Who is more important in making a movie good - the director or the writer?

Who is more important in making a movie good - the director or the writer?

I'd go with the writer. If the script is shit, there's not much a director can do to make the movie good, but if the movie has a good script, it's easy to forgive a lot of shortcomings on the director's part.

Director.

Buck stops with the director and a good director can turn a mediocre screenplay into gold

Doesn't the director have editing privileges?

Writer. Everytime.
Director just takes the credit of everything.

A director can literally leave out entire sections of the script and interpret parts of the story however he wants. The writer has no control over the final film.

A director who does what the writer wants

It is an objective FACT that the director is more important.

You can take the same script and make completely different films based on that one script.
You even posted a prime example in your pic, Sicario. The script and the narrative is nothing special, but the technical execution achieved by Villeneuve made it a great film.
Fury Road would be the most boring generic action flick if the script didn't land in George Miller's hands.

Film is a visual medium and the written narrative is just one element of the whole.

Explain the shining

Director. No question about it.
I have to wonder if you're actually shitposting, or just know nothing about filmmaking. You've got it entirely backwards.
The quality of the script almost doesn't matter, the director's execution is everything.
This.

A talented director can turn anything into a good film.

I know nothing about filmmaking.

Good on you for admitting it, instead of just calling me a faggot.
Honestly, you don't need to have technical knowledge. The more films you watch, the more apparent it becomes how large the gap can be between a script and the actual thing. The director's approach can vary greatly between individuals, some follow it to the letter, but a script is really not necessarily anything other than a set of vague guidelines.
If you're really interested, I recommend you read some scripts, preferably films you haven't seen, try to imagine what it looks and feels like, and then watch them. Of course, the descriptiveness of a script can also vary, as the director's interpretation of it. Some might be very close in execution to what you might have imagined, others will be near unrecognizable. Most fall somewhere in-between.

>dem 5.11 gloves

Kek, Im not even a fat /k/ommando, but Id never buy gloves from that company.

It is plenty of good movies with bad scripts but I don't recall any good movie with terrible direction unless we count as good those movies that you name "Well, the story was alright"

>not being a writer/director super combo

But really, everyone is important to the process. Editing particularly. I think having a good dop is better than a good director. Most scripts get butchered into something different to what the writer wanted most of the time anyway.

composer, I think. remove the music, and you lose almost all of the emotional impact (unless the director is GOAT-tier, which is rare).

on the other hand, good soundtrack can turn any scene into gold.

>director isn't the writer

The writers. The writers strike a couple of years ago should have made that obvious. Fucking TV show hosts couldn't even do a 40min Show without written material. Even some as silly as presenting an award became cringe worthy without a written 30 sec monologue

You can make a good movie with a not so good script, but you simply can't make a good movie with just a good script and bad everything else.

Is it important? Yes, but it's just as important as any other filmmaking element.

The director makes the movie.
The writer makes the script.
The director is more important in making a good movie
The writer is more important in making a good script
A script is not a movie

Film is a director's medium.

A script is basically just a plan for a movie. Having a good plan is important, but the execution will always be more important for a good outcome.

>caring about directors
>not being pleb

pick one only

>caring about anything other than directors
>not being pleb

pick one only

why? their pants are pretty fucking great.

Good Scripts are ruined by bad directors

Good directors salvage bad scripts

Bad directors will ruin good screenplays.
Good directors will save bad ones.

Where can you find the scripts

Here. Use it well, and remember, with great power comes great responsibility.

>check your director privilege shitlord