat comic relief who wants to be a baker and gets the hot blonde in the end.

>uglier than him

This. So much this. My god what a ugly jew, Newt could fuck any gal in the entire world and he went with that shit.

Also the point of the fat fuck was being a useless unfunny sack of shit fuck everyone who liked this movie

>and considering that next movies won't even be about him

They will, the "he'll be out of focus" shit was just said by the retarded producers. Rowling clarified he's still the central protagonist of this series

Just as you can make a bloated description of a character to make him seem deeper that he is. By paraphrasing one idea. Like this for instance.

> but is shown to have a quiet sort of confidence when in his comfort zone and is willing to man up in order to help others

Translates to - autistic about beasts. He's obviously passionate about his animals and loves to talk about them with whom ever but if you think this saying several times somehow builds on top of his character you are wrong.

Yes. He loves his beasts and wants to protect them because he loves them, so he writes the book so he can protect them because he loves them. It's all the same information circulating around his same conviction.

It doesn't matter in the end. I was under that was it for him and he will have like a cameo in the next. But if it's not all for him. It's indeed a pretty good development for a first movie.

what's the point of this movie? it sucked balls like your mom last night

>Translates to - autistic about beasts

No it doesn't, it translates to him being confident when in his element (in his suitcase) and able to man up in order to help others like Credence. Also note how he looked Grindelwald directly in the eyes at the end of the movie. You sound like you're trying very hard to simplify a character for some reason.

how did they go from goofballs running around in robes with stars on it to this /fa/ as fuck swaglord with his hitler youth haircut?

By setting the movie in America

Yes it does. What you think because he likes being in his preserve with his animals is not because he loves them why do you think it's some kind of different aspect?

Oh, because he's extremely talkative there? The reason why he talks is to explain both to fat guy and audience what the fuck is going and who are them, you don't know what he does there alone, we never see him there alone. It's still "loves them beasts" category.

He isn't an interesting character. I knew before watching, that he loves magical and rare animals and that's all his character was, it never dives down why so. Just that he's extremely passionate about it. Which isn't a new information. I know it will do so in the next movies. So I am okay with the amount that we got in this one.

You might find him interact I don't, the fact that he had a fallout with some one from Harry Potter movies doesn't do anything for me. Doesn't really help that no one for the whole duration of movie really challenges his love for animals. Grindelwald does but then again it's because he a CGI death in the bubble that same CGI thing that recently killed someone.

to fuck newt's boipussi

>normie doesn't understand how autists work

He was a good friend

That's going to be Credence's job in the next film, where he will be the Draco to Newt's Harry, only with less rivalry and more mommykink.

>I knew before watching, that he loves magical and rare animals and that's all his character was, it never dives down why so. Just that he's extremely passionate about it.

Idk, do you need a reason to like posting on Sup Forums? Do you need to explain to people why you prefer chocolate ice cream over vanilla? Why does every hobby or interest have to have tragic backstory?

Everyone fucking challenges his love for animals you idiot. You can tell because literally every time he talks the rest of the characters look at him like he's retarded. no one in the movie gives a shit about animals other than him and he only begins to connect to people when they open up and show compassion toward his beasts

Why don't wizards need to use magic words to cast spells anymore?

0/10

>fish out of water trope
It's a form plot exposition, new friend.
You probably enjoy the films of Wes Anderson

good question

>captcha: select street signs
>there's only a wallmart billboard
>click it, it accepts
>this is the way we are training self driving cars

>great as a villainous character
>will now be played by a potato

Cool. But you still didn't answer my question.

was wondering this too. Also everyone can teleport now and even take others with them without effort? Didn't they make like the first half hour of HP4 about them teleporting together via some object?

cuck contrast

making every other character look "better" by comparison and the writer look worse for needing to do so.

experienced wizards don't need to chant unless it's a particularly challenging spell.

american wizards are all about subtlety and staying hidden in plain sight so they learn nonverbal spellcasting very early on.

british wizards are kind of dumb.

Apparating has always been a thing. It's just that you only learn it in 6th year which is why Harry and his friends only start teleporting in the 7th movie

>yet jacob was the emotional center of the movie

okay

anyone else find there were kind bait-ish undertones with the "americans have strange opinions about wizards marrying non-wizards" theme? Obviously this is supposed to be some clever criticism of gay or interracial marriage or something

But Jacob wasn't a cuck, he got to hook up with the hottest girl and became best friends with the second hottest girl.

>females in this movie
>"hot"

even redmayne was prettier than those hags

>redmayne was prettier than those hags

Of course, hence why I referred to him as the second hottest girl.

redmayne is often prettier than his female costars

no homo

You seriously think that those examples equate to his passion? I don't want tragic I just want any other reason but "I really fucking like them"

A hobby for collecting certain magical species doesn't immediately translates into interesting character.

