Which Les Miserabes should I watch the 1998 one or the 2012 one. I really don't like musicals

Which Les Miserabes should I watch the 1998 one or the 2012 one. I really don't like musicals.
But if you all aknowledge that the 2012 one is a work of art and it's far superior to the 1998 one. I will watch the musical instead.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7dFIz5ZG4DQ
youtube.com/watch?v=IjoZrND1wMg
youtube.com/watch?v=86lczf7Bou8
youtube.com/watch?v=F4hWR6QD1D4
youtube.com/watch?v=xxtcQKZwn3E
youtu.be/TcjnyKCQg_M
youtube.com/watch?v=g7EDZVFnNuE
youtube.com/watch?v=42IQ29b8YIU
youtube.com/watch?v=o4inRylmudA
youtube.com/watch?v=UQJT-qZjos8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Bump

Read the book. Then, read Ayn Rand.

2012 is shit, and I like musicals. Watch 1998 instead.

I don't read books, Im an unculltured swine sadly.

The French one with Deparidieu and Malkovich

>board called Sup Forums - Television & Film
>posters constantly tell you to read books instead

inb4 quastfag

The 1998 one is better if you like dark dramas, then the 2012 is better if you like musicals. In the 1998 one, when Jean arrives at the inn, there's a scene where the dirty innkeeper who's raising Cosette is like "do you... want her to play on your lap, sir?" it's much darker, while there is some comedy in the 2012 (Master of the House)

Thanks fellow anons, I'll definitely check out the 1998 version!

You should watch THE MEANING OF THE LAW

>Jean: yes it means I'm free!
>Javert: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

IT MARKS YOU A DANGEROUS NUN

>Schönberg & Boublil

yawwwwwnnnn.

wake me up when someone makes a thread about Jake Gyllenhaal in Sunday in the Park.

Les Mis 1998 is a drama with no singing, more closely tied to the books and realistic. Pretty good and Rush is amazing.

The 2012 is an adaptation of the musical, which I personally think is fantastic, probably thanks to nostalgia. Basically, if you like the story of Les Mis and it hits you emotionally, you'll be okay with the 98 movie but the musical with hit you in the sadness department.

Ignore the "Russel Crowe" was bad shills. He wasn't great, but as long as you ignore the memes you'll be fine with him. Anne Hathoway's "I Dreamed a Dream" will also get the waterworks going as long as you don't have a heart of stone.

and that ending
my god
youtube.com/watch?v=7dFIz5ZG4DQ

>come with me, where chains will never bind you

They did it so well. I've always been a sucker for the musical.

>tfw failed an audition to play Enjolras and gave up acting forever

damn...

watch the 10th anniversary recording of the musical.

This. 10th > Original Cast > 25th => movie.

A good idea, but that's a concert, w/o most of the storyline. Better to watch that after a proper version. And I liked the 25th version myself. When I saw a black guy as Javert I rolled my eyes, but he really was amazing and memorable.

Man Hathaway is great in this.

her fighting back tears during I Dreamed A Dream was amazing

The musical and the novel are two separate identities. All versions of the musical are the same, with the same music, aren't they?

>javert nowhere to be seen on the barricade
It's not fair

>All versions of the musical are the same, with the same music, aren't they
No, the 25th has some added stuff. Personally I think it's pointless exposition, for people who can't follow a story without every facet being explained to them.

>I Dreamed A Dream
my preferred version: youtube.com/watch?v=IjoZrND1wMg

The concert is only the more popular songs. There are bits and pieces of storyline that are left out. It's like a "greatest hits" of Les Mis. The 10th and 25th concerts are not plays themself. They are concerts. So you could maybe piece together the plot but you should watch the two movies first, then the concerts imo.

Fuck you, I didn't want to cry this afternoon. I got into Les Miserables during an awful time in my life.

>tfw tomorrow comes

;_;

All your pain, at last, at last, behind you

That Javert was obviously the best. Having that anger and principal in the singing is essential to playing the role.

2:40
youtube.com/watch?v=86lczf7Bou8
damn

Cats are garbage, but really, holy shit, what an omission

Stop it. I've already had an emotional weekend.

>tfw Ramin Karimloo as Valjean

youtube.com/watch?v=F4hWR6QD1D4

Only love is everlasting my friend
don't forget

>I really don't like musicals.
Fuck off

youtube.com/watch?v=xxtcQKZwn3E

The theme of the show is mercy vs law. Mercy won. Javert represents law. Therefore, he's not invited to the barricade.

An incredibly protestant Christian message in my father's opinion.

>The theme of the show is mercy vs law. Mercy won. Javert represents law. Therefore, he's not invited to the barricade.
exactly right

Why wasn't he cast as Javert?
youtu.be/TcjnyKCQg_M

youtube.com/watch?v=g7EDZVFnNuE

Please stop posting youtube links.

>dance pop remix

I'm not clicking that shit

Why? This board is about movies, why not post relevant video links?

its a musical
talking only goes so far

youtube.com/watch?v=42IQ29b8YIU

>Mercy won
>Therefore, no mercy for Javert

>I'm not clicking that shit
it's surprisingly good
I love it when creative people compose variations on a melody

This is an imageboard not a videoboard. You must respect others' internet accessibility.

Lyrics are okay to post. Youtube links imply a certain privilege.

He committed suicide I don't think christians allow suiciders in heaven I think he went to hell

lol bait
you went too far

youtube.com/watch?v=o4inRylmudA

How much of a dum phoneposter could you be?

Yeah I know
I just feel bad for him

What the fuck was with that loud crack sound in the 2012 movie when he hit the wall? It's such an emotional scene but it's pretty hilarious.

just to make it clear what happened

Well they did show his body get sucked under the current. Come on dude, it's terrible.

youtube.com/watch?v=UQJT-qZjos8

It sounds like a sound effect from The Elder Scrolls. Wow

I think it genuinely is.

oh I agree
just guessing why

2012 for javerts final scene

I like the Christian themes in this movie, but I can't say I'm too fond of the pinko themes of overthrowing the government just because poor people exist.

>I like the part where they praise an invisible voice in the sky but I hate the part about helping real people

>1998
Decent.
>2012
Bastardization of the musical.

Watch the 10th anniversary concert.

>the french revolution was about helping people

DEATH TO THE BOURGEOISIE

>he thinks Les Misérables is about the French Rev

The Les Mis musical was written by a pair of jews. The music is good and the christian values are nice but the underlying satanic messages will always be part of the story, unfortunately.

>redpill overdose: the post

You can help people without overthrowing the government. This is a show about a bunch of spoiled rich kids using their summer break to lock themselves in a barricade they've constructed using furniture they've stolen from their favorite bar, and then they stick their guns out and threaten to shoot anyone who dares separate them from their barricade. At least, that's how I interpreted the show.

I'm Jewish, brah. I just have an admiration for Christianity's morality and culture. And I assume the folks behind this show do too. Hell, you ever notice how many Christmas songs are written by Jews?

>This is a show about a bunch of spoiled rich kids using their summer break to lock themselves in a barricade
hmmmmmmmm....

>I'm Jewish, brah

Really makes me think.

Really makes me cry.

>Really makes me cry.
Then live as yourself
My friend

So Marius PontMERCY won

>not mentioning Redmayne's "Empty Chairs"

Anyone else think its funny that, despite all the fuss, it's based on the 19thC French equivalent of Occupy Wall Street that would never have been remembered if not for the book/musical?