EFL General - English as a Foreign Langague

Welcome to the EFL General. This website has many Anglso and non-English as a first language users who find themselves tripped up by the English language. This thread is dedicated to helping both gain a better grasp of English and to answer any questions.

Hallo, me want to spik inglish to get fuck amerikan virgin boi. How do?

"Hello, I want to speak English to fuck American virgin. How do?"
Here helped you there m8, do you have any more questions for Mr. user?

Clarify the use of 'of' and when it's not used.

Can you clarify by going in depth a little bit more and provide a specific example so I can help you better?
It's used to indicated belonging, connection or relation. It is a preposition like 'to' and 'for'.
"I went skiing in the winter of 2016"
"Here is a photo of me and my friends"
or
"I got only like three hours of sleep last night cause I was too busy shitposting"

show boipussy pls
i love u

Explain the usage of "than" and "then". Thanks in advance, senpai

Than and then are some of the worst parts of english - they are homophones, words that are pronounced exactly the same way. Like "plane" and "plain.
Then is an adverb or adjective.
some examples would be
1) at a time.
"I was at school then"
2) in order
"We went to the library then went back to class
3) in addition
The drinks are $5, then there is tax afterwards.
And much more specific and less used, "then" can be an adjective.
"The executive order DACA was signed by then President Obama".
Than is known as a conjunction, used for comparisons between objects, people, etc
Swedes are better than Danes.
"I like this restaurant better than that restaurant."
if you have more questions please ask.

Wow, that's a great explanation, thanks mr. user.
I've got 2 more questions:
1. I've seen people using "then" in sentences like "X is better thEn Y". Is that a grammar mistake or you can use "then" in that way too?
2. There is some English lastnames with "dick" in them, e.g. "Dickinson", "Dickson", "Dick", etc.
Doesn't it sound funny/ stupid for ears of native English speakers?

What is the best way to learn grammar in english?

no problem, just like to help.
1) actually friend, you'd use than. Think of this symbol, >, greater thAn. that's what I think of for comparisons.
2) yes we have MANY jokes when people are named "Dick", "Butt", etc. One funny thing is that people named "Richard" are also called "dick", as that's the shortened name for them haha.
To read things that are more formal in nature, like newspapers or articles, not just Sup Forums. Do you have any specific questions?

Thanks for answer.
I just know past simple, present simple and future simple, and i have a question what i need to know more?

Is english grammar the most important thing to learn this language ??

English is very, very flexible. It is not the most important part, especially for speaking, but it is a big factor for writing like a native speaker.
For example, in your post
>Is english grammar the most important thing to learn this language ??
you would use the present tense of the verb, not just learn. and you also do not "space" between punctuation at the end.
So it would be,
"Is English grammar the most important thing to learning this language??"
any more questions, friend?

English isn't just very flexible, it also has too fucking many words compared to other languages.
I am trying to learn it like a native, watching anime with English subs, watching movies only in English, shitposting on Sup Forums, etc. Google translate tab is always open in my browser to translate new words.
But still I didn't get even remotely close to a native speakers level. Fuck this shit, I think I'm never gonna be fluent in this language.

If it weren't for your flag I would've assumed you were an American or anglo speaker, m8. Many of those words are used only in specific contexts and you wound't really need them too much. The only ones on there that I see +5 times a week would be catastrophic, anyhow, iffy, infer, flip out, scatterbrained. besides that many of those you would only find in mid-level books. can you read an english young adult book?

I'm C2 in English, but I don't even know how to teach it.

Thanks for flattering, senpai. I got the point, not all words are used everyday. But the problem is that I'm a fucking loser who's got no friends and therefore the only way I consume information in English is through watching anime/movies or reading light novels/manga.
>can you read an english young adult book?
I am currently struggling with Toaru Majutsu no Index light novels, but fuck me, there is so many words there that I never met before. Reading becomes painfully slow and boring, since you have constantly google meaning of a word or whole sentences.
Have tried to read some more complicated shit like H.P.L's horror novels, but they are even more difficult, since they contain many outdated words.

you would say at the last part of your question:
"and I have a question, what more do I need to know?"
so far you type well. do you have any more questions? there is a ceiling to break to communication in English and you've reached it, how much father do you want to go?
Keep going mexi-kun, do you have any questions?
maybe start with something aimed towards a younger audience, and move up from there?
Yes even native speakers struggled with older english - I am currently painstakingly moving through Thomas Hobbes and John Locke - both difficult reads.

No, I mean. I'm C2, I have CPE. I've attained the highest level possible of English.

And yet, I don't even know how to teach it to somebody. Other than telling them some grammatical rules and what stuff means in Spanish, I have no clue how to explain myself.

It's weird. It's like I just know this language because I know it. I don't remember many of the rules. I just KNOW how to use them in the language, you know.

>father
What did you mean by that? "Further"?

Thanks for the advice, will find something more easy to read.

P.S. It would be great to always have these threads, since I always have questions about English.

I meant further, good catch. and you were able to fill it in with the word that was correct.
Yes, I plan to keep the English generals handy, since english is the de-facto language of this board. In a way I'm gonna try to make up for that by helping my non-speakers.
are you a sperg or is it just difficult for you to explain to your students? did you have to take teaching courses?