Fuck off. No one does. They take away his suitcase because they think he's responsible for that guys death. Because Goldstien says it's him who is responsible for havoc. Not because Mr. Newt is not allowed to have this fucking case full of creatures, he's only in trouble because he lets some of them lose and had a bad timing arriving in New York not for having it.

No one would gave a shit if that mole didn't start stealing. He would've went to Arizona, that's all. And no one gave a shit in the end too, they cared more about the fat guy getting memory wipe than his suitcase. There isn't even a single line about letting him keep the case because he helped them mindfuck the whole town, they never cared.

Even Grindelwald, when you think about it really didn't, it was just an excuse to set him. For some reason. His actions were really irrational for the course of the whole movie.

Yes. As soon as someone shares his passion he begins to like them it's all comes back to his "hobby."

>Obviously this is supposed to be some clever criticism of gay or interracial marriage or something

It's a pretty fucking obvious criticism.

what are you expecting from this story? a straightforward, uncomplicated character isn't always a bad character

>I just want any other reason but "I really fucking like them

It's because he's an autist who feels more comfortable around animals and has difficulty connecting with people. Christ.

One can only hope that Depp unJUSTs himself like Hamill did

This little Jimmy, is what we call a "straight man". He exists in any good Sci fi or fantasy setting so he can have shit explained to him. Luke was the straight man in star wars (just a dumb backwoods farmer), neo was the straight man in the matrix. It's goes on and on

>Are you a seeker
>I'm really more of a chaser

You must be fucking crazy if you think for one second I'm going to believe this obvious Slytherin played Quidditch.

I only called him "bad" because I heard that this was the only movie where he will be prominent figure. I was told that this is just a bad choice of words. If "straightforward and uncomplicated" what Rowling wanted, she wouldn't even bothered with throwing in those bits about his friend and brother, these succinct, pointless for the story and the character facts just left wondering, why?, if they were gonna drop him. I still don't find him interesting.

>I just want any other reason but "I really fucking like them"

like what sort of reason? do you want a hokey flashback of a sloth saving his life when he was a kid? or scenes of him retardedly protecting a kitten while being stomped on by bullies?

>this obvious Slytherin

Newt is about as Hufflepuff as someone could get.

does quidditch require anyone to be muscular? you just sit on a broom.

beaters maybe but everyone else doesnt really do anything athletic

I am so pissed at Farrell being replaced by Depp.

Yeah, mate. Just hyperbolize. Any background can only be a cliche flashback, nothing interesting can be done. Now, loving them because he's unsocial, which is really debatable thing, considering he had a friend, with no expansion on this whatsoever, is infinitely better.

>I still don't find him interesting.

That's because you are a pleb.

DULLEST

He's le ebin audience proxy exposition receiving man

>fat stupid American character to explain everything to the fat stupid American audience

I couldn't even finish the movie.

>Europe vs America
>men vs women
>muggles vs wizards
>humans vs creatures
>religious vs everyone

Fuck that forced divisional propaganda.

>fat stupid American character

If you had actually tried watching this movie you'd find he's not just simple retarded character relief.

Mandatory racemixing shitromance.

is it just me or is this film really bizarre in a subtle way

watching it it just feels like something is not quite right about it. it's obvious j.k. rowling is missing the necessary experience as a screenwriter.

i'm only 40 minutes in but there's been hardly any character development and all the characters (and the world itself) feel strange and alien despite the fact that we should know them much better by now.

and the characters have a certain intimacy with each other (and the audience with them) that doesn't feel earned yet. these are still strangers.

the pace is far too fast, and yet the film is over 2 hours long.

I agree
those theres many good segments and I was somewhat emotional attcached. It lacks something in the overall story. A feeling, like a sense of adventure.

Maybe if the plot about the children was handled better.
Maybe if the climax duel was something in the style of dumbledore vs Voldemort battle.
Instead of nameless sparks that flies from a wand that just get deflected easily

It's worse than all the HP films. Like you said for me little to care about, the characters and story doesn't really have a good progression, there's no focus on main characters enough to warrant a good climax. It is pretty good the first half but I must say a shit climax something HP excelled in. Visually meh as well when Yates others had been very nice. Kloves was actually underrated in getting the material to work cinematically. HP was very well paced and tight to me thematically. Fantastic Beasts needed more focus on Newt and the cast besides him and Kowalski was really just lackluster

>and the characters have a certain intimacy with each other (and the audience with them) that doesn't feel earned yet

if anything i thought this was one of the things the film got right.

if you notice even at the end the characters are still kinda awkward around each other. tina and newt are autistic fucks. jacob doesnt go with them at the end. newt leaves friendless. they didnt really pledge loyalties to each other.

i found that pretty neat.

i think though the dinner scene went on way too long because yates is obsessed with le awkward humor. that, coupled with the jarring scenes of the hunchback kid being abused immediately following whimsical scenes with beasts are what amounted to the strange pacing in the film.

>Sirius "Black